NEWS: City Museum Sold to Premier Parks

Unique St. Louis attraction takes on new owners
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: City Museum Sold to Premier Parks

Postby prozach626 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:25 am

I remember when City Museum was in its infancy and it had very little to offer. It was mostly a few sculptures and a climbing structure or two. People love it, but oddly no one I know, including myself, ever visits. I'm about thirty minutes away and I haven't been in ten years. No desire to go back anytime soon, but it seems like people from out of town love it.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:03 am

For those that don't keep score, Premier Parks owns a bunch of smaller regional water parks in North America, as well as Wild Waves, Elitch Gardens, and Magic Springs. They also own Pacific Park at the Santa Monica Pier.

One would think that there had to have been some clauses in the agreement to keep the character of the City Museum intact. Also, the continued success and "one of a kind appeal" of Pacific Park, another small regional attraction that's important to the local community that it resides within, makes me think that Premier Parks won't completely ruin the City Museum. We'll see, of course.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Delicious & Refreshing

Re: NEWS: City Museum Sold to Premier Parks

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:59 am

I'm visiting for the first time next weekend... Now more than ever I feel like it'll be a good time to visit, since I feel like it may not be the same experience in a few years.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:10 am

A.J. wrote:For those that don't keep score, Premier Parks owns a bunch of smaller regional water parks in North America, as well as Wild Waves, Elitch Gardens, and Magic Springs. They also own Pacific Park at the Santa Monica Pier.

One would think that there had to have been some clauses in the agreement to keep the character of the City Museum intact. Also, the continued success and "one of a kind appeal" of Pacific Park, another small regional attraction that's important to the local community that it resides within, makes me think that Premier Parks won't completely ruin the City Museum. We'll see, of course.

I'm not really sure Pacific Parks success is due to anything other than the fact the Santa Monica Pier is a famous landmark. The most significant thing the park has done since it opened was replace the ferris wheel.

Now if they put a kick A$$ roller coaster in the space currently occupied by the trapeze school....

Heck, It's probably more famous now as a Pokemon Go hotspot than for the amusement park...

Postby A.J. » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:51 am

Jew wrote:I'm not really sure Pacific Parks success is due to anything other than the fact the Santa Monica Pier is a famous landmark. The most significant thing the park has done since it opened was replace the ferris wheel.

I guess the point I was trying to make about Pacific Park was that being operated by Premier Parks hasn't seemed to ruin it. People still love going there. It still has that appeal.

Granted, it's a slightly different situation in terms of ownership, I guess Premier Parks now fully owns the City Museum. Call me an optimist but I feel like less changes will happen on the front and and more will happen behind the scenes. The Post-Dispatch article said that Premier Parks also wants to leverage the talents of the City Museum artists for some stuff at the other parks.

I know that, generally, indie park acquisitions = bad, but I'm willing to play the skeptical optimist role on this one.
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:02 am

A.J. wrote:I guess the point I was trying to make about Pacific Park was that being operated by Premier Parks hasn't seemed to ruin it. People still love going there. It still has that appeal.

There was never anything remotely risky about Pacific Park. That was place always "played it safe" as it's basically a small Morgan coaster with an assortment of off-the-shelf Zamperla-like kiddie rides. The park could practically run itself as far as the attractions go and the safety of those rides.

City Museum is a totally different type of animal.

We always said that City Museum only existed because corporate America and lawyers hadn't discovered it yet...

...and now they have.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby JeromyL » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:09 am

robbalvey wrote:
We always said that City Museum only existed because corporate America and lawyers hadn't discovered it yet...

...and now they have.

I might need to sneak over there before anything changes and check it out.... if its not too late...
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/1ca0001026f6d685dfa4545ede364cfc.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:46 am

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:The best we can hope for is that nothing changes. There's no chance this improves it at all, and a pretty good chance it loses what made it special.

robbalvey wrote:We always said that City Museum only existed because corporate America and lawyers hadn't discovered it yet...

...and now they have.

Exactly how I see it too. Part of what I love about the City Museum is the inherent risk. I think both times I have been there I came away with injuries that could be considered concerning to lawyers, but was just "lol, City Museum".

Dammit, where else can I go to get slide burns that cover my entire hip? (I do have photo evidence but don't think I should post)
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Postby prozach626 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:50 am

Is there any kind of short waiver you have to sign to enter? Either that, or I seem to remember some kind of disclaimer written on the wall. I could be wrong.

Postby A.J. » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:09 pm

From what they have listed on their website, the big one is the age restriction. Anyone under 16 years of age has to be accompanied by someone 18+, and they verify this with an ID check. As part of their policies, adults "are responsible for [their children's] conduct and well being". Then there are various minimum / maximum height and age restrictions for certain slides and ball pits.

See for yourself: https://www.citymuseum.org/visit/policies-and-restrictions/

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!