Summer Roadtrip

I need some advice/tips/tricks!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Summer Roadtrip

Postby DarienPoint » Wed May 29, 2019 12:57 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:La Ronde is the Fuji-Q of North America. :wink:

What do they even have in common.. :lmao:
Darien Lake is my home park. :kiss:

Coaster Count: 100 || Parks: 16
100th Coaster: Comet @ TGE :b
Top 10: 1. Superman the Ride | 2. Wicked Cyclone | 3. Millennium Force | 4. Maverick | 5. Leviathan | 6. Goliath (La Ronde) | 7. Kingda Ka | 8. Behemoth | 9. Bizzaro | 10. El Toro

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu May 30, 2019 4:44 am

I don't hate La Ronde as much as most. Having to wait 2 hours just to enter the park royally sucked, but I enjoyed my time once I entered. I liked Goliath, Vampire, and their flat rides, but many rides were closed during my visit and that doesn't seem to be out of the ordinary.

As others have said, Seabreeze is a small park and crowds there aren't a big issue. The longest I've waited there is a half hour for the spinner and a half hour for Bobsleds.

Great Escape isn't a full day park. The park has a charm to it and the Comet is very good. I've visited the park a few times and only ridden the Comet. :lol: Alpine Bobsled is the only other notable coaster. It's a fun ride (and a rare one too), but it rarely operates (can't run in rain, can't run after 6, usually opens late if it even opens). Their water park is excellent though. Also I strongly recommend the awesome Around the World and Goony Golf mini golf courses in the village. They're better than Great Escape.

Canada's Wonderland has very efficient operations, but they can get slammed. Be prepared to buy FastLane if you want to ride all the coasters and/or reride the B&Ms. The merge points are in the station, so you usually can board in 5 minutes with FastLane. Just make sure to ride Guardian early since it isn't on the FastLane and has a dreadfully slow moving line.

If you haven't been to Fantasy Island, I think you'll pass it and Silver Comet is a nice wooden coaster.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Postby DarienPoint » Thu May 30, 2019 8:48 am

^ Noted, thanks!

I am planning to get FastLane/Flash Pass for both CW and LR, but we're going during the weekdays, so would it be slammed at CW, probably gonna play it by ear (or sight haha).

Yeah, I've lived here my whole life and never have been to Fantasy Island, I always was a Darien Lake kid (and still am). ;)

Top 10: 1. Superman the Ride | 2. Wicked Cyclone | 3. Millennium Force | 4. Maverick | 5. Leviathan | 6. Goliath (La Ronde) | 7. Kingda Ka | 8. Behemoth | 9. Bizzaro | 10. El Toro

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu May 30, 2019 9:21 am

Definitely check Fantasy Island out. I've also heard that Mind Warp flat is nuts.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Postby coasterbill » Thu May 30, 2019 9:23 am

Mind Warp is nuts and Silver Comet is a lot of fun. We went for the first time on Monday. We expected to be in and out within an hour and we spent a solid 3-4 hours there.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby anonymouscactus » Thu May 30, 2019 6:00 pm

So in other words spent 3-4 hours just riding those two rides? :-p

I actually, somehow, some way, did get on Mind Warp, and you are right, it's pretty nuts. The cycle was just long enough as to not make me cry like a baby to get off because I started to get sick, but I'll tell you, the ride is awesome.

Did you at least ride the canoes? I used to work at the park and it was always fun "rescuing" people who didn't understand the concept of paddling properly. I wasn't sure if the water is still radioactive in the summer too.

I'll probably try to hit up the park next weekend with a bring a friend free... I still don't think I could convince my wife to go there (unfortunately I told too many horror stories from when I worked there) but maybe your review of those two rides at least will help, lol.

As far as food goes at Wonderland, I'm not sure why it gets such a bad rap on here, they have some of the most unique food at the Backlot cafe that you wouldn't find at any other theme park.(http://cpfoodblog.com/park-food-guides/canadas-wonderland-food/backlot-cafe/) and then the hidden Muskoka Grill has a really good burger that they prepare on the grill right in front of you (http://cpfoodblog.com/park-food-guides/canadas-wonderland-food/muskoka-craft-burger-beer/) though they scaled back the options this year and the regular Burger is no longer on the dining plan :( I wouldn't be surprised if that got a bunch of backlash on that, though. Even in my 10 minutes of waiting there were a lot of people bitching about it.

The new peach hard cider in the park really good and refreshing. I'm not normally a fan of peach flavored things but it was awesome.

If you have any specific questions about Wonderland, let me know.

Postby DarienPoint » Fri May 31, 2019 2:04 pm

Will do! Is there any sort of plan I should do for La Ronde or Wonderland? I know those two parks will be the busiest, so should I start from the back of the park, hit a certain ride, or...?

