RMCs & Poffertjes: Chuck & TPR 's 2019 Europe Trip

UPDATE: Grona Lund, p. 12
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: RMCs & Poffertjes: Chuck & TPR 's 2019 Europe Trip

Postby cfc » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:16 am

jedimaster1227 wrote:Wacky theming aside, I really do appreciate just how much Walibi has invested in its parks to make them their own thing compared to feeling like Six Flags' old European parks. Their recent investments really show that they're serious about keeping these parks vibrant and revisit-friendly!

Exactly. I think all this park really needs is a first-class shooting dark ride like the ones at Walibi Belgium. It's been fun visiting every few years and seeing how Walibi Holland keeps improving.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:46 am

^^&^ To be fair though, Six Flags actually did a really nice job with their European parks.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:03 am

SharkTums wrote:^^&^ To be fair though, Six Flags actually did a really nice job with their European parks.

Yep--and Walibi got Goliath out of that deal. The park has an interesting history, and it's good to see it growing and thriving.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:49 pm

The divergent direction by Walibi Holland and Walibi Belgium regarding capital improvements is interesting. Walibi Belgium is taking a more family friendly approach. although their Intamin is coming
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:54 pm

^It kind of makes sense if you think about what are the two closest major parks to Walibi Holland. Efteling and Toverland. They've pretty much got the family market locked up and for good reason. Walibi Holland was smart to go after a slightly different demographic.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:27 pm

How to Kill Time Before Going to Poland: Drievliet & Duinrell

It was time to check out of the Efteling Hotel, but we had plenty of time to kill before our flight to Poland. So, why not visit two nice Dutch “family parks”?

This will be the last time you hear “I last visited [PARK NAME HERE] in 2008,” but that was the last time I was at Drievliet with TPR. Oddly enough, aside from a new section of flat rides themed (or perhaps re-themed) to being “under the sea,” and a big highway construction zone out front, this little park hadn’t changed much. Its big attraction was still Formule X, a lunched Maurer Shone X Car coaster. This ride had become a bit rougher than I remembered from last time, but it was still pretty good. The launch is intense, and you get some good air time on the hills. It was a good filming session on this coaster.

I was pleased to see that the wonderfully bizarre "singing barn" animatronic show was still there. It's both hilarious and disturbing.

Duinrell was all new to me. It’s sort of the “Dutch Knoebels,” because it’s surrounded by a heavy stand of woods, and many people camp there. You can even pitch a tent in the amusement area (lots of people did).

The big ride here was an old Eurofigher named Falcon, and it was OK. The park had two other family coasters (a Gerstlauer and a Zirer Tivoli), which were pretty good for what they were, along with a good-sized assortment of flats and those crazy Nautic Jet jumping boats (with the obligatory pond filled with green slime).

Duinrell was a pretty park, and it was very busy that day. I liked it, and it was a good way to kill time before heading back to Amsterdam to catch our flight.
001.jpg
Is Drievilet an amusement park or a construction zone? Why not both? We had to park in a lot across the highway and walk a bridge over a construction zone to get to the park.
002.jpg
This is weirdest “Cirque” act ever.
004.jpg
Where’s the entrance to Formule X? If only there were a sign to tell us!
006.jpg
This is an interesting ride to find in a little family park. The launch is pretty crazy.
007.jpg
You’re tigers! Show me your claws!
008.jpg
Now let’s see some jazz hands.
009.jpg
It does this, too. Yes, such an interesting choice for a “kiddie” park.
012.jpg
The giant owl landed, spread its wings, and said, “Arise, Twistrix! I invoke thee!”
013.jpg
Hmm--I think the giant owl may have also invoked demons in the form of barnyard animals.
015.jpg
Behold the Goat of Mendes--the Devil himself!
016.jpg
Is it a cat or a rat? This question has baffled scientists and theologians alike for centuries.
017.jpg
Er, get a room . . .
018.jpg
. . . or perhaps a teacup.
021.jpg
I do believe these young fellows enjoyed the break-dance ride. At least I think it’s a break-dance ride. Flats aren’t my thing.
022.jpg
Spookmuseum is more my speed.
023.jpg
I cannot share the exquisite terror of this attraction, as I’m not sure your minds could take it! (Plus, my photos of the inside didn’t turn out.)
026.jpg
“I got it! I got it! I got it!”
027.jpg
“I don’t got it.”
029.jpg
Welcome to Duinrell! Nothing political here. Sometimes a frog is just a frog.
030.jpg
What sorcery is this? Burn the witch!
031.jpg
“Hello! I’m an apolitical frog reminding you to put your trash in proper receptacles. Thank you!”
032.jpg
Duinrell is right purty.
033.jpg
Hmm--interesting way to theme a jump-boat ride. They should get "Game of Thrones" to sponsor this attraction.
034.jpg
“Almost there . . . dammit! Still failed to cross the pond!”
035.jpg
Andy has found a more practical way to get across the water.
036.jpg
I think the ducks could walk across this stuff if they wanted to.
037.jpg
Let’s explore the rest of . . . hey, watch out, you little bastard!
038.jpg
Like many European parks, Duinrell offers plenty of opportunities for you to injure yourself.
039.jpg
Last chance for poffertjes before Poland.
040.jpg
I don’t think even Knoebels allows guests to put up tents in the amusement area.
041.jpg
They even theme their rides a bit here.
042.jpg
Falcon was OK for an old Eurofighter.
043.jpg
It bangs you around a little bit, as you might expect.
044.jpg
But they seemed to like it.
045.jpg
Dragon Fly is pretty educational . . .
046.jpg
. . . for a family coaster. Onward to Poland!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:22 am

Nice report!

I thought Drievliet was a lot better than I remembered. Front area was cleaned up, less 'concrete' around, and once that front path gets done it will be really easy to get to!

Duinrell doesn't have the best rides or anything, but I just really like the atmosphere and the food!

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:48 am

I enjoyed visiting Duinrell for its pleasant setting, even if the park was pretty crowded.

Started going through my Energylandia photos last night--boy, was it gloomy that day.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:52 am

^In more ways than one! =)

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:13 am

Great update! My mom and brother went to Amsterdam recently and I shared a handful of your pictures encouraging them to eat as many poffertjes as they could and they did!
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!