2019 Adventures Photo TR

Six Flags New England Added!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Re: 2019 Adventures Photo TR

Postby Anything » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:28 pm

Great photo report and commentary! Does not look too busy.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Condor » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:57 pm

Good analysis on the rides and great photos! I haven't been to KK since before Storm Chaser was built and I'll hopefully be going back next year.

It's so odd how they run two trains on Storm Chaser but only one on Lightning Run when the latter seems to pull bigger crowds due to its placement. It's possible the extra capacity on SC alone explains the difference, but then why not do the same on LR?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:24 pm

really great report and pics.

Lightning Run certainly looks like a ton of fun.
Storm Chaser looks so naked tho. . surprised there's not more landscaping around it.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:06 pm

^Storm Chaser definitely gets the "ugliest RMC" vote, as it also has a steel support structure, much of which is pretty old and rusty-looking. The ride, though, definitely not ugly at all

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:40 am

Welcome and thank you for taking the click-bait! Did you think I was serious that they should RMC Voyage? Of course I was, and they really should.

So, obviously, the next place I went was,

Holiday World

At risk of everybody pounding away at their keyboards for my blasphemy, I'm actually going to offer a somewhat critical opinion in this report. Of course, Holiday World is an outstanding park with Disney-level hospitality, great food, incredible atmosphere, and with free parking, soda, and sunscreen to boot.

But, let's be honest with ourselves, we don't go out to rural southwestern Indiana for free soda and sunscreen. We go for a park that is known for it's legendary wood coasters. Sadly, none of these wood coasters are in great shape right now. This was my first visit since 2016, and while there were definitely some rough spots on Raven and Legend back then, both of these coasters have gotten much worse. I've read this online and didn't want to believe it to be true, but it is.

The Voyage is another story entirely. I actually really mean it when I say they should RMC it. Maybe not turn it into a steel RMC (though I really wouldn't complain), but I'd love it if they did something like tear all the track out and replace it with topper track, then convert to run RMC trains. I know this would require all new ride systems and all that, but it'd honestly be worth it. It really does have a brilliant layout, but the combination of awful rough Gravity Group track combined with PTC trains just makes it a giant pile of sh*t. Sorry not sorry!

I love Holiday World as a park. But unless they were getting something new or it were to be reported that they were doing some significant re-tracking and TLC to the wood coasters, I likely won't go out of my way again any time soon. If I was doing the same trip to Louisville again, I’d likely go north to Kings Island instead.
D65059AC-3599-4421-B72E-06EF953C0B1E.jpeg
Welcome to Indiana, the state that gave us Mike Pence. Hopefully someday they’ll apologize for that.
8DD1FA4C-82AC-41FF-9F68-B1F1B36E940A.jpeg
Walking up to the Holiday World entrance, you’re greeted by what is, or should be, a world-class coaster. I personally love the coaster and think it’s the best at Holiday World, I just wish it could still be enjoyed without being jackhammered to death.
1E4060D6-03D3-4880-8382-970961F57ACA.jpeg
Welcome to The Legend! Cool layout, great setting, and just an all-around beautiful ride...except again, you’re jackhammered to death and there’s one long turn that seems like it’s never going to end while you get smashed into the seat divider like 26 times
F2F29540-B5AF-4F0B-9855-CE850D6CB506.jpeg
Just look how beautiful the setting for this ride is!
6EFF0D0A-8E3F-4548-9296-0A2025857124.jpeg
Happy thanksgiving!!!
B18A7B89-A8E7-4B06-822C-F37B200F3139.jpeg
Sooo many enthusiasts swear by this ride. Every time I’ve been to the park I always *want* to love Voyage.
A7DAF63C-FAB7-4D1B-A0B7-18F38B709462.jpeg
It’s tall, it’s beautiful...but I’m sorry, it just sucks. PTC trains and Gravity Group’s washboard track have no business going this fast at all
637D4395-6277-4519-9820-9133B19A448F.jpeg
This huge drop is so awesome. It’s the best part of the ride before the pain and suffering begins.

I subjected myself to a few rides in both the front and back of the train. The double-down in the dark is the best and most OMG part of the ride, and if this coaster was bearable I’d love it.

I’m not a wood coaster p*ssy either. I love coasters that others find rough, such as Boardwalk Bullet. But Voyage jackhammers, has fast laterals that just slam you into the sides of the train and seat dividers over and over, and even the lap bars beat you up. Every time I rode I was just begging it to end.
CF87D9A1-E0D2-41CB-851F-F25EF7EA6877.jpeg
Another thing I didn’t understand whatsoever is how enthusiasts compare these large hills to El Toro’s large hills. El Toro has ejector airtime at the top of its large hills. Voyage doesn’t even have floater. Maybe people count the “bump” at the top of this hill where you can watch the car in front of you violently skew to a weird angle from the track being mis-aligned?

