aueft's Philadelphia Labor day week trip plans

Plans and (eventually) trip report for trip later this year
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: aueft's Philadelphia Labor day week trip plans

Postby Mike240SX » Tue May 14, 2019 4:39 am

aueft wrote:Is Philadelphia's downtown car friendly? I figured that taking public transit during my city day(s) would be preferable due to traffic and parking irritations.

It's not the most unfriendly driving city I've been in. There's usually a garage or surface lot every other block or so. I typically park in one place and then Uber/Lyft/Taxi where-ever else I'm going, but that's typically due to intoxication rather than annoyance at driving/parking.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 134
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:43 am

aueft wrote:Is Philadelphia's downtown car friendly? I figured that taking public transit during my city day(s) would be preferable due to traffic and parking irritations.

It's not that bad, nowhere near the headache of driving in Manhattan. Make sure you don't block the box (keep the intersections clear) and you're all set.

The real headache is parking. Yes, there are lots generally all over, but parking in the city is in general super expensive. The safest bet for you is, if you find a parking lot with a really friendly rate, dump the car there and take public transit / car shares around.

Also, forgot to mention - as a big fan of U.S. history and civics, I personally LOVE the National Constitution Center on the other end of Independence Mall. I'd highly recommend checking it out if you end up visiting Independence Hall / the Liberty Bell.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby aueft » Tue May 14, 2019 10:50 pm

I didn't realize that Knoebels didn't offer passes during the weekends, and I'm thinking that I need to reverse some of the days due to the weird opening times that some of my target museums have, which would push Knoebels to Sunday. Luckily I'm not really a marathon rider, and the rides at Knoebels look surprisingly cheap, so I don't think that will cause problems for me.

If I go with this plan, I'll be able to take advantage of Extra Hours at Hersheypark (which unfortunately means I'll get hit by parking fees twice. Decisions, decisions...).

I'm not particularly a fan of history, so I'm kindof 50/50 on Liberty Bell / Independence Hall stuff. Yes, I realize that they are basically mandatory for tourists visiting Philadelphia.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat May 18, 2019 7:04 pm

The modified plan seems good to me. Go to the museums you're interested in. Philly has a lot of them, and all the ones I went to were great (Ben Franklin, Art, Mutter, Independence Hall, Liberty Bell). That's what I was into, so you go to what you're into and I think you'll enjoy it.

And seconded get a good steak. A good one. You're not going all the way to Philly so you can have a steak like you would get at an airport Charleys. Listen to Boldikus; he steered me to a good one.

Also seconded do Hershey preview and breakfast at Knoebels. If possible, get to Hershey about an hour before preview begins so you can do the factory tour ride at Chocolate World just outside the park entrance.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!