TPR Coaster Poll Poll - IMPORTANT QUESTION PLEASE READ!!!

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!

What should this year's poll be called?

50%
50%

Total votes : 70

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Re: TPR Coaster Poll Poll - IMPORTANT QUESTION PLEASE READ!!

Postby Dombot » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:06 am

I went for 2018, since we're counting new-for-2018 rides but not new-for-2019 rides. We're counting rides in the 2018 season, not the 2019 season.

Seems like the 2019 option is gonna be the winner, but just thought I'd put my opinion in here.
1. Intimidator 305 2. Kumba 3. Twisted Timbers 4. Goliath (SFoG) 5. Mako
6. Twisted Cyclone 7. Alpengeist 8. Mine Blower 9. Montu 10. Incredible Hulk

"If you trip me I will crumble and fall because I am a poorly structured building" ~Carson King

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:01 am

cfc wrote:Our 2018 Annual Report is like that at work (comes out in spring 2019, but talks about 2018). I guess you could go with the "2018-1019 Coaster Poll." Other than that, I think "2019" might be best, being as last year's was just a "test run," anyway.

I voted for 2018 because of this. From a technical standpoint, the poll is ranking coaster experiences of rides that existed and operated in 2018.

I see the logic behind naming it the 2019 poll, but say 5 years from now you have 5 more polls all listed out 2018, 2019, 2020, etc. then the last one on the list would be the most recent, hopefully eliminating the confusion with it not being the most recent.

However, if it's labeled the 2019 poll and x coaster that opened in 2019 is not ranked on the poll, to a casual viewer it might beg questions about why that coaster didn't make the poll. Even though the poll might come out early in the year before many parks and new rides are even open, there will still be a chunk of people (e.g. GP) who won't see the poll until months from now. I've had FB friends share me coaster promo videos months or even years after the ride has opened. :roll:

In my opinion, the confusion of it not being the most recent can be resolved more easily and quickly for the average person (i.e. a Google search for TPR 2019 poll and nothing comes up) than the confusion of "zomg TPR didn't even rank Copperhead Strike WTF it's the best coaster EVAA!!" That's just my logic.

But, like Bill said, you can't really idiot-proof either choice. And any initial confusion either way would hopefully be solved by someone actually reading the results and putting 2 and 2 together. And if they don't, that's on them. So whatever you go with, I'm sure it's still going to be great!
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:46 pm

So here's some more food for thought....

If we did this for a number of years and had a list of clickable links for the coaster poll results...

2017 Poll Results
2018 Poll Results
2019 Poll Results
2020 Poll Results
2021 Poll Results
etc.....

If someone wanted to see the results from the year Steel Vengeance opened.... they'd click 2018 not 2019, right?

Hmmmm.....

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby jlp94 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:25 am

^ My reasoning exactly. I understand the position of those who choose 2019 to be the result but I think things would be simpler if we followed the same pattern.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Habreno » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:22 am

Have you filed your 2018 taxes or your 2019 taxes? (not actually asking, just making a point).

Call it the "Best Coasters in 2018"

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:36 am

Habreno wrote:Call it the "Best Coasters in 2018"

We already have a name for it. It's called the "20xx TPR Coaster Poll."

Hard Rock hyyyper

Postby hyyyper » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:47 am

robbalvey wrote:So here's some more food for thought....

If we did this for a number of years and had a list of clickable links for the coaster poll results...

2017 Poll Results
2018 Poll Results
2019 Poll Results
2020 Poll Results
2021 Poll Results
etc.....

If someone wanted to see the results from the year Steel Vengeance opened.... they'd click 2018 not 2019, right?

Hmmmm.....

These are my thoughts on this as well. However, as you also pointed out, handing out a 2018 award when you're well in 2019 might not get the right exposure.

I don't know how flexible you are into moving the poll to an earlier time (say November or thereabouts). The big summer and Halloween peaks are over so everybody has had the time to ride new additions, and it's still in the same calendar year.

