Another Frisbee Pendulum Accident In India

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Another Frisbee Pendulum Accident In India

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:28 pm

There ares several counterweight models all over the US. Spin Cycle at Silverwood comes to mind. Obviously that one is a very different make, model, and size.

Honestly, just looking at that ride visually, it makes complete sense how it snapped. That arm is way too long and thin to support the shear stress of a rider gondola that size. You don't even have to have an understanding of statics or dynamics to recognize that. Some engineers didn't do their homework...

It's unfortunate when this stuff happens, where it is completely out of the riders' control. It was completely preventable had the ride been properly designed. I don't even think this is a result of poor maintenance/inspection, it's just a terrible design that is in the hands of the engineers who designed it. They could drop this exact ride at any park here in the US and I don't even think I would've ridden it simply because of how it looks!
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby jamesk25 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:14 pm

News footage showing the overall damage plus a view of the broken support arm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYFfhUH8dEA

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby Rai Fox » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:07 am

A news channel in India is reporting that six people have been charged with negligent homicide already. While I wouldn't be surprised at all that there are people at fault for negligence here, I can't imagine how there's been any sort of proper investigation already. Apparently that six includes the ride operators, who I can't imagine had anything to do with a structural failure. Sounds far too much like just finding someone they can blame.

As per the FIR, six people - Super Star Amusement Private Limited's managing director Ghanshyam Patel, his son Bhavesh Patel, manager Rajesh Chowksi, ride operators Yash Patel and Kishan Mohanti and helper Manish Vaghela - have been charged for culpable homicide not amounting to murder, the official said.

https://www.ndtv.com/ahmedabad-news/6-charged-after-2-dead-27-injured-in-ahmedabad-amusement-park-accident-2069909

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Samuel » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:13 pm

I think:

(1) These accidents are terrible.

(2) I'm sorry for the people who are hurt or killed in any amusement accident.

(3) Credible/accountable manufacturers, operators, and maintenance are the way to go.

(4) Don't eat gas station sushi! If you notice the backseat of an old Buick installed on your next slingshot ride, yes, do think twice.

(5) Incidents and ride safety can be discussed without fearmongering entire populations. After the Ohio State Fair death, the particulars of the incident and carnival rides in general were questioned -- not Ohioans and Americans. But since these Frisbee accidents occurred internationally, here comes the narrative that the other countries have some backwards, undesirable nature that's reflected in the accidents. No thanks on that xenophobic stuff. India's not in my travel plans, but I appreciate that not every place exists to be my vacation. If the designers blew it with these Frisbees, start there. Even if ride safety standards and maintenance stink all across India, then address them, but not by making the people of different countries out to be "eww."

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby Rai Fox » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:40 pm

Samuel wrote:I think:

(1) These accidents are terrible.

(2) I'm sorry for the people who are hurt or killed in any amusement accident.

(3) Credible/accountable manufacturers, operators, and maintenance are the way to go.

(4) Don't eat gas station sushi! If you notice the backseat of an old Buick installed on your next slingshot ride, yes, do think twice.

(5) Incidents and ride safety can be discussed without fearmongering entire populations. After the Ohio State Fair death, the particulars of the incident and carnival rides in general were questioned -- not Ohioans and Americans. But since these Frisbee accidents occurred internationally, here comes the narrative that the other countries have some backwards, undesirable nature that's reflected in the accidents. No thanks on that xenophobic stuff. India's not in my travel plans, but I appreciate that not every place exists to be my vacation. If the designers blew it with these Frisbees, start there. Even if ride safety standards and maintenance stink all across India, then address them, but not by making the people of different countries out to be "eww."

:nina: :nina: :nina:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:22 pm

amy_mel wrote:
DoinItForTheFame wrote:WOW. Are these things really that prone to failure. Yikes.

At least when this one fell it fell straight down... So hopefully that minimized the injures?

No such luck. 2 dead and many injured. It smashed off the support and you can see someone go flying off. The video I saw was EXTREMELY graphic, showing up close the rescue efforts.

Yikes! - Yeah, I’ll admit I didn’t watch the video that closely.... I’d be traumatized for life.

Thoughts are with the injured and the deceased’s families. Awful, awful accident. :(
Bigger is not always better.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby amy_mel » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:45 pm

DoinItForTheFame wrote:
amy_mel wrote:
DoinItForTheFame wrote:WOW. Are these things really that prone to failure. Yikes.

At least when this one fell it fell straight down... So hopefully that minimized the injures?

No such luck. 2 dead and many injured. It smashed off the support and you can see someone go flying off. The video I saw was EXTREMELY graphic, showing up close the rescue efforts.

Yikes! - Yeah, I’ll admit I didn’t watch the video that closely.... I’d be traumatized for life.

Thoughts are with the injured and the deceased’s families. Awful, awful accident. :(

It was terrible to watch. I turned it off when I realized how graphic it was. Stuff of nightmares for sure.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby disownedpear » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:32 pm

Samuel wrote:. Even if ride safety standards and maintenance stink all across India, then address them, but not by making the people of different countries out to be "eww."

Perfectly put. I do believe it is possible to discuss safety regulations in third world countries, but lets go after the engineers, the people responsible for the inspections ect. But it's not fair to say all these rides are dangerous and their people are animals based on a few videos.
The Knoebels flyers are the greatest thrill ride ever made. If anyone sees Harry at the park can you tell him I'm sorry for breaking his ride and getting him in trouble.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Mike240SX » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:00 pm

disownedpear wrote: But it's not fair to say all these rides are dangerous and their people are animals based on a few videos.

Those two statements are mutually exclusive. It is absolutely reasonable to say that most if not all rides in these countries are dangerous and not implicate that there is anything negative about their people.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 134
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby SteVeUrkle » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:40 am

Samuel wrote:(5) Incidents and ride safety can be discussed without fearmongering entire populations. After the Ohio State Fair death, the particulars of the incident and carnival rides in general were questioned -- not Ohioans and Americans. But since these Frisbee accidents occurred internationally, here comes the narrative that the other countries have some backwards, undesirable nature that's reflected in the accidents. No thanks on that xenophobic stuff. India's not in my travel plans, but I appreciate that not every place exists to be my vacation. If the designers blew it with these Frisbees, start there. Even if ride safety standards and maintenance stink all across India, then address them, but not by making the people of different countries out to be "eww."

Nah brah. Your politically correct reasoning is why the worlds logic has gone to shit.

I won't ride a roller coaster in India for the same reason I won't ride one in Tijuana.

That's not xenophobic stuff, that's practical reasoning.

Women raped in streets visible to the public isn't "eww" to you? Unfathomable to even consider any other reaction.
Live Cedar Point Queue Times: https://queue-times.com/parks/50/queue_times

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!