Battle of the SoCal Theme Parks!

Which SoCal park is the best? Let's find out!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can I park my donkey here?

Re: Battle of the SoCal Theme Parks!

Postby Jelenp » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:50 am

I've been to all 6 but Seaworld and Disney I haven't been since some of their newest additions.
1. Knott's: Love all their coasters, theming, food, and pretty much everything else this park has to offer.
2. Magic Mountain: Pretty great coasters all around but not much else. Was prettier than the average Six flags but it really has little to no theming especially when compared to the other parks.
3. Disneyland and California's Adventure: I'm not really the best audience for this park but still appreciated it for its thrill rides when I went (Tower of Terror, California Screamin, Matterhorn, and MotorSprings). I still prefer pretty much any Disney World park to either of them though and I also like most of the Disneyworld parks more than MM.
4. Legoland: When I went as a kid I loved this park. When I went again I still loved it. Sure it doesn't have many thrills but I always loved the Miniland and Lego-themed attractions. Definitely not for everyone and not a full day park but it is special to me.
5. Seaworld: I haven't been since Electric Eel but I always liked the landscaping and the two thrill coasters they have.
6. Universal: This place is much more geared towards film production and the studio tour than rides. The rides here aren't bad for say but most are clones or are very out-dated compared to the Florida park.
Last edited by Jelenp on Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:58 am.
Top 5: 1. Storm Chaser 2. Steel Vengeance 3. Lightning Rod 4. X2 5. Maverick
Coaster Count: 130
I <3 Dollywood

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:33 pm

Griffith Park is my #1. I've heard of it but I've never been there. I think it's been mentioned in movies or something, so it has to be great. #1 best SoCal park.

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:13 pm

The wonderful thing about Southern California is there is a park for everyone's taste. You want tons of awesome coasters? Six Flags. Amazing, immersive atmosphere with excellent operations and loads of magic? Disney. A little bit of both? Knott's.

Not to mention Universal if you like screens and Harry Potter, Seaworld if you like the ocean and animals (and now coasters as well, given where they're headed), Legoland for the littler ones, and an assortment of small parks and FECs. I think ranking all of these parks against each other is completely unfair.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

I Love Donkeys!

Postby RoxasBraveheart » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:28 pm

robbalvey wrote:
RoxasBraveheart wrote:3. Knott's Berry Farm - To be honest, I haven't been here yet, but the connection of coasters and theming looks very fun.

A park you've never been to is #3 on your list?

I'm trying really hard not to come out and say how insanely stupid that is, but I'll refrain from staying how insanely stupid that is because it may be insulting if I say how insanely stupid that is. So I'll be polite and won't say it.

Sorry, I should've phrased it better. From what I've seen of said park through TRs and media reports, it looks great. Quick note as well - some of these parks I haven't been to in years, but I added them just to be thorough. If my list seems skewed, it's just because of time and memory loss :?r which is why I felt I would be able to place Knott's on there.
coasterbill wrote:
RoxasBraveheart wrote:The Harry Potter land was really cool, but we all know that was J.K. Rowling's land, not Universal's.

This just makes my head hurt. Not only is the statement ridiculous but (ignoring that for a minute) who walks into a theme park land and decides how much they enjoy it based on who initially designed it? Who cares?

Be honest, you've never been to this park either have you?

Again, phrasing issue. My original intent was that the land was so well-designed that I felt a sort of culture shock when I walked into it - almost as if I had gone into a whole other park. Other than that, the land was amazing.
Keep on thrilling, TPR! :)
Power to the Coasters main blog: powertothecoasters.netlify.com

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:40 pm

RoxasBraveheart wrote:3. Knott's Berry Farm - To be honest, I haven't been here yet

RoxasBraveheart wrote:some of these parks I haven't been to in years

So basically what you're saying is that you really lack any experience at all to be ranking the collection of parks that Southern California has to offer?
:lmao: :lol:
Last edited by robbalvey on Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:39 am.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby RoxasBraveheart » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:57 am

Yeah. I just wanted to start a discussion, but I failed. :lmao: :lol: :lmao: I should probably stick to just writing trip reports once I hit some of the parks again.
Keep on thrilling, TPR! :)
Power to the Coasters main blog: powertothecoasters.netlify.com

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby SoCalJasonland » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:08 pm

My Top 10 rankings for 2019 are:
1. Disneyland
2 Knotts
3. SFMM
4. DCA
5. Seaworld
6. Legoland
7. Santa Monica Pier
8. Any of the fairs that show up each year
9. Staying home and playing an old copy of RCT
10. Castle Park
I love to roam where the wild things are.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby jlp94 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:33 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Griffith Park is my #1. I've heard of it but I've never been there. I think it's been mentioned in movies or something, so it has to be great. #1 best SoCal park.

LOL! Win!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:19 pm

I personally enjoyed La Brea Tar Pits Park.

Actually, I'm quite stuck on it. :wink:
LaBreaTarPit.jpg
Be witness, to the actual birth, of an exciting La Brea Tar Pit.....gas bubble. (o;
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:02 pm

jlp94 wrote:
ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Griffith Park is my #1. I've heard of it but I've never been there. I think it's been mentioned in movies or something, so it has to be great. #1 best SoCal park.

LOL! Win!

And it's all true! I've really never been there!

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!