TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

bert goes to St Louis and gets all touristy - Trip Report

Anyway off to pack for CP, I hope Valravn reopens, it's one of my favorite coasters there. No one on the CP thread seems to know they are too busy arguing about food in the park right now, lol!

Valravn opened back up today according to queue-times.com and the CP thread

Great report!

Was the mid-course on Boss bringing you to a full stop? It did that for me last year. I sort of wish the train charged right through it though since I enjoyed the ride (no clue if they ever turn it off).

Also I agree that Six Flags St. Louis is very hilly. I wasn't expecting that going into the park.

^They turned it on when they removed the helix because the ride’s brake run is short and the helix killed a lot of speed. It used to never bite and the train would go flying.

Great report! I’ve been anxiously waiting most for this part of your TR for some time now! Always funny to me the compliments our park gets about looking good ... to me it ... well ermm ... has a nice setting?

I’ve never found Freeze’s or American Thunder’s queues so long, but it’s a straight shot to the station so I guess I just don't notice it. But Batman and the Boss ... good lord.

Eagle wasn’t always so bad in the back. Only a couple years ago, it was spectacular in the back. I hope you got a night ride on it at some point.

American Thunder is also our pride and joy at the park. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Day 3: Six Flags St. Louis Part 2

After the great time on the flume, we continued up the path to pass by Shazam, which Nick didn't want to ride.

I wouldn't have minded riding, since the Scrambler at SFFT has been closed for a long time. But with Nick out, and Kim not doing "spinny" rides (see her explanation a few posts ago ). . . as well as it not being on Flash Pass?

I bypassed it, and instead we went over to Mr Freeze: Reverse Blast - which WAS on Flash Pass.

Nick and Kim sat on a bench at the restaurant near the entrance, and I booked it and began the long trek up the Flash Pass / exit. Now, it didn't LOOK like this one had a very long line (starting just outside of the building), but it was running only 1 side, so the line was moving slowly.

I was very glad to bypass what appeared to be a large chunk of the line that was there, although it still took me over 20 minutes (probably closer to 25 minutes) for what should have been a fairly quick ride. Besides the 1 train operation, what caused delay was 1 train had to stop and someone removed after finally getting the restraints locked, and the train moved out to the launch area, when the overhead operator spotted someone pulling out a phone. So they stopped the ride, brought the train back to the gates, unlocked all the restraints - and then there was an argument about the person not wanting to leave the train because they "had waiting in line and were gonna ride" I don't think security actually showed up, but the threat to call them was made, and the person, and the two others with her left the train and stormed out.

also adding time, was an ADA holder who came up the exit while this was going on, and instead of being let into the station to join a seat queue (as I had been directed to do with my Flash Pass, so I went to front row queue), he was let right thru the exit into the emptying train when it arrived back. . . and of course, went directly to the front row. (i had already paired up with a young lady who had been riding alone, but she climbed into the seat next to the ADA guy, so I was a solo rider again and had to wait for the next train).

anyways. . . not really complaining, just explaining. The ride was just as fantastic as the one at SFOT is, and I loved it. but even with the FP, no way was I going to make Nick (and Kim) sit and wait for me to ride again, so once I finally got done and walked way back to where they were, was ready to move on.

and I'm not exaggerating how slow the line was moving - when I got back and was telling them why it had taken me so long (w/ Flash Pass), two little girls who had been sitting at a the next table came over and were very worried about their parents, who had been in the line for "an hour" and were worried. Now, I'm sure it wasn't an "hour" but Kim did go into Mom-Mode to reassure them and we both directed them to go talk to an employee that was at the main entrance (telling folks about 1 train operations, I think?). We walked off across the plaza towards Justice League both feeling really bad that we couldn't do more to console the girls (who sounded Australian maybe?). But I think we did what we could.

Nick wasn't wanting to ride Justice League, as he didn't really remember what it was from our prior time at SFOT - but once we explained to him that it's a dark shooting ride with moving cars, he acquiesced. Besides, it had NO outside line, to which Kim kept saying - I've never seen it with no outside line.

But when we got in the queue, and began to pass several folks exiting out of the line, we thought it had broken down. Nope, as we got towards the main doors, we saw the sign that noted "this ride is operating with limited capacity"

The line was just inside the doors, but was not moving, or if it WAS moving, it wasn't visibly moving. which explained why folks had been leaving the line.

Nick was ready to move on, but I pointed out to him that this ride was on FP, and his ADA was good for a +1, so let's do that to bypass the line.

I booked it, and we went out of the queue and thru the exit ADA/flashpass entrance, and thru the giant waste of indoor space (that Kim said was where they used to sell the On-ride photos), and checked in with the employee at the exit gate.

she was *super* apologetic, but said she had to fill the next 4 cars before she could get us on since they were operating at such limited capacity (I think she said they were running 5 cars only). Which was perfectly OK with us, and worked out really well, as another group of 3 with ADA pass came in right behind us and since the cars seat 3 + 3, it worked out perfectly that we just went into the next Open car that came. All in all, I think we waited maybe 8 minutes? (against an easy 50 minute line)

so yeah, just for Freeze & Justice League (even tho only got 1 ride on each), was TOTALLY worth it for the Flash Pass.

after that ride, we headed back to the train for a full lap of the park, since we had only done 1/2 way around earlier. This time I was determined to sit on the other side of the train to get some better pictures of American Thunder.

IMG_7530.thumb.JPG.0775aaa8ffb7addbb13f2b186c5ce3ae.JPG

WHEE!!!

These were pretty cool - in the Train station, they have some of the old Ride Vehicles from the old Powder Keg (an Intamin Drunken Barrels ride). . which had apparently been SBNO since 1997 until 2013 (really? wow!)

but it was cool that 4 of the old ride vehicles were in the train station to sit in - and take "fun" pictures of as well, of course!

we hadn't gotten the timing correct this time, so had to wait a little bit for the train, but it was OK as we were sitting, in the shade, and were able to check in for our flight the next day while waiting for the train.

Kim also told us a bit more about the history of this area of the park.

IMG_7531.thumb.JPG.dc8f37653d3250f470d7ca92fef84f37.JPG

sitting on the "correct" side of the train, I was able to get a good pic of the hilariously short Arrow Moon Cars.

It's cool that it goes under American Thunder - and we learned that there used to be a much longer route, but it had been seriously shortened for the construction of that coaster.

IMG_7532.thumb.JPG.1931d4dce5746820b9615f373629b54c.JPG

the "rest" of the Moon Cars track.

really?? that's it?

Couldn't get the timing to get an actual train on the course. . . but American Thunder sure is pretty!

IMG_7533.thumb.JPG.c9821adb8eda27f8abdcc0de0bd64015.JPG

The what looked to be completely abandoned portion of the flume, as seen from the train.

I've since seen (on the SF StL thread) that both sides of the flume have been operating now, but when we were there on 6/9, it really looked like it had been abandoned and not upkept in years.

IMG_7534.thumb.JPG.08e51d3b19637929247b15e04d56299f.JPG

it's a lovely setting tho, I'll bet this side of the flume is just amazing on a super hot day.

IMG_7535.thumb.JPG.98aab06ba31477d83ac829c50642744d.JPG

surprised the park doesn't put a log with mannequins in it, or something, here if the side is not operating. . since that's the flume that's so visible from the train.

