Will we ever see a comeback of water rides at dry parks?

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Re: Will we ever see a comeback of water rides at dry parks?

Postby DirkFunk » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:37 am

HellboyBegins7492 wrote:I understand their is an article over on screamscape that talks about why the theme park modern water ride has become an endangered species check it out over on blooloop.

https://blooloop.com/water-rides-theme-parks/

Lance Hart seems like a nice guy, but I can't stand his writing on Blooloop. It's pretty much always bad. Social media has an effect on killing water rides? Interesting logic jump. Seems like the more obvious possibility is that the rides removed are old.

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:52 am

Some people fight me on this argument i make, but from my observations, far more guests hate getting wet than I've seen guests who like getting wet. Particularly when you have to wear street clothing and are not wearing a bathing suit. It just doesn't compute that you could have a steady diet of water rides when guests hate to get water on them.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:59 am

You live in Florida right?

Here are Splash Mountain’s wait times for the last 7 days:

10567776-B1C3-47A9-8E78-C76FC3A9A26F.jpeg

... are we done here? It briefly pulled ahead of Flight of Passage a few times for longest queue at the resort and it’s capacity is ridiculous.

Your argument is likely just based on personal preference. Water rides (except those horrible splash boats) are extremely popular rides and maintain that popularity essentially forever.

You could also go down the street to SeaWorld where (most of the time) the coasters will all be walk-ons but Atlantis and Infinity Falls usually have a decent sized line. You could also go to Busch Tampa where Stanley Falls and Cheetah Hunt are the only reasons that we ever buy Quick Queue (the rapids generally have a a line too but I’m not about that life).

If it’s moderately warm out flume rides pretty much always have some of the longest lines at any park that has one (even ones with a turntable and pretty solid capacity).

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby SixFlagsAstroworld » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:17 am

I see where Lance is coming from, but I think water rides are a far cry from "endangered".
Coaster Count: 108
Check out my latest project: Six Flags Cypress Adventures
HARD ROCK PARK Coming to Chaos Crafter 2019!!

Postby coasterbill » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:25 am

That article begins with the premise that water rides are being removed because they’re unpopular and anyone who’s been to an amusement park lately knows that’s ridiculous. They’re popular, they’re just expensive to run and maintain and they take up a lot of room.

If they were unpopular you would see pay-per-ride parks removing them too but for some reason that pretty much never happens (again... aside from stupid splash boats). Hell, those parks keep buying new ones... I wonder why that is. :lol:

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:15 am

I think it just comes down to how good the ride is. When the original Arrow flumes opened, most parks didn't have the coaster collections that they do today. So a flume that was once one of the best rides in the park is now not quite as exciting.

Larger parks can keep water rides as headliners by going with more exciting layouts or better theming (see Splash Mountain, Ripsaw Falls, Popeye, Infinity Falls, Chiapas, Timber Mountain, etc). At smaller parks, your average water ride still stands out. Take Canobie for example. Their shoot the chutes got its own themed area and is one of the park's headliners. It's still incredibly popular 20 years later.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Postby Hilltopper39 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:26 am

Just another observation but since I've been going to parks with my kids more recently I've noticed that most, not all, but most water rides tend to have a little bit of a lower height restriction and it's pretty cool to the smaller kids to get to experience a "bigger" ride when they're that little. Personally I don't care to get soaked head to toe but the little ones love a log flume or a rapids ride so we have to hit them every time, even when it's 45 degrees and overcast at Dollywood, worth it.

Personally I don't think the removals have anything to do with popularity, it has to be a /safety/operational/and ultimately a financial issue.

Postby coasterbill » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:33 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:I think it just comes down to how good the ride is. When the original Arrow flumes opened, most parks didn't have the coaster collections that they do today. So a flume that was once one of the best rides in the park is now not quite as exciting.

I honestly don't even know if it matters, people just want to get wet. Lagoon's flume does absolutely nothing and it had the longest line in the park all day when we were there. The same went for Darien lake before they got rid of theirs (that one was awful). I'm actually having a hard time thinking of a regional park where the flume doesn't routinely have a long line. Even Dorney's flume usually gets a 5-10 minute line which (for Dorney) is pure insanity. :lol:

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:57 am

That's true. If it's shorts weather, they'll have a line almost anywhere. I guess my point was more towards marketability. At a smaller park like Funtown USA or Story Land, they will have the flume prominently featured on brochures or commercials.

I actually liked Darien Lake's flume...

Fingers crossed that doesn't trigger that thread to migrate here.

Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

I donut like this custom title :(

Postby yay101 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:30 am

The only ones I can see are the Mack Power Splash rides like Pulsar at Walibi Belgium. They have a smaller footprint and look really appealing, and I could see more parks including them. Maybe a few parks will buy a water coaster. I don't see a huge wave of either of those though because most people go to waterparks to get soaked, and they would rather stay dry a dry parks or ride the already-existing water rides if there are any.
Favourite Coaster: Steel Vengeance
Other Favourites: SkyRush, Storm Chaser, Lightning Run, Magnum XL-200, Voyage, Apollo's Chariot, Phoenix, Outlaw Run, and Storm Runner

Obsessed with S&S Screamin Swings

If Magnum XL-200 dies we riot

Hello Kitty is not a cat. Hello Kitty is god. You exist only at Hello Kitty's pleasure. Crawl like drugged roaches before her splendor

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!