I can’t imagine riding this thing without trims. That has to hurt so f*cking bad.
B7A667C6-10E9-4954-9E8B-5C38195F848E.jpeg
This spot is undeniably awesome with the Thunderbird head chopper.

Imagine doing an abrupt airtime hill into a low-ground inversion right here on Steel Voyage! Or Twisted Mayflower. Or Iron Pilgrim.
ADCD2E29-ACD0-4FFC-A265-51ED73F2C734.jpeg
Speaking of Thunderbird, it’s still pretty rad. If there’s one coaster worth visiting Holiday World for, it’s this one.
95327A13-030B-4839-9718-91601BDA8D7C.jpeg
It begins with a surprisingly forceful and sudden launch, right into this floaty inversion
58C5B715-33DB-4392-A9CE-3E47968EEC3D.jpeg
Going through a vertical loop while riding a wing is great! Tbh, it’s better than a keyhole or slow roll inversion
E682AC8E-078F-4747-B7A7-A5F5FA1DF21E.jpeg
They definitely have awesome food. Thanksgiving turkey in June at a theme park! Ok, I’d gladly come back for this
004CE67A-14AC-4905-871E-663587B3B3D8.jpeg
After doing another lap of the park, I made one last lap on Raven, which is a coaster I really love, especially for the surprise large drop into the trees. If I could enjoy it without constantly bracing, this would be top ten wood material for me.
A5418C97-DC6B-4A77-A7CC-F43C7321C5DC.jpeg
Raven is complete with a “Batman the Ride” entrance tunnel
3277798A-3EB0-4162-84EC-5BAF8459CD92.jpeg
And I’ll end with a photo of the beautiful entrance area buildings. Holiday world is beautiful, scenic, and a great experience. Just please fix the woodies.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:16 am

Another great report! It's a shame HW's great wooden coasters can go downhill so quickly, but we all know they take care of them as much as they can. Initially I thought RMC'ing Voyage was blasphemous, but honestly look at what HW has done to try and improve the experience - Timberliners tried and failed, added trims, constant maintenance. RMC'ing would be a one time fix, right? Other than normal upkeep. Voyage is so good when it's tolerable, and I've been lucky to only have great rides on it, but I know that's not the case for many others.
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:21 am

Great report!

I thought Voyage was running fantastic during Holiwood Nights. Most people seemed to think it was running the best it has in years. I've never found it to be too rough, but I can certainly see how people could find it rough. Then again I ride Boulder Dash a ton and apparently that ride is rough too.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Funtown U.S.A. & Palace Playland

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby grsupercity » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:08 pm

I really really wanted to love Voyage. Watching it be built and everyone calling it a bigger badder Shivering Timbers. I liked parts of it. It has a great layout. Sadly I found it rougher then Boss at SFSTL. I love intense rides. I like rough rides. I love fast rides. I love long rides. Sadly I did not completely love an intense rough fast long monster of a ride called Voyage. The drop, the outward overbank and the double down were great though!
After riding Lightning Run I can not understand why parks are not lining up to buy some Hyper GTX models. That little ride rocks

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:24 pm

^^I'm also a big Boulder Dash fan as well, and while I haven't been on it since maybe 2015 or 2016, I've always found it to be a great ride and mostly tolerable, save for maybe a few spots.

I really, really wanted to love Voyage as well. I was really looking forward to riding it on this trip, especially after experiencing the brutal spots on El Toro a couple of weeks ago. I thought, "since El Toro has these killer spots, how bad can Voyage be?", then realized why you should never ask yourself that question.

After visiting Holiday World, I feel like everything at El Toro is a-okay.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Intamin_coyote » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:07 pm

Sorry to hear that the woodies weren't running well. A shame to hear bad things about them, especially considering they just did so much retracking on Voyage (and hadn't Legend somewhat recently been worked on too - GCI?). I feel like that is damning proof that unfortunately HW will never be able to win over everyone with those. It seems like there are very few people that walk away from this park liking all three. Usually not more than 2 out of 3. Either they hate Raven, Legend but love Voyage, or hate Voyage but like Legend and/or Raven, or don't like any of them at all.

For me I'm a fan of Voyage and Legend, but Raven I've always just to be quite underwhelming, with short and rather uneventful layout...

As for what I think about the thought of Voyage going RMC. Don't get me wrong. That would probably amazing, and if there's anything that would have immediate chance of topping Steel Vengeance, that would be it. But similar to the Beast, retracking 6600-7400 ft of track to make a still very popular ride better (as opposed to an unpopular ride better), for obvious reasons just wouldn't be worth it.

They'd be better off either building something new altogether (or Rmcing one of the other woodies)

On that note, I personally disagree with HW being just about iconic wooden coasters. For me, thats only half the reason I go- the other half being the waterpark. Splashin Safari imo is worth the price of admission alone so even when the woodies aren't running well, there is that to fall back on. You haven't been to Holiday World without a trip on either Mammoth or Wildebeest!

But anyways great report though, and glad to hear you at least enjoyed the food and Thunderbird.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!