Help with Canadian coaster trip.

Need some input on an upcoming trip
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Help with Canadian coaster trip.

Postby thrillrider » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:18 pm

So this summer we're planning a trip to Canada for the first time in over 15 years. The only Park we've ever hit in Canada is Canada's Wonderland.
So I figured it was about time we head back up north check out some coasters. Problem is, besides Canada's Wonderland I don't really know a lot about the other parks. Here's the potential list of parks we will be visiting in order.

Friday... leave work and start to head towards New York. Maybe stop by Cedar Point for a few hours.
Saturday... Darien Lake
Sunday... Sea Breeze half the day, marineland in the PM
Monday...Canadas wonderland
Tuesday....Canadas wonderland
Wednesday...Drive/ half day at la ronde
Thrs....La Ronde
Friday...great escape for half a day/drive
Saturday...drive Waldameer Park/Maybe cp
Sunday...Cedarpoint/home

Our home park is Cedar Point, and we will be starting out in Detroit. A few questions that we have are....

1. We have dining plans on both Six Flags and Cedar Fair passes. Will they work in the Canadian parks?
2. we're a little concerned about the language barrier at La Ronde. Do they speak English in those parts? I know silly question, but we've never been that deep into Canada before. The few videos that we've watched of the park seemed to be in another language.
3. Are there any other parks in the area with a decent coaster collection that we should check out?

I've heard a lot of negative things about La Ronde as far as operations and what not , but it's kind of along our route so I definitely want to check it out. I'll take any suggestions or help about that Park. =)

Also, looking for any input on decent hotels near the parks. We are budgeting roughly $100 per night for a hotel, so anything around that or lower.

Thanks for any input and help.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Re: Help with Canadian coaster trip.

Postby coasterbill » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:33 pm

Montreal is an awesome city and La Ronde is a horrific theme park. I strongly, strongly, strongly recommend spending some time in the city. I know you won’t be able to help yourself and you want to go to La Ronde and I get it but budget some time for the city itself. Don’t try to cram it all into one day because you won’t be able to since La Ronde is a full day park thanks to its terrible operations.

As for the language barrier, it’s a non issue. Everyone speaks fantastic English. It’s polite to say “bonjour” but when you do 99.9% of people will politely respond in English as the way you say it will probably let them know that you can’t actually speak French. If you want to learn some other phrases that will be helpful for your trip like “merci” and “Ce parc d'attractions est de la merde. Fais-moi sortir d'ici” you can but you won’t need them.

Dining plans work at La Ronde but I recommend leaving and eating in the city as the food is amazing.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby prospekt88 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:25 pm

I think you could save 4-5 hours in the car if you changed your route to a loop around Lake Eerie and Ontario; Detroit->Niagara->Toronto->Montreal->Lake George->Rochester->Waldameer->Detroit. I get you probably don't wanna do Wonderland on a weekend but a Sunday/Monday shouldn't be terrible. Do something like:

Friday: Drive to Niagara through Ontario
Saturday: Marineland/Niagara Falls
Sunday: Canada's Wonderland
Monday: Canada's Wonderland
Tuesday: Drive/Montreal/La Ronde
Wednesday: La Ronde
Thursday: Great Escape
Friday: Seabreeze/Darien Lake
Saturday: Waldameer
Sunday: Cedar Point

The way you currently have it you're going to basically drive right past Seabreeze and Darien Lake on your ride from Great Escape to Waldameer having already done those two parks. This route could be a more leisurely pace except for the one crowded Sunday at Canada's Wonderland. Just something to consider!

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby Sledgehammer_77 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:29 pm

There are no other parks other than those two for an above 14 year old expectation of roller coasters. I would go an enjoy the music scenes, food, breweries and beaches along the way. Of course depending on the month you plan on going.
1. Steel Vengance 2. Maverick 3. Behemoth 4. Leviathan 5. Millennium Force

Postby bert425 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:29 pm

as bill says, language is gonna be a non-issue.
Everyone speaks English as a 2nd (if not 1st) language.

only advice I can really give is on MarineLand - the place is HUGE.

Expect a lot of walking, and long stretches of dead space, where you'll be the only human. I would do my darnedest to get there as early as possible in the afternoon, just to make certain they don't decide to close early due to lack of customers.

that said? the long, LONG walk back to Dragon Mountain was well worth it - the coaster is a bizzare combo of OMG how fun, and WTF ? (the long stretch over the poop smelling buffalo fields falls into the WTF as do the long helixes inside the "mountain").

The bears back there over by Dragon Mountain are really cool too, and love to be fed.

The trek up to the drop tower is a killer, but will offer AMAZING views of Niagara Falls, if you ask to be in the seats facing them.

Most of the rides were running fun programs, and the animals are exhibited well (besides the Bears, there are tons of deer, Elk/Buffalo, lots of Beluga Whales (with underground viewing area) and an Orca. I wouldn't recommend wasting any time at the "aquarium". .it was pretty pathetic, tho the seals in there were fun to see.

We didn't bother with any shows when there, but there really was only 1 anyways - featuring dolphins, seals, and a walrus (otherwise not on display anywhere). . . but like I said, we didn't see it.

check out my Trip report from last may for lots of pics of the park. They were working on an expansion for "bird land". .but no idea if it opened or not.

have fun!
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby anonymouscactus » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:04 pm

coasterbill wrote: If you want to learn some other phrases that will be helpful for your trip like “merci” and “Ce parc d'attractions est de la merde. Fais-moi sortir d'ici” you can but you won’t need them.

lmao

Postby thrillrider » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:23 pm

Thanks for all the input so far.
Lots to consider.
Montreal could be a fun place to visit.
Being that we have kids, what are some interesting places to visit in the city?
Also, Thanks for the routing info. 5-6 hours less driving would be a great thing. I'll definitely look into that option as well.

Marineland sounds like an odd place, so maybe a half day wouldn't be enough. Looking on the Marineland website, I had to laugh. It's only an additional $5 to upgrade your one-day ticket into a season pass.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Intamin_coyote » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:35 pm

anonymouscactus wrote:
coasterbill wrote: If you want to learn some other phrases that will be helpful for your trip like “merci” and “Ce parc d'attractions est de la merde. Fais-moi sortir d'ici” you can but you won’t need them.

lmao

:lmao: I legit just looked those up on google translate. Well played :lmao:

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby anonymouscactus » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:37 pm

Don't forget to stop at the PFK! I don't know why I found it so funny when we passed it, but I think seeing that sign brought me more enjoyment than LaRonde did...

Postby bert425 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:37 pm

here's the page for Marineland on my TR from last year :)

you can see how huge it is. (yeah, the upgrade to season pass was like that a year ago. .also TONS of coupons to save a few bucks in the tourist guides at Niagara Falls - less than 5 minute drive from park.

https://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75980&start=40
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!