TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Fuji-Q Highland Question

Hi all,

I am a big coaster/theme park fan and will be visiting Japan in May with friends. We may go to Fuji Q Highland, and I was hoping anyone who has been there could give me a breakdown of how rough the coasters are? I suffered a concussion several years back, and ever since then I have to be really careful about what coasters I ride. I can typically still handle high G force, as long as it's fairly smooth. But rough coasters I can't handle very well. For reference, Rock N Rollercoaster at Disney World is about as rough as I can do. I'd like to ride as many at Fuji Q as possible, but I do know a lot of Japanese coasters have reputations for being rough. I'm not too worried about Takabisha, but the rest kind of concern me. If anyone could give me a breakdown of how smooth the coasters are, I'd be highly appreciative.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't find any of the coasters there to be rough. Have you been on any of the free spin coasters or X2 before and have issues with those? I haven't been on X2 yet but I didn't find Eejanaika to be rough but it really does whip you around. I could see that possibly being an issue for you but I'm also not a doctor lol

I would say Fujiyama would probably be closest to Rockin' Roller Coaster in jerkiness. But that's after riding it several times and knowing how to lean and brace at certain turns in the layout. It can be a little jarring on one of your first rides due to several turns that were banked tighter than they should've been and the S-curve hills at the end of the ride. Takabisha might have a little rattle, Do-Dodonpa kind of shuffles in it's large turn (that launch can be very forceful though), but both aren't too bad. Eejanaika can be intense, but it's smoother than X2 by a long shot.

I still haven't visited many of the smaller parks, but I found most of the coasters at the larger parks in Japan to be pretty smooth.

Do-Dodonpa wasn’t bad for me, just intense. Eejanaika Isn’t my cup of tea and is definitely more intense than most coasters out there. It’s really difficult to say whether that ride would give you trouble. It’s disorienting to say the least. Otherwise, you’re probably a okay there. As far as coaster selection goes, Nagashima was way more my speed. If you’re going to both, great! If you’re skipping Nagashima, I would double check reports from both to see what you’d like best.

Seriously none of us are doctors and don't know your exact condition. "Roughness" is totally subjective. If Rock n Roller Coaster is your limit, I wouldn't suggest you ride any of the big coasters at Fuji! I would suggest you contact your doctor and they will probably tell you to find a different hobby!

While it has been a couple years since I visited, I’ll add the following comments in hopes they might help (though with that already mentioned caveat that this is purely subjective).

Fujiyama - This was the only coaster during my visit that I was able to get multiple rides on, and I didn’t find any to be at all rough. Perhaps similar to Goliath at Magic Mountain?

Eejanaika - As has been said, this seems much smoother than X2, but I know seating position on X2 can certainly influence how rough of a ride you get. While it is a fun ride, this is probably one to be avoided if you are concerned about how rough a ride is, as it seems certain to have the potential for such.

Takabisha - my recollection is that is was extremely smooth, and probably the one that would be the least of my worries if I was wanting to avoid anything “rough.” Of course, thinking back to that ride and the wait for it, it seems possible that Fuji Q’s speed of operations, and even a moderate crowd could keep you from riding some of the coasters at all!

Do-Dodonpa - the ride itself has obviously changed since I rode it, though when I did ride it the ride was smooth. Fast. But smooth.

The only other coaster I rode there was the Mad Mouse… which was quite rough and probably to be avoided given your concerns.

Eejanaika - As has been said, this seems much smoother than X2, but I know seating position on X2 can certainly influence how rough of a ride you get. While it is a fun ride, this is probably one to be avoided if you are concerned about how rough a ride is, as it seems certain to have the potential for such.

The only other coaster I rode there was the Mad Mouse… which was quite rough and probably to be avoided given your concerns.

NOTE! I am NOT attacking you personally...

This is the problem with the OP asking a medical question about a subjective force. The idea that you would tell someone with a concussion to ride the Arrow 4D over the wild mouse is terrifying to me!!!

Thanks for the input guys!

Seriously none of us are doctors and don't know your exact condition. "Roughness" is totally subjective. If Rock n Roller Coaster is your limit, I wouldn't suggest you ride any of the big coasters at Fuji! I would suggest you contact your doctor and they will probably tell you to find a different hobby!

I would never expect someone to be able to tell me with certainty how I am going to react to a coaster! That is not what I asked. For the record, my doctor would tell me I'm completely fine and that there wouldn't still be any effects from the concussion I suffered years ago. I know better however from my own experiences. Traditional western medicine is woefully behind on the long term effects of head traumas.

