Florida TR

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Florida TR

Postby cfc » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:22 am

The best rides at the Universal resort are Spider-Man, Men in Black, and Mummy, but I also like Rip, Ride 'n' Rockit, and was pleasantly surprised when I rode Hulk last fall (first time for me since the rebuild). As for the screen-based stuff, Fallon and Fast & Furious don't interest me at all, but I enjoyed Kong: Skull Island.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:50 pm

Nice write up! I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoys Rockit. It is easy to poke fun at, but it does have some solid airtime.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Knoebels & Dutch Wonderland

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby AndrewA86 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:21 am

Oh man, I love your reviews. I literally LOL'd at several of the parts. I completely agree about how stupid Transformers is. It seems like Universal and Six Flags have the "Universalisms" where they end the ride with the actors turning to you and saying "Great job, you can join our team any time." As the actors take a shot of JD and a snort of coke and swear that they're going to fire their agents for booking them on an amusement park ride.

LOL, thanks I'm glad someone enjoyed it.

I wouldn't expect a person who doesn't care about theming and doesn't like Harry Potter is to enjoy Universal. Clearly you're not the target market. Obviously lots of people share your complaints about screens (personally it doesn't bother me) so that's a legitimate complaint but honestly it doesn't seem like any of the parks in Orlando (outside of the Seaworld / Busch parks) would really be your thing if you're only looking for big un-themed thrilling coasters. Whatever you do, don't ever go to Disney. :lol:

No I'm not the target market, and like I said before we went specifically because my GF wanted to. Also, not only looking for big un-themed thrilling coasters. I don't dislike theming, it just doesn't add anything to the experience for me. I have already been to Disney, Disneyland to be exact, when I was 8 or 9, and it wasn't a place I enjoyed back then. I had already been on coasters like Magnum, Steel Phantom, and The Beast so going on the Matterhorn Bobsleds didn't do much for me.

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:
Ironically, the water rides are probably the best part of IOA, as there are few, if any screens. But obviously, who likes getting wet?

Lots of people which is why those rides exist. River Adventure posted an 85 minute wait the last 2 days. Splash Mountain posted a 150 minute wait yesterday. It would appear that tons of people like to ride water rides in Florida. I couldn't believe it either. :lol:

Yeah I enjoy water rides and getting wet in order to cool down. It just wasn't hot enough when I was there to get splashed and then have to walk around in 60 degree weather.
by cfc » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:22 am

The best rides at the Universal resort are Spider-Man, Men in Black, and Mummy, but I also like Rip, Ride 'n' Rockit, and was pleasantly surprised when I rode Hulk last fall (first time for me since the rebuild). As for the screen-based stuff, Fallon and Fast & Furious don't interest me at all, but I enjoyed Kong: Skull Island.

This is mostly how I felt. I did enjoy mummy and the coasters. I thought Kong was neat because there was stuff going on on both sides of you.

Nice write up! I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoys Rockit. It is easy to poke fun at, but it does have some solid airtime.

Thanks, and it was very forceful.

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:45 am

I don't know, a few counterpoints to the argument that people just love getting wet on amusement park rides:

--Water rides always have terrible capacity,so the long lines are attributable to the poor capacity as well.
--People may like the idea of getting wet, but when they're on the ride, they're always trying to avoid the splashes.This is repeatable, and I've observed it from 99% of guests.
--There are many fun aspects to water rides that transcend the wetness that other rides often don't match. And the water rides are often the only themed rides at some of the regular amusement parks. The theme parks really go crazy with the theming for their water rides.
--There's a certain luxury to being on a boat and floating around. One of Disney's bread and butter is the floating boat ride that's all theming and not much else.

My hypothesis is just that you could take a regular water ride, and re-design it so that you give the illusion of getting wet, and tease people -- but never actually get people wet -- and it would be a home run attraction that people would love. Splash Mountain attempts this -- as you drop underground (a move that the Imagineers made to keep you dry) -- but there are some accidental splashes that they couldn't help.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:30 am

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:Water rides always have terrible capacity,so the long lines are attributable to the poor capacity as well.

The rapids ride at Islands of Adventure has the highest capacity in the park except for Hulk and Forbidden Journey. It had an hour wait on Sunday. The ride absolutely soaks you to the bone.

River Adventure does 1,790 an hour which is really solid.

It's Florida... people want to get wet.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!