The downside might be that come November, lot's of websites and organisations are making end-of-year lists, so I don't know if that's desirable.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Intamin_coyote » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:17 am

My reply to this would be, while people looking for where SV ranks would most certainly click on 2018 and that would cause some initial confusiion, its not every year that something like SV opens. (but then again now will there be Gwazi for 2020, and at the rate RMC's going, it seems they could be building a top #25 finisher fairly often :lol: )

Or at least, looking from a longer-term perspective, perhaps the top 25s will "settle" for the most part.

Consider this...

Top 25 steel:

1. Medusa Steel Coaster - Six Flags Mexico
2. Maverick - Cedar Point
3. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park
4. Intimidator 305 - Kings Dominion
5. Helix - Liseberg
6† Mega-Lite/Kawasemi/Fly Over Mediterranean/Piraten
7. Skyrush - Hersheypark
8. Millennium Force - Cedar Point
9. Storm Chaser - Kentucky Kingdom
10. Fury 325 - Carowinds
11. Twisted Colossus - Six Flags Magic Mountain
12. New Texas Giant - Six Flags Over Texas
13. Superman the Ride - Six Flags New England
14. Taron - Phantasialand
15. Shambhala - PortAventura Park
16. iSpeed - Mirabilandia
17. Wicked Cyclone - Six Flags New England
18. Goliath - Walibi Holland
19. Iron Rattler - Six Flags Fiesta Texas
20. Flying Dinosaur - Universal Studios Japan
21. Katun - Mirabilandia
22. Nemesis - Alton Towers
23. Lightning Run - Kentucky Kingdom
24. Lost Gravity - Walibi Holland
25. Top Thrill Dragster - Cedar Point

Top 25 wood:

1. El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
2. Lightning Rod - Dollywood
3. Wildfire - Kolmården
4. Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City
5. Phoenix - Knoebels Amusement Park and Resort
6. Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce
7. Balder - Liseberg
8. Coaster - Playland (at the PNE)
9. Voyage - Holiday World
10. Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer Water World
11. Goliath - Six Flags Great America
12. Gold Striker - California's Great America
13. Mystic Timbers - Kings Island
14. Wooden Coaster Fireball - Happy Valley Shanghai
15. Mine Blower - Fun Spot America Kissimmee
16. Shivering Timbers - Michigan's Adventure
17. Prowler - Worlds Of Fun
18. Troy - Toverland
19. Renegade - Valleyfair!
20. Thunderbird - PowerLand
21. Raven - Holiday World
22. Tremors - Silverwood Theme Park
23. Twister - Gröna Lund
24. Beast - Kings Island
25. Thunderhead - Dollywood

These were the results from last year. Of these the only ones that debuted in 2017 were Mystic Timbers and Mine Blower (I could be wrong, correct me if I am).

But at the same time, a decent number of these rides did debut rather recently somewhere between 2014-2016. So if the polls were done over those years, then that probably would have caused confusion.

As was mentioned above, could we perhaps move when the results are conducted and released to maybe late in the year (and then name after said year)? Like Golden Tickets but later (November maybe?) Then there would be the whole month of December for the poll results to be cited/circulated with the matching year. My 2cents for the moment...

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:10 pm

hyyyper wrote:I don't know how flexible you are into moving the poll to an earlier time (say November or thereabouts).

Absoultely not! Case in point. I rode this for my first time during the month of December (December 23rd, I believe) and it would absoultely change the way I rank things:

It makes less sense to me to have a "2018 poll" where the cut off is two or three months before 2018 ends than it does for me to have a 2019 poll that only featured 2018 coasters.
Last edited by robbalvey on Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:11 pm.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Intamin_coyote » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:39 pm

Fair point.

We do, after all want this poll to be representative of all parks as much as possible, many of which are open year-round, and may have new rides open at any time during the year.

(Much unlike Golden Tickets releasing their results as early as September, which only further shows their bias toward seasonal North American parks. :lol: )

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!