Thru the trees tho, really does add to the ambiance of the ride.

IMG_7536.thumb.JPG.cd0b5899fc66e6d8068d1fe8cfce1d88.JPG

we were there while Thunder River was still drained, so got the sad sight of all the rafts just sitting on concrete. Nice view of the park thru the trees tho, including Screamin Eagle, Freeze, and Excalibur.

IMG_7537.thumb.JPG.5a1bff7ff8e047fabb711b40c6feb8dd.JPG

even the big lagoon for Thunder River was drained, and the universe was conspiring against me during our train ride, so that even tho the Skycoaster, Superman, Pandemonium, and Skyscreamer are in this pic? none of them are in process of running trains when we went by! LOL

Looks like they could be filming Walking Dead here tho, doesn't it?

IMG_7538.thumb.JPG.65f3edb8d67eac19318cf958a6273e85.JPG

Coming around the other side of the drained lagoon, you can get a fantastic pic of Colossus framed by Freeze.

even with all that concrete there, I still love this pic.

IMG_7539.thumb.JPG.7dbd851170a85e4b940b48048ccaaf79.JPG

well, lookie there! Pandemonium cycling a car, as we passed by it on the train :)

came out decent with no blur, despite all parts moving (the train, the coaster). . tho I did take about 5, and this is the only one that came out good (hence taking multiples, since you never know what you're gonna get)

IMG_7540.thumb.JPG.7b8d4599bed72f38e899de1d8bf9fd30.JPG

still on the train, got the only pic I actually of the Mine Train (just the exit - not sure why I didn't take a pic later), while I was taking a pic of Ninja going up it's lift hill.

it's a great LOOKING coaster. . just wish it didn't ride so crappy. But yeah, even got a loop in this pic.

IMG_7542.thumb.JPG.1a772af40e8eb1747b651ba8a7de24f3.JPG

our Train was gassy!

or is that steamy?

LOL. . regardless, I took a pic of it!

IMG_7543.thumb.JPG.9ea40b997d995a0157b8c80880f27b19.JPG

Theming!

i think? not sure what this is supposed to be - it's just kind of there.

Kim might have told us they use this during Fright Fest? but not sure what it's here for, just a rotting shed hanging out in a field behind Ninja.

IMG_7544.thumb.JPG.bdaaad0df4fabc34429d565bad538866.JPG

Speaking of just "hanging out in a field". . .this is the backside of Batman, with Joker Inc (swinging ship) there on the right.

for goodness' sakes Six Flags! plant some rose bushes or something back here, so there's something to look at from the train. The other side of the park is so lush, and this is just. . .a parking lot for an outdoor music festival.

IMG_7545.thumb.JPG.854490588981c413155b63b8bb34b031.JPG

More Batman, with Colossus (and Freeze - train on the spike) towering over the center of the park.

IMG_7546.thumb.JPG.df342e019c0b194b148cbbfcaa496291.JPG

we're not waterpark people, but the waterpark did look rather nice (tho pales in comparison to the one at our home park, SFFT). It wasn't busy in this pic, as it was late in the day, and I think it was about to shut down.

But most of the crowd in the park seems to have gone to the waterpark today, so it worked out really well that we aren't waterpark people.

IMG_7547.thumb.JPG.ac4e59a510256ca0bb3caa1ec38f9226.JPG

as we come back around in front of Batman on the train, finally get to see this coaster in action.

LOOP - DE - LOOOOOP !!!

IMG_7548.thumb.JPG.e09bab003b158e14577b2e8269b8f47f.JPG

IMG_7549.thumb.JPG.a243a9cd51824cf20d4eb81fbf90834b.JPG

the full layout of Ninja from the train.

as noted a moment ago, this coaster really does LOOK amazing. That's why it's not going anywhere. .it has "wow" factor, even if it sounds like it's always a walk on.

IMG_7550.thumb.JPG.24bd24dd62a402c2a913565a0b4ef1c3.JPG

possibly my favorite picture I took at SFStL.

not a Disc-O fan, so we didn't ride this, but damn if it doesn't take a good picture.

Only could have been more perfect if Ninja were on the lift hill behind - but it IS passing behind on the lower left :)

IMG_7552.thumb.JPG.e13f469ef3246696ccca8cbacd022925.JPG

look how happy we are, 1) to be sitting, 2) to be on a train, 3) to be hanging out with Kim!

IMG_7553.thumb.JPG.1af62dfd621ba5d1c1d5b551b2a30087.JPG

Coming back around behind Supergirl (with Boss on our left), this is where we got stopped because the kids going around the drop bars from the go-carts and almost getting hit by the train.

so while stopped, was able to get some nice pics of Supergirl cycling, and the SkyCoaster operating.

IMG_7554.thumb.JPG.e6a9745e5aa2f0136e7b7e00ab7aca64.JPG

wheee. . . .

never been on a Skycoaster. One of these days, might try it.

IMG_7555.thumb.JPG.669101ac218f871307c91bbc50e315e7.JPG

IMG_7556.thumb.JPG.540886eddc733729a227b2d54eff12d2.JPG

Supergirl, really is SO damn good.

Great addition to the park.

IMG_7557.thumb.JPG.de10dc0a92cc71b995e3be0b6ef97f88.JPG

It was time for the Carousel, so after we got off at the train station near Colossus, we walked back down the very nice shaded path, past this kiddie playground area.

it seemed oddly placed - just plopped down in the middle of other stuff -- but nicely done, and the kiddos playing on it seemed to be enjoying themselves.

IMG_7558.thumb.JPG.b978edb0cfef0b5f5957ef126337fbca.JPG

as noted earlier, I love that you can walk UNDER Pandemonium on the way to the Carousel/Supergirl/Boss area. Makes for some fun photo opportunities, especially for a Carousel nerd like me.

IMG_7559.thumb.JPG.71288512f1e3a98178dae35b48ec5885.JPG

Carousel, Pandemonium track, Supergirl doing it's thing.

IMG_7561.thumb.JPG.5782b3195e977207ac6c1566b67b2bf7.JPG

seriously, just heartbreaking they are operating it this way :(

IMG_7562.thumb.JPG.dedcbeda5fdc44338c5bdf82868b2af3.JPG

and the designs, and vehicles are quite nice.

This could be GORGEOUS if they took care of it. Please refurb it. and soon.

IMG_7563.thumb.JPG.a693a3776b317fee858df081ec23bb3f.JPG

as a Carousel nerd, I'm always gonna take a huge smiling pic on one.

but man.. once we got closer to this one, and then actually ON it? it just broke my heart.

this Carousel, *could* be beautiful - instead it's in need of massive refurb.

This is a PTC Carousel from 1915 - it's apparently the oldest ride in the park, and SHOULD be a crown jewel

Seriously, it's in such bad shape, it's not even a case of they can take a few horses off at a time to work on it - they need to close the ride down, and spend several months doing repairs, patches, and repainting.

How could they have let it get this bad?

I've been on some *awful* Carousels at Six Flags parks - the ghetto one at SFA, and the one at SFOT (that we rode while the speakers played "Getting Jiggy With It"). .but nothing in such poor shape as the horses/vehicles that were on this potentially beautiful Carousel.

