Questions for a Skycoaster Operator?

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Questions for a Skycoaster Operator?

Postby disownedpear » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:30 pm

Hey guys, I've been operating a Skycoaster for the better part of a year now. I am a certified Site Controller, meaning I had to pass a written and physical exam. Skycoaster is operated very, very differently than normal rides, so I'm happy to answer any questions about it, I'll answer anything except which one I operate. I've also operated plenty of other rides so I'm happy to answer questions about those as well.

The Knoebels flyers are the greatest thrill ride ever made. If anyone sees Harry at the park can you tell him I'm sorry for breaking his ride and getting him in trouble.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Re: Questions for a Skycoaster Operator?

Postby tndank » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:49 pm

Cheapest place / time typically to do this ride?

Postby disownedpear » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:57 pm

The cheapest prices you will see in my experience is 15-20 dollars, more typically they are 30 or more but some parks give discounts. The 300 foot one in Kissimmee is only 20 dollars with the purchase of an all day wristband, so that has to be the best deal.

I bring my Site Controller certificate to other parks and they always let me ride for free, so become an operator for the best price!

In terms of crowds the time to do it doesn't really matter since I've never seen a line at my location or any others I've visited. Like any other tall ride, night is my favorite time to ride.
The Knoebels flyers are the greatest thrill ride ever made. If anyone sees Harry at the park can you tell him I'm sorry for breaking his ride and getting him in trouble.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:33 pm

If someone doesn't pull the cord, does the winch automatically release?
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby bigboy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:58 pm

I was never a site controller, but I supervised one at a park many years ago. No, the only way to separate the release mechanism is by pulling the cord. Only one person can pull the cord and, on our ride, it was typically the person on the right side (from the flyer's perspective). There's a rip cord on the right side of each flight suit and it was usually easier to pull it if there wasn't another flyer on that side. If the cord isn't pulled, the flyers are lowered back to the ground.

Postby disownedpear » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:00 pm

Yeah I always thought the whole ripcord thing was just a feature to make the ride more fun but nope it's just the cheapest way to release the fliers from the launch cable ha.

The only automatic part on our ride is the winch, everything else is either done by hand by us or the fliers. Other locations have automatic landing poles and scissor lifts, if anyone here has ran a location with those I'd like to hear about it.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:14 pm

bigboy wrote:I was never a site controller, but I supervised one at a park many years ago. No, the only way to separate the release mechanism is by pulling the cord. Only one person can pull the cord and, on our ride, it was typically the person on the right side (from the flyer's perspective). There's a rip cord on the right side of each flight suit and it was usually easier to pull it if there wasn't another flyer on that side. If the cord isn't pulled, the flyers are lowered back to the ground.

Thanks! I was sort of hoping they'd just drop them with no warning. :lol:

But that makes sense.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby jlp94 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:37 pm

Where is the Skycoaster which you operate? (meaning location)

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby jjeerr » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:33 pm

how many pukers???

Postby disownedpear » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:57 pm

disownedpear wrote:I'll answer anything except which one I operate.

Surprisingly it's not really a nausea inducing ride since it doesn't go in circles. A Tilt-a-Wirl has more pukers than any other ride I've seen, I'm no health expert but it seems the more spins on a ride the more nausea.

I have to admit it would be cool to see how far the puke would go; as long as I don't have to clean it up.

Feel free to ask techincal questions since Site Controllers have to know everything about the ride and it's maintenance. But I'm happy to answer any kind of question.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!