Ride Forces

A new app that tracks g forces on rides and coasters.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: Ride Forces

Postby Ccron10 » Tue May 14, 2019 12:19 am

jlp94 wrote:^ You were at Hersheypark and didn't think to use the app on the big rides?

I went to the park mainly to check out construction and go for a walk for an hour, maybe ride something or two, then head home to go to work. They only had a 5 minute wait and I was near them when I thought about trying the app out and everything had a longer wait than that I had time for.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby coasterlvr » Tue May 14, 2019 2:35 pm

did a quick run through Knott's today. the data seems a little less impressive today. also, i again cannot open the new rides transferred to the phone from my watch. but, the old rides still open up fine. so here are some watch screenshots.

fullsizeoutput_4158.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4159.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_415a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_415b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_415c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_415d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_415e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_415f.jpeg

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Tue May 14, 2019 4:57 pm

coasterlvr wrote:did a quick run through Knott's today.

Ha! I did the same thing today. The park was pretty quiet, but there was some tween convention taking place, so the shriek factor was kind of high. My ears are still ringing.

First time trying the app, but figured I'd give it a shot and report back the results. The phone app isn't working for me either (it just crashes and shuts down), so here are the watch screen grabs compiled. Some interesting results.
Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 4.45.13 PM.png
Knott's "Ride Forces" Results

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby coasterlvr » Tue May 14, 2019 6:30 pm

Arthur_Seaton wrote:
coasterlvr wrote:did a quick run through Knott's today.

Ha! I did the same thing today. The park was pretty quiet, but there was some tween convention taking place, so the shriek factor was kind of high. My ears are still ringing.

First time trying the app, but figured I'd give it a shot and report back the results. The phone app isn't working for me either (it just crashes and shuts down), so here are the watch screen grabs compiled. Some interesting results.
Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 4.45.13 PM.png

yeah, yours is kind of all over the place like mine. i dunno, maybe something got messed up with the recent update. my sfmm rides i thought were pretty good with few questionable data points.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby JG-77 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:11 pm

Any idea what the typical margin of error on this app is?
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby MiABeta » Thu May 16, 2019 7:10 pm

JG-77 wrote:Any idea what the typical margin of error on this app is?
Two years ago I downloaded this app called sensor play because it can measure G's as well and one issue is its a pain to define G's based on which direction the phone is facing, which produced some weird results. Its entirely possibly he figured out a good way to keep track of this and if that's the case it should be pretty accurate. I'm going to CP tomorrow and I'll analyze the app myself and see if I notice anything that hints at it's accuracy.

EDIT: As long as your phone or watch doesn't jostle too much it should actually be pretty accurate. It sounds like it calibrates based on the assumption that it figures out which direction is up in relation to the phone, and as long as the phone doesn't move too much it should be pretty accurate.
Top 5 Steel: Steel Vengance, Maverick, Millenium Force, Kraken, Montu
Top 5 Wood: Shivering Timbers, Blue Streak, Zach's Zoomer, Mean Streak, Wolverine Wildcat
Mean Streak: Never Forget - But Steel Vengeance might've stolen my heart.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby sdettling » Thu May 23, 2019 3:23 pm

Sorry I went MIA for a while. I'll give an update here about what's been going on with the app and try to answer some of the questions that were brought up.

First things first, during the Apple's app review process they determined that the app's use of the workout and heart rate features were not a valid use case because the app isn't primarily used for fitness. I tried to make my case but they ultimately decided those features needed to be removed. This means several features on the watch have been lost including inversions, hangtime, altitude and heart rate. I hope there is a way to bring them back at some point in the future which will depend on if Apple decides to open up these APIs for more use cases.

Thanks to everyone for their patience while I was working this out. The latest update should help prevent most of the crashes you were experiencing.

For those seeing weird data, MiABeta's explanation is quite accurate. The Apple Watch app attempts to calibrate the down direction a few seconds after you start the ride, which is then used to extract the force only along the vertical axis. You can edit this calibration point when you edit a ride on your phone. I hope to use similar calculations in the future to show lateral and longitudinal forces.

If your device moves around too much during the ride it can throw this off. In that case you can always disable vertical force calculation and view the forces from all 3 axis combined into one. This is still pretty accurate for positive forces but can't detect negative g's (but it can show zero-g or floater air).

As far as overall accuracy, the results seem pretty close to what I'd expect. I do apply filtering to the data to avoid spikes that occur especially on rougher rides.

Thanks everyone for trying out the app and for the feedback. I hope to keep making improvements.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Ride Forces

Postby joelwee » Fri May 24, 2019 7:20 am

I stopped by SFMM yesterday and tried the app out. I had my phone in my pocket, using a clip to secure it to my pocket so it didn’t jostle around.
It’s interesting that Revolution pulls higher G’s than Tatsu. Tatsu’s pretzel loop feels like it’s trying to flatten you. But maybe it’s the flying position that makes it feel more intense than in the sitting position.
Overall, this is a really cool app!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seat, don't fail me now!

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby I Like Theme Parks. » Fri May 24, 2019 10:11 am

^On Revolution there’s two quick spikes of positive g’s when you enter and exit what I think is the loop, and Tatsu’s loop holds positive g forces throughout the element. That might also make it feel more forceful. I’m beyond excited to start using the app.
Top 3 Parks: Knoebels, Dollywood, Cedar Point
Top 3 Steel Coasters: Steel Vengeance, Phantom's Revenge, Skyrush
Top 3 Wood Coasters: Voyage, Lightning Rod, El Toro
Top 3 Flat Rides: Knoebels Flyers, Zipper, It
185 coasters

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Mike240SX » Fri May 24, 2019 2:54 pm

sdettling wrote:First things first, during the Apple's app review process they determined that the app's use of the workout and heart rate features were not a valid use case because the app isn't primarily used for fitness. I tried to make my case but they ultimately decided those features needed to be removed. This means several features on the watch have been lost including inversions, hangtime, altitude and heart rate. I hope there is a way to bring them back at some point in the future which will depend on if Apple decides to open up these APIs for more use cases.

Just a suggestion, but Google doesn't have such nonsensical restrictions for Android, and even if they don't allow it on the store, you can always publish it independently.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 134
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!