Switch to full style
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Post a reply

Re: TPR 2018 Coaster Poll Results!

Thu May 02, 2019 4:46 pm

My top 25:

Although, as I look at it now, there's already changes I would make. That's just how this goes.

I have to say I'm super impressed in how the results turned out. I think this method / algorithm works well.

Steel Vengeance RMC
Intimidator 305 Intamin
Twisted Colossus RMC
Skyrush Intamin
El Toro Intamin
Maverick Intamin
Twisted Timbers RMC
New Texas Giant RMC
Mako B&M
Voyage GG
Leviathan B&M
Mystic Timbers GCI
Millennium Force Intamin
Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts
Ravine Flyer II GG
Diamondback B&M
Superman the Ride Intamin
GhostRider CCI
Montu B&M
Tatsu B&M
Kumba B&M
Storm Runner
Manta B&M
Raptor B&M
Phantom's Revenge Morgan

Thu May 02, 2019 4:56 pm

The one that continues to surprise me is Soaring with Dragon. If I remember correctly, it would have ranked highly last year too if it had enough ridership. It just doesn't *look* like it has the makings of a top 10 steel coaster, but something about it must really work. I'd be very curious to hear more from someone on here who has ridden it.

Here's mine:

1. Skyrush (Hersheypark)
2. Steel Vengeance (Cedar Point)
3. Voyage (Holiday World
4. Expedition GeForce (Holiday Park)
5. Maverick (Cedar Point)
6. El Toro (Six Flags Great Adventure)
7. Medusa Steel Coaster (Six Flags Mexico)
8. Boulder Dash (Lake Compounce)
9. Fury 325 (Carowinds)
10. Superman The Ride (Six Flags New England)
11. Intimidator 305 (Kings Dominion
12. Millennium Force (Cedar Point)
13. Kumba (Busch Gardens Tampa)
14. Raptor (Cedar Point)
15. Wicked Cyclone (Six Flags New England)
16. Outlaw Run (Silver Dollar City)
17. Twisted Timbers (Kings Dominion)
18. Phantom's Revenge (Kennywood)
19. Magnum XL-200 (Cedar Point)
20. Ravine Flyer II (Waldameer Park)
21. Taron (Phantasialand)
22. Afterburn (Carowinds)
23. Legend (Holiday World)
24. Twister (Knoebels)
25. Schwur des Kärnan (Hansa Park)

Thu May 02, 2019 4:57 pm

cfc wrote:Bottom 10 (#1 is the worst)
1. Space Mountain: Mission 2 (Paris Disneyland)**

*I haven't ridden the version with the inversions.
**I haven't ridden this since 2008, but the memory is very evil (Disney had no business building a major coaster that's this bad).

Thankfully Disney fixed this with the new trains and it's really good now, but I have no doubt it would have been a disaster with the old OSTRs.

Thu May 02, 2019 5:12 pm

Because people have asked....

Top Coaster Rankings:
Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 8.09.51 PM.png

Bottom Coaster Rankings:
Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 8.10.36 PM.png

Thu May 02, 2019 5:29 pm

Here are mine...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 8.27.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 8.28.12 PM.png
VERY bottom
Last edited by SharkTums on Thu May 02, 2019 5:29 pm.

Thu May 02, 2019 6:31 pm

Everything looks accurate except the worst wooden... :shockr:

Thu May 02, 2019 6:46 pm

SharkTums wrote:Here are mine...

Just out of curiosity, what made you enjoy Kawasemi slightly more than Piraten?

Thu May 02, 2019 7:29 pm

Thanks for all the work put into this! It's interesting to see the results, can't wait for more! It'll also be interesting to see where some of these rank next year too. Really appreciate it guys!

Thu May 02, 2019 7:34 pm

coasterbill wrote:The only other thing that was weird to me was the placement of the Great America Grizzly. I'll never understand the utter hatred of this ride. It's forceless and uninteresting but it's smooth and not really offensive. People would really rather ride things like Predator, Hades 360, Mighty Canadian Minebuster, Wilde Beast and the countless other terrible wood coasters around the world (and a bunch of borderline kiddy coasters like Zach's Zoomer) than Grizzly? Really?

My feelings exactly... EXACTLY! I think there was a time some more dorky coaster enthusiasts (read: ACE Members) thought it was super cool or "funny" to rank Grizzly the worst in the world (I am probably guilty of doing this too at one point decades ago), but over the years I've just come to realize that it's not funny... it's actually very stupid... for all the reasons you said.

My gut feeling is that some people are voting based on "tradition" not actual real opinions or experience. Because, damn...I most certainly have been on a LOT more worse coasters than Grizzly!
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu May 02, 2019 7:35 pm.

Thu May 02, 2019 7:58 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:
JG-77 wrote:I'd like to post my rankings here, but I can't access them on the coaster poll website. I even navigated to my user profile and clicked "view entire rankings." Is this a known problem?

Go to account settings. There's an option at the bottom to make the rankings public. If you check that, you'll be able to access your own.

