Been there. Done that. Now what?

What international parks should I visit in 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Macaroni and Donkey

Re: Been there. Done that. Now what?

Postby coasterBro » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:46 pm

robbalvey wrote:I just don't understand how you walked away from some of the rides that you did going "meh."

I mean, sure, Formula Rossa may not be the most OMFG amazing ride "overall" but HOLY CRAP that launch is seriously one of the most intense coaster moments I've experienced. Second only to DoDonpa.

But you said both of them were not that much better than other things you experienced.

I don't know what to tell you. I have NEVER experienced a launch like DoDonpa anywhere else.

And in a year where I rode Do-Dodonpa, Formula Rossa, Xcelerator, Top Thrill Dragster, and Kindga Ka, I enjoyed the launches of Formula Rossa & Do-Dodonpa less than the other three. I was surprised. But it is what it is. Do-Dodonpa is still a great ride. Formula Rossa isn't. And that's okay.
Current count: who cares

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:50 pm

You made it to 700 coasters, which involved research or planning, most of which I'm assuming you did on your own. That's pretty much expert level. You really don't need our advice about where to go. If you do, you're like the guy who has worked his same job for 40 years, knows the in and outs, but still sucks at it.

You want to experience a park where you can have fun, relax, and enjoy attractions for what they are? Spend a shit of time and money researching yourself where to go overseas. Or you can just go to Knoebels...

Thread lock seems imminent. I'm hurting my eyes by reading this.
Last edited by prozach626 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:51 pm.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:50 pm

As a suggestion for a Europe park to visit: Efteling Park in The Netherlands.

Has a good selection of coasters and unique rides all through it. But for myself, it
has space to walk through, and not be overwhelmed with rides, etc. And it's
landscaping is some of the best in any theme park I've been to, overseas.

Maybe you should get into appreciating how a park can be, without it's rides/coaster.
You're just 30. Lots of time to alter your perception of parks, and how they can be
more appreciated when you get older, and without riding too much. :wink:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:55 pm

I'd have to agree with most of what's being said here. It's nice to see you actively trying to change the way you look at parks and roller coasters, but unless you seriously reevaluate your expectations, it seems as if you're just bound for more disappointment. None of the 2019 North American coasters (including Copperhead Strike, West Coast Racers, Maxx Force, Steel Curtain, etc) interest you? You hate El Toro? You just have to forget pre-conceived notions / reviews and go in expecting to have a fun time. You do that, it'll be great.

Side note: I never knew I needed a crocheted TV set with Pitfall on the screen until this moment.

I also agree with Nrthwnd - Efteling was one of the highlights of our honeymoon this summer. It'd serve as the perfect litmus test for you. None of the coasters are "OMFG WHAT WAS THAT" (although Joris en de Draak was running bats**t insane thanks to Europe's hottest summer in 50 years), but there's so much else to appreciate at that park that I can't see how anyone can walk away less than impressed.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby prospekt88 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:01 pm

I don't know about you but when I go to a park I've been to multiple times, it's always fun going with people who have never been before. Maybe revisit some of the best parks you've been to and share them with someone who has never been to them.

I never got to the point you got to, I mean I've never even been on an RMC so how could I, but I did lose interest along the way in counting coasters. I much rather turn parks into multi day vacations than checklist items. Some of the best park/accommodation combos for me are Hershey/Hershey Lodge, Cedar Point/Breakers, Knoebels/Campground.

Finally I've never been on an international trip for coasters, but I feel like I'd approach it the way you mentioned. Parks would just be excursions along the way. The trip at the top of my list would be Copenhagen->Stockholm->Gothenburg. Visit three great cities, see beautiful rural countryside, and Tivoli/Kolmarden/Liseberg are definitely not "credit whore" stops.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:02 pm

coasterBro wrote:
robbalvey wrote:I just don't understand how you walked away from some of the rides that you did going "meh."

I mean, sure, Formula Rossa may not be the most OMFG amazing ride "overall" but HOLY CRAP that launch is seriously one of the most intense coaster moments I've experienced. Second only to DoDonpa.

But you said both of them were not that much better than other things you experienced.

I don't know what to tell you. I have NEVER experienced a launch like DoDonpa anywhere else.

And in a year where I rode Do-Dodonpa, Formula Rossa, Xcelerator, Top Thrill Dragster, and Kindga Ka, I enjoyed the launches of Formula Rossa & Do-Dodonpa less than the other three. I was surprised. But it is what it is. Do-Dodonpa is still a great ride. Formula Rossa isn't. And that's okay.

You're getting defensive.

No one is arguing with you.

You asked for advice.

We are giving it.

