Photo TR: A.J. versus the 2019 TPR Europe Trip!

Walibi Holland and the attack of the Instagram influencers!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Re: Photo TR: A.J. versus the 2019 TPR Europe Trip!

Postby A.J. » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:53 am

DBru wrote:Did you get the chance to ride the megalite inside Kinderland?

There was a Mega Lite inside Kinderland and I missed it?!?

SharkTums wrote:I also found Fury to be the real surprise hit of the trip. I hope we see a lot more of these start being built!

Fury was so good. It kind of makes me want to go ride some of the others of its type like Karnan, or Junker, or HangTime.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Postby A.J. » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:19 pm

Episode 2 - "A Quick Romp Through Amsterdam", or, "What I Thought Was A Quick Romp But Actually Wasn't"

The official first day of this year's Europe trip was actually a half day, we didn't intend on departing for Efteling until the afternoon. That gave me the chance to experience a little slice of Amsterdam, having had to rush to the hotel the day before.

First thing's first - Amsterdam's public transportation systems are ridiculously easy to navigate even as someone who has never had to really use public transportation before. You go up to the kiosk, you get your ticket, you scan to go through the gates, and you board. I've never seen such a seamless experience outside of MagicBands at Walt Disney World. It's too bad that no major cities in the United States seem to have it as good as Amsterdam - the tram cars are swipe in / swipe out, the metro trains are clean, the intercity trains are comfortable... It's like I had stepped foot into a first-world country.

I took the train into the city, but sadly without the intention to try out one of the [apparently] amazing coffee shops. Instead, I went somewhere else.

DSC_0181_WM.jpg
I saw some canals...

DSC_0189_WM.jpg
...and some architecture...

DSC_0196_WM.jpg
...and some tram cars! Watch the tram car please!

After getting off of the tram car and snapping a few photos of the nearby canals, I began a hike that ended up being way longer than I intended it to be...

Behold, the Vondelpark!

DSC_0204_WM.jpg

The park is named after a Dutch playwright, Joost van den Vondel. It's pretty big, 47 hectares. One fun fact is that apparently, you are allowed to have sex in the park during evening hours, so long as it's not near the park's playground, for obvious reasons. If that, plus Amsterdam's red light district, don't convince you of Amsterdam's attitude toward the fun times, then, well, you should probably have your eyes examined.

The park itself is just drop dead gorgeous everywhere. There are so many nice places where you can sit down in the shade, or you can take a walk in the rose garden, or just relax on the swaths of open lawns. After a hectic day on the plane to get to Amsterdam and the day at Bobbejaanland, it was nice to just sit down, breathe, and be grateful that I made it to the Netherlands in one piece in the first place.

I expected to walk a lot - I probably walked over two and a half miles inside the park and still found new things to see! I was diligent on my time as I was there but there was just a little bit of dread when I realized that I was all the way at the west end of the park and had to make the trek all- the- way- back. It certainly made the bus ride to Efteling much more comfortable.

Note: No cyclists, nor redheads, were harmed in the making of this trip report.

I'll let the photos speak for themselves... Next time, is it really true that Efteling is better than a Disney park?
DSC_0220_WM.jpg
DSC_0239_WM.jpg
DSC_0256_WM.jpg
DSC_0288_WM.jpg
DSC_0299_WM.jpg
DSC_0309_WM.jpg
DSC_0318_WM.jpg
DSC_0336_WM.jpg
DSC_0347_WM.jpg
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Postby A.J. » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:45 pm

Episode 3 - "Is Efteling Really Better Than a Disney Park?", or, "Don't Take The Flying Dutchman's Dining Sock"

The first official park on the trip was a good one - Efteling!

As everyone with a pulse knows, the Disney parks are often labeled as the de facto standard for theme parks around the world. Every major theme park has probably been compared to a Disney park at least once by someone, somewhere. Throughout Europe there are a few that are compared to Disney most of all - those include Europa Park and Phantasialand in Germany, PortAventura in Spain... and of course, Efteling, in the Netherlands.

