Photo TR: A.J. versus the 2019 TPR Europe Trip!

Crazy, weird, beautiful, wonderful, hysterical Toverland!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Re: Photo TR: A.J. versus the 2019 TPR Europe Trip!

Postby A.J. » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:06 pm

Thanks for the good words everyone! I love writing these things...

SharkTums wrote:I feel that Symbolica really helped the park become less 'overhyped' in my eyes!

Symbolica was really good. I loved how nearly all of the ride was practical sets, and screens were only used when it made sense for the story (like the mirror scene). The musical score was really nice too, and the pre-show was one of those "you have to see it in person" moments.

The Great Zo wrote:Got some great pictures of the coasters, and several angles I didn't find! Nice work!

Thanks friend! I honestly felt myself getting better at it as the trip went along (except for the Energylandia day because reasons).

DBru wrote:
The Great Zo wrote:I love the indoor section of that ride. As a coaster, it's meh, but the dark ride portion is so good.

Meh?! That’s some of the best almost airtime I’ve ever experienced!!

Aha, there's one of the trip themes. I was wondering when that would come up again! The almost airtime on Flying Dutchman was pretty good but I also preferred the surprise in the indoor section.

Nrthwnd wrote:And I think that the solar paneled roof of Symbolica is one of The Most Beautifully Themed Roofs I've ever seen!

It actually makes me wonder how much of the ride is actually powered by that solar array. The roof is an interesting contrast to say, what we'll probably see of EPCOT's France pavilion show buildings while riding the Disney Skyliner.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Postby A.J. » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:03 am

I'm way late with this one. A lot of unfortunate life circumstances and a hurricane that never actually got to our part of the state have screwed all of my plans / days up. Hopefully I can get back on track here...

Episode 4 - "Turning Toverland Upside-down", or, "If You Don't Get Injured You're Not Doing It Right"

The third day of the Europe trip took us to, basically the middle of nowhere. But there happened to be a theme park in the middle of this nowhere! It's Toverland!

DSC_0776_WM.jpg
The new entrance, and the new logo, fitting with Toverland's pivot to a true fantasy-themed park.

Toverland is, quite simply, one of the most unique theme parks I've ever visited. Efteling is great, some of the later parks on the trip are great, but there is just so much to talk about when it comes to Toverland. So I shall!

For those of you that don't know, Toverland started life as a strictly indoor family entertainment center, because the park's owner wanted to get around the cold weather seasons and operate in some capacity all year. Toverland got popular and started to expand, and recently, they've set their aspirations on becoming a world-class European theme park, with a goal of one million annual visitors. They're getting there, for sure - in 2018, they had over 800 thousand!

DSC_0774_WM.jpg
Troy (TROY!!!) is now one of the prettiest parking lot coasters in the world. But it's still a parking lot coaster.

For our group, a lot of us didn't know what to expect. Some of us, like myself, were experiencing Toverland for the first time. But for others, it was the first time they had seen the park since their most recent expansion, so it was almost like seeing a brand new park!

We arrived and met up with Hanno (Hhappy) who was joining us for this park and the next. But when we got there, we weren't sure what to do! Eventually, Robb and Hanno found the park's new main entrance, and then they found the management.

DSC_0784_WM.jpg
It's a true arrival experience! I've come to understand that it was inspired by the Port of Entry at Islands of Adventure in Florida.

The management took us back for some filming on Fenix, the park's new B&M wing coaster. We all got a whole bunch of rides, and Andy even got a "zen ride", where he got to have an entire train completely to himself!

DSC_0821_WM.jpg
Phoenix phlies! I mean... Fenix flies.

Fenix is pretty fun, though not as fun as that other Phoenix I really like! It was my first wing coaster with a dive drop. The hill after the drop actually gives some decent airtme, and the spiral after the Immelman was pretty intense! Plus, unlike Wild Eagle, the vest harnesses allow for some slack, which means your lungs won't get crushed during the ride. The seats were comfortable, and secure, though having not ridden many wing coasters I often found my legs inadvertently hitting the safety bars attached to the inside seats.

DSC_0800_WM.jpg
It's so GAW-GIUS.