I know rough coasters are what bother my head. I assume people here are coaster enthusiasts, so I value their feedback on roughness if they've been on these coasters I haven't been on. I don't really agree that super rough coasters are all that subjective. The roller coaster at the New York New York in Vegas, for example, is factually an extremely rough and bumpy ride. Whether or not it bothers someone is subjective and dependent on a lot of factors, but it is rough. It's only super rough coasters that tend to bother me, has nothing to do with intensity. For example, none of the coasters at Busch Gardens Tampa bother me because they're all fairly smooth (except Scorpion, which I've avoided because of its age). Never been on a b&m that bothered me. I love Lightning Rod at Dollywood, and it may be the most intense coaster I've been on. But it's smooth, so I'm good. Space Mountain at Magic on the other hand can definitely bother my head with all of its roughness and bumpiness.

I've been to Fuji-Q and the biggest thing that stood out to me about the park is that the lines take FOREVER despite not having a ton of people in them--worst operations I've every seen. So it's not like you're going to be riding one ride after another, if that's something that bothers your head.

I will say I agree with Elissa in that roughness is subjective, but I'll add my 2 cents just so you have some more data points

Takabisha was pretty smooth. Honestly didn't really find anything special about it but that's just my opinion.

I know some think that Fujiyama is rough but I personally had no problem with it.

Eejanaika is bouncy like X2 but not bumpy; I don't really know what to compare it to. The bumps aren't like wooden coaster bumps but the seats bounce up and down a bit going through the elements. If you ride in the inner seat you won't feel it nearly as much, if at all. But the ride is overall just insane and disorienting, as has been said. It's in my personal top 5! But again, that kind of thing is subjective. I know many on here don't like it all that much.

Do-dodonpa has since been changed but when I rode it the top hat actually hurt my back because of the weird trims. I can't speak for the loop unfortunately. That launch is also one of the most intense elements I've been on.

But on the topic of roughness being subjective, there are so many factors that go into that. My home park is KI and I've ridden Diamondback hundreds of times and some rides are definitely rougher than others. Sitting in the back vs. front is one factor, but what actually influences me the most is hydration. If I haven't had food or water in a while I have significantly worse ride experiences than if I'm full. It's a B&M and generally a smooth ride, but sometimes mild jackhammering gets to me more than other times. Riding defensively is a huge factor as well. Vortex and Rougarou are two rides I've ridden that I used to hate because of headbanging but don't mind now that I know how to ride defensively (i.e. anticipating the layout and keeping my head forward out of the shoulder restraints). Vortex is an Arrow and is generally considered rough, but isn't bad if you know what's coming. Rougarou is a B&M and I'd venture to say is considered to be pretty smooth, but only by those who know how to ride it. A lot of woodies are significantly better in some seats than others, and when people say they love a certain ride (like the Beast), I'd venture to guess that a lot of them only like it in certain seats (non-wheel seats for that particular ride). At least, that's the case for me. The point is there are a lot of factors that go into how "smooth" a ride is, many of which don't even have to do anything with the ride itself.

NOTE! I am NOT attacking you personally...

This is the problem with the OP asking a medical question about a subjective force. The idea that you would tell someone with a concussion to ride the Arrow 4D over the wild mouse is terrifying to me!!!

This is why I noted that the comments were subjective to me... I certainly found the mouse to be "rougher" than the 4d coaster in this case, though I would not actually recommend riding either as far as a medical recommendation. It is a less than wise person that would take my recommendation on anything, let alone something where I am certainly not an expert. All that said, your calling out the point for emphasis is a good thing that probably cannot be repeated enough, as I certainly did not want anything in my post to come off as terrifying to anyone!

For me, riding X2 just feels like I'm being slammed over and over again to the point where I just don't want to ride it anymore. Eejanaika felt slightly better, but only slightly. The boarding process was insane. At no other ride have I been forced to remove my shoes, then wait another 15 minutes in line to actually get on.

^ Honestly, anything at that park can become "rough" for one reason, or season, or another. Even the old Zola 7 (?) I rode in 2007 (indoor shooting-coaster-dark ride-whatever) and it jumped and bumped all over the tracks. The Mad Mouse was pretty "jolty", and still is, from what's recently reported. You just have to take your chances with Fuji-Queue and hope for the best. With the Fast Passes available, it is possible to enjoy it better, than without them.

330731498_ResizeofIMG_3412.JPG.090d4136167ef372c2110a27628192bc.JPG

I don't think myself or Elissa (yes? no?) were that impressed with this one at Fuji-Q. TPR 2013 Japan Tour.