That's right next to the new ride, Supergirl, so is gonna get a TON of eyeballs - and riders, from those who are too small/too scared for Supergirl.

just a shame, and if I had to choose, the biggest disappointment of my day at SFStL

(but again, I'm a huge Carousel nerd).

IMG_7565.thumb.JPG.134be930942eccc29502e9bc0ac6647d.JPG

a bunch of the lights are out too, as you can see in this pic.

Not enough to "ruin" it, but enough that it looks like the park just doesn't care about it.

IMG_7566.thumb.JPG.cabf34828d34667ee885d0ff7804a1b2.JPG

Looks ok from a few steps back, but when you get closer? chipped wood, peeling paint. . .

IMG_7515.thumb.JPG.0881692fc32f3b02a1fcb4c0e35c5103.JPG

I needed to cheer up a bit after that depressing ride, so we headed across the plaza, where Nick & Kim waited while I got another ride on Supergirl.

IMG_7516b.thumb.JPG.b57359a82f77fb55f0ae30e2a37facec.JPG

so, so good. I hope lots of other parks in the chain get these.

The two seats per arm at SFOT might be better capacity wise, but I really liked the single seat version that Supergirl is.

IMG_7567.thumb.jpg.e996c025d53893a602a6321593b48638.jpg

after a quick stop at the "discount" store - where i picked up a Batgirl & a Supergirl magnet (discounted to $1, tho the lady at the register tried to charge me $4 each and I had to point out to her the giant red $1 stickers on them. . but really, why are they selling Supergirl magnets for a buck . . when the new ride is Supergirl themed ???). . . . regardless, it's fairly rare for me to buy anything at SF parks, so it was a pleasant surprise to find these.

Kim had suggested getting Ice Cream, and my ears perked up. It's a vacation, not sticking to my diet plan (and besides, I ended up dropping 3 lbs from all the walking despite the crap I ate), so we followed to the Ice Cream stand near the front of the park.

I think maybe it was called "First Cone" ?

the place was absolutely slammed - a combo of being near the front gates, but also being a "snack" option on the dining plan. All I know is the Ice Cream was freaking fantastic, so I'm sure that was part of why so crowded too.

I had a scoop of Mint Chocolate Chip, over Butterscotch in a waffle cone.

NOM NOM NOM

IMG_7567b.thumb.jpg.21f94995126ebba38314dd924d5cd123.jpg

Kim got ice cream too:

NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM

(but Nick was being poopy and didn't want one, tho he had a lick of mine).

IMG_7568.thumb.JPG.cfdf2628ce486d2b9744877b34f35c23.JPG

after we finished our Ice Cream - and I went to the Photo Booth directly across from it, to load the pics from the start of the day Photographer onto my card -- we continued across the main plaza, under the bridge (where I pointed out how long the line for funnel cakes STILL was), and over to Batman/Joker Inc area.

It was getting towards the end of a long day, and I was starting to feel it. . kind of begging off Batman, tho considering maybe riding it. For sure wasn't going to ride Joker, Inc as I'm not a fan of swinging ships. For some reason, THOSE seem to make me a little nauseous. and if I was gonna blow my remaining energy, I didn't want it to be on a swinging ship. Tho I did like the way they did the screen in front of it.

Nick was already starting to fade, fast. heck, I was proud of how he had done thus far as I had been dragging him all over St. Louis for 3 days at this point. The hill up to Joker / Batman took the wind out of him tho, so Kim suggested that he sit by Chop Six, and that I should go ride Ninja.

I wasn't really wanting to, as I'd heard all the horror stories about it. . but she was right: it's a unique coaster, and I'm here, AND it will have no line. So what the hell, I went for it.

she was correct, *no* line, I was able to walk right onto the ride and onto the train that was pulling into the station. I can't even remember where I sat, but I think it was front seat of 2nd car?

and it really was not *that* bad. .at least not at first. but holy headache Batman, the transition out of the 2nd loop into the corkscrew?

BLAM. .. I almost saw stars, and spent the remainder of the ride just wanting it to end.

This pic is from before I got on it, showing off the statues at the queue entrance - and lack of line. . .and it's the last pic I took at the park. But I think if I HAD taken a pic after? I would have been green, or green-ish.

I made my way back to where they were sitting, went inside ChopSix to get some water, and just sat and tried to recover a little. I even popped another Motrin - much to Nick's chagrin, since I had taken one earlier - post Boomerang- and he was worried it hadn't been long enough. I was more concerned about having to drive back to the hotel with my head after my bell had been rung.

after recovering just a little bit, and determining that, as much as I would LIKE to? if I ride Batman, i am *going* to throw up, so no more upside-down, or any, rides for me. I was done. We had about 1/2 hour until I had to return the Flash-Pass, so I think it was close to 8pm at this point.

Kim said that i really needed to ride the mine train, as I would like it. . so c'mon, suck it up, and let's let that be the last ride. I really was concerned about puking, but she assured me it's pretty smooth, and would have no line. Besides she was right, we were there, I should try to ride the unique things. Batman? I ride that all the time at SFFT (where it's called Goliath). So after checking that Nick was OK to sit for a while longer, we headed up the steep hill past Tsunami Soaker, and to the Mine Train.

. .it's a good thing Nick didn't come with us, he seriously would have had an issue going up that hill, and would have been complaining the whole time that why did I make him walk it! :p so it's good he didn't come with.

As advertised, we got right on the Mine Train, with no line at all. . . although the people who were getting off the train when it came back, asked if they could stay on and were told as long as there was no one waiting.

well, someone was waiting for the front row, so the two little kiddos who had been riding in that row (about 8 or 9 maybe), moved into the empty row behind us - and proceeded to SCREAM BLOODY MURDER the entire ride. I mean, it's great that they were having so much fun on a roller coaster, but it *sucked* that with my head pounding, I had 2+ minutes of super loud screaming directly behind me.

how was the coaster tho? I really liked it. Super fast, pretty dang smooth, with a fantastic final drop that reminded me very much of the Mine train at SFOT. If I hadn't been feeling so queasy, would have suggested we go around and ride it again.

but it was getting late, I was tired (and knew Nick was wiped out), so instead we made our way back to him (stopping to watch Tsunami Soaker run a cycle - and again, not sure why I didn't take a picture??) and we headed towards the front gate.

i returned the Flash Pass, and asked the guys there if anyone else had purchased them on this slow day. To my surprise, there were about a dozen tickets on the wall waiting for the watches to be returned, so I wasn't the only one who bought FP that day.

we said our goodbyes to Kim - who we really enjoyed spending the day with, easily found the car, and the way back to the freeway.

less than 40 minutes later, the 2nd Motrin had really kicked in, and we were parking in the garage and headed back to our room.

I had planned to pack tonight, but just wasnt' feeling it after such a full day, so instead we ate our leftovers from the prior night in the fridge, relaxed a little bit and turned in, worried about being kept up all night by a party going on if the Blues won the Stanley Cup.

i woke up once around Midnight, and it was quiet, so I knew it had gone to game 7.

So happily fell right back asleep, planning to get up in the morning and pack before heading out to Grant's Farm to spend a few hours before heading to the airport.

cb1928780146490591722b4e4dd5f142.thumb.jpg.19e988feafc3a46b0c736a4dbf0cc515.jpg

the pic we got from the front gate photographer, with the SFStL wrapping.

