TPR 2018 Coaster Poll Results!

The world's best roller coasters, voted by TPR members!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: TPR 2018 Coaster Poll Results!

Postby cfc » Wed May 01, 2019 7:43 am

I prefer Twisted Timbers slightly over Steel Vengeance, because as much as I love the latter ride, it's almost "too much" (at least for me).

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed May 01, 2019 8:13 am

Awesome to see the results! I'm glad the Six Flags America SLC got the credit it deserves as the worst SLC.

All 5 top wooden coaster spots were taken by non-traditional woodies and that doesn't shock me one bit.

As for Twisted Timbers, I really like it, but it's in the middle of the RMCs for me. I'd put Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Twisted Cyclone, and the woodies above it. But then again they're all awesome and I'd be happy riding any.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Eiffel Tower & Nigloland

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby hoppedup » Wed May 01, 2019 8:17 am

boldikus wrote:^ :nina:

I just noticed how low Fury scored, that's a surprise.

I'm pretty sure it was #13 overall last time as well. Which is surprising considering it is in virtually every top 5 or 10 list I see here on TPR.

coasterbill wrote: The fact that Twisted Timbers is the #3 steel coaster in the world is nuts to me as is the crazy high placement of Twisted Cyclone. Both rides are awesome (like really awesome), but I was still surprised at how those placed.

Maybe it's just fresh in my memory, but I'd put Twisted Cyclone just behind Iron Rattler as my 2nd favorite RMC. Twisted Timbers would be last on that list, after Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, and New Texas Giant. And yes, Twisted Timbers is still really awesome, but #3?

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby JJLehto » Wed May 01, 2019 8:24 am

Awesome! Thanks again for the immense amount of work this requires.

Tough to argue with the top result :D
This also drives home I realllly need to get on Lightning Rod this year.

Agreed with Bill, the results are as expected and while I and many will have our own differences on exact placement within...those top 25s seem very sensible. Like ya said AJ there's prob hair width difference between a lot of em. A 30th ranked coaster for me may still be super fun that I love.
And I do agree, if a ride is forceless and boring I don't consider it bad...just meh. 5/10 (maybe 4 if its truly a waste) but for me a ride can only be bad when its detrimental. Not just boring and lame.
Superb work yet again yall.
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, I305, Maverick, Lightning Run, Superman (SFNE), Kumba
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Garet » Wed May 01, 2019 8:49 am

Our original plan for this year was to group any set of "roller coaster clones" (that's three or more installations of the same layout) into a singular result. Due to the overwhelming response, that did not happen. However! We do have the capability to do so retroactively and we will - all of the framework is there for us to do so. For now, the results will be displayed much like they were last year, with every coaster given an individual entry except for Intamin's collection of Mega Lite coasters. Because of this, the poll results were late in being made official - from now on, the poll will be conducted earlier in the calendar year.

Is this part of why mega-lites are listed at 25 on your post but not counted as part of the results this year? They are asterisked on the main poll site. Same with Space Mountain and some other rides like the Batman rides, is it a case of all cloned rides being asterisked?

Also not sure I can see last years poll but I could have sworn the mega lites placed higher last year, is that a result of putting them together or did they just fall from grace because of new rides or more voters, etc?

What was the cut-off for riders for some of the rides? I saw Draken on the poll with a number which surprised me since including myself I think i've only seen 1 or 2 other forum members mention riding it.

Postby Hilltopper39 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:04 am

The top spots aren't terribly surprising but I did find it kind of hilarious that Oscar's Wacky Taxi barley edged out The Beast and Thunderhead haha, The People have spoken!!

179. Oscars Wacky Taxi
180. The Beast
181. Thunderehead

I mean I haven't been on Wacky Taxi yet, it looks super fun but is a family wooden coaster really better than the Beast and Thunderhead? Who cares I guess since it's that far down the rankings but kind of funny.

Postby coasterbill » Wed May 01, 2019 9:10 am

I don't think it's that insane to put Oscar's Wacky Taxi ahead of the Beast. I didn't, but I totally get it. :lol:

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed May 01, 2019 9:19 am

I put Oscar's way ahead of the Beast. Oscar's is great all times of the day and has way more airtime than a park like Sesame Place should have. The Beast is only great at night.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Eiffel Tower & Nigloland

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed May 01, 2019 9:24 am

Hilltopper39 wrote:I mean I haven't been on Wacky Taxi yet, it looks super fun but is a family wooden coaster really better than the Beast and Thunderhead? Who cares I guess since it's that far down the rankings but kind of funny.

Wacky Taxi has a ridiculous amount of airtime for a family coaster. I probably rank it entirely too high but I don't care, that coaster is awesome.

Postby Hilltopper39 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:26 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:I put Oscar's way ahead of the Beast. Oscar's is great all times of the day and has way more airtime than a park like Sesame Place should have. The Beast is only great at night.

I kind of forgot how much some people dislike the Beast haha. Wacky Taxi looks like a ton of fun so hey thats all that matters.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!