Some people think it's better than any Disney park. Some people think it's better than every theme park.

My take? Efteling is its own special place, and you should throw those comparisons out the window. Sure, Efteling follows a similar formula to theme parks worldwide - develop attractions based around well-known stories. But Efteling does everything in such a unique way that you can't fathom any other theme park trying to emulate their approach. Whether you believe that their approach works, or is deserving of the hype, well, that's completely up to you!

Am I crazy? I sure am! But you should keep reading anyway.

After my romp through the Vondelpark, I made it back to the hotel to join the rest of the group, and we headed out to Efteling for that afternoon and evening. We stayed at the on-site Efteling Hotel, which is designed to look like a floating castle. After dropping everything off we were set free into the park.

I joined a group and we went straight into Vogel Rok, which I generally enjoyed. We then made our way around the park and paid our respects to Bob with a condolence ride, and I wish Bob a happy retirement. Next was a lap on Python, and then the final highlight of that evening was a first ride on Baron 1898, and I'll get to both of those later. We intended to get a ride on Joris en de Draak as well, but it went down and according to Andy, they were pounding on it all the way up to closing.

After a hysterically long drinking game of guessing the capitals of world countries, we turned in, and the next morning, we began our Efteling visit in earnest.

We had filming opportunities on four rides that morning! First up was Python.

Originally, Efteling was made up completely of the Fairytale Forest walk-through area. But in the late 1970s, someone had the bright idea to turn Efteling into a true theme park, and they needed an attraction to put them on the map. They hired a then newly-independent Vekoma to build their first looping coaster, much to the kicking and screaming of the neighbors. Over the years Python has gotten improvements to its cars, and for last season (2018), Efteling hired Dutch company CSM to completely re-profile the ride from the bottom of the drop to the brake run.

The result is... Fine! Python is pretty smooth, but kind of boring. Nevertheless, it is a significant historical coaster for the park and I'm glad they've kept it around.

DSC_0377_WM.jpg
Python is certainly one of the best-LOOKING Vekoma coasters out there!

DSC_0383_WM.jpg
You can see how Python still uses the original Vekoma track for the lift hill, turn, and first drop. Have I satisfied your craving for nerd shots now?

After a few laps on Python, we were informed that Joris en de Draak was repaired and ready for us to ride on.

Joris en de Draak is considered by some to be a "junior Lightning Racer" - a racing / dueling Great Coasters wooden coaster. Two dragons, Water and Fire (Vurr) face off, sometimes running side by side, sometimes crossing over each other, and sometimes coming at each other. The winner of each race gets fanfare at the end, including banners dropped in the station as the corresponding train pulls in. It's really neat!

While I don't like Joris en de Draak as much as I do Lightning Racer, it's still near the top of my Great Coasters coaster list. The setting is wonderful, the racing and dueling moments are exciting, and the coasters themselves are just plain fun. Never once did I end up with a "wooden coaster headache" after riding.

On a sentimental note, it also reminded me of East Coast Bash 2011 at Hersheypark, my first real Theme Park Review experience, when we had evening exclusive ride time on Lightning Racer.

DSC_0378_WM.jpg
You see, the REAL question is... Which one is George and which one is the dragon?

Third on our filming list was a surprise, the Vliegende Hollander, or Flying Dutchman. Flying Dutchman is a custom water coaster by KumbaK, the Dutch company that we know as providing trains for suspended looping coasters like T3 and Arkham Asylum Shock Therapy.

To put it simply it's "scarier Pirates of the Caribbean in roller coaster form", but it's actually a bit different. Instead of bombarding you in the face with animatronic figures and grandiose settings, Flying Dutchman does a lot to establish a sense of creepy, scary ambiance. It also has a surprise before the outdoor coaster section that really caught myself and most others by surprise. Also, for a water ride, the splash doesn't get you all that wet so long as you're sitting in the back half of the boat. It was actually really good!

