2019 Adventures Photo TR

Holiday World Now Added - Please RMC Voyage ASAP!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: 2019 Adventures Photo TR

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:44 pm

xVicesAndVirtues wrote:Okay, so maybe not everywhere on the entire coaster, but there are three spots on the coaster where the roughness and violence is so severe that I can't believe it's about to run an entire season like this. Namely, the turnaround, the "floater hill", and especially coming out of the Rolling Thunder hill.

I was a little surprised by this when I rode it a few years ago as well. It wasn't horribly violent, but it was anything but smooth — at least on the turnaround. Fun ride (I got a good 10+ rides in), but it wasn't my favorite at the park as Nitro unexpectedly took that crown.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:02 pm

^I ride it every year and that spot was jarring last September, but it was downright brutal this June.

bert425 wrote:
PKI Jizzman wrote:I think I'm the only TPR member who hasn't been to Great Adventure. Thank you for the reminder to get my ass out to Jersey.

I haven't been either! so love reading the reports. .thanks for sharing.

How long was the drive from Dorney to Great Adventure?

I had absolutely no idea it was so close that you could leave Dorney and still spend a good chunk of time at SFGA. . .otherwise during our trip thru Penn. a few years ago (where we ended with a few days in Philly), we would have made an effort to go to SFGA :(

but yeah. .gotta get to SFGA.

You guys who haven't been should absolutely go! Like others have said, its about an hour and a half, sometimes even less. If you were in Philadelphia you were only about 30 minutes from the park.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby cparkes92 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:29 pm

PKI Jizzman wrote:I think I'm the only TPR member who hasn't been to Great Adventure. Thank you for the reminder to get my ass out to Jersey.

I've never been to SFGAdv (or New Jersey for that matter)
Top 10 steel: Steel Vengeance, Millennium Force, Maverick, Mako, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, SheiKra, Montu
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Blue Streak (CP), Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:21 pm

Continuing my trend this spring/early summer for the solo mini-trips, I caught a cheap flight, this time on Allegiant and without any delays or issues, out of Orlando-Sanford International straight to Trump Country. Oh yeah, I was going to hit up,

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom

I last visited the park in 2016 when Storm Chaser was brand new. I enjoyed the park then and the park has continued to improve and grow since. It's really impressive that the park is now independently owned yet adds rides and attractions as frequently as a park owned by a major chain. Honestly, if the park were still under the Six Flags chain, I highly doubt they'd be adding/replacing rides this frequently at all. It really shows the commitment that Ed Hart and his team really have to this park, and when visiting the park this is clear as well.

I actually learned a lot about this park before/during this visit. For some reason I wandered to the Wiki page on the park and read a bunch of articles about it. For one, I knew I'd been on a former SFKK coaster, Chang, which now resides at Six Flags Great Adventure as Green Lantern. I also thought that the coaster was removed as part of the Six Flags break-up, but it was actually earmarked for removal a year prior for a water park expansion. Also, I had no idea that two of Six Flags New England's coasters that I've also been on, Flashback and Gotham City Gauntlet, also came from SFKK. The more you know! Regardless, this park has had a storied history and I hope the success and expansion can continue for years to come.
001.jpg
Upon parking, presented in front of you in all it's electric blue glory, is Lightning Run.

Now, for all you size queens out there, this coaster is exactly 100 feet tall, but you wouldn't know it. It's kind of like they just kept riding the ending of Phantom's Revenge over and over, and said "can you make this an entire coaster?"
003.jpg
This visit actually took place over the course of two days, with Holiday World sandwiched in-between, but more on that later. I came up with a weird split-visit strategy that actually paid off quite well.

This photo was taken on Saturday around noon, and the park was was more crowded than I expected it to be, but it made me happy to see that this park is popular!
002.jpg
Kentucky Kingdom and Hurricane Har...Bay.

This park sure has some interesting weather fetish that I'd like to know more about. It's about all they name sh*t after.
004.jpg
Lightning Run's entrance on Friday
005.jpg
Lightning Run's entrance on Saturday. They only ran one train both days I was there, with one sitting on the transfer track. Needless to say, I skipped it on Saturday.
006.jpg
The train for this coaster almost seems comically too big for it's own lift hill.

