bert goes to St Louis and gets all touristy - Trip Report

Day 4: Last day of trip - Grant's Farm now posted (finally!)
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: bert goes to St Louis and gets all touristy - Trip Repor

Postby SharkTums » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:41 am

^^^I love the expression 'ass time', I'm going to start using it more!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:12 am

teacherkim wrote:"build in some ass time"

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: OMFG that's great, Kim!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Postby bert425 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:54 am

SixFlagsAstroworld wrote:Glad you had a great time at our park! :) Xcalibur is a truly unique ride and I hope you get to ride it soon when it reopens

I look forward to part 2 of your report!

(By the way, just curious, did you notice the top of superman still has the “castle” shape from when it was at Astroworld? :Pr )

thanks!

yeah, I did notice the design at the top of Superman still looks like a Medieval Tower Turret -- and was wondering if it was leftover from when it used to be in the Nottingham Village area of Astroworld.

too funny that they didn't bother changing it, but instead just slapped a Superman Logo up there!

DavidB wrote:That "mosaic sand art" area actually used to be filled with different colored gravel instead of permanent epoxied pebbles. It was much nicer as the gravel but people would mess it up and little plants would grow in it eventually, so I'm sure they changed it to cut down on maintenance

that's super interesting to find out.

I'll bet it looked fantastic as loose gravel, but yeah - I can imagine the nightmare of having to go fix it every week from people damaging it.

teacherkim wrote:
Bert! I'm just now reading this, haven't gotten through it all yet.....but I'm a trip planner too. Maybe that's why we got along so well (at least I think we got along well :lmao: ) I've planned several European trips for my whole family. Try getting a party of 9 with 2 weeks worth of luggage from the airport in Barcelona to a hotel. Anyway, my family for the most part trusts me and just goes along with my plan but my Dad always makes sure to remind me to in his words "build in some ass time"....meaning he wants time to sit somewhere, take a break, have a beer, and people watch.

LOL. . I too thought we got along great!

It was lovely to meet you - for sure let me know when you come to Texas! (you can even stay with us and basecamp out of Austin, so we could do day trips to SFFT, SeaWorld, the ZDT woodie, Kemah boardwalk, Pleasure Pier, and SFOT. . can even get you to some "Culture" (the Alamo, Blanton Art Museum, State Capitol. . . drinking on 6th street. . LOL).

toomuchstereo wrote:Happy you enjoyed your trip to the park and city bert425, we are putting a lot of work in to improve it.

Thank you. are you a Park Rep?

If yes, want to make sure this didn't get buried in my text-filled post above -- SFStL had among the best, if not THE best , interactions we've ever had with Six Flags Employees.

not only NO bad experiences, but multiple really GOOD experiences. Folks seemed to enjoy working, and were genuinely happy to talk to us/interact with us.

it made for a great visit!

jamesk25 wrote:Very good trip report, been enjoying reading though your adventures at City Museum and at Six Flags, its always nice to see what people outside of the area think of our local attractions. Don't forget to come back next year and enjoy the newly opened Union Station Aquarium and its 200ft Ferris Wheel!

Thanks james.

not sure the Ferris Wheel would be a draw - as noted, my spouse will NOT get on them.
but was certainly eyeing the Aquarium, as we love those. Of course, we've been to multiple *excellent* ones (Vancouver, Maui, and the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta). If the St. Louis one can complete with those, it would certainly solidify a plan to go back to StL next year :)
Last edited by bert425 on Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:56 am.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby bert425 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:55 am

SharkTums wrote:^^^I love the expression 'ass time', I'm going to start using it more!

I do too!

we usually call it "bench: the ride" time (Kim likely heard me refer to it as that thruout the day when Nick wanted to sit).

but I'm gonna start calling it "ass time" now too!
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby teacherkim » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:24 am

Well that's my Dad for you and my son is just like him. The three of us are going to Cedarpoint tomorrow because the boy wants to show his grandpa his favorite place on earth. My husband decided to sit this trip out. Great, 8 hours in the car with my Dad and my son, not exactly the dream trip I wanted this summer, lol.

Bert, I'm not surprised that the trolley driver didn't know about the Old Court House dome. It's boring history don't you know....my subject is so disrespected! Anyway if you like Chihuly and you ever come back you will need to visit the Botanical Garden, there are Chihuly sculptures in the reflecting pool there.

Postby teacherkim » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:11 am

Ok got through the whole tr. Thanks for your kind words Bert and I found that I actually enjoyed immensely being a SFSTl tour guide for the day. Guess it's the history teacher in me and it was pleasant to have pupils who were behaving nicely and listening politely for a change, lol. My son says the log flume has been operating both sides a lot this month, due to the hotter weather, the rapids ride is filled up and close to opening and the Excalibur rehab is apparently very close to being finished.

I will tell you all the Bert is being very gentlemanly.....the sad truth is that I was not up for a lot of rides due to an overzealous neighborhood Mom's Bourbon tasting party the night before. :oops: Also, why I took it easy on the tacos/burritos and has "something healthy". But he politely kept my sad slightly hungover shame secret, but I am glad I came out, walking about the park in the fresh air was a good remedy.

We may very well make that trip to Texas. Toying with the idea of spring break since our park won't be open yet and it will still be fairly cold and nasty weather wise up here. I'll let you know!

Note on the Arch museum (sorry it's that history teacher thing again!) the city of St Louis was always known as the "Gateway to the West", last big city the westward pioneers were in before heading out on the Oregon and Santa Fe trails. The monument is to honor that heritage, hence the museum had all the boring history of the west and St Louis's history as a port city and therefore it is named the "Gateway" arch.

Anyway off to pack for CP, I hope Valravn reopens, it's one of my favorite coasters there. No one on the CP thread seems to know they are too busy arguing about food in the park right now, lol!

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby toomuchstereo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:23 am

Thank you. are you a Park Rep?

If yes, want to make sure this didn't get buried in my text-filled post above -- SFStL had among the best, if not THE best , interactions we've ever had with Six Flags Employees.

not only NO bad experiences, but multiple really GOOD experiences. Folks seemed to enjoy working, and were genuinely happy to talk to us/interact with us.

it made for a great visit!

Yes Sir. I work in the maintenance side of the park.

Postby bert425 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:13 pm

Look at you, Kim.. I'm keeping the "met in real life, so not for online consumption" part of the deal. .and you just go spill all your own secrets! LOL

teacherkim wrote:We may very well make that trip to Texas. Toying with the idea of spring break since our park won't be open yet and it will still be fairly cold and nasty weather wise up here. I'll let you know!

one thing to absolutely keep in mind if you're looking at Spring Break - if it's in mid-late March? Austin is *NUTS* due to SXSW crowds. (so airline flights will shoot up in price, and EVERYTHING all over town gets packed (restaurants, clubs, traffic.. it sucks). Most of us locals stay in during the 2 week festival timeframe.. . ESPECIALLY the music portion.

hoping to have the rest of SFStL posted by end of weekend.

Postby teacherkim » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Ha,Ha!! Well I tell my students they need to be honest above all else so gotta set a good example. Besides I wanted everyone to know how nice you were being.

#notashamedmomsdeserveabreak

I will keep your Texas trip advice in mind when planning!

Postby bert425 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:58 pm

dates for 2020 are 3/13-3/22
(1st week is usually Media/Film, 2nd week is Comedy/Music. . . so buffer a couple of days before and after - crowds will be here then).

https://www.sxsw.com/news/2019/sxsw-2020-dates-announced-march-13-22/

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!