Summer Roadtrip

I need some advice/tips/tricks!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Summer Roadtrip

Postby DarienPoint » Sat May 25, 2019 4:55 pm

Hi y'all!

So this Summer, around the end of July, I'm planning to do my first "multiple park road trip." I'm sort of looking for advice, plan of attack, etc, from locals of the parks I'm going to, or honestly anyone really.

The order would probably be:
Canada's Wonderland
La Ronde
Great Escape
Seabreeze (maybe?)

I have a Six Flags Gold Plus membership (because my home park is SFDL) with a dining pass, so what should I do for Canada's Wonderland? Should I expect to buy a fast lane ahead of time? Also what parks should we go out of the park to eat for?

It's my dad and I (we're both roller coaster people, we'll ride anything haha), and we're trying to get on everything most likely. Wondering if any of the parks would be a two-day park, and what rides should we go to first.
Last edited by DarienPoint on Sun May 26, 2019 7:55 am.
Darien Lake is my home park. :kiss:

Coaster Count: 100 || Parks: 16
100th Coaster: Comet @ TGE :b
Top 10: 1. Superman the Ride | 2. Wicked Cyclone | 3. Millennium Force | 4. Maverick | 5. Leviathan | 6. Goliath (La Ronde) | 7. Kingda Ka | 8. Behemoth | 9. Bizzaro | 10. El Toro

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Summer Roadtrip

Postby larrygator » Sat May 25, 2019 7:01 pm

The advice you get is more likely to be useful if the respondents know more about what you and your co-travelers enjoy.

For example, Are you traveling alone, with kids, how old, etc...? Do you like water rides? Do you want to ride every coaster or just the ones considered better or unique? Do you enjoy flat rides, spinning rides, etc...? Are you looking for food
/drink suggestions inside and/or outside of the parks?
Last edited by larrygator on Sat May 25, 2019 7:34 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby 3Mutts » Sun May 26, 2019 7:22 am

DarienPoint wrote:Hi y'all!

So this Summer, around the end of July, I'm planning to do my first "multiple park road trip." I'm sort of looking for advice, plan of attack, etc, from locals of the parks I'm going to, or honestly anyone really.

The order would probably be:
Canada's Wonderland
La Ronde
Great Escape
Seabreeze (maybe?)

I have a Six Flags Gold Plus membership (because my home park is SFDL) with a dining pass, so what should I do for Canada's Wonderland? Should I expect to buy a fast lane ahead of time?

Honestly any advice would be awesome, as all of these parks I'm going to are a first time, thanks!

One thing to keep in mind when going to Canada is gas prices, gas in Canada is ridiculously expensive even compared to NYS outrageous prices thanks to Trudeau and his Carbon tax. Oil is $67 a barrel and Canadians are paying the equivalent of oil at $150!
Coaster Count: 142 total 94 steel 48 wood
Favorite Steel Coaster: Skyrush at Hershey Park
Favorite Wood Coaster: A tie between The Voyage at Holiday World and T Express at Everland
I'm posting from a IPad so I can't enable pics/video

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun May 26, 2019 12:01 pm

If you are at Canada's Wonderland from open to close you will get on all coasters and enjoy their excellent flat ride collection. However, you may not get multiple rides. The park is generally massively crowded on summer weekends. You will need Fast Lane to get on all coasters and multiple rides on the big ones. The food is not in the park but there is plenty to snack on (mini donuts and beaver tails). If you like typical park food (dogs,burgers,chicken strips) the one day dining pass or $32 is worth if you are in the park long enough to eat three meals. You can get more food after 90 minutes from your last meal.

La Ronde, operations are ridiculously poor and it is not uncommon for all coasters to have one hour plus waits on a typical summer weekend. Flash Pass is recommend for your own sanity. If it is clear you are American you won't encounter any bias from the French speakers, however, to do hold a slight grudge against English speaking Canadians.

Great Escape - The park is not an all day park unless you do the water park or have youngsters. The Comet is the only standout coaster, but Bobsled coasters are still rare, and this one rarely opens. The beer options are better than the food options.

Seabreeze - You won't need more than four hours if you can get on Bobsleds quickly. It is a slow moving line, but worth riding for its historical significance and it is fun.
Last edited by larrygator on Sun May 26, 2019 12:02 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby DarienPoint » Sun May 26, 2019 2:21 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'm planning on going during the week (would that make a difference?), so it might not be as crowded. I'm usually one to be okay with park food.

Top 10: 1. Superman the Ride | 2. Wicked Cyclone | 3. Millennium Force | 4. Maverick | 5. Leviathan | 6. Goliath (La Ronde) | 7. Kingda Ka | 8. Behemoth | 9. Bizzaro | 10. El Toro

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue May 28, 2019 1:16 pm

La Ronde is terrible but Montreal is great. I highly suggest setting aside some time to check out the city itself. Even with a Six Flags dining plan I suggest going into the city hungry, the food scene is top notch.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue May 28, 2019 1:24 pm

La Ronde is the Fuji-Q of North America. :wink:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby DarienPoint » Tue May 28, 2019 1:32 pm

I did wanna adventure around Montreal itself, I'm going into La Ronde with lower than low expectations lol, just gonna get the credits, ride my first Giant Discovery, ride Vol Ultime for the view, and leave.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby JG-77 » Tue May 28, 2019 5:53 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:La Ronde is the Fuji-Q of North America. :wink:

Except Fuji-Q is full of rides that are actually work risking a visit for.
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue May 28, 2019 6:07 pm

JG-77 wrote:
Nrthwnd wrote:La Ronde is the Fuji-Q of North America. :wink:

Except Fuji-Q is full of rides/coasters that are actually worth risking a visit for.

Fixed? And agreed, totally. :)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!