DSC_0365_WM.jpg
Yo ho, a pirate's life for...wait a second.

DSC_0419_WM.jpg
SKLOOOOOOOOSH!

Our last filming coaster was to be Baron 1898, but it was down during the morning. Onto other things, we suppose! Let's talk about those dark rides...

Fata Morgana is the park's Arabian-themed boat ride. For whatever reason someone (Barry) kept trying to convince me that there was a drop, but it never happened and the payback is later in this photo trip report.

Carnival Festival is the park's (formerly more racist, apparently) knockoff of It's A Small World, with a thankfully less catchy tune. Colin and I enjoyed it enough.

Villa Volta is one of the few operating Vekoma Mad House rides, and it was my first. It was too disorientating and while I didn't get sick, everyone else can ride those from now on.

Dreamflight (Droomvlucht) was Efteling's signature dark ride up from the early 1990s up until 2017. It uses a suspended ride system to fly through some wonderful, completely practical show scenes, to a beautiful music score. I can't really figure out why, but I really, really liked Dreamflight and it still sticks with me. Some people also consider it a credit, too!

Symbolica, now Efteling's signature ride, is a really cool trackless dark ride with three variants, and to get the credit, you have to ride all three. A lot of young people in my field gush over Symbolica and like to use it as an example of how Efteling is beginning to steal Disney's lunch money. I definitely think it's on the level of the best dark rides I've ridden at Disney parks, but I have yet to try their truly trackless rides like Mystic Manor and Pooh's Hunny Hunt, so I can't come to a conclusion either way. All I know is that I really liked it as well!

DSC_0688_WM.jpg
Quick! Let's make up some magic words for the main character to say during the ride! Brilliant!

Efteling's comparisons to Disney parks are even more relevant now, because there is now a distinct promenade that leads from the entrance right up to Symbolica, much like Main Street USA leads Disney guests up to their castles, but without the stores and buildings.

A group of us also visited Efteling's headlining attraction, the Fairytale Forest. Let's take a look at some highlights...

DSC_0491_WM.jpg
Hang on here, Monstro, I need to massage your tongue...

DSC_0527_WM.jpg
Hang on here, mister giant, I just need to steal I MEAN SMELL your feet...

DSC_0538_WM.jpg
Hang on here, children, I just need to look shocked until the Americans go away...

DSC_0571.jpg
Hang on here, everyone, I just need to make sure you all know that it's longer than average...

And of course, the main event, the Magic Donkey!

DSC_0506_WM.jpg
This brings a whole new meaning to, "put your quarter in and take your turn"...

For the uninitiated, when you put fifty cents into the coin slot below the Magic Donkey, it hee-haws, raises its tail, and literally poops out a plastic souvenir coin. It was hilarious to see everyone attempt to grab their coins and I failed pretty spectacularly as well.

Seriously though, the Fairytale Forest is awesome and is a HUGE contrast from shows and meet-and-greets at U.S. theme parks. While U.S. theme parks turn shows and experiences into long, drawn out narratives, the Fairytale Forest knows that your time is important. Each little setup is meant to only be seen for three or four minutes tops, before moving onto the next one. It keeps the mind moving and helps when children (and certain redheaded theme park enthusiasts) have the attention spans of rodents. There's really always something cool and interesting to see along every pathway. Plus, it's in a very logical loop so it's difficult to get lost - just keep moving forward and you'll find your way out!

There's also a wonderful play area nearby, with an elevated monorail!

DSC_0592_WM.jpg
This probably the most gorgeous play area I've ever seen and I just wanted to sit and relax for the entire day.

DSC_0595_WM.jpg
It's so well-hidden, so secluded... It's really blink and you miss it.

DSC_0588.jpg
Daniel and Andy having a moment on the see-saw.

