Extinct theme park ride types

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Re: Extinct theme park ride types

Postby DBru » Fri May 17, 2019 1:47 pm

^Fortunately, Whizzer is still open and running great!

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby RaceBoarder » Fri May 17, 2019 4:29 pm

palmerleeberry wrote:I just remembered the coaster at Six Flags Great America called "The Whizzer", a bobsled type coaster that involved an electric spiral lift hill and made by Schwarzkopf. It may not have been the tallest or fastest, but it was the most fun-filled ride. Busch Gardens used to have one like it called "Glissade" until they took it out in 1985. :(

If only we can have a ride company to bring a newfangled version on this coaster back . . . :)

Whizzer is still alive and kickin' at SFGAm.... Great ride for kids/mild thrill seekers!

The bobsled coaster you are thinking of there was Rolling Thunder and that was pulled out in the mid-90s.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri May 17, 2019 5:43 pm

^ And that bobsled coaster is barely alive at Great Escape. It's down more than it's open.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby crash1984 » Sat May 18, 2019 6:14 pm

Double Ferris wheels-These are not extinct, just very rare and difficult to find.

Fly-o-Plane-Lake Winnie had one for a few years but they removed it about a year ago. With that being said I really did not care much for it. Most of the planes you could not roll completely the couple that could roll a lot you had to be at the front of the line to get as everyone would want them. The ones that did not roll completely were very uncomfortable as you would be on your side and your head would be against the door. Yes it was padded but not much.
One post every 4 years or so seems reasonable to me

Postby Mike240SX » Sat May 18, 2019 6:27 pm

crash1984 wrote:Double Ferris wheels-These are not extinct, just very rare and difficult to find.

Really? According to Wikipedia they're all defunct. Not talking about the Skywheel type, but the tilting type as pictured above.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 134
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby JeromyL » Sat May 18, 2019 6:53 pm

I think they are gone from theme parks now, but the Zierer Hexentanz flat ride was a lot of fun... used to be and Knotts Berry Farm and Mall of America... probably still in traveling mode though
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/1ca0001026f6d685dfa4545ede364cfc.jpg[/img][/url]

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat May 18, 2019 10:46 pm

I guess I'll add Bailey Auto Sleds. They were a weird coaster type where you rode in a sled almost like a mountain coaster (except the speed isn't controlled by the rider).

I had the last remaining one on my radar next weekend at Wild Water and Wheels, but I saw a Facebook post that Pipeline Express closed. I cannot find an official news story, but the coaster has been removed from the park's website.

RCDB Page
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Haymaker » Sun May 19, 2019 8:13 pm

BitterOldHag wrote:
pryonisys wrote:It seems like rotors are disappearing. I haven't seen a permanent one for quite some time, but I do see the Gravatron's at fairs still

As far as I know, there are only three Rotor rides (permanent or mobile) left in the States. A Chance portable model at Sylvan Beach, a permanent Chance model called the Tumbleweed at Frontier City, and the rare SDC model called Turkish Twist at Canobie Lake.

Overseas though it's a different story as it seems there are several traveling Rotor rides on the fair circuit, including a new SBF/Visa model called Gravity with translucent barrel walls, and the classic Pluschies Rotor that tours the German Fun Fairs. This Rotor features a walk-through fun house as the queue, and the main ride structure is surrounded by a three-tiered viewing area just like the good old days. I think I mentioned this before, but there are some really crazy pictures of old Rotor rides from the 50's where the entire viewing area is packed with people watching the brave riders. And back then, you had to pay the same amount to watch as you did to ride, so I assume the ROI was pretty good for a Rotor ride!

That's one thing I never liked about Gravitrons. The ride was not designed for spectators. Heck, first time I saw one I had no idea what went on in there! ;)

Fantasy Island has one called Devil's Hole.

What about Calypsos and Octopuses? Waldameer had an Octopus but it was in pieces last time I was there. Cedar Point has a Cakypso, it used to be my favorite ride at Darien Lake.

Postby Mike240SX » Sun May 19, 2019 8:35 pm

Dorney still has an octopus that runs.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 134
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby pǝʇɹǝʌuı » Sun May 19, 2019 9:38 pm

^As does Kings Island

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!