But really, what makes Fenix awesome is its setting. Fenix is part of Toverland's most recent themed expansion, Avalon. The entire area is decked out in intricate rockwork, fantastical theming, Disney-style forced perspective, and lush foliage absolutely everywhere.

DSC_0826_WM.jpg
You can't climb the tower, but you can admire it.

After our quick filming session on Fenix, the park was opened and we were just sort of set loose. Groups split up, while Robb and Hanno went around the park getting new footage on all of the rides. I sort of floated between groups.

The other attraction in Avalon is Merlin's Quest! It's two-thirds outdoor boat ride, one-third indoor dark ride. I had literally zero idea what was going on, but neither did anyone else, so I didn't feel bad.

DSC_0832_WM.jpg
You can also catch a great establishing view of the Flaming Feather restaurant. I absolutely adore green / living roofs!

Next stop was D'wervelwind and, help us all, that thing is nuts.

DSC_0871_WM.jpg
I wish I could stop gushing over how pretty (almost) all of the coasters are around here, but you're just going to have to deal with it.

Everyone says, "oh, it's just a Mack spinner, what could go wrong", and let me tell you, everything did. For one thing, I had no idea which direction the train was facing in the station platform, so I got in the back car thinking it was the front. And then, in the back car, you get whipped and dragged over every hill and turn. Plus, if you end up in an unbalanced car like I was, you spin and spin and spin! All while some interesting magical fantasy soundtrack plays out of speakers right in front of your lap bar!

Ten out of ten. Best ride. Best ride. We did it multiple times and I regretted it every single time after the fact, but I don't regret it now.

DSC_0927_WM.jpg
Theme park, or real life fantasy meadow? It's like the rides don't even exist.

Next on our checklist was Booster Bike. Booster Bike is the first Vekoma motorbike coaster, a system which originally saw use in smaller parks but has since gotten a big upgrade in the two Tron Lightcycle coasters at Disney parks in Florida and China.

Originally the ride was just themed to motorbikes (obviously), but then they decided to put eyeball stickers on the fronts of each seat and play fairy dust sound effects before the launch. I guess that makes it fantasy-themed now?

DSC_1049_WM.jpg
Greetings, programs!

It was fine. Much like Python has for Efteling, Booster Bike has a bit of historical significance for Toverland so it's worth keeping around. It certainly looks gorgeous, with all of the theming around it now.

Finally in the outdoor area, we have Troy (TROY!!!). For many years Troy was considered to be the best coaster to come out of Great Coasters, but it's since been beaten out by Knight Valley's mountain wooden coaster, and others.

DSC_0965_WM.jpg
Troy is probably the only attraction in the park besides the ropes course to still be surrounded by mainly flat, open land. It could really use some screening to bring it in line with Fenix and D'wervelwind.

Here comes an unpopular opinion! I actually liked Joris en de Draak better than Troy! The station fly-by was great and there were some cool pops of air, but I didn't get a whole lot out of Troy. An interesting thing happened though - as we were waiting in the station, the operations folks dropped from two-train operation to one-train. We could actually see them run the second train through the circuit, stop it on the transfer table, and actually push the table to the side so that the first train could run like normal again. The whole process only took a few minutes!

DSC_0882_WM.jpg
The wild Ryan stares at the wooden coaster, contemplating his existence.

Now, let's take a walk inside...

DSC_0889_WM.jpg
Toverland's original bread-and-butter were its indoor areas and its amazing playgrounds. Is it socially acceptable for adults to play on these? Does it even matter? Just go have fun!

We first made a stop inside the Wunderwald building, the park's first indoor expansion. We immediately headed over to Maximus' Blitz Bahn, the park's Bobkart attraction.

Bobkarts are basically powered alpine slides. The vehicle runs in an open trough and you can control its speed. Unfortunately, Blitz Bahn ended up being the longest wait of the day - I believe we waited at least a half hour for it. That being said, I finally got to ride a Bobkart! I've been wanting to ride one of those for years and it was totally worth it!

DSC_0913_WM.jpg
Up, down, left, right, forward, backward... This flume has it.