I eventually broke off to take some more photos in the area around Joris en de Draak, the Gondoletta, and Baron 1898. As I was over on the opposite side of Baron 1898's layout, I saw the wheel at the top of the lift turn, and, sure enough, they had started cycling trains!

I put on my best "man on the street" hat and kept watch, and sure enough, Baron 1898 opened back up to guests. The park's management was wonderful - they still let us film on the ride! They had a really great strategy of keeping two trains for guests and one for us, so that normal operations weren't disturbed from our filming session.

DSC_0423_WM.jpg
So, which is the more appropriate caption? "DON'T LOOK DOWN" or "TAKE THE TUNNEL"?

I really liked Baron 1898. The theming was wonderful. I understood the pre-show even without the language barrier. The first sequence where the ghost ladies get scary and possess the mine shaft lift to start the lift hill is probably the best single themed roller coaster moment I've ever experienced and it works SO well. You get some excellent hang-over while being held at the top of the drop, and the zero-G roll is really fun. It's in the top tier of my coaster rankings because it's such a good complete experience.

After nearly a full day of exploring, we were corralled back toward Dreamflight and Villa Volta to see Efteling's stunt show, Raveleijn!

Raveleijn (that's "rav-ell-ein") is a story-based stunt show that involves a group of kids turned knights who fight the bad guys to save the princess, who, in the end, turns out to not be the best person herself. Of course, throughout the show, there are crazy things that happen such as...

DSC_0663_WM.jpg
HORSE! ON! FIIIEEEE-AAAAHHHHH!

DSC_0676_WM.jpg
Dragon! On fire and steam and water and unicorn farts and and donkey coins!

Later in the evening, we got to check out Aquanura, the park's fountain show, and unfortunately my camera battery ran out! Quite frankly though, I don't really see the appeal of Aquanura. The fountains look nice for sure, but the music they set the show to was a set of electronic dance remixes of the ride themes throughout the park. Now, I love EDM, but I did not like the Aquanura remix AT ALL. It reeked of the "bad" kind of EDM which doesn't really have anything other than a pulsing beat.

It was okay though, because the show was still pretty decent and was a nice capstone to our day and a half at the park.

Enjoy some more photos!

DSC_0374_WM.jpg
Most of the trash bins at Efteling are actually characters, where you place your trash in a certain place, such as the cannon here or in a character's mouth. They basically shout at you to put trash in, and thank you when you eventually do.

DSC_0628_WM.jpg
Here's another cool section of the park with some rides and the Efteling museum. If you look closely you'll see a fellow photography nerd in there somewhere, but I've heard he's a little more slick behind the camera than I am.

DSC_0613_WM.jpg
So, remember when I said that Python had some trouble because of Efteling's neighbors? That's because Efteling is right up against the village of Kaatsheuvel and its surrounding areas. I've heard that potential noise pollution is a huge issue with these people whenever Efteling wants to build something new. You can choose the side you're on with THAT one.

DSC_0720_WM.jpg
Baron 1898 looping and swooping. It IS really good.

DSC_0694_WM.jpg
Here's something interesting. Efteling knew that people were going to be able to see the roof of the Symbolica show building from the Pagode observation tower, so they went through the extra effort to make the roof look nice. That sort of thing takes Efteling up a few more notches in my book and I can appreciate it as a designer in the theme park business.

DSC_0736_WM.jpg
Once you go up, there's only one way down...

DSC_0761_WM.jpg
One perfectly-framed promenade, and one perfectly-bored dad.

DSC_0763_WM.jpg
I really do like this place. A whole lot. While I don't think that it's my favorite theme park in the world, I do get where the hype comes from and I certainly don't think it's overrated! It's wonderful, and special, and that's why it matters to me.

