Ride Forces

A new app that tracks g forces on rides and coasters.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Re: Ride Forces

Postby jlp94 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:48 pm

Is it only available for the iPhone?

By the way, I'd say Manta pulls 4.6 Gs in that pretzel loop because all humans weight is equal to 1 g, so you should add 1 to the 3.6.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby sdettling » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:17 pm

jlp94 wrote:Is it only available for the iPhone?

Yes only iPhone at the moment. An Android version would probably be possible but I don't have plans to work on that in the short term.

jlp94 wrote:By the way, I'd say Manta pulls 4.6 Gs in that pretzel loop because all humans weight is equal to 1 g, so you should add 1 to the 3.6.

The 1 g force of gravity is included in this calculation so 3.6 is the correct value. Acrobat, the clone of Manta at Nagashima Spa Land, lists the max g force of their ride at 4.09 g. So it's close but not quite the same. There are many variables that could account for discrepancies like this, such as what seat you're in (I was near the back on this ride, I think the middle might produce higher forces?), how fast the ride is running, rattle of the ride vehicle, and the calibration of equipment. I can't vouch for the complete accuracy of the accelerometers in our mobile devices but it should give a decent approximation.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby MisterBrow » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:02 pm

Can we get sdettling an automatic top level promotion from "I Guess Donkeys Are Okay"?

This will be so cool. I want make spreadsheets. Run these numbers against the coaster polls... compare numbers from different seats...

I straight off want the data from my hometown ROAR coaster and compare the numbers between summer, FF, and HITP. On hot days it is the last ride because it is soooo close to being great- snow on the ground it means rerides. What do the numbers say?

I would think you could sell this right to the parks. Give a rider a watch like Disney hands off the wait time lanyard. They would have data. If they displayed it enthusiasts would geek out. If we got to wear the watch OMG. Different than having a sensor on the train.
Meister Brau just wants a path from CC to SM at SFA, meal plan burrito, some shade, and a restroom back there.

2019- Macho Nacho CHECK Restroom by Super CHECK!
New wish: New trains on ME

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:15 pm

This is totally awesome. I love this kind of stuff. Definitely going to download this on my Apple Watch (although I do have the first generation one from 2015, and it's pretty slow... we'll see how that works).
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby 9Armgeddon4 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:20 pm

Downloaded.
I’m looking forward on using this at my home park this summer.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:34 pm

I LOVE this idea!! I’ve downloaded it, and can’t wait to use it soon! Thanks for all the hard work you put into this!
Bigger is not always better.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby SixFlagsAstroworld » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:14 pm

Amazing idea! I’d love to see people post results of the app here! I’m very curious how it looks on a shuttle coaster like Mr. Freeze!

Edit: actually I would like to see someone post what the chart looks like for a ride like Xcalibur at SFStL
Last edited by SixFlagsAstroworld on Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:21 pm.
Coaster Count: 108
Check out my latest project: Six Flags Cypress Adventures
HARD ROCK PARK Coming to Chaos Crafter 2019!!

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby JG-77 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:33 pm

coasterbill wrote:At first I wondered how you got that El Toro data in the past year or so and was going to suggest that you keep it on the down-low but then I remembered that Apple Watch was a thing. :lol:

Anyway, cool app!

I had that exact same thought process :lol:

This seems really cool, I wish I could get it, but apparently my 6s+ doesn't support motion tracking :cry:
Maybe you should put a note saying which phones it works for?
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby sdettling » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:35 am

JG-77 wrote:This seems really cool, I wish I could get it, but apparently my 6s+ doesn't support motion tracking :cry:
Maybe you should put a note saying which phones it works for?

Ah thanks for letting me know, I'll note this in the app and on the App Store listing. Apple's documentation wasn't very clear on this, it does appear that you'll need an iPhone 7 or newer to record rides on an iPhone. For those with older phones you could still pair an Apple Watch, if you have one, and use it that way.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby Yubstep101 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:00 pm

I saw Wonder Woman and I was very confused until I saw Six Flags Discovery Kingdom as the park, then it made sense.
Top 10: 1. Fury 325 2. Steel Vengance 3. El Toro 4. Intimidator 305 5. Lightning Rod 6. Twisted Timbers 7. Wicked Cyclone 8. Millennium Force 9. Kumba 10. Mystic Timbers

Coaster Count: 218

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!