Edited by bert425

Great report!

Was the mid-course on Boss bringing you to a full stop? It did that for me last year. I sort of wish the train charged right through it though since I enjoyed the ride (no clue if they ever turn it off).

Also I agree that Six Flags St. Louis is very hilly. I wasn't expecting that going into the park.

thanks!

i don't recall it being FULL STOP. . but it was awfully close to it.

Slowed us down to an itsy, bitsy crawl . . .I didn't mind, as that was just after that hellacious lateral, I think.

yeah, SO hilly! going towards Ninja, and up to the mine train were the worst of the hills, but going up to Screamin' Eagle was no picnic.

^They turned it on when they removed the helix because the ride’s brake run is short and the helix killed a lot of speed. It used to never bite and the train would go flying.

that makes sense.

Great report! I’ve been anxiously waiting most for this part of your TR for some time now! Always funny to me the compliments our park gets about looking good ... to me it ... well ermm ... has a nice setting?

I’ve never found Freeze’s or American Thunder’s queues so long, but it’s a straight shot to the station so I guess I just don't notice it. But Batman and the Boss ... good lord.

thanks

yeah, I don't mind a long queue, but as I said, SFStL *really* makes you work for it.

That Freeze queue is EASILY double the SFOT one (and that one is mainly indoors). and remember, I bypassed the indoor section because I was using flash pass.

Eagle wasn’t always so bad in the back. Only a couple years ago, it was spectacular in the back. I hope you got a night ride on it at some point.

American Thunder is also our pride and joy at the park. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

we didn't get Night Rides only because it got dark so late there - it still wasn't full dark when we got back to the hotel after 8:45.

Nick wont' really let us stay at a park till close anymore - not after we got stuck in the cluster that was getting out of SFOT when we stayed till close, and it took us over 40 minutes just to get out of the lot! Tho if I'm on my own, I tend to stay later, but rarely to close.

I'm old, I just can't do it! I'm at SFFT on Sat for Coasting for Kids, and it's gonna be an 8:30am-10Pm park day (for us), and I will be lucky if I make it past 5pm. (keep in mind, I have the 1 1/2 hour drive before/after as well to get back home). I'd love to stay to see the fireworks, but not expecting to . . will just have to see how it goes!

The extra trimming in C-Block on the boss is more about slowing down the train slamming into turn 8 than it is the removal of the helix. Both changes were made to help smooth the ride out some.

I don't know how much more it could slow it down, but that lateral still slammed me pretty good

Thanks for the reports, Bert. I've always been fascinated by The Boss' layout, even though I've heard it's super rough from pretty much everyone who's ridden it. I'd give Xclaibur a go, but it looks seriously pukey!

very welcome, and glad you're liking my TR.

I've honestly been on rougher coasters and enjoyed them. if it hadn't been for that 1 lateral that caught me in the side, I likely would have ridden it again.

but the truth is, there are two better (one, American Thunder), MUCH better coasters right there in the same park. So I would rather ride those more instead.

I wish Excalibur had been open, I would have loved to try it out. Oh well.. if we ever get back!

Nice report! You probably just saw stars from that terrifying headchopper from the chain lift return on Ninja. That freaked the heck out of me.

LOL. . . no, it was that awful transition from the 2nd loop into the corkscrew! it's burned into my memory, I remember it well.. . LOL

will try to get the Grant's Farm final day of our trip up by end of weekend.

but first I have all day Sat Coasting for Kids at Fiesta Texas!

meanwhile, I realized I have a pic of the magnets I got for a buck each at SFStL. . so posting those here too. woulda been nice if they said Six Flags on em other than on the price sticker on the back, but still, nice art and good size magnets:

IMG_7717.thumb.JPG.fb7804c08d62e03203240e5ca4818a8c.JPG

• 1 month later...

FINALLY - final day: Grant's Farm

(sorry for the delay. . just lots going on this past month. . but now that I wanna do an Altanta/zoo/Dragon*con/SFOG TR, I need to wrap this one up first) :)

so after a pretty exhausting full day at SFStL, it was our final day in the city. The worry of rain had never really materialized and it was a beautiful Monday.

Since our flight was not until later that afternoon, and since the rain had stayed away? no reason to go to the Science Museum in the park - which had been my backup, and instead we got up, showered, and decided to head to Grant's Farm for the morning.

It had been recommended by several folks in the SFStL thread here on TPR, but all had said they never had actually been as the lines to get in had been crazy when they attempted. But I knew they opened and 9, and it was still only 8:30 am. and it was a Monday. . so we gave it a shot.

super glad we did. Checking out of the hotel was a breeze, and with directions printed out from googlemaps, we easily found our way there, and were pulling into the parking lot by 8:55. We were able to get a spot way up at the front, just across the street from the "bridge" that brings you to the tram stop and into the attraction proper.

I commented to the crossing guard how it was so empty, and we had been bracing for crowds, and he said "just you wait". . LOL

just as with most of the other things we had done in St Louis, entry to Grant's Farm is free, you only have to pay for parking (I think it was $15?), and any attractions you want to do..but otherwise? a really cheap way to spend a beautiful day.

I loved this City, and really wanna go back.

IMG_7572.thumb.JPG.f8c6fd1468b9242fc3a200cb8a32fd92.JPG

We really didn't know much about this place before going, other than it was "lovely" and was sorta/kinda a zoo.

I didn't even realize it had anything to do with Ulysses S. Grant, until we read some of the signs in the parking lot.

And if it had been mentioned that it was "sponsored" / "owned" by Anheiser Busch? well, I had forgotten that too.

so we kinda went in blind, as just something to do that had been recommended. Again, I'm really glad we went, I loved it.

IMG_7573.thumb.JPG.415aacdb2da75c7060bc2022fd0a04ed.JPG

after parking, you cross the road, and across this lovely bridge, to get to the main entrance.

IMG_7576.thumb.JPG.08e2c8daa1bc99b44bd08f1e424dd4df.JPG

it was still so quiet, the crossing guard offered to take our picture, so we said sure, and posed.

Nick didn't even argue with me this time, he got out of the car with his cane :)

once you cross the bridge, there is the General Store / Souvenir Shop, and the queue for the trams. Looking at the park map that had been handed to us when we crossed the bridge, it appeared that the trams will take you all the way around the outer perimeter of the estate, and then drop you at the top of the "zoo" section - where one walks down hill ending up in the "German town" section where one can sample beer, see the carriage museum / horses, eat, in a general "festhaus" atmosphere, before taking a short tram ride back to the front gate.

the Tram queue was set up to hold a LOT of people, but this early, we were able to cut a lot of the switchbacks - although they wouldn't let us cut the final row, as that's where they stop you to take a pic in front of a green screen (as any good tourist trap will do) :p

Spoiler. . one of the pics came out so good, that we did end up buying it later (I think it was $25, but what the hell, it was a god pic, and everything else was free).

IMG_7580.thumb.JPG.4fd031fa5186ff13082c3aa67ba6fcf8.JPG

This place is all about the animals, but I thought it was kind of . . respectful, that as their animals pass, they seem to taxidermy and mount them in the tram station.

there were at least 2 dozen heads in here, and the guide told us they had all died of natural causes.