Random thoughts and musings:

• Funny story, I know a lot of people just adore the park entrance and their trips to Efteling aren't complete without a photo of it from the parking lot, but I actually completely forgot about it! That last photo was the only one I took of the entrance.
  • Stroopwafels and Pofferjes are AMAZING and I absolutely have to find somewhere near me that makes them even close to as well as the ones I had at Efteling.
  • The Steam Carousel was...interesting. Certainly some historical value there, but it really didn't feel like a traditional carousel to me. Perhaps that's the point?
  • Efteling is MASSIVE and the walk from our viewing location for Aquanura back to the Efteling Hotel rear park entrance is probably most difficult slog I've ever done at a theme park.
  • The Raveleijn dinner after the show was absolutely delightful and really tasty. Bonus points to the chicken catchers.
  • A lot of people like to call Baron 1898 the best themed roller coaster in the world. Going off of what I said before, I personally think it's one of the best complete experiences I've ever seen built around an outdoor roller coaster. There are some that may have better rockwork (like Taron) or a better queue (like Expedition Everest), but, in it's own way, it can go toe-to-toe with some of the best themed roller coasters out there.
  • Apparently I was less than two seconds away from completely steamrolling a small child as I came down one of the slides at the playground. Also, apparently, Daniel and Andy found it hilarious.

Thanks for reading!

Next time - getting injured at Toverland!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:12 pm

Great report! I agree Efteling is fantastic. I only saw the Fairytale Forest at night, so it was nice to see some of the parts I missed like the pooping donkey. I'll have to see that one in person next time!
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Hamburg DOM & Heide Park

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:25 pm

^^ Great Efteling TR! And I think that the solar paneled roof of Symbolica is one of The Most Beautifully Themed Roofs I've ever seen! Looking forward to your take on Toverland - and hope you didn't get toooo injured, there. :wink:
Last edited by Nrthwnd on Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:28 pm.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:58 am

I feel that Symbolica really helped the park become less 'overhyped' in my eyes!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:51 am

SharkTums wrote:I feel that Symbolica really helped the park become less 'overhyped' in my eyes!

Agreed. I've been to Efteling many times now since 2002 and I had always felt the park seemed VERY "overhyped" but it has most certainly grown on me over the years and the new ride most absoultely helped.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby The Great Zo » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:02 pm

Got some great pictures of the coasters, and several angles I didn't find! Nice work!

A.J. wrote:Flying Dutchman does a lot to establish a sense of creepy, scary ambiance. It also has a surprise before the outdoor coaster section that really caught myself and most others by surprise.

I love the indoor section of that ride. As a coaster, it's meh, but the dark ride portion is so good.

A.J. wrote:It was hilarious to see everyone attempt to grab their coins and I failed pretty spectacularly as well.

The donkey has some, er, consistency problems, and most of us failed because of it!

A.J. wrote:Apparently I was less than two seconds away from completely steamrolling a small child as I came down one of the slides at the playground. Also, apparently, Daniel and Andy found it hilarious.

Kid shouldn't have been standing at the end of the slide!!!

A.J. wrote:... you'll see a fellow photography nerd in there somewhere, but I've heard he's a little more slick behind the camera than I am.

I hear he's usually trying to stay out of photos, but that's near-impossible on a TPR trip, so even he gives up after a while. :lmao:
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR
Trip Reports: 2015 CP -- 2017 FL -- 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:36 pm

The Great Zo wrote:
A.J. wrote:Flying Dutchman does a lot to establish a sense of creepy, scary ambiance. It also has a surprise before the outdoor coaster section that really caught myself and most others by surprise.

I love the indoor section of that ride. As a coaster, it's meh, but the dark ride portion is so good.

Meh?! That’s some of the best almost airtime I’ve ever experienced!!

A.J. wrote:Apparently I was less than two seconds away from completely steamrolling a small child as I came down one of the slides at the playground. Also, apparently, Daniel and Andy found it hilarious.

Definitely a highlight moment of the trip for me. Thanks for the reminder!

Great coverage of Efteling, AJ! I’d repeat this park (again) in a heartbeat! Super unique and fun, even without the most stellar ride collection in the world.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:10 pm

Great report! Loving the story telling and great photos.
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!