Staying in the same area, we putted over to Expedition Zork, the log flume. Expedition Zork (nee Backstroke) is one of those interesting log flumes that uses turntables to change the directions of the logs. You turn backwards at the top of the first lift, go over the first drop backward, turn forwards in the middle of the second lift, turn ninety degrees at the highest point, and go over the largest drop facing forward. Plus, it runs both indoors and outdoors! It was really fun and even when you ride in the front (like I did) you don't get wet enough to have soggy socks all day.

DSC_1036_WM.jpg
On some log flumes like this one, the splash channel is actually elevated above the main water source.

We moved over to the Land von Toos building to satisfy the needs of the credit whores on the trip and took a spin on Toos Express, one of the park's original attractions and a custom Vekoma junior coaster. For what it was it was actually really fun and we got two laps!

DSC_0919_WM.jpg
No, Toos Express is not on the Coaster Poll. No, we won't be adding it.

The group I was with then wandered back over to Avalon to try out the new Flaming Feather restaurant. I had a really good burger there! We were then informed we were leaving early, so I bugged out of the restaurant to poke around Fenix and take some photos.

DSC_0852_WM.jpg
Of course, I had to get another one of the Flaming Feather because it's probably my favorite theme park restaurant I've ever seen, at least in terms of architecture.

With time winding down I ran over to the ropes course, but unfortunately there wasn't enough time for me to participate. I found some others and patiently waited for the rest of the group to take their turns. I was certainly not disappointed, as there were a wide range of emotions from the ropes course crew, including...

DSC_0987.jpg
Confidence...

DSC_1001.jpg
Determination...

DSC_1006.jpg
Dramaticism...

DSC_1030.jpg
...and regret.

And that was it for Toverland! I freaking loved this place. It's probably the most unique theme park I've ever been to, and I say that even after experiencing all of the other parks on the trip. Toverland isn't even twenty years old, and yet, here they are, growing and changing into something beyond the scope of their original vision. The staff and management were so good to us, and despite us visiting on a summer Saturday, crowds were beyond manageable. If I were to make a "bonus" stop in the Netherlands before another trip, I'm honestly not sure which park I would go to! They're all so cool!

Enjoy some more photos...

DSC_0827_WM.jpg
These rides may be brand new, but they look like they've belonged here for years.

DSC_0935_WM.jpg
Dive! Dive! Dive!

DSC_0940_WM.jpg
I wish I could get this close to roller coasters in the United States without signing a "you might die and we won't be held responsible" waiver.

DSC_0947_WM.jpg
Bridge to Toverland.

DSC_0978_WM.jpg
So, how exactly did this park look ten years ago again?

DSC_0896_WM.jpg
Only a few of us were able to keep up with Kristen on this thing. I was one of those people, though not without a big bruise on my calf. Elissa told us that if you don't get injured at Toverland you're not doing it right, so, successful rite of passage for me!

DSC_1044_WM.jpg
Normally you don't want theming from other areas to be seen from where you're standing, as it breaks immersion. However, all of Toverland's themes work so well together, so it fits!

DSC_0967_WM.jpg
How about some stealth marketing?

DSC_0868_WM.jpg
Even the indoor building fits right in!

Thoughts and musings:

• Weirdly, I rarely rode any of the park's coasters more than once, with the exceptions being Fenix (for morning filming) and D'wervelwind (twice total). I guess I was just so enthralled by taking everything in! I even missed some areas like further inside the Land von Toos, and further in the Magische Vallei area near the rafting ride. More fun for next time!
  • I know that generally things in Europe are better than the United States, but the stairs in the park, especially in the Fenix queue / platform, were ridiculous. They were steep, narrow, and slippery. I know I'm young and shouldn't be complaining but there were a few times were I almost tripped and fell down.
  • Of course, I'm obsessed with the number of playgrounds and play areas in the park. It's part of what makes it so unique.
  • I was recently doing some research on the park for another project, and going back to see Theme Park Review's visit from 2005 in the park index. It's astounding how much this park has changed. What used to be an open field behind Booster Bike is now a wonderful landscaped themed area and I just love it.
  • Do I think that Toverland will be on the level of Efteling in terms of attendance in ten years? I'm not sure. But I absolutely think that they will break one million visitors, and sooner than you think. I have so little bad things to say about the park. They may not have anything that would make us go nuts with excitement, but everything in the park is so lovely and it makes it a wonderful place to spend time.

