Been there. Done that. Now what?

What international parks should I visit in 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Been there. Done that. Now what?

Postby robbalvey » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:15 pm

AdventuresinAirtime wrote:Treating theme parks and rollercoasters like a checklist seems like a bizarre way to enjoy a hobby.

Exactly the reason why we stopped counting coasters. The moment we stopped doing that, I feel like I started to enjoy parks more. We would spend more time at places we liked: Europa Park, Disney, um.... Europa Park... :p :lol:

...and spend less time worrying about trying to get another Wacky Worm coaster in.

I can't speak to his level of being underwhelmed though. I cannot imagine someone walking away from DoDonpa, Formula Rossa, or Kawasemi going "meh." Even if they didn't live up to expectations, they are still some FANTASTIC rides that I could ride over and over again and not be bored or underwhelmed in the slightest.

If you're that level of jaded, just being honest here, not much is going to impress you, and if you're just looking to be BLOWN AWAY by every single ride, instead of just going and having a good time, then this hobby is probably outworn it's welcome for you.

I mean, I don't particularly find rides like B&M hypers to that exciting or do much of anything for me... but I'll still go and ride Apollo's Chariot for example, many times and have "FUN" on it. I'm not always looking to ride the world's #1 coaster every single ride I take. That's just not realistic.

mark549 wrote:"First world problems."

Really? The guy asks legit question and brings up some valid points wanting some advice and this is the best you can do? Try again.
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:33 pm.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby coasterBro » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:43 pm

robbalvey wrote:
AdventuresinAirtime wrote:Treating theme parks and rollercoasters like a checklist seems like a bizarre way to enjoy a hobby.

Exactly the reason why we stopped counting coasters. The moment we stopped doing that, I feel like I started to enjoy parks more. We would spend more time at places we liked: Europa Park, Disney, um.... Europa Park... :p :lol:

...and spend less time worrying about trying to get another Wacky Worm coaster in.

This is exactly the transition I'm trying to make. I got locked into this 'must do all the coasters' mindset that sucked the life out of me, and I don't want to keep doing that.

robbalvey wrote:I can't speak to his level of being underwhelmed though. I cannot imagine someone walking away from DoDonpa, Formula Rossa, or Kawasemi going "meh." Even if they didn't live up to expectations, they are still some FANTASTIC rides that I could ride over and over again and not be bored or underwhelmed in the slightest.

I think my biggest issue was walking in with unrealistic expectations. I was going into Do-Dodonpa & Formula Rossa expecting launches that were noticeably stronger than ones I'd experienced before. Do-Dodonpa was still a great ride; the launch just didn't live up to my 'greatest launch ever' hype. Formula Rossa was a bigger letdown: given that it launches straight into brakes, I'd be shocked if it's actually still being launched at 149mph, and then the rest of the ride just didn't do anything for me (like a faster version of Superman: Ride of Steel but with no actual airtime). Kawasemi was really fun, and I'd happily marathon it, but I was expