Taylor's Japan Adventures 2018

Days 19 and 20: Goodbye Tokyo Disney and Japan!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Taylor's Japan Adventures 2018

Postby Taylor Finn » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:15 pm

Day 18 Extra Photos (mostly of It's a Small World)

So I can maintain my sanity, I am going to post the remaining photos that I discovered were in fact from this second day in Disneyland. I think I may have even mentioned riding some of these things but just didn't post the pictures. Then I will hopefully sooooooon post the last two days of Disney pictures I got (way more of them than in this first report).

IMG_2689.jpg
Weird how I uploaded photos in my last report of me leaving Disneyland at the end of the night, yet there are pictures that appeared after on Google Photos that were clearly taken earlier. But yeah. Some more stuff.

IMG_2691.jpg
I have a bunch of pictures here of the new It's a Small World overlay. They added a bunch of characters from all sorts of Disney movies into the ride. I think it was done tastefully and why not?

IMG_2692.jpg
Frozen.

IMG_2693.jpg
Peter Pan.

IMG_2694.jpg
Brave.

IMG_2695.jpg
Tangled.

IMG_2696.jpg
Pinocchio.

IMG_2697.jpg
Lilo.

IMG_2698.jpg
Moana.

IMG_2699.jpg
Nemo.

IMG_2700.jpg
Little Mermaid.

IMG_2701.jpg
There you have it! This ride was consistently popular. Lines hovered around 50-60 minutes it seemed.

IMG_2702.jpg
Yeah, I wasn't a happy camper having to wait this long for Buzz. I have such mixed feelings about this ride. I love love Toy Story. But I also feel strongly that the shooting component of the game kind of sucks. And they oughta improve it.

IMG_2704.jpg
Even the fire extinguishers are stored in cute ways!

IMG_2705.jpg
Main street was BEAUTIFUL at night. They had this little show that lit up the whole street for the 35th anniversary. Yeah, that's all the photos I got for you. Hopefully will tag this post with the remaining pictures here soon.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Taylor Finn » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:41 am

Days 19/20: DisneySea and Disneyland Day 3/4

Alrighty. We're back for one last update. Before I finish up, just want to say thank you to everyone who has followed along. This time last year, I was a few days out from visiting these parks. I am so, so grateful to Robb and Elissa for planning a perfect trip. Truly incredible to just have everything totally figured out for me when it came to transportation, lodging, and these parks. Could never have done this myself. And likely would never have become interested in Japan as much without all the great reports from them/others over the years.

It is crazy to think of the opportunities I have had because of this little community. The forum has been a beautiful thing for me and am super proud to have been a part of it for ~10 years (likely more as a reader). Cannot wait to see what is in store down the line.

TOTAL RIDE TALLY FOR 4.5 DAYS AT DISNEY

DisneySea:

Nemo - 1
Indiana Jones - 6
Raging Spirits - 6
Tower of Terror - 3
Aquatopia - 4
20k Leagues - 2
Carousel - 1
Gondolas - 1
Flounder's Flying Fish Coaster - 1
Toy Story Midway Mania - 1
Sinbad - 2
Electric Railway - 2
Transit Steamer Line - 1

Shows:

Tritan's Band - 1
Fantasmic - 2
Magic Lamp Theater - 1
Mickey Big Band Beat - 1
Out of Shadowland - 1

Tokyo Disneyland

Peter Pan - 1
Snow White - 1
Monsters Inc. Hide and Go Seek - 2
Pinocchio - 1
Big Thunder Mountain - 2
Jungle Cruise - 1
Western Railroad - 1
Swiss Family Treehouse - 1
Canoes - 1
Roger Rabbit - 1
Star Tours - 2
Space Mountain - 6
Splash Mountain - 6
Haunted Mansion - 4
Pirates - 4
Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters - 2
Tom Sawyer's Island - 1
Pooh's Hunny Hunt - 3
It's a Small World - 2

Shows:

One Man's Dream - 1
Electrical Parade - 2

So yeah, I did a lot. Some folks will see this and wonder why it was necessary to do some of these rides so many times. I dunno, I just really enjoy them. Plenty of folks on the trip were more than content with just two days at the park. And honestly, if you aren't a Disney crazy person, it probably is enough time. It is tough, because these extra two days could've been spent exploring Tokyo more and having loads of super unique experiences. So, tradeoffs must be made, I guess!

Okay, now back to business. The way Tokyo Disney tickets work is:

Days 1 and 2: Pick one park to go to.
Days 3 and 4: Hop as you please.

It is an understated bonus that the price includes hopping parks. Because of how close the parks are to one another (two quick monorail stops), it is so easy and worthwhile. Then I got to do some of my favorites (Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror, Indiana Jones, etc.) on three separate days, instead of two. Also, ticket prices are still very affordable, compared to the States. Which is confusing because attendance is... high.

Either way, I am going to recite here my day so you can get an idea of just how much you can accomplish in one day.

Rope-dropped DisneySea, went and grabbed a Tower of Terror FP, then rode standby. Then walked back to the Arabian Coast and began a bit of a food adventure. Rode Sinbads. Had a Raging Spirits FP and went into line for the FP before opting for Single Rider instead (shorter). Then rode indie single rider with no line. Rode twice. Got Gyoza and Grapefruit Blood Orange Beer Cocktail (yes it deserves to be capitalized). Rode 20k Leagues Under the Sea stanby. Did two shows, explored the SS Columbia and left Tokyo DisneySea at 2:50 for Disneyland. On monorail at 2:54, in Disneyland gates by 3:08. Grabbed a Space Mountain FP, rode Jungle Cruise, rode train. Had a dinner, rode Splash Mountain single rider, did canoes, Cinderella's Castle walkthrough, Haunted Mansion, had a snack, watched electric parade, rode Pirates, Space Mountain FP, Star Tours, Space Mountain stanby, and Monsters Inc.

Yeah, it was a crazy busy day. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

IMG_2710.jpg
Welcome to the best illusion (for Taylor, that is) that Disney has ever pulled off. It is simple, but SO effective. The first time I saw it, I was dumbfounded.

IMG_2711.jpg
Cool little props everywhere in Hotel Hightower.

IMG_2712.jpg
Started out the day with some yummy eats in the Arabian Coast.

IMG_2713.jpg
Spotted the Genie, though! Lots more characters doing random interactions, I would say, than I was used to seeing in Florida.

IMG_2714.jpg
Maple Cream Puffs with some nuts and chocolate sauce. Delicious. And notice the prices!

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2717.jpg
Some tandoori chicken!

IMG_2718.jpg
This place had some yummy options for lunch/dinner. I didn't partake, though!

IMG_2719.jpg
After some snacking, I went off to ride Indiana Jones. This is the end of the single rider line. Walk down this narrow stairway and at the bottom of the second set of steps you are literally at the loading platform. I never waited more than 5 minutes. Truly incredible.

IMG_2720.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg
Next up on the snack quest. GYOZA. Plenty of horrifying pictures of Robb eating it, I knew I must have it. The first day I was at the park, I didn't make it to the stand before they close (before park close).

IMG_2722.jpg
Blood orange and grapefruit beer cocktail. I remember REALLY liking this.

IMG_2723.jpg
Mysterious Island was just stunning in person. Grand and something to look at everywhere. Unfortunately, no Journey to the Center of the Earth this trip.

IMG_2724.jpg
More beauty.

IMG_2725.jpg
This whole area by the harbor was a blast to explore. So much cool stuff to see and interact with!

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2728.jpg
There are no words that can be used that accurately describe what this park is actually like to explore. You can read countless reports and still be amazed when you experience it.

IMG_2729.jpg
The Chamber of Planets with a super cool model of the solar system that you could tinker with.

IMG_2731.jpg
Some alchemy.

IMG_2732.jpg
Went and saw the show at the Magic Lamp Theater. Don't remember being overly wowed by it. But, alas.

IMG_2733.jpg
Little its of Disney magic, everywhere.

IMG_2735.jpg
I'd love to have the money to stay in the Hotel MiraCoast.

IMG_2736.jpg
Could rotate this properly. But you get the point.

IMG_2737.jpg
I had really wanted to give these a go, just because of how cute they were. Looked for em in Tomorrowland because that is where I had read you get them. I struck out, but managed to find them on the bridge between American Waterfront and Cape Cod. One chocolate, one vanilla, one strawberry. They could never be as tasty as they are adorable. But they were quality!

IMG_2738.jpg
Where you get on the gondola.

IMG_2739.jpg
I am a bit confused by this picture. Because it precedes me entering Tokyo Disneyland after leaving DisneySea midday. Is this to get in to Disneyland? Seems odd.

IMG_2740.jpg
Loved this guy!

IMG_2741.jpg
Welcome!

IMG_2742.jpg
This was a nice railroad! No stops in the park because of some weird rules in Japan where if it stopped, it would be considered a form of transportation and they would have to charge. Haven't fact checked that. But that's what I had heard (explains the cost to ride the monorail throughout the resort).

IMG_2744.jpg
Some nice shots along the route. I think these parks would feel a lot less alive if the river, riverboat, and Tom Sawyer's Island didn't exist.

IMG_2745.jpg
The Canoes! We'll get to you later. These are a ton of fun and are just a super unique offering. These poor cast members do 80% of the work.

IMG_2746.jpg
I appreciate this scene from Big Thunder a lot.

IMG_2747.jpg
Love the little surprise in the train tunnel.

IMG_2749.jpg
There's the sign. Yeah, the Stitch overlay seems like a net positive. I wouldn't mind Disney Florida taking this approach.

IMG_2750.jpg
Oh man, this Waffle Sandwich was delicious. So many snack worthy things in these parks. This is how I prefer to eat. Fill up on a bunch of smaller things.

IMG_2751.jpg
Choo. Choo.

IMG_2752.jpg
Got a bit wet thanks to some IRRESPONSIBLE rowers. Cough, cough. They were small children. Alas, it felt wonderful because all four days in these parks were brutally hot. It may have drizzled once.

IMG_2753.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg
Canoe views.

IMG_2756.jpg
Wow, I am so good. This is likely my favorite Disney ride. It is so tough to decide that. But it just has it all.

IMG_2759.jpg
The Cinderalla Walkthrough is definitely worth doing if just for the neat views of Fantasyland. If you haven't already, read up on the Mystery Tour that used to take place in the basement of the castle. Some interesting videos on its bizarre existence.

IMG_2761.jpg
Recommend these pizza spring rolls over in Toontown. I legitimately walked back there a second time to have it.

IMG_2762.jpg
They have a guy that comes around to collect garbage before the parades start. This is a smart idea.

IMG_2764.jpg
Now for a whole bunch of Electrical Parade shots. Every float, in fact. I loved this show and actually saw it a second time so I could fully appreciate it. Being tall I could kind of sneak in last minute and stand in the back of a group and still see quite well.

IMG_2765.jpg

IMG_2766.jpg

IMG_2767.jpg

IMG_2768.jpg

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg
One of my favs.

IMG_2774.jpg
The best of the best. This Genie float goes absolutely crazy. Watch one of Robb's videos of the parade.

IMG_2775.jpg

IMG_2776.jpg

IMG_2777.jpg

IMG_2779.jpg

IMG_2780.jpg

IMG_2781.jpg

IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

IMG_2785.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg
I know these pictures sort of sucked. But that's alright. Better to see than not to see.

IMG_2788.jpg
My kind of sponsorship!

IMG_2789.jpg
As the day winded down, we frantically realized that Monsters Inc. had opened up again (had been closed so we opted for Star Tours instead to end the night). We manged to hustle off Star Tours (had actually considered walking straight through the ride to the exit. I believe we actually did ride Star Tours and then ended up being one of the last few to get on the ride, as you can see here.

Goodbye Tokyo Disney

Sight. This is where the trip comes to an end. One more day at these great parks and I was determined to make the most of it! Did a few new things, revisted some favorites.

From my phone record:

Rope dropped Tokyo Disneyland, grabbed Space Mountain FP, did standby for Pooh. Walked right on and got to ride the third 'mode.' Started as third car in convoy and finished first. Standby Small World, got honey popcorn, and used Space Mountain FP. Off by 10:05. Got Big Thunder FP, then rode Splash Mountain via single rider... twice. Shopped around a bit and obtained a delicious waffle. Rode Pirates and Big Thunder with FP. Arrived at One Man's Dream show at 12:50 for a 1:30 show and got in. Was able to leave seat before show started to get a drink and still come back in. Ate lunch at Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall. Rode Haunted Mansion, then Splash Mountain single rider again. Then Space FP, before leaving for Tokyo DisneySea.

Explored Mermaid Lagoon, rode Caravan Carousel. Ate dinner at Yucutan Base Camp, rode Indiana Jones single rider, did Electric Railway, and Big City Vehicles. Tried to Aquatopia on 'Get Wet' mode, but did not get wet. As soon as I got off, they were transitioning back to normal mode for night. Watched Fantasmic again. Rode Raging Spirits twice single rider no line. Rode Aquatopia twice more, and finished with the Gondolas.

PHEW. This was an insane day.

IMG_2791.jpg
Oh, how I love this ride.

IMG_2793.png
Oh someone made a funny!

IMG_2794.jpg
Oh, I will.

IMG_2795.jpg
Getting ready for that afternoon parade.

IMG_2796.jpg
Caught a bit of it. Mickey getting carried around like the royalty he is.

IMG_2797.jpg
This waffle was so good. Vanilla custard and strawberry sauce. Yum. Like $4, or so. Why can't Disney Florida be like this. I snacked so hard because it didn't feel criminally expensive to do so.

IMG_2800.jpg
One Man's Dream was a nice show! Retold various Disney movies in a different way. Lots of cool costumes.

IMG_2801.jpg

IMG_2802.jpg
Swordfish with potatoes and broccoli. The food here is good. But this portion was TINY. I never really felt like portions were an issue here or in Japan. But this place is a bit of a rip off, IMHO.

IMG_2804.jpg
But the vibe is great! Come on in, if just to get a glass of water to check it out!

IMG_2805.jpg

IMG_2806.jpg
These tombstones always make me chuckle.

IMG_2807.jpg
More crowds lining up. So orderly. So prepared.

IMG_2808.jpg
The only selfie I took the entire trip. There were LOADS of people just hanging out here taking pictures for what seemed like forever.

IMG_2809.jpg
Expansion brewing.

IMG_2669.jpg
Everyone was wearing these watermelon dressed. Think it was supposed to be like Minnie's favorite fruit or something. I dunnnnno.

IMG_2799.jpg
Unaffordable?

IMG_2810.jpg
Some more views of DisneySea from Disneyland. If you didn't know already, the fireworks (cancelled due to high winds all five nights I was there), shoot off between the two parks and so both parks get the same show.

IMG_2811.jpg
They had like 18 cars running on this puppy. Every 15 seconds a dispatch.

IMG_2812.jpg
Goodbye, friend.

IMG_2819.jpg
WOW.

IMG_2823.jpg
The cast member insisted I wave this flag around.

IMG_2825.jpg
The little Venice area was super well-themed.

IMG_2827.jpg
A few more shots.

IMG_2828.jpg
This is the $5 game where you either win a big stuffed animal if you win or a pin if you lose. Line had to be 30+ minutes, but I guess it is worth it!

IMG_2831.jpg
You are a beaut.

IMG_2832.jpg
Big City Vehicles. They hauled. Maybe 3 mph.

IMG_1416.jpg
Goodbye!

IMG_2831.jpg
You are a beaut.

Thanks again for reading all these reports! I hope I have inspired a few of you to visit Japan. It is such a unique country. Wonderful people, wonderful parks, wonderful culture everywhere, wonderful food, and yeah. It's just the best. Planning my return visit every day until I'm back.
IMG_2525.jpg
Fairwell.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:56 am

Really great report! I've enjoyed reliving the trip through you. Thanks for the kind words, we hope to have you on many more trips with us.

As for your picture you were confused about with the big lines midway through your day? I'm assuming that was around the time when they offer the Starlight Passport (after 3 or 6pm depending on the day). It can get very busy around those times as it's a great deal and many people take advantage of it so it's almost like another mini-ropedrop!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:23 pm

^ Tokyo Disney has so many great ticket/visiting deals for (mainly) their local visitors, and those from overseas who are lucky enough to get to visit TDLR. It's wonderful!

And thanks for the awesome TR on all of Disney AND Japan, Taylor! I miss Japan (and Disney) so much.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:10 pm

I've loved following along, and seeing all the fantastic pics.

and agree 100% on your comments about Robb, Elissa, the Mods here, and the entire TPR community as a whole (including Kristen too, as her joy in some of the pics that are shared is fantastic).

So glad I found this place years ago!
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:07 pm

Thanks, Taylor, for taking us along on your awesome adventure! Great report, great photos, and I think that we all share your sentiments re TPR! =) Wishing you many more amazing trips ahead.

Alice

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:56 pm

Just finished reading! Awesome report!
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!