Extinct theme park ride types

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Re: Extinct theme park ride types

Postby Rai Fox » Mon May 20, 2019 7:12 am

Haymaker wrote:What about Calypsos and Octopuses? Waldameer had an Octopus but it was in pieces last time I was there. Cedar Point has a Cakypso, it used to be my favorite ride at Darien Lake.

I remember discussion of Waldameer's Spider being down for major repairs, but there was no mention of it being in any danger of being removed though. It's still listed on their site this summer, so sounds like it'll probably still be around for a while.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby ryder » Mon May 20, 2019 7:44 am

California's Great America still has a working Calypso, and it has great ops. CGA actually has 3 Schwartzkopf flat rides that are still operating: the Calypso (Centerfuge), Orbiter (Enterprise... many of these are starting to disappear from parks), and Beserker (Bayern Kurve... only 2 left in the states, here and Kennywood).

I'd add that classic Chance Trabants are pretty rare now, and many Condors are now extinct. And my own personal Holy Grail, the Chance Turbo. Never got to ride one, although I remember many vivid memories of seeing one operate at the LA Fair, when I was too young to ride it. But I watched it for hours (well, it felt like hours, lol). I do know now a few parks had one in operation, Idora Park being most notated.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Haymaker » Mon May 20, 2019 8:11 am

Didnt Darien Lake have the last Huss Ranger until they removed it a few years ago?

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby BitterOldHag » Mon May 20, 2019 8:52 am

Haymaker wrote:Fantasy Island has one called Devil's Hole.

Fantasy Island had a Rotor called Devil's Hole back in the 80's (possibly early 90's?). The Devil's Hole ride there now is a Wisdom Gravitron with a custom name and design. A Gravitron is different from a Rotor in that riders slide up the slanted walls on a Gravitron, whereas on a Rotor, the walls are vertical and the floor falls away leaving riders stuck in place.

Just an FYI. :)

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby TheAmericanKnight » Mon May 20, 2019 11:54 am

Haymaker wrote:Didnt Darien Lake have the last Huss Ranger until they removed it a few years ago?

They did. I remember riding it many times. Ranger was an interesting ride. It moves at around the same speed as a Zamperla Hawk model. In fact, in general, it was similar to the Hawk model. However, it was certainly a much more uncomfortable experience in a sort of nostalgic way. The ride used very thick, "heavy duty" lap bars to keep rides in. Instead of the ride unit being upon like a Zamperla Hawk, it was essentially a metal and plastic cage (just look up images of it to see what I mean by that). Above each row was a black (maybe leather?) bad. The pad was there because, when riders experienced hangtime, the heads of riders would bump into the ceiling. Being as tall as I am, this certainly added a little bit of discomfort. The worst part by far were the lapbars themselves. The lapbars came down automatically, and wow, did they come down tight. Sure, Zamperla Hawk harnesses are not exactly comfortable, but the lapbars on Rangers were certainly more painful. This was partly because of how tight the lapbars came down. However, the location of the lapbars also made it very uncomfortable. Basically, because of how thick the lapbars were, it would cover both your lap and your abdomen. So not only did this ride mildly bang your head if you were tall, but a left the ride feeling like you just did 50 sit ups (if you are upper 200 pounds, such as myself). Maybe more skinny people were not as bothered by that. However, that ride did hurt quite a bit overall. I still sort of miss it because not only was it unique, but it was my first "upside down ride" back in the day. So I do feel some nostalgia towards it. However, I still think that Roller Thunder is, at least, a slightly better version of the same concept. The harnesses may hurt a little on Roller Thunder, but at least it is almost impossible to come off with both the head and stomach feeling like it was pummeled for a couple minutes straight.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Haymaker » Mon May 20, 2019 12:46 pm

BitterOldHag wrote:
Haymaker wrote:Fantasy Island has one called Devil's Hole.

Fantasy Island had a Rotor called Devil's Hole back in the 80's (possibly early 90's?). The Devil's Hole ride there now is a Wisdom Gravitron with a custom name and design. A Gravitron is different from a Rotor in that riders slide up the slanted walls on a Gravitron, whereas on a Rotor, the walls are vertical and the floor falls away leaving riders stuck in place.

Just an FYI. :)

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby Jason Maier » Mon May 20, 2019 12:58 pm

Aren't HUSS Topple Towers extinct (or close to)?

I know the one at Marineland has been SBNO for years now

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Rill'o'beily » Tue May 21, 2019 4:30 am

Jason Maier wrote:Aren't HUSS Topple Towers extinct (or close to)?

I'm pretty certain the only operating Topple Tower left is El Volador at Bellewaerde

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby LegendLover » Tue May 21, 2019 10:13 am

Jason Maier wrote:Aren't HUSS Topple Towers extinct (or close to)?

I know the one at Marineland has been SBNO for years now

Believe it or not, Marineland finally removed the Topple Tower during this past off season! When asked about it, the park said that there are plans to fill in that space.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby mnreggie » Tue May 21, 2019 10:46 am

3Mutts wrote:Another rare ride is the Von Roll Gyro Tower, as far as I know the only one that still exists is the one at La Ronde:

I think the Minnesota State Fair has one? Don't quote me on that though - the construction appears quite similar, but I can't seem to find any documentation on its origin.
Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 12.44.52 PM.png

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!