I have a question for those of you who know way too much about very specific things- I noticed this time around that Lightning Run's train interiors, namely the seat cushions, backs, and restraints, all look strikingly similar to those used on RMC trains. Is there some shared parts/familiarity here?
007.jpg
Lightning Run through, well...the trees.
008.jpg
An overview look at Lightning Run before we move on. Lightning Run is very good and I highly recommend going to Kentucky Kingdom to ride it! It's small but extremely fast with airtime usually found on large hypercoasters.
009.jpg
New for 2019, Kentucky Kingdom pranked everyone saying they built a new wood coaster, when really all they got was a swing ride! lollllll
010.jpg
But surely, it wouldn't be safe to twirl you around a tower in Timberliner cars attached to a bit of chain, would it?
011.jpg
In all reality, they just want you to take the scenic route past the swing ride in order to find the coaster entrance. Now, I'd be extremely confused if I was really trying to find the swing ride and ended up at this coaster instead, but as I don't like swing rides, that really isn't my problem.
012.jpg
This was the only other photo I got of Kentucky Flyer.

The coaster is a cool "kid's first coaster", but otherwise is really nothing memorable or worth going out of your way for. There's a few little pops of air here and there, but I think GCI makes a way better junior woodie with something like White Lightning at Fun Spot.

Oh, I remember one thing about it- like Mine Blower in Kissimmee, even when brand new, these coasters have a weird roughness to them, which I'm not sure is going to age very well. Maybe the word "rough" isn't appropriate right now, more like...coarse. There's just a weird grinding to them, and Mine Blower was exactly the same when it was new, and I haven't been on it again since.

I know people seem to really heap praise on these small Gravity Group woodies, but I personally just find this unacceptable. The competition has figured out ways to really smooth out wood coasters. I feel like Gravity Group is stuck in the early 90s, still making old CCIs.
013.jpg
The line for this POS was longer both days than for Storm Chaser, which just blows my mind.

Then again, Trump won Kentucky by 30 points, so there's that.
014.jpg
I don't have the "credit" for this, because f*ck. that.
015.jpg
Continuing the weather theme, the park also has Thunder Run, an older Dinn Corp woodie. It's also pretty forgettable, but they take good care of it
016.jpg
Continuing the long walk back to Storm Chaser, you walk past evidence of the park's Six Flags past with this generic big shoot-the-chutes ride, complete with splash-down pool to ensure all riders come down with Ebola.
017.jpg
As only the strong make it in this long walk of hot, humid, and stagnant Kentucky air, you're essentially guaranteed a short line for this fantastic RMC.
018.jpg
Serving up contrast realness with the bright neon trains and red track
019.jpg
And. This. Ride. Delivers.

This hill is one of the single best moments on any RMC out there. There are certain elements that different RMCs have that make them memorable, like Iron Rattler's cliff dive, Steel Vengeance's double inversion, Wicked Cyclone's nah-inversion, this is Storm Chaser's. This sustained ejector airtime hill kicks a$$
020.jpg
Storm Chaser also sports these low-ground roll inversions that are as quick and snappy as an old B&M corkscrew
021.jpg
This is the most WTF moment on the coaster. I almost don't like this spot, but it's crazy unique. It's like a double-down with a directional change in the middle, plus you go up before the second down...if that makes sense. If you had something in front of your face on this element, you'd smash your nose into it.
022.jpg
The following few photos are just going to speak for themselves
023.jpg
024.jpg
025.jpg
Ride smart- don't vote for Trump again!
026.jpg
Of course, I'm going to compare Storm Chaser to Twisted Timbers. It was the OG inversion drop, but it does it better, as it whips into it faster. Which is better overall? I honestly have no clue, they're actually pretty similar. They're both repetitive airtime machines with low-ground inversions. I think Twisted Timbers may have a higher quantity of elements. They're both amazing, as are all RMCs.
027.jpg
One final look at the airtime. If you haven't been to Kentucky Kingdom, what are you waiting for? It's conveniently located RIGHT next to Louisville Airport. Like, seriously, I don't see how an Uber between the two could cost more than $2-3. The park is well-kept, the employees friendly and mostly efficient, and you literally have a walk-on RMC all the time, even on a Saturday when the rest of the park is slammed. I'll definitely be going back to this park again as soon as I can!

