The 2018 TPR Coaster Poll

Submit your ballot TODAY!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: The 2018 TPR Coaster Poll is now OPEN!

Postby robbalvey » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:36 pm

Tanks4me05 wrote:^I see this wasn't just me, then. (I won't be surprised if the accuracy of the polls is appreciably reduced because of this.)

You know, if you're just going to bitch and complain about the poll I'm more than happy to disqualify your ballot and throw it away.
Last edited by robbalvey on Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:38 pm.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:10 am

DBru wrote:What’s the best solution to this? Obviously the numbers didn’t rearrange correctly when I dragged and dropped...but I don’t want to manually renumber every coaster I’ve ranked in the spreadsheet. :?r

Tanks4me05 wrote:^I see this wasn't just me, then. (I won't be surprised if the accuracy of the polls is appreciably reduced because of this.)

Respectfully guys, this is why we let the polls be open for a month (or more), to iron out these sorts of problems. It's really challenging for us to deal with this stuff when these sorts of problems aren't brought up until the last possible moment.

I believe I was able to reproduce your problem. I moved a few of my coasters around and immediately clicked the done button, when the page reloaded none of my changes were reflected.

DBru, what I want you do to do is as follows: In the spreadsheet mode, make your changes the way you want them, and then WAIT. Wait until you see a little green box automatically show up that says "saved your new order, It'll be live soon", and THEN click the "Done Ranking" button. It should show up about 5-10 seconds after you've made your most recent change. See if that works.

And don't worry, we'll do everything we can to make sure the system is working properly before we compile the results.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:00 am

A.J. wrote:It's really challenging for us to deal with this stuff when these sorts of problems aren't brought up until the last possible moment.

THIS!!!

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Tanks4me05 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:59 am

robbalvey wrote:

You know, if you're just going to bitch and complain about the poll I'm more than happy to disqualify your ballot and throw it away.

I apologize for any misinterpretation. It was just that the last time I listed that long list of errors, the response appeared to implicitly come to the conclusion (which I came to agree with) that they were the result of something weird going on just with my phone in particular, and not necessarily the coding of the poll itself. I'm aware that this is a complex program, I just wanted to highlight that "Error 1" may in fact be an issue with the coding of the poll. Again, I apologize for how it was worded. I have a history of struggling to catch any false, negative connotations that can be conveyed in what I say despite my best efforts to catch them beforehand. My actual intended connotation was to be purely neutral and "diagnostic" for lack of a better term. (And if I didn't catch any negative connotations in this post, I apologize for those, too.)

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:08 am

Tanks4me05 wrote:I just wanted to highlight that "Error 1" may in fact be an issue with the coding of the poll.

Yes, we get it. You just wanted to publicly point out that you were right and we were wrong. Trust me, we 100% see your motives through all your fake apologies. No need to continue. All will be addressed. You can go away now. Thanks.
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:14 am.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby tdaun » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:29 pm

Out of curiosity do you tally the votes manually or is it an automated process?

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:37 pm

tdaun wrote:Out of curiosity do you tally the votes manually or is it an automated process?

The process is automated but somewhat curated. For example, we had some testing and adjusting last year because we had certain rides be super-highly ranked but only had one or two people ranking them. That led us to develop the rule that a coaster's yearly ranking is "provisional" (marked with an asterisk instead of a number on the results) when it has less than a certain number of riders. Soaring With Dragon at Wanda Hefei is an example of one of those coasters.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby tdaun » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:32 pm

A.J. wrote:
tdaun wrote:Out of curiosity do you tally the votes manually or is it an automated process?

The process is automated but somewhat curated. For example, we had some testing and adjusting last year because we had certain rides be super-highly ranked but only had one or two people ranking them. That led us to develop the rule that a coaster's yearly ranking is "provisional" (marked with an asterisk instead of a number on the results) when it has less than a certain number of riders. Soaring With Dragon at Wanda Hefei is an example of one of those coasters.

Okay very cool,just wanted to say thanks for putting this together. It was a very straightforward & easy to understand method. The only hard part was figuring out what ranking I wanted to give my coasters.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Intamin_coyote » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:56 pm

Agreed.

Ranking the top 10-20 is usually easy, and even the bottom 5-10.

But its always that clusterf*k of moderately enjoyable Arrows / mediocre wood coasters that are so hard to sort out in the middle :lmao:

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Garet » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:03 pm

^ A.J. wrote that lumping middle coasters under a number is also acceptable for the poll. So you could do top ten and bottom 10 and then grouping a bunch of coasters after that so coasters you really like are all 15, then good coasters under 20 and meh coasters under 25 etc.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!