Hoppedup's Roller Coaster Adventures

Holiday World, KK, KI, CP!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Hoppedup's Roller Coaster Adventures

Postby jynx242 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:03 am

It's awesome that you guys get to do this! That is a TON of quality time right there. I hope to do this kind of thing with my little guy when he gets older (he's 3 now and loves the coasters and rides he can ride, but not tall enough to warrant a road trip :))

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby hoppedup » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:03 pm

jynx242 wrote:It's awesome that you guys get to do this! That is a TON of quality time right there. I hope to do this kind of thing with my little guy when he gets older (he's 3 now and loves the coasters and rides he can ride, but not tall enough to warrant a road trip :))

I wish we had gotten in to coasters earlier. She's 17 now and it's tough getting time away with a teenager with a driver's license and their social schedule. Hopefully she keeps taking at least a week or two every year to ride coasters with her pops. Since our first trip in August 2017, my coaster count has gone from 7 to 137, and that's skipping Wild Mouse coasters and some clones.
Parks: 21 | Coasters: 142 | Wood: 39 | Steel: 102 | Fiberglass: 1

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:52 am

Nice reports of the midwest parks!

Out of curiosity, was the midcourse trim off on your morning ride on Voyage?
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Funtown U.S.A. & Palace Playland

Postby hoppedup » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:47 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:Nice reports of the midwest parks!

Out of curiosity, was the midcourse trim off on your morning ride on Voyage?

Thanks. Pretty sure it was. I remember slowing just a bit before one of the tunnels on the return trip. Now I think I have to go back for Holiwood Nights.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:53 am

Ah ok. For the first morning ride on Day 2 of Holiwood Nights, the trim was off but it came back on later. I wasn't sure if they typically did that in the morning.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan

Postby hoppedup » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:26 pm

Kings Dominion August 10, 2019

I took a 4 day weekend and decided to go to BGW, KD, or SFA or a combination of the the three on my way (not really) to Kennywood. KD won a coin toss so I was off early on Saturday to the Old Dominion. I will preface this report by saying that almost two years ago to the day, I rediscovered roller coasters after a 22 year hiatus. On that first day back, I305 was my third coaster. Volcano was a big surprise, as I really didn't know about launch coasters. But I305 was something else. My daughter and I only rode it once as it seemed too forceful and intense.

Fast forward two years (and 135 coasters) and I returned eager to look at I305 with a new perspective. I loved my first ride so much, I stayed on and rode again. Then I took a turn in the front row and then last row. The lines were light all day. This coaster has jumped from near the bottom of my list to a definite top 20 for me. Raise hell, praise Dale! I popped back in for re-rides throughout the day.

13290479.jpg

After lapping I305 a few times, I boogied back to Twisted Timbers. I don't know if it had been down and reopened as I walked up, but it was a five minute wait! On a Saturday in August. A second ride required a 25 minute wait. What a great RMC. Cedar Fair, please give Carowinds' Hurler this treatment. The red card/metal detector didn't seem to slow the ops too much, if at all. They were painfully slow last year when we dropped in just for night rides on TT.

13293534.jpg

I also got rides on Avalanche, Windseeker, Anaconda, Grizzly, Racer 75, and Flight of Fear. Backlot was down the entire time I was there. And a 16 oz. Trapezium DIPA for $9.99 at The Parched Pig. Score!

20190810_151828.jpg

It was a nice day at a great park. I almost bought FL+ when I saw the crowd at the entrance, but glad I didn't as I got plenty of rides with reasonable waits. Oh yeah, RIP this beautiful beast:

20190810_140819.jpg

I then did a little sightseeing around Richmond and started getting psyched for the next day at Kennywood.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:28 pm

Nice report! I was surprised during my visit they still had that billboard up for Volcano.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!