IMG_7581.thumb.JPG.c25b43f7c99fb2b77d2bb866100a40f4.JPG

On the tram.

still not really sure what we are gonna see. . but we're excited for an adventure

IMG_7582.thumb.JPG.92695c7b19b41bc28b23cef0c7625834.JPG

it really is lovely here, and the day was just perfect. Cool enough with a nice breeze.

the trams are large, and hold a ton of people, and they did seem to be filling up quickly. Even in the 5 minutes we had waited in the queue, the line had filled a few switchbacks behind us.

IMG_7583.thumb.JPG.f13f85cd3e31f357b5c96c39712d5ed8.JPG

Ducks around the lake.. and you start to get an idea just how large this property is.

I think the tram ride was a good 10 minute drive to get to the main area.

IMG_7584.thumb.JPG.35652bf1d0737a0b5baeffde785eb78d.JPG

Moving along the front of the property, one can see the flag out front, and traffic on the nearby street.

but once actually IN "Grant's Farm" ? We didn't hear or notice any traffic at all. it really is a beautiful place.

IMG_7586.thumb.JPG.cac99f31642b387f6321f0c0e3bac54a.JPG

and you pass by a historic cabin and some cannons (mentioned, I believe, in the plaque that was in the parking lot).

Not sure if there's actually any kind of tour offered for these things - the tram doesn't stop at all until it pulls up at the "zoo" area, and there didn't seem to be anyone walking around other than grounds maintenance crews.

IMG_7588.thumb.JPG.df1454ecb18ff873e92f6b8ad9bf2c0c.JPG

well. .these guys were walking around.

GOOSE CROSSING!!

IMG_7589.thumb.JPG.95580d39f06107b491710850cb9d1f43.JPG

there were a number of these wood carvings we passed, but wasn't really able to understand what our guide was telling us about them (due to a screaming child sitting in the row behind us). . but liked this peacock carving, and was able to snap a pic as we went by.

You can see from the fence behind it, that we're about to enter what I'd guess would be called "the plains" area, where there were a lot of animals roaming freely among the grass on either side of the tram

IMG_7591.thumb.JPG.701a1b27c2bafc718ac90e42d0cced4f.JPG

such as this guy with his beautiful horns (and way in the back there, are some Zebras)

IMG_7592.thumb.JPG.710be04e293122dd83cb5e9434384908.JPG

and then this guy, a white stag, just sashayed past.

IMG_7593.thumb.JPG.585b21db9c1e1db6cf114680db10fcac.JPG

so, so beautiful. . and not at all spooked by the tram

IMG_7594.thumb.JPG.5feb6eabee369edf49b6febfdce0f060.JPG

IMG_7596.thumb.JPG.71a4cde2c4e5135524a826c8d807d6f9.JPG

These were the babies, that were kept separate for their safety. . tho we did see a couple of baby fawn walking unsteadily with their mammas near the lake.

IMG_7600.thumb.JPG.17c9ed1984f343b8c9114f797b221717.JPG

and then we were at the tram drop off / main entrance to the site.

it was here where they sold tickets to any attractions one wanted to do - all quite reasonable.

you could buy tickets to feed baby goats with bottles, or feed sheep, or ride a camel, or take a ride on a carousel. . . or buy a ticket book that allowed to do all of them at a discount.

of course, which one did I want to do?

IMG_7601.thumb.JPG.27eda4b26d6b7729fa09d63f69bf45d4.JPG

yep, the Carousel.

it was a beauty too. Small, and Older, but beautifully restored, and playing music from a nice organ hidden in the center stalk.

The animals are not carved wood, but instead pressed plastic.. but still, I really enjoyed it and it was worth the trip just for the Carousel (of course, we didn't know about the free beer at the end yet) :p

IMG_7602.thumb.JPG.33fcbcb5a6caa5e2746255344d9f9017.JPG

yeah, I took about 2 dozen pics of us on this thing. . LOL. . but will only post a few.

for how small it is? it really hauled, and you could tell hey take really good, loving care of it.

IMG_7605.thumb.JPG.1dfaddc422671aead0107af8010641d6.JPG

I can easily forgive them for the animals not being carved wood, since they are painted so nicely.

IMG_7606.thumb.JPG.d22019baacba51826024cf8e520929d8.JPG

they even have a White Rabbit (but I wasn't about to "cheat" on my Bunny at SFFT carousel on this stop) :p

IMG_7607.thumb.JPG.763aad10c9ea780f1a1a0625b5b98041.JPG

for a Carousel this size, it's nice they have a chariot on it too.

but I guess the farm does get a lot of grandma's coming with the kiddos, so great of them to have a seated non-moving part of the Carousel for folks to ride with the kiddo.

IMG_7608.thumb.JPG.5f4233bedf7af9f874a86928d9694f9c.JPG

after 2 rides (think they were $3 each, if recalling correctly), we started to make our way around the animals.

nearest the Carousel? Flamingos . . .

IMG_7609.thumb.JPG.9ef7ee6a4cd9901f6a14f8bf98c5d76f.JPG

and Capybaras

who were mainly huddled in the back, even tho it wasn't that hot yet.

IMG_7610.thumb.JPG.ea4f722f406e7156282c503a050cc8a7.JPG

but my phone does a pretty nice zoom. . so could still get an ok pic of them :)

IMG_7611.thumb.JPG.80a894c2777f54a8e109c1316b4d69b7.JPG

looking back at the Carousel, you can get a sense of the size of it, and just how lovely this place is.

our tram WAS full, but most folks went to the left to feed the animals (while we went to the right, since I wanted to ride the Carousel first).

IMG_7612.thumb.JPG.2d553db84f1c61840a18e1d4b5c6ae08.JPG

and me with the Carousel. whee!

IMG_7615.thumb.JPG.cb69630bf0636294944647e4f3a572d0.JPG

after looking at the Capybaras, and me getting my Carousel Fix, Nick had to go to the bathroom, so we headed the few steps back to the main gate so he could do that.

In addition to the restrooms, over here they have a gift shop geared to the goats/feeding goats.. with some GREAT T-shirts. Unfortunately, the shirts were only in kids sizes. I even asked if they have any larger sizes at the main shop up front where the parking lot is, and the counter lady told me "sadly, no.. people have been asking for years for adult sizes, but they only want to sell the kids sizes"

I don't really understand that, except maybe they want to make it extra special for the kids - ie: here's something ONLY for you - since they can't partake in the beer later on down the path. so it was a little disappointing, but otherwise, a very nice gift shop that also had a reading corner, with a clown (who had puppets) keeping the little ones entertained.

and as noted, there were already a LOT of little ones about, and more tramfulls coming every 10 minutes or so.

IMG_7616.thumb.JPG.5da58236bffc2d351aebf40c9d265089.JPG

so once Nick finished up, we went back into the park, and to the left. . to see the goats.

I didn't really want to touch a goat (even with all the available hand sanitizer), and really didn't see a need to buy a bottle to feed any, since everyone else was doing that.

so I was happy just to hang out and get pics of other people feeding the goats.

IMG_7617.thumb.JPG.6252b5a237345ea450ec86e56f2c13e3.JPG

See?

IMG_7618.thumb.JPG.13641f2711b03e1c9729d5caa998f9aa.JPG

See?