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri May 31, 2019 2:14 pm

Nrthwnd wrote: La Ronde is the Fuji-Q of North America. :wink:

Summer Roadtrip wrote: What do they even have in common.. :lmao:

This is true. ;)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Honorarius » Fri May 31, 2019 7:54 pm

anonymouscactus wrote:As far as food goes at Wonderland, I'm not sure why it gets such a bad rap on here, they have some of the most unique food at the Backlot cafe that you wouldn't find at any other theme park.(http://cpfoodblog.com/park-food-guides/canadas-wonderland-food/backlot-cafe/) and then the hidden Muskoka Grill has a really good burger that they prepare on the grill right in front of you (http://cpfoodblog.com/park-food-guides/canadas-wonderland-food/muskoka-craft-burger-beer/) though they scaled back the options this year and the regular Burger is no longer on the dining plan :( I wouldn't be surprised if that got a bunch of backlash on that, though. Even in my 10 minutes of waiting there were a lot of people bitching about it.

Because aside from the aforementioned Backlot, it's an overwhelming abundance of the theme park standards: mediocre pizza, low-effort burgers and off the shelf chicken fingers... And I'm hoping they've changed it since early in the year, but they had removed the fountains from Backlot, so even if you had a drink plan/cup you either had to go elsewhere to get a drink, or purchase bottled... 9 times last year I wanted to try the buffet (I've heard it's good), 9 times they were closed for private event... Alpen Cheesery always closed, La Cantina I tried once, and the quality was worse than Taco Bell left in the trunk of a car for a weekend...

Postby DarienPoint » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:47 pm

So I found out we could get a military discount ticket for $24 each at Fantasy Island a while ago, and today we decided to go!

The park is really nice! It looks very well kept, the buildings look pretty nice (I loved western town), and the rides are very nice! The kids area is a great addition for this park, it’s themed pretty well!

Silver Comet: A pretty good CCI! The back was better than the front, you get pops of airtime in the back rows without getting slammed to the side whenever it turns. I enjoyed it very much!

Crazy Mouse: Your typical Zamperla spinning mouse coaster, I got a pretty good amount of spinning lol. Was a little rough though.

I never got to Max’s Doggy Dog coaster or Dragon’s Flight for the credits as we got there a little late and it closed at 7pm. BUT we ended up upgrading to a season pass cause it was only $10 to do so! So that means we can come back of course, or go to Indiana Beach! Pretty cool!

Mind Warp was UNREAL. Watching it I was thinking “is this gonna be the first ride I’ll ever get sick on?” but thankfully I didn’t haha. Once it started to swing oh my gosh it was so crazy, yet amazingly fun! Absolutely loved it.

The antique cars are pretty cool! The bridge was nice, and I honestly prefer these over Darien Lake’s.

I didn’t eat here, as we ate beforehand and weren’t here for long, but I did get dippin’ dots lol.

Onto the photos! (:
FA5CB884-555D-4F9B-82B5-076B3648ACF3.jpeg
It was a very nice afternoon here, hot + sunny.
E10A313A-3AF2-420E-BCB9-38E14C4FE940.jpeg
Hello Western Town!
3110EC4D-A455-473E-880E-6971D9752580.jpeg
The Golden Nugget, nice theming for a restaurant.
51898611-0904-4B21-AD17-BD66FBD0D7DA.jpeg
The park’s setting is so nice! Very naturesque.
C9F59943-F5B1-4523-8BE6-8AA55A26B418.jpeg
This was a “next time because we just ate.” Lol
E10680B2-3518-46D5-8784-BBCBA9426090.jpeg
Awesome woodie.
AC64E72B-9E90-4E41-A759-40A63814F90C.jpeg
Happy anniversary!!!
923A4EE2-5D3E-42D0-97A9-E6ADEE2C79F4.jpeg
I love a good Zamperla Disk’o!
F3D8F0EC-6A37-4546-9ED7-BD94C0B8EB07.jpeg
UNREAL.
D746D346-E89E-446E-9DEC-CE3055014C10.jpeg
I’ll say it again, UNREAL.
C47D4F89-B64F-434F-9749-AD21855DC393.jpeg
My dad got this AWESOME shot! Mind Warp + Silver Comet at their peak and the Disk’o (I literally don’t know the name of) starting to run.
614512EF-22E7-428E-A649-DFF9496A7CE1.jpeg
Crazy Mouse + the Ferris wheel, which was down for some reason, the motors for it were on the ground.
036C8B16-4485-48AE-893F-9D0C26D0C406.jpeg
Really cool that they have I Got It! here.
D5781F73-6D90-4E4F-93B9-A2282410D36A.jpeg
Very photogenic!
21AE2303-8EAC-49E9-A268-3DF7754BAEA5.jpeg
Thanks for a great first time Fantasy Island!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!