Thanks for reading! Next time... Walibi Holland, The Grafitti Lover's Paradise!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby CenturyFlyer » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:46 pm

Wonderfully detailed report. All the indoor areas look very cool, and the theming seems to be truly top-notch. I know I pretty much reiterated what you just said, but great job! It's a long shot, but I'd love to visit someday.
There is only one true Blue Streak!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:12 pm

I have always loved Toverland and even through its dramatic upgrades it's still retained everything that I love about it. I wish them continued success!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:52 pm

Great report! It's incredible to see how much this park has grown. And from my visit last month, I'd say they're on track for that visitor mark. Everything had a full queue when I was there!

IMG_9205.JPG
This was Booster Bike's line. All switchbacks were filled and the line ran down the midway.

I agree Joris was surprisingly better than Troy. I always heard Troy was the best GCI, but I found it more towards the middle of the pack (still good though).
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:07 pm

I'm very impressed with Toverland in everyone's reports. You've really made a great case for why it's so special.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby Invertalon » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:14 am

We absolutely loved Toverland! The ‘charm’ was just too cool. We had more fun and enjoyed it more than we had expected to.

Fenix was great fun and Troy to me was a highlight… I love GCI’s and this was no exception. Moved up to probably my #1 wood coaster, honestly! I also liked the racing GCI’s at Efteling (and the one at Europa wasn’t too shabby either!), but Troy took top spot.

It also helped the day we were at Toverland, it was completely DEAD. Beautiful day, as well. But re-riding Fenix in front row, lap after lap (as well as Troy) was just awesome.

We look forward to getting back to this park in the next few years!
-Steve

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:22 am

Fenix was a pleasant surprise, as I don't care for B&M Wing Coasters overall. I think it's because the ride doesn't seem to "meander" like the other ones do--it goes through its "tricks" quickly.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:00 pm

I've never been to Toverland, but it definitely defines what is so alluring to me about European theme parks. It's a world so unlike the parks we know in the U.S. In fact, dare I say, it takes Walt Disney's Fantasyland concept to a whole next level. Scrolling thru the photos, Toverland appears to be an enchanted one-of-a-kind place of fun and fantasy. Quite a journey! Thanks, A.J!

Alice

Postby A.J. » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:29 am

Thanks for reading and responding everyone!

Canobie Coaster wrote:Great report! It's incredible to see how much this park has grown. And from my visit last month, I'd say they're on track for that visitor mark. Everything had a full queue when I was there!

We experienced shorter-than-normal queues for everything except Blitz Bahn, for obvious reasons. The only rides that weren't nearly walk-ons were Booster Bike, which I believe we waited 10-15 minutes for, and Expedition Zork, which we waited 15-20 minutes for. Blitz Bahn was at least a half hour.

It was ironic because we all were expecting a ridiculous day, being a Summer Saturday.

I agree Joris was surprisingly better than Troy. I always heard Troy was the best GCI, but I found it more towards the middle of the pack (still good though).

Troy certainly wasn't anywhere near close to "bad", for sure. But it is basically a parking lot coaster (albeit one of the best-looking parking lot coasters). There's not a whole lot that makes it really interesting apart from the usual Great Coasters pops of airtime (which there are plenty of), and the station fly-through.

cfc wrote:Fenix was a pleasant surprise, as I don't care for B&M Wing Coasters overall. I think it's because the ride doesn't seem to "meander" like the other ones do--it goes through its "tricks" quickly.

Yeah, Fenix is definitely the "good" version of new-school B&M. It was intense but not aggressive, and it didn't overstay its welcome.

ObeyTheShihTzu! wrote:In fact, dare I say, it takes Walt Disney's Fantasyland concept to a whole next level. Scrolling thru the photos, Toverland appears to be an enchanted one-of-a-kind place of fun and fantasy.

It does for sure, but it's kind of like an earlier version of Fantasyland in that it's mostly made up of themed "outdoor-type" attractions. There's nothing there today that I would classify as a "Disney E-Ticket" in the 2019 standard. But those "off-shelf" attractions are wrapped up with some of the most gorgeous landscape architecture I've ever seen in a theme park.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!