IMG_7619.thumb.JPG.b2dd86763724442fe81296c7a5a63961.JPG

and they all think you have food for them anyways. . so the moment you get close? they pop their heads right up to be fed.

IMG_7620.thumb.JPG.420fa9f1a20cbcecdbffd5ac7e269323.JPG

Sorry dude, no food for you. . I don't wanna touch anything that's gonna touch a goat today.

IMG_7621.thumb.JPG.57e33cc7efd08b63c12deffbf77ab54b.JPG

I said "NO" mister!

IMG_7622.thumb.JPG.9e9262ee255f221f54fa0866eddc1f73.JPG

holee crap, that's a big bunny over there.. . will have to go see what that's about, but first we have to go next door to the . . .

IMG_7624.thumb.JPG.05444fc5909275fd4d4ab421d1a10b6f.JPG

Sheep!!

who are also hoping to get food, but they get dry food, so we did toss them a few pellets that were gifted to us to feed them from a parent who's child was having a meltdown and had to get away from the animals.

IMG_7625.thumb.JPG.90fc3f6105a52cbfec6baa7ead4b6da7.JPG

very pretty, and photogenic.

IMG_7626.thumb.JPG.ff661ae75499f23d87a3dc62da5e5505.JPG

they have a couple of bald Eagles there too

(I still hadn't really put together the Anheiser-Busch/Budwieser - AMERICA connection yet. . LOL

IMG_7627.thumb.JPG.b67764512611b9ce8a553856602e4f6f.JPG

no cages, but obviously these dudes don't fly.

IMG_7629.thumb.JPG.4e40844b61e35973ada1bdd69821ee6a.JPG

ooo. you're cute! what are you?

IMG_7630.thumb.JPG.0de8df41236f2ceeef07da02c1472163.JPG

ok, a Cavy. .no idea. . but you're cute.

IMG_7631.thumb.JPG.fefeb56168b2b7cbd434b7ff7835a536.JPG

Like a giant chipmunk.

IMG_7632.thumb.JPG.fbd741e21d5f6b2abd732ac2ae3c4a41.JPG

This was the monkeyhouse for the Lemurs. All kinds of toys and fountains for them to play with, but couldn't see much of them, just a tail here or there. Lazy Lemurs :)

IMG_7633.thumb.JPG.50ad2d39f6a599f22378e66b95bf9f1c.JPG

Looking back towards the entrance/Carousel. . so you can see we really haven't moved very far into the area, but have seen a lot of animals already.

again, will state how lovely this place is.

IMG_7634.thumb.JPG.00946c0b41d9351a1561394637e13995.JPG

one of the giant bunnies pretending to be a slipper. . .LOL

IMG_7635.thumb.JPG.79e916d1afc9271178b5fbb6134ebfb5.JPG

. . and now,

to the absolute HORROR of the family next to us with the two little kids,

but to Nick and I's hysterical Amusements. . .

IMG_7636.thumb.JPG.085bf4bd6a80df4d202ae58d971f0a4a.JPG

bunnies, being bunnies !!

ta-daaaa!

LOL

IMG_7637.thumb.JPG.23d9c39524ec427ed39a4ae9f546f2d3.JPG

and while the bunnies were going at it like there was no tomorrow?

right next door, the tortise was just happy chilling.

IMG_7638.thumb.JPG.060bc6d8f579cca1e8e3c3046d5b29a9.JPG

and she had her lettuce and her pellets. . didn't want no turtle love, just her food.

a tortise after my own heart.

IMG_7639.thumb.JPG.86f47f62c02119ee5117fad1eace691e.JPG

a map showing the layout of Grant's Farm.

the tram drops you off at the 3-star, and you walk thru the zoo area, and you exit at the tram pick up at the 4-star, that brings you back to the front gates.

it looks way smaller than the area is, and we easily could have spent a good 4-5 hours here, instead of the 2 1/2 or so that we did.

IMG_7642.thumb.JPG.6c3cfe167153c5659759a9f37304ccd2.JPG

this little fluffball was just roaming around jumping between animal pens - and the animals in those pens (mainly Tortoises, Hares, and Sheep), just ignored it.

I think it's a baby chicken?

IMG_7646.thumb.JPG.a87e18c76ff92ec16a5409d490aae631.JPG

yep. they have Ostriches too. . in a giant pen, tho the only pics I got of them were the heads poking up over the rocks (the keepers told us they used to have Elephants until fairly recently when the last one they had passed. . and it looked to me like the Ostriches were in the old Elephant pen)

IMG_7647.thumb.JPG.4aed8fc53e9d55f9c6b59686486e8404.JPG

going to the other side of the monkey house.. THERE'S a Lemur.

IMG_7649.thumb.JPG.7e25fdcf9500d3220340453a05b9b79e.JPG

and moving on, we found roaming peacocks.

IMG_7650.thumb.JPG.bff7a419393721d4fe0d3d358e998067.JPG

who posed for a pretty picture.

IMG_7652.thumb.JPG.2f3307879f3722a471338a4ca03f955b.JPG

there are a number of colorful birds here in this section, but we only glanced at them as we're not big "bird" people. Nick didn't even go thru the bird house in the St. Louis zoo if you recall

IMG_7653.thumb.JPG.e03207d5a29846345e9d346e6fed3fef.JPG

but they do have "waterfoul" at the *brilliantly* named "5-Fountain Lake"

I wonder what they do if one of the fountains break? do they have a magnetic "4" they hang on the sign? :p

IMG_7655.thumb.JPG.c33f7e9bac7a126c0e1fcbd52c3a2912.JPG

what I think is a very nice pic of Nick and I, so including

IMG_7656.thumb.JPG.4a3fb8f2ef87920eafcef2ed288a5c19.JPG

a look towards the German Town Square area. . but first we have . . . Camel Rides?

I begged Nick to get on one, so we could get a picture, as the rides were really reasonable price wise, and the picture they would take would be too.

but he was starting to hurt and wanted to get off his feet.

So I sat him down on a bench and I went over to look at the camels.

IMG_7658.thumb.JPG.9c62f18e07f29e1350bee2689a6dd1dc.JPG

what day is it???

(it was Monday, but don't worry, my fat ass isn't gonna climb up on you today)!

IMG_7659.thumb.JPG.437cf787bec057a2b66cbd96fc7393ff.JPG

but I WILL take a picture with you.

IMG_7660.thumb.JPG.9d057b1bc5b37f1c9790b80560a8cbe7.JPG

I then went over to where Nick had been resting on the bench, and we were ready to grab a bite to eat.

but first took a pic of the entrance gate proper into the "German Square area"

IMG_7662.thumb.JPG.d1e0b57a2edbbcfbb7123a871f72d08d.JPG

you could feed these guys too, but I just took some pictures, as didn't really wanna touch animals today.

IMG_7663.thumb.JPG.e143d233494febda639b2d77e111b4c6.JPG

IMG_7664.thumb.JPG.364d58210ddd737b15c9cd568e9bca19.JPG

IMG_7666.thumb.JPG.b36c558ef7d4b9791e3c71c6c42eab68.JPG

even from far away, the Llamas kinda stunk. . the Camels weren't a rose garden, but the Llamas were like a sewer. One has to wonder just what they enjoy rolling in.

