Possible GP question

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 12 Jan 2019
Gender: None specified

Possible GP question

Postby S.Parker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:05 am

So I have noticed that every roller coaster I have ridden has staff checking restraints, but they also have someone usually in a room with windows just watching what the others are doing. What is that persons job?

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 5845
Joined: 21 Mar 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
Age: 26

Re: Possible GP question

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:57 am

That employee is manning the control panel for unlocking/locking restraints, dispatching trains, etc.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Image
Most Recent Trip Reports- Eiffel Tower & Nigloland

Too Slow For Comfort
 
Posts: 237
Joined: 20 Dec 2018
Location: Tampa, FL
Gender: Male

Re: Possible GP question

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:40 am

S.Parker wrote:So I have noticed that every roller coaster I have ridden has staff checking restraints, but they also have someone usually in a room with windows just watching what the others are doing. What is that persons job?


As I say, the only GP question is the question not asked. You're probably talking about the ride operator. A high functioning coaster has the following positions:

Greeter: First person or persons you see when you enter the queue line. They answer some questions for the guests, stare them down to make sure they'll be able to get on the ride, and not have to get a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo for their loose items, take care of the first round of priority queue obligations or watch the single rider line, and do other duties as necessary.

Crowd Control: Person or persons that you see that separate the queue line from the station. They stop people from entering and have them wait periodically and make sure that the station doesn't get too crowded. They manage the flow between the priority queue and the main queue. They're the last line of defense to make sure that the guests can ride and that their loose articles are taken care of in adherence with the park policy.

Restraint Checkers: The man the station, and ensure that the restraints are properly in place and that all guests are safe.

Ride Operator: He/she sits in the control booth, look for signals from the restraint checkers, and dispatch the train when its ready. This is usually the highest level of employee stationed in the a ride -- considered to be "operating heavy machinery."

Even higher functioning parks will also have employees roving around the queue line, monitoring, answering questions, and managing the flow of guests.


Lower functioning parks or parks operating at partial capacity will sacrificing the rovers, the greeters, and the crowd control. Its generally difficult to properly allow a priority queue with only restraint checkers and a ride op, but when crowds are light enough, full capacity may not be needed.

So what you were referring to probably describes the ride operator. Some people casually call all employees on a ride a "ride operator" or "ride op" but technically that just refers to the employee at the control panel.

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 4016
Joined: 05 Jul 2012
Location: On a two man ride with Flume Dog
Gender: Male
Age: 33

Re: Possible GP question

Postby prozach626 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:10 pm

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:
As I say, the only GP question is the question not asked.


You's crazy.

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 14144
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: The bar
Gender: Male
Age: 31

Re: Possible GP question

Postby coasterbill » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:41 am

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:Even higher functioning parks will also have employees roving around the queue line, monitoring, answering questions, and managing the flow of guests.


Where is this a thing? I've only seen this at parks where it was necessary because the queue was split by a midway and they were just there to pulse the line because they had to be because it was either a stupid or abnormally massive queue. I've never seen a park pay someone to walk around a queue and answer questions. That sounds totally pointless.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...
User avatar
 
Posts: 6230
Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Gender: Male
Age: 27

Re: Possible GP question

Postby A.J. » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:27 pm

coasterbill wrote:I've never seen a park pay someone to walk around a queue and answer questions. That sounds totally pointless.

Example, Avatar Flight of Passage, you have one person at the entrance to the caves pulsing guests (but only when it's crowded). However, you don't see any more cast members after that until the up / down link chamber split.

At Kumba, I think I saw five people total. There was one person at the entrance greeting and checking heights, two people checking harnesses (one for each side), one person standing around, and one person in the overhead booth. In a pinch, I would bet that you could run a coaster with a crew of three people. But it's definitely a benefit to have that fourth person at the ride entrance.
Image
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Too Slow For Comfort
 
Posts: 237
Joined: 20 Dec 2018
Location: Tampa, FL
Gender: Male

Re: Possible GP question

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:32 pm

coasterbill wrote:
Too Fast For Comfort wrote:Even higher functioning parks will also have employees roving around the queue line, monitoring, answering questions, and managing the flow of guests.


Where is this a thing? I've only seen this at parks where it was necessary because the queue was split by a midway and they were just there to pulse the line because they had to be because it was either a stupid or abnormally massive queue. I've never seen a park pay someone to walk around a queue and answer questions. That sounds totally pointless.


I've been going to Disney a lot lately and Universal some. Its expensive to fully staff your parks, but it does help. Plus, remember that at the theme parks, the line is almost a part of the ride, so in many ways, you need some staff to make sure that the guests are going through at the right times. Sure, the amusement parks where there's little to no theming and/or the lines are always very manageable, parks can feel free to remove staff as needed. Or, as you were saying, not even consider having staff in certain areas at all.

But even at the amusement parks, you'll see a lot of staff on certain rides that are excessive and not realize it. Think about the log flume-ish rides and their derivatives. You'll see employees chilling at the top of the drops reading books to kill the time.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.
 
Posts: 596
Joined: 03 Jul 2013
Gender: Male
Age: 24

Re: Possible GP question

Postby TNT » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:31 pm

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:Think about the log flume-ish rides and their derivatives. You'll see employees chilling at the top of the drops reading books to kill the time.


I worked at an amusement park for almost 4 years and doing anything other than watching the ride from the top of the lift of log flume, mine train, or the post at the rapids ride was a fireable offense. Their job isn't to hang around and read a book or play on thier phone, their job is to make sure riders are following rules and make sure the ride is running safely and to stop the ride when unsafe conditions arise. Kinda hard to do with your nose in a book.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain
User avatar
 
Posts: 7143
Joined: 10 Feb 2014
Location: Philthadelphia
Gender: None specified

Re: Possible GP question

Postby boldikus » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:39 pm

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:
S.Parker wrote:So I have noticed that every roller coaster I have ridden has staff checking restraints, but they also have someone usually in a room with windows just watching what the others are doing. What is that persons job?

As I say, the only GP question is the question not asked.
know.gif


Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron