TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Europe trip planning

Hey all I have the option to tag along with my uncle to Milan from June 23-28. I’m wondering what kind of trip I can make out of that. I don’t know if I will have time on the 23rd or 28th to do anything, so for now I’m just planning for the full days I will be in Europe. I don’t have to worry about my flights, and I have a place to stay in Milan if I want. But anything else I have to take care of myself.

Little bit about me and my tastes, I’m definitely a coaster enthusiast looking for the biggest thrills and not necessarily the nicest or most themed park.

I don’t really know anything about European parks. I’m not against spending money as long as I am getting value for what I’m paying for. So staying at an on site/ nice hotel and getting skip the line passes is something I regularly do.

Alright, looking forward to reading some suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

How much are you willing to travel? How many nights are you willing to pay for not in Milan? Are you looking for day trips only or overnights? Willing to fly or wanting to just take trains? Staying in Italy or leaving the country?

Well, the closest good/big parks are probably the Lake Garda ones of Gardaland and Movieland Park. Otherwise, you could fly within Europe and go to Germany (Cologne is an obvious one with Phantasialand and Movie Park), Stuttgart (Tripsdrill, Holiday Park, and Skyline being closeish by), and Vienna (Prater) would probably be cheapest. Milan itself though is no hot spot.

How much are you willing to travel? How many nights are you willing to pay for not in Milan? Are you looking for day trips only or overnights? Willing to fly or wanting to just take trains? Staying in Italy or leaving the country?

I don’t want to have to fly anywhere else. Other than that I have no limitations.

Well, the closest good/big parks are probably the Lake Garda ones of Gardaland and Movieland Park. Otherwise, you could fly within Europe and go to Germany (Cologne is an obvious one with Phantasialand and Movie Park), Stuttgart (Tripsdrill, Holiday Park, and Skyline being closeish by), and Vienna (Prater) would probably be cheapest. Milan itself though is no hot spot.

It’s too far to drive to Germany?

^I think we were all just really confused by your post. We assumed you wanted the free flight and free place to stay and a free trip to Europe with some side parks where you could get easily.

If you're not really 'tagging along with your Uncle' and ditching him as soon as you get to Milan, sure, rent a car and drive all over Europe and meet back with him for the free flight back!

Sorry for the confusion. I’m tagging along for the flight there and back home. My intention is to go off on my own with my GF and drive to wherever or take a train to wherever. Whatever is better. If you were me what would you do?

It’s too far to drive to Germany?

If you want to drive 5 hours to Europa or 7ish to Tripsdrill/Skyline/Holiday Park, be my guest. You'll need to make sure the car is kosher to drive throughout the EU and buy a permit to use freeways in Switzerland and Austria each once you cross the respective borders. Personally if it was me, I'd go to Lake Garda for my parks and enjoy the fact that northern Italy is preposterously gorgeous. Maybe drive into Switzerland and Liechtenstein using local roads since that's the best driving in the entire world. LOL I wouldn't waste my time at Skyline vs. driving around multi-thousand foot cliffs and castles and s#it.

Personally if it was me, I'd go to Lake Garda for my parks and enjoy the fact that northern Italy is preposterously gorgeous. Maybe drive into Switzerland and Liechtenstein using local roads since that's the best driving in the entire world. LOL I wouldn't waste my time at Skyline vs. driving around multi-thousand foot cliffs and castles and s#it.

After discussing it with the GF we're just going to stay local. We'll go to Gardaland so I can get my roller coaster fix, she wants to spend a day in Milan shopping, and I think the rest of the time we will just check out Lake Garda.

After doing a little research I don't feel like I have enough time to visit the German parks and do it the right way. So hopefully I will have another chance..

2-3 hours is a piece of cake for me. I drive down to kings Island and Kennywood from Detroit all the time. And that’s a good 4+ hours.

ispeed looks like xcelerator at Knott’s but with the old school Maverick hard restraints, at least according to all the pictures I could find of it.

And yeah the other is a B&M invert, for sure I have to check this place out, thanks!

2-3 hours is a piece of cake for me. I drive down to kings Island and Kennywood from Detroit all the time. And that’s a good 4+ hours.

ispeed looks like xcelerator at Knott’s but with the old school Maverick hard restraints, at least according to all the pictures I could find of it.

It's closer to Maverick than Xcelerator, except the ending kinda sucks. Katun (the invert) is super good. TBH Gardaland is the "better park" but I find it sterile and kinda bleh compared to Mirabilandia and Moveland Park being filled with all the weird.

Seriously, go to Movieland Park. The Knight Rider Jet Boat attraction is one of the greatest things ever.

^No. Movieland is as if Universal was built by some crazy eclectic rich guy who wanted to secretly watch people in extraordinary situations. It is nothing like any other place on earth and you should definitely go.

Edited by SharkTums

sounds awesome! Can I do both Gardaland and Movieland in 1 day?

Probably not because this is Europe and parks more often than not close early (like 6PM closings on Saturdays). Gardaland is a big park with a ton to do. Movieland is far less packed but you'll want to do everything, screen attractions included (not tons of em), because they're just bonkers. What screen things do they have? Terminator and Police Academy? I mean dude they have a Police Academy ride. With italian actor lookalikes to the people in the Police Academy series. This is real and exists in Italy in the same place with a knockoff Medieval Times and a knockoff Hard Rock. And the water park with the death slides that don't kill anyone because they don't put metal rings w/nets over them but just let them fly like 4 feet in the air!