I think you need to find another hobby.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby coasterBro » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:22 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:As a suggestion for a Europe park to visit: Efteling Park in The Netherlands.

Thanks for the suggestion! I forgot to include a Netherlands + Belgium trip in my list of options, but it looks like that needs some serious consideration too.

michaellynn4 wrote:None of the 2019 North American coasters (including Copperhead Strike, West Coast Racers, Maxx Force, Steel Curtain, etc) interest you? You hate El Toro?

I made special trips for a lot of the 'new-for-2018' coasters and thought it wasn't the best decision in hindsight. For the 'new-for-2019' coasters, I'll wait till I have reason to be in those areas again and go from there. As to El Toro, the lapbar causes a significant amount of pain that I do not enjoy. T-Express does not have that issue and is my #1 woodie.

prospekt88 wrote:I don't know about you but when I go to a park I've been to multiple times, it's always fun going with people who have never been before. Maybe revisit some of the best parks you've been to and share them with someone who has never been to them.

This is a great suggestion. I do love riding a new ride with someone for the first time and experiencing that with them, especially if it has a crazy surprise they aren't expecting.

robbalvey wrote:You're getting defensive.
No one is arguing with you.
You asked for advice.
We are giving it.
I think you need to find another hobby.

Apologies. I wound myself up a bit there. Thanks for giving your advice.

I am legitimately considering finding a new hobby, but I still would love to hear from people who have visited European parks what they have enjoyed and recommend. I think I can be fine with most reasonably good coasters as long as I don't let myself hype them up as being the best thing ever. If I can enjoy them for what they are, I should be good. Tempered expectations allow for a pleasant surprise vs a ride being a letdown.
Current count: who cares

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:33 pm

Another park suggestion: A lot of in-city parks in Scandinavia are worth visiting.
For myself, some of the best in-city parks I have ever been to, in the world!

Tivoli in Copenhagen; Linnanmaki in Helsinki; Grona Lund in Stockholm.

These are three of the best ones, IMhO. :smile:

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby coasterer » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:36 pm

For what it's worth, what has helped me find a good balance was to travel primarily around opportunity (work, cheap flights, visiting friends, etc), appreciating first and foremost the people, places, culture, food, etc. I don't really travel for coasters at all anymore. If I'm in a place and it happens to have a coaster worth riding, I am there with bells on. Most of the last few countries I've been in didn't have coasters worth riding, or they were in parts of the country that were inconvenient for me to get to based around what I was doing or what I wanted to see - so I didn't ride anything. It's an adjustment from maybe 5-8 years ago, but it fits my lifestyle and interests now and I actually get much more out of the world than when I was more into chasing coasters.

Of the places you mentioned, Scandinavia was my favorite. I studied abroad in Copenhagen and loved the whole region. Summers there are magical. Italy, France, and Spain were all places I super enjoyed in spite of their insane levels of hype (I can get jaded too). Katun (and iSpeed) in Italy are enough to put that at the top of my recommendation list. Just go enjoy Italy and throw in Mirabilandia and Gardaland. I super enjoyed Port Aventura in Spain, (and who doesn't love Spain??) Neighboring Portugal is all the rage right now on travel lists (but I've never been), or throw in Morocco too (which is great!). I love old CCI's, so Parc Asterix is high on my hit list, and I wasn't able to hit it when I was in France, so next time I'm there (if I'm ever there again) that's where I have my sights set. I really really enjoyed the Netherlands as well, and there are some very noteworthy coasters there (Goliath at Walibi is one of my all time favorites). Poland pleasantly surprised me though I was there very briefly and well before the coaster boom, and Germany was very pleasant and convenient (it would make a great place to live, but was less interesting for me as a visitor) and has some big ticket draws. I am not the biggest fan of either the UK or Australia, but obviously to each their own, I can name 10 friends right now that disagree with me.

For me, if I can find any woodie, any B&M, an RMC, or a major Intamin within striking distance, I'll make the effort and have a great time. But my list of favorite countries is very separate from the countries that contain my favorite coasters. I know you're still looking to travel based around high-quality coasters, but the shift from coasters to people/places really helped me not burn out.
Last edited by coasterer on Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:40 pm.
Favorites: Voyage, T-Express, Goliath (WW), Medusa Steel Coaster, Boulder Dash, Katun, I 305, El Toro, Storm Runner, Mega-lite, Shivering Timbers, Alpengeist, Millennium Force, Thunderhead, Nemesis, Skyrush, Prowler, Atlantis Adventure, Thundercoaster, Maverick, Jungle Storm, Cornball Express, Behemoth,

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:38 pm

...and with in-city parks, like Tivoli, you also have the advantage of the city itself to enjoy!
With probable good night time stuff/events going on, including awesome restaurants, etc.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!