IMG_7668.thumb.JPG.af878a0886aaa85749758366e59ad7b7.JPG

the Camels have such pretty eyes, and they were SO friendly.

IMG_7669.thumb.JPG.65b5dbac3fce36d444977c8cc73cee39.JPG

Nick wasn't with me over here, but they had a photo op, with the AB logo/sign, and I love me a photo op.

So stopped for a pic (I'm So sexy!)

IMG_7672.thumb.JPG.e8848e45af520813442ae900e2b084b2.JPG

a nice memorial to the Elephants the park had was across the way from the Camel Rides, as well as some additional pens, with roaming Camels, Llamas, and Oxen

IMG_7674.thumb.JPG.93f072c73617e6c3f3070deec2a6d622.JPG

a couple coming in asked if we wanted a pic together in front of it, so of course we said yes.

the folks we met on this St Louis trip were so dang friendly. . we had such pleasant interactions with almost everyone.

IMG_7676.thumb.JPG.a3f49c7dd68705a29c6dc12ab82c86a2.JPG

stepping into the main square, which they had set up with a lot of tables and seating (and stages that looked like they had music there often). . but up there on the right? that looked like stables, so I wanted to check that out.

turned out that it is a stables of sorts - where they keep many horses (including the Clydesdales) when they are bringing them for washing, brushing, prettying up for photo-ops with the guests, and / or commercial shoots. Turns out that Grant's Farm has a separate stables - not on public view - where they maintain the largest group of Clydesdales in the USA for Team Budweiser..that was pretty cool.

also over here in the "grooming" area, was a small museum featuring carts/carriages (I think themed to how they used to deliver beer..but not 100% sure). the Carriages on display were really cool, and I could have spent much longer in here, even tho the cramped way they were displayed made it a little hard to appreciate some of the carving in them.

Still very cool to have onsite, and an unexpected surprise

(tho to be fair, we went in mostly blind, so it was all unexpected)

IMG_7677.thumb.JPG.9b9bd8d107ca69fa068d7007ad5a83d9.JPG

very cool Carriage, with some incredible hand painting on it.

(you can see behind it how some of the other carriages were crammed in, so you couldn't really get good pics of them).

IMG_7678.thumb.JPG.b3712e3968a7420ee6cc30b4eab2362b.JPG

but some of the more unique ones were out on the main floor for viewing

IMG_7680.thumb.JPG.37c2e4edd427d2b2082c5b2826e61e98.JPG

and at the end of the room..where they bring out the horses to groom.

including this adorable little miniature horse.

IMG_7680a.thumb.JPG.7c98f787ebc30862589548fe711fc595.JPG

and this guy who looks like he's getting inflated thru his butt, due to the angle of the picture. . LOL

IMG_7680b.thumb.JPG.8df74a628fffaa6b8437cf9374630f3d.JPG

here's a pic without the "butt-hose"

IMG_7680c.thumb.JPG.6fb1e066764064711e3be8d54acfb6de.JPG

although his buddy on the other side couldn't avoid the groomer around his backside either. . .:p

IMG_7681.thumb.JPG.c7e62da44232f7dfa25edfd6bec5fb60.JPG

a look back at one of the Clydesdales, waiting his turn to be groomed.

IMG_7683.thumb.JPG.0e4c436dc12d1a7cd2ea13ae88b2f9f0.JPG

and a few more carriages on the way out, to go across to the cafe, as we were really starting to get hungry

IMG_7684.thumb.JPG.72d1f0a2dfd5d0274c50c45b7fc0b326.JPG

IMG_7685.thumb.JPG.3201667267ea9efc407c8fedafd91877.JPG

this is the exit to the trams, but the BratHaus cafe is just under it to the left.

it was basically a counter service place, but they had a pretty decent menu (if you enlarge you might be able to make it out), including soups, salads, sandwiches, brats (of course), pretzels (with beer cheese sauce), and a lot of other stuff.

we ended up with brats (standard with Saurkraut and Jalepeno), as well as pretzels with beer-cheese dipping sauce.

we picked up a couple of waters too, but we had by now noticed that right next door to the BratHaus? the Busch Hospitality Bar. . with free Samples

IMG_7687.thumb.JPG.70eabef0f997d862635b7b90ddb7f3a8.JPG

it was still fairly early (maybe 10:45 or so), so they were not busy yet. . and got t go in with no line, and chat with the gentleman behind the counter.

they had multiple options on tap, 2 samples per person (so Nick and I could get 4) all nice and cold, and best part, free.

if we didn't want what was on tap, there was another room next door that sold canned and bottled beer in many more varieties, but really? why do that when there are so many options here?

MOST of them acceptable . . LOL

IMG_7688.thumb.JPG.cf7cb347e0b396a4c76815e2bc44ee7a.JPG

I really liked some of the classic Tankards on display.

IMG_7689.thumb.JPG.2453ef4368e0148b5e1cc5f4e68b7b45.JPG

and even the classic Budweiser sign was pretty cool.

IMG_7690.thumb.JPG.125d9a1de562c1a53eb21b6a0e012c46.JPG

oh, and when they say "samples". .they mean freaking FULL glasses.

glass #1. . (no, I don't remember what it was. .just that it was ice cold, and it was good)

IMG_7691.thumb.JPG.525c4afbbd63d319ce12f18fbc24d088.JPG

this was glass #2. . ShockTop Belgian white. . it was pretty good that I recall

IMG_7693.thumb.JPG.34b5c69549aaa574487e00a12efbbe9a.JPG

one of these is Stella. . the other is the beer from the 1st pic.

Nick wasn't gonna drink, so I ended up getting at least 1 of his beers. I wasn't worried about getting buzzed from 3 beers, especially since we were about to eat.

and yes, I inhaled that Brat that's sitting behind the beer in these pics.

IMG_7694.thumb.JPG.59a34b027c409dd63d21a002181e3e9d.JPG

and I even joked to Nick about how - look, I'm gonna do a CoasterBill trip report, with beer in it!

tho not sure Bill would be happy with Busch/Budweiser as the free options. . but hey, the price was right, and I was having a grand old time.

they also had set up a number of "cider", "Icee" and "ice cream" stands around the inside of the courtyard, I suppose to give the kiddos something to beg for while the adults drank and hung out.

the tables out here, WERE starting to fill up, and the place was getting noticeably more crowded.

IMG_7696.thumb.JPG.0df8f0635810251cbc59c677a8e9bb7f.JPG

here you can see a few folks going into the "crafhaus" to buy the bottled/canned beer. .they didn't want the free stuff on tap, I guess.

IMG_7697.thumb.JPG.698af0e36103d068adec3c6e27298387.JPG

ok. .so after 3 beers.. I WAS feeling it a little bit.

(LOL. . we hadn't eaten that morning, so other than what we just ate, all that was in me was beer).

so because we didn't have to leave just yet (which I used as an excuse to lose some of the buzz), I dragged Nick back out to where the Camels were.

IMG_7698.thumb.JPG.439b57009567301ac578d50b87932c93.JPG

and I fed them.

LOL. . didn't wanna touch any animals, but the moment I get a slight buzz? Camel spit all over my hand. . .

