Coasters having expiration dates?

Setting the record straight
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Coasters having expiration dates?

Postby Sharkpult » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:35 am

I actually had a question about Dueling dragons since they announced they would take it down for the wizarrding world expansion.

2. I was wondering if there ever would be a chance for them to sell and relocate them and if ever it would be possible to "seperate" them to and be sold as seperate coasters? But i imagine IOA and universal had money enough "to not bother".

1. Also i always known that Volcano was plagued with issues while there is a similar Coaster type in finland Särkänniemi but that has a chain lift. is this proof that it was the launch that where the main issue?

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:18 am

Sharkpult wrote:I was wondering if there ever would be a chance for them to sell and relocate them and if ever it would be possible to "seperate" them to and be sold as seperate coasters? But i imagine IOA and universal had money enough "to not bother".

It is safe to say that the decision was made to scrap these rides rather than sell them for a couple of reasons... One, Dueling Dragons was an incredibly marketable attraction on its own because of the unique dueling nature of the experience. Even as a secondhand installation, being able to market a major new set of dueling coasters would be a major asset for either park. Given that NBCUniversal/Comcast has more than enough money, the benefit of scrapping the ride and not giving any other park anywhere the chance to leverage the coaster's unique attributes makes sense. Two, they didn't need to money they would have gotten from selling the coaster to any other park.

That said, I think it would have been possible to see this coaster disassembled and rebuilt in either the Dubai or South Korea parks if they had gotten off of the ground... One of them did have a dueling coaster concept themed to King Kong.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:48 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Mike240SX » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:19 pm

Tornado at that Finnish park shares nothing with Volcano except the train design. It doesn't have an overly-complicated dual-launch that was Volcano's major problem.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 134
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby RollaroundBadness » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:57 pm

Interesting
Last edited by RollaroundBadness on Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:57 pm.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Samuel » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:26 pm

I like to add more than "thanks everyone," but since I started this topic, I do want to chime in to say thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses. They confirm what I suspected about the notion of some hard expiration date or end of service life vs. a more natural cost-benefit analysis of maintaining a coaster over time. I'm loving the interesting examples and quirky circumstances around some of these rides.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:53 pm

^Thank you for posing the question! It is definitely on a lot of our minds thanks to Dueling Dragons' early demise, but it is interesting to have an opportunity to break down some of the other coasters that have survived where others have been axed at the "end of their service life."

This question has definitely garnered some thoughtful conversation!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:30 am

One thing that hasn't been discussed is the new ride as a marketing technique and a chance to make your park fun, interesting, and relevant. If you're putting as much or nearly as much into maintaining older rides as you would be by constructing completely new rides, isn't it better to put the money into rides that you can market as new? And I think that not only do you get the attendance bump and sparked interest from a new ride, but you get people who want to get on the old rides before they're scrap metal if you announce them in time.

I think in general, you need to create a sense of urgency with people. If you keep the same rides around forever, and never build new sense, you give the ambivalent GP in your home market absolutely no reason to go more than once every five years. The rides they love will always be there when they want them, and there's nothing new that they haven't ridden 100 times already.

But people will always line up first thing for a newer ride that they haven't been on, and if they know that rides have real expiration dates they'll make sure to get on them when they can, as they might not be around again.

Its funny that the only time I've been to Kennywood is the last year of Steel Phantom, and the first year of Phantom's Revenge. That's a quirky example, and its not exactly a home park, but it does illustrate how changes and urgency can be good for attendance.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:04 pm

Seriously though, is that not like the most coward move by park management ever? "Guys, we have to let this woman with no reason to have a say in our pre-existing park attractions dictate our decisions." I know, I know, dead horse and all, but I'll never get over how ridiculous that whole situation was.

I think the reality is that the park always wanted something more family friendly in that spot and then the "end of life" rumor was born that somehow grew into fact. Though going from 54" to 48" isn't that much better since the magic number for "family friendly" is in the 36"-42" range.
Last edited by Jew on Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:10 pm.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby disownedpear » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:36 am

coasterbill wrote:It's cool to say that it's a 70 year old coaster but it's basically a bullsh*t, meaningless number when you're talking about a wood coaster.

I disagree. I see it the same as I would see a 70 year old person, even though they don't retain much from when they were younger I still respect the age. If they completely took a wooden coaster and rebuilt it it would be different, but since the wood is replaced organically over time the age is notable.
The Knoebels flyers are the greatest thrill ride ever made. If anyone sees Harry at the park can you tell him I'm sorry for breaking his ride and getting him in trouble.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:47 pm

BDD27 wrote:Another interesting situation is how 2 of the three arrow megaloopers died a rather long time ago while Viper is still chugging along.

You forgot vortex.

There seems to be increasing comments on Millennium Force's bumpiness. I noticed it has a noticeable rattle to it, but it doesn't take away from the ride at this point. That said, I wonder if Cedar Point would replace the track instead of removing the coaster. It's not nearly to that point yet, but I'm talking about when it does get bad enough years down the road. Millennium Force is pretty iconic to Cedar Point, but I've also noticed that each year I visit there seems to be less and less of a line.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!