Questions for a Skycoaster Operator?

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Questions for a Skycoaster Operator?

Postby Habreno » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:10 pm

How stringent do you have to be on potentially loose objects, and what's the furthest you've seen something fly when someone did have a loose object?

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby disownedpear » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:39 am

We are extremly strict about loose articles, you're not even allowed to wear a necklace. The main reason for this is once we lay the fliers down, we don't want them getting stabbed by their loose articles on their neck or in their front pocket. Stuff not flying off is just an added bonus, and as such I've never seen an object fly off the ride.

You guys are making me curious, I'm going to bring a bouncy ball on my next flight, let go of it and see how far it goes ha.
The Knoebels flyers are the greatest thrill ride ever made. If anyone sees Harry at the park can you tell him I'm sorry for breaking his ride and getting him in trouble.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Samuel » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:48 pm

Can feet slip out of the footbar during the ride? I remember thinking once that my shoes didn't seem to be resting deeply or have good traction on the bar, and then operators ask you to simply step out of the bar on your own as you stand back up. Doing a quick image search of Skycoaster riders, I don't see much besides that footbar that secures riders in position below the knees, and I don't see anything making sure that feet stay on the bar. Maybe it's just a vulnerable feeling that's totally stupid-proof, but I'm curious about it.

Postby disownedpear » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:57 pm

It's just for comfort it falls out during flight all the time. If properly tightened it shouldn't fall out though, it's mostly kids who get scared and go into the fetal position.

They had to redesign the footbar a few years ago because too many of them were flying off and becoming projectiles!
The Knoebels flyers are the greatest thrill ride ever made. If anyone sees Harry at the park can you tell him I'm sorry for breaking his ride and getting him in trouble.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:40 am

Have you ever visited a SkyCoaster site and seen them not quite up to code?

I let KT ride her first SkyCoaster in Mexico! Mainly because we had a site controller with us on the trip and he went around and made sure everything looked up to par. I do believe that SkyCoaster as a company seems to keep all of their sites in good working order.

Postby disownedpear » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:32 pm

Skycoaster is an extremely safe company. They are allowed to say a Skycoaster wasn't maintained properly, and then force the park to remove it. Rumor has it that this is what happened to Six Flags America's Skycoaster but who knows.

I've visited the one at Darien Lake and Kings Dominion and both seemed totally up to code, it's a pretty simple ride not too many things can go wrong. One thing I would worry about at smaller parks and parks in other countries is the Overspeed Clutch Assembly, which prevents the winch from spinning out of control in the event of a hydraulic failure.

In fact, one of the maintenance people at my park tried to get me to sign off on the test without actually doing it, I of course said no and we ran the test. So that makes me think that fudging the inspections probably isn't uncommon around smaller parks. Even so, you're probably still safe, I don't believe an Overspeed Clutch failure has ever happened.

Did she enjoy it? In my experience 99.5 percent of people do.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:14 am

^Interesting explanation, thanks. And yes, she did!

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Mike240SX » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:11 pm

How many people actually go on these when installed in a major park?

I ask since I was at King's Dominion yesterday, and probably spent a total of 4 hours in the general vicinity of their Skycoaster, and saw zero people partake.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 134
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:40 pm

Question....

Why do I have such an irrational fear of these things?!? Like, I literally feel like the second I pull the ripcord.... I’m going to plunge to my death!

:omg: :Pr
Bigger is not always better.

Postby disownedpear » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:04 pm

On a slow day, it's normal to only have 1-4 flights, which barely even covers the employee salaries. If there's an event or something it can get really busy, with maybe 40 flights completed by the end of the day. But most of the time it's like you said, completely dead.

It's extra terrifying because if you look up when you're at the top of the tower, the cables are slack. When you pull the cord it disconnects you from the launch cable and you go into total freefall for about 25-60? feet, depending on the model, before the cables catch you. So for a second or two there there is literally nothing holding you. It's not like a drop tower since you literally have nothing to hold on to and the suits are much scarier than a drop tower seat. That's what makes it scarier than other rides for me.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!