IMG_7698a.thumb.JPG.77b208d45aee52734dd1fa1cb64813f9.JPG

IMG_7698b.thumb.JPG.c96938592b24e07fae069e95d9c448d4.JPG

IMG_7698c.thumb.JPG.6551631c8fd33581554906934a5816c2.JPG

I even pet them too!

they were like giant puppies. . so loving (tho I'm not stupid, they were only so loving because I had food, the moment i had no more camel pellets, they wandered off to someone else who had a fresh handful of them).

IMG_7702.thumb.JPG.fa745bb57f39ff4bd1b19d69987b302d.JPG

and since Nick was with me now, I dragged him with me back to the photo op so I could get a pic of both of us with the Grant's Farm/AB logo :)

IMG_7707.thumb.JPG.135bb0604a87452f965184d16a0e9120.JPG

we wandered around a bit in the sun, and I think may have gone back in to look at them grooming a Clydesdale (but for some reason didn't take a pic of that). . and then on the way to the tram? what did we see?

yep. . Dippin Dots ! they are everywhere!

I asked the young man in the booth to tell me all the secrets about RMC Gwazi at BGT. . since you know, the dippin dots guys know *everything*.. but he just looked at me like I was crazy, and laughed when I explained.

:)

then it was out to the tram, to go back to the front gates - which by then had lines that not only completely filled all the switchbacks for the tram, went back OVER the bridge, and along the entryway street! The parking lot was completely full, and they were sending cars back to . . .someplace off in the distance for overflow.

so yeah, it really did get crowded by Noon. On a Monday! I'd highly recommend this place, but if you go, try to get there just at opening to really have time to enjoy it. I can't imagine Nick would have been happy if we pulled up and saw the line that long to get in.

IMG_7720.thumb.JPG.19a044548cb32bbac75fca592f19e5ca.JPG

we did some shopping in the General Store - where I bought a T-shirt and a magnet, and then we ended up purchasing the green screen picture we had taken earlier in the morning.

3 of the 4 shots looked really fake.

but this one? this one was good, and they knew it too, as they had chosen to print this one out the biggest.

so we spent too much $$ on a souvenir photo, and then headed out to the car in order to go to the airport and return the rental car.

of course, we immediately got hella lost (the directions going back were crap), and we got a lovely tour of some seedy parts of St. Louis. Fighting the whole way, of course, since Nick was supposed to be navigting, but he has a real problem regarding reading more than 2 lines ahead in the printed directions.. so when quick turns come up, he misses them - and then *I* miss them, since I'm driving.

But once I spotted the arch, and just headed that way? eventually we were back near our Hotel and found our way to the airport easily from there.

IMG_7661.thumb.JPG.2ac21a92951ca315c179c04a25bccc96.JPG

They even have a baby (well, a few months old) there closest to us.

Glad you had a good time at the "original" Busch Gardens! It's also the only one still owned by AB, so all that beer on tap is AB products. Around here Budweiser is the local brewery, and they do make a few acceptable products, including that Shock Top.

And lol at those rabbits...You came here to see animals, this is what animals do!

Glad you had a good time at the "original" Busch Gardens! It's also the only one still owned by AB, so all that beer on tap is AB products. Around here Budweiser is the local brewery, and they do make a few acceptable products, including that Shock Top.

And lol at those rabbits...You came here to see animals, this is what animals do!

yeah, the Shock Top was really good (from what I recall). . and I still remain astounded at the size of the samples! (even when at BGW and they were doing the 49cent beer, it was in the much smaller glasses).

Love that you call it "the original BG". . LOL

and yeah, on the rabbits - I mean. . they are rabbits! what do people expect to see?

(this was the only "show" we did. . tho Grant's Farm did have two "shows" on the schedule (one an upcharge and one free), we didn't do either show while there).

Great TR! Looks like a very fun place! I wanted to check out this place when I was in StL last time over July 4th weekend, but didn't. I can't remember exactly why we opted not to go, but I think it was because it would to take too long for my time frame.

as noted, I think it's a wonderful stop to make if you get the chance, and only having to pay for parking makes it an even nicer deal.

would I have bypassed the City Museum, the St. Louis Zoo, SFStL or the Arch for it?

no, but if I had to choose between the SLAM (St. Louis Art Museum) or Grant's Farm.. would have chosen Grant's Farm. Luckily we didn't have to decide and got to do both!

but certainly worth a trip if in the city again.

glad you've enjoyed the TR

and batting clean up on this TR.. we made it to the Airport (which was way bigger it seemed going out, than it had coming in. . since, of course, our gate was *way* at the end of the terminal on the opposite side of the one restaurant in the airport that sold T-ravs. Something we had been dying to try, and just hadn't had the chance yet).

I absolutely loved the people and the touristy attractions in St. Louis, and I really look forwards to heading back there in a the next few years for a return visit. Maybe even a weekend in 2020.

IMG_7708.thumb.JPG.aa821ca5f68baf5828f0d871601746fc.JPG

Nick stopping to take a rest in the "airport rockers". . . on the long walk to our gate.

it was a nice area tho, with a lot of seating avail.

IMG_7710.thumb.JPG.4307f221c39cf8cdae98119a723b0903.JPG

airport T-Ravs.

better than no T-ravs, I say.

How were they? I actually found them to be a bit salty (guessing it was the Parmesan sprinkled on top), but when eaten dipped into the tomato sauce there? were actually pretty dang good.

not sure I could eat more than just this amount of them tho - as they were very filling, due to the fried outer shell.

IMG_7715.thumb.JPG.6090d998744271aff3d8cc5a4bbb46f2.JPG

the Magnet I got at Grant's Farm

IMG_7726.thumb.JPG.4c44dcd700e30317be40c3dcc9afcabd.JPG

and this Souvenir T-shirt that I loved, and already have been wearing a TON.

• 1 month later...

Bert!! This thread was buried waaaay deep in my emails and I just saw that you finally finished the report.So glad that you enjoyed Grant's Farm and I echo the sentiment that you should try the Hill if you come back. Let me know your plans if it comes to fruition.

The boy and I are still hoping to put together a Texas trip during Spring Break, I will let you know as soon as we have a definite date.

Bert!! This thread was buried waaaay deep in my emails and I just saw that you finally finished the report.So glad that you enjoyed Grant's Farm and I echo the sentiment that you should try the Hill if you come back. Let me know your plans if it comes to fruition.

The boy and I are still hoping to put together a Texas trip during Spring Break, I will let you know as soon as we have a definite date.

yeah, let me know and I can confirm for you what's going on in Austin at that time (as if you were gonna come to Austin, you have to avoid SXSW, ACL Fest, or any of many other things that really shoot up Hotel rates).

tho if you are just gonna hit some Texas parks, I certainly would try to make the effort to meet y'all at SFFT (for sure) and maybe even SFoT if on a weekend - and Nick would even come too, he really liked hanging out with you, Kim!

not surprised it got buried tho, LOL, done lots of stuff since St Louis!

• 1 year later...

^ a bump after two years, and your first post?

i feel special.

but thanks tho. . . I really did enjoy St. Louis, and lets others see the trip, since some have been asking about visiting SFStL on the TPR FB page, and I've tried to describe Grant's Farm (and here it is with pictures).

• 2 weeks later...

While I don't understand either of them. . . I think I enjoy the dude who tries, but never quite succeeds in writing in "Haiku" format, more than I like Carol's attempts.

• Like 1