TPR Coaster Poll Poll - IMPORTANT QUESTION PLEASE READ!!!

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!

What should this year's poll be called?

50%
50%

Total votes : 70

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: TPR Coaster Poll Poll - IMPORTANT QUESTION PLEASE READ!!

Postby JG-77 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:10 pm

I think it should be 2019 for several reasons, but the main reason for me is that since it was conducted in early 2019, some of people's rankings were based on rides they took during 2019, meaning the poll isn't strictly limited to 2018 or earlier experiences.

Am I making sense?
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:12 pm

I prefer 2018 since the rides in the poll are from the 2018 season and before, but ultimately I care more that there's a good coaster poll.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:27 pm

JG-77 wrote:some of people's rankings were based on rides they took during 2019, meaning the poll isn't strictly limited to 2018 or earlier experiences.

But that would be a VERY small percentage considering most parks aren't open in January and the poll doesn't include any 2019 coasters. Even if we called it the '2019 TPR Coaster Poll" we would not say it was based on rides taken in 2019 because that would be mostly false information.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Intamin_coyote » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:52 pm

Ugh. This really such a tough choice.

Its like when differentiating between (insert year) Super Bowl (played in that year), or Super Bowl following the (insert year) season.

Can't go wrong with either, but I do believe you can go more right with one of them... (which I'm still trying to decide myself :?r )

PS. Bit of a longshot here and I'm pretty much joking, but it would be kinda cool and epic if each yearly poll was represented by roman numerals like the Super Bowl is. :lol:

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:28 pm

My vote is for 2019.

This makes sure there is no ambiguity as to which poll is the latest one, which IMO is more important than properly representing the year of the latest coasters included in the poll. Often times the latest coasters may not even appear in the "top" lists (2018 is likely an exception due to Steel Vengeance), so this is the lesser of two evils when compared to "Announcing the TPR 2018 Coaster Poll!" in... Spring of 2019.

Just my two cents. I see the pros and cons for both though.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Postby coasterbill » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:42 am

robbalvey wrote:I don't disagree with you (and secretly side with you on this if I was forced to choose) but here's my Devil's Advocate rebuttal...

Had we called the 2017 poll the 2018 poll and people who searched for the results and found them towards the end of 2018, people would have instantly said "Where's Steel Vengeance?" (Because people are idiots and don't read.)

Go with your gut. If you go with the other option simply because you're trying to avoid idiotic comments you're just going to end up with the option that you don't like as much but still tons of idiotic comments from people wondering when the 2019 poll is coming out since it's 2019.

How many years have you spent trying to idiot-proof everything on TPR and the socials? How is that working out for you? :lol:

Give up and go with the one that you like. I'm leaning towards the same option since people will read the title and immediately know that it's fresh content (which makes them more likely to check out the list regardless of what platform it's on).
Last edited by coasterbill on Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:50 am.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Garet » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:47 am

I voted 2019 because of the habits I have. I don't watch the Oscars and I know they are last years films but my fingers just automatically type this year when I search for them and that's before your picture reminded me that they are named after the airing year, not the movies. I think I'm the same when I want to see the results of other awards as well.

I think I do that for a lot of things, in the TEA example, I think the only reason I don't see the wrong year is that it's here in the TPR forum. I think if I want to see some awards results and just quickly open google, I'm going to automatically type the current year into the search bar subconsciously with the name.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:19 am

Our 2018 Annual Report is like that at work (comes out in spring 2019, but talks about 2018). I guess you could go with the "2018-1019 Coaster Poll." Other than that, I think "2019" might be best, being as last year's was just a "test run," anyway.

Postby Hilltopper39 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:37 am

I know it's not a poll option but have you considered some kind of "2018/19" or "2018-19" listing? I'm pretty sure some sports leagues that overlap the calendar year list some results and data as the 2017/2018 season etc.

I voted for 19, but I guess in my mind 2018/19 covers both the year the poll was tabulated for and the the year the results are reported in. Just a thought that I thought I'd throw out there.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Intamin_coyote » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:48 am

Ive made up my mind 2019 it is...

Another sports analogy but I believe most NBA and NHL teams use just the year in which the championship was won on their title banners(with a few exceptions) rather than the years the season spanned. And I like it much better that way.

98 Bulls rolls off the tongue a lot better than 2017-2018 Warriors. :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!