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby gardyloo! » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:57 am

Another Great Trip report! (Sharing, like all of your opinions helps too :lmao: ).
Does Kentucky Kingdom still have that deal for out-of-state guests?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:53 am

Great report! I'm glad you were strong enough to resist T3. It's not worth the pain. :lol:
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Canobie Lake Park & Six Flags New England- Goliath Only

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jynx242 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:23 am

Awesome report! I haven't been to Kentucky Kingdom since it was a Six Flags park but it is on my list of places to go - even though I have to bring my gay ass to Kentucky to get there :);)

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:17 am

Nice report! It's an interesting little park for sure. When I visited, the weather was grim (scorching heat and hideous humidity), so the place was fairly empty. Lightning Run was running one train then as well so throughput was miserable. My visit was quick as I split the day between Kentucky Kingdon and Holiday World (I found that you can easily do both as long as you have the stamina and you're okay with rushing, and I managed to get a ton of rides on both parks' major coasters). I'm guessing you did the same?

Speaking of rough, that triple/up down section of Storm Chaser you mentioned was such a bizarre design choice. I liked parts of the ride, but I'm not as big an RMC fan as others around here, and that section was a good example of what I don't like about their designs. When watching trains pass through, you could see riders slamming back and forth pretty violently. Overall I found it to be a thigh crusher kind of ride, but I still rode it a bunch since there was no line.

Thunder Run was my favorite coaster there, and the Enterprise was still there when I visited so I rode that a bunch of times as well. T3 was my first SLC and, yup, it was bad. The ride itself wasn't as unpleasant as I expected, and I found it less of an endurance test than some of the park's other rides. But it was the seats and restraints were horrible; the ride's gs forced the lap bar down so tight that it cut off circulation. This was made much worse by the fact that the train sat on the brake run for over a minute. It was like the Skyrush effect, only worse.

Looking forward to the next installment, and these little cheap-flight visits are great!

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:26 am

^Yeah, you definitely get jerked forward after an abrupt pop of airtime in that spot, just to get yanked back again with more airtime. I found it borderline between being fun and unpleasant, but after several rides it wasn't the kind of thing that made me want to stop riding or anything like that, so I'm cool with it. But, I do think the coaster would flow a little better without it. And yeah, I basically did a morning/early afternoon Friday at KK, Friday afternoon/evening at Holiday World plus took advantage of the 1 hour gain time change, then Saturday morning/early afternoon I did KK again before my flight.

gardyloo! wrote:Another Great Trip report! (Sharing, like all of your opinions helps too :lmao: ).
Does Kentucky Kingdom still have that deal for out-of-state guests?

They sure do! I believe it was something like $40 plus tax, but then you also got the next day free plus a wristband for free soda. I'm not a soda drinker, so I didn't use that, but I did take advantage of the next-day-free deal.

jynx242 wrote:Awesome report! I haven't been to Kentucky Kingdom since it was a Six Flags park but it is on my list of places to go - even though I have to bring my gay ass to Kentucky to get there :);)

The good thing about Louisville is that it's actually a small liberal bastion in otherwise blood-red Kentucky, so you'll be fine! The park is within the city limits, so the crowds were reassuringly diverse and typical of what you'd see at parks in medium-sized cities. You do see some of the backwoods types, but honestly I even see that here in Orlando at the parks.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:03 pm

Great report! Your description of Lightning Run is spot on. I visited at the same time last year and that stagnant, humid, heat is so gross but at least it makes the coasters run on another level, haha. Can you believe people were complaining about Storm Chaser being sluggish at one point? That last jerk to the left into the brake run is taken at such speeds I felt like I was experiencing a Roller Coaster Tycoon coaster that 1998 me made that has an unbanked turn after the first drop.
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!