Questions for a Skycoaster Operator?

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Re: Questions for a Skycoaster Operator?

Postby yawetag » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:00 am

Mike240SX wrote:How many people actually go on these when installed in a major park?

Carowinds seems to be just fine in getting people to ride it. And at $25/person, it's making some money.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:07 pm

What happens when someone pukes while on a Sky Coaster? If the rider is still at maximum swing, does do the chunks typically just go absolutely everywhere? If the vom winds up outside of your ride area (the midway, a nearby building, other workers/guests), is it then on someone else to clean that stuff up?

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby disownedpear » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:28 am

I think most medium-large parks make a nice return on it, they are very cheap rides. Smaller parks I sometimes wonder

It's not common at all for people to puke on the Skycoaster, but if puke fell into someone else's area it would in fact be on them to clean it up lol, we would just clean the suit if needed.
The Knoebels flyers are the greatest thrill ride ever made. If anyone sees Harry at the park can you tell him I'm sorry for breaking his ride and getting him in trouble.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby oriolat » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:49 am

How long does it take for a Site controller to be fully trained? Are there different positions while operating a Skycoaster?

I am really tempted to go on one of these, as I enjoy drop towers a lot, but it's the terrifying moment of having to pull the cord that puts me off... Any tips for first time riders?

Thanks for starting such a interesting thread! It's always nice to read from other people people working (or that have worked) in the industry.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby djcoastermark » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:02 am

^ My advice, if you are a first timer and have any fear of the height, take a partner on with you. My first time was at the 250' one at FunSpot. By the time we were half way up, rigor mortis had set in me. I could not move, not even an eyeblink. Thankfully, my partner had control of the cord. It was one terrifying trip. I am glad I did it, now I know, but, would I do it again? Oh Hell NO !

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby disownedpear » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:00 am

There are four positions: Flight Suit Person, Expediter, Assistant Controller(AC), and Controller, and you are trained in that order. Each position requires eight hours of training: 2 directly supervised by a Site Controller who cannot do anything else and then 6 where the Site Controller runs the ride but also supervises. You need to know all positions to be qualified for Site Controller, so that would be a minimum of 24 hours since some locations do not use an Expediter. Also you need to be 18, 17 is the minimum allowed age of anyone working the attraction.

Once you're on the flight deck the AC hooks up the fliers with two locking steel Carabiners and says "Carabiners Locked" to the controller who looks and says the same thing. The Controller then asks the fliers to lay themselves out prone. Once this is done, the AC hooks up the launch release system(LRS) and checks the straps. One more final check in done with the Controller before the Controller activates winch up and the AC pulls the cart away and tethers it. Since the LRS splits in two when the ripcord is pulled, a new one must be assembled during every flight by the AC.

After your training is complete you must pass a difficult written and physical test about everything about the ride, operations, maintenance etc. so you spend a lot of time studying things.
The Knoebels flyers are the greatest thrill ride ever made. If anyone sees Harry at the park can you tell him I'm sorry for breaking his ride and getting him in trouble.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!