Thanks!

Here's my list, short enough that I can fit the whole thing here

1. Phoenix (Knoebels) PTC - My expectations were blown away by the pure bliss of this ride's air
1. El Toro (SFGAdv) Intamin
3. Skyrush (Hersheypark) Intamin - The painful restraints are made up for by the insanely intense layout and unbelievable ejector
4. Goliath (SFGAm) RMC
5. Twister (Knoebels) In-house - Front row night ride is awesome!
6. Storm Runner (Hersheypark) Intamin
7. Nitro (SFGAdv) B&M
8. Superman - Ride of Steel (SFA) Intamin - Ride in the front seat for great sensation of speed and very good air
9. Kingda Ka (SFGAdv) Intamin
10. Wild One (SFA) PTC - I have a soft spot for this one, very good air considering it's >100 years old
11. Fahrenheit (Hersheypark) Intamin
12. Batman The Ride (SFGAdv) B&M - This felt like it hauled a bit more than Great America's, but both are awesome
13. Batman The Ride (SFGAm) B&M
13. Viper (SFGAm) In-house
15. Batwing (SFA) Vekoma - This is a bit polarizing, but I've always been on the side that really liked Batwing for its fun layout and intensity
16. Joker's Jinx (SFA) Premier
16. X-Flight (SFGAm) B&M
18. Bizarro (SFGAdv) B&M
19. Flying Turns (Knoebles) In-house - Thoroughly enjoyed this despite its length
20. Great Bear (Hersheypark) B&M
20. Lightning Racer (Hersheypark) GCI
20. Raging Bull (SFGAm) B&M - I really wanted to love this ride, but even in the back I got little air, and the trims suck. The twister at the end was fun though, if a bit awkward
23. Superman - Ultimate Flight (SFGAdv) B&M - Pretzel Loop felt a bit more intense on this one, so it gets the edge
24. Superman - Ultimate Flight (SFGAm) B&M
25. Green Lantern (SFGAm) B&M - Okay let me explain. I totally see why people loathe this ride. It's painful, uncomfortable, and quite rough, and my calves felt like they were being pulled into the depths of hell. But holy crap is that layout great. It contains a lot of variety, and is IMO the most intense ride at the park (sorry Batman). So while I completely get the hate, I thought Green Lantern was a lot of fun. Sue me.
26. Impulse Zierer (Knoebels) Zierer
27. Vertical Velocity (SFGAm) Intamin
28. Demon Arrow (SFGAm) Arrow - Special shoutout to whoever told me to sit in the back!
29. Sidewinder (Hersheypark) Vekoma
30. Joker (SFGAm) S&S - This Joker one beats out Great Adventure's because I got more flips, though in retrospect these both should be quite a bit lower
31. Joker (SFGAdv) S&S
32. Roar (SFA) GCI
33. American Eagle (SFGAm) Intamin
34. Wildcat (Hersheypark) GCI - I think this ride is over-hated. It's nothing special, but at least from my front row rides, it's nothing awful. I was even able to get some weird pseudo-air on some of the transitions
35. Comet (Hersheypark) PTC - Another one I really wanted to like more. I sat near the back and had plenty of room, but I don't know if it was my seat, my posture, or if I just caught it on a bad day, but I got pretty much no air, and there wasn't much speed either. I hope to come back someday and give it another chance
36. Sooperdooperlooper (Hersheypark) Schwarzkopf
37. Skull Mountain (SFGAdv) Intamin - Probably should've put this above Sooper Dooper Looper
38. Black Diamond (Knoebels) PTC
38. Runaway Mine Train Arrow (SFGAdv) Arrow
40. Mind Eraser (SFA) Vekoma - I fulley expected this to be complete trash, and everyone here seems to hate it even more than Lantern but I actually (dare I say) enjoyed the one ride I got. Yes it was rough, and there was headbanging, but it has a good layout with decent forces, and the padding on the restraints made the headbanging not hurt as much as it might have. My biggest complaint is actually shoulder-banging: the restraints have these weird things near your shoulders that my shoulders kept hitting, which did give me a decent amount of pain.
41. Whizzer (SFGAm) Schwarzkopf - I feel kinda awful for putting this below Mind Eraser, but on my one ride, I spent half of it trying to figure out proper bracing so that my body wouldn't slam side to side on every turn. Once I got that down, it was fun, but not memorable. I definitely want to give this one another try, because I don't think it deserves this placement.
42. Dark Knight (SFGAdv) Mack - I actually enjoy all 3 of these mice at the bottom of this list quite a bit, its just that I liked most of the other coasters I rode more
42. Dark Knight (SFGAm) Mack
44. Ragin' Cajun (SFA) Zamperla - Not sure why I placed this here, when it spins a lot, I like this thing quite a bit more than Mind Eraser.
45. Apocalypse (SFA) B&M - Probably the only coaster on the list I actually don't really like that much. It's not really bad, but it's pretty boring. I hope Firebird can improve it!
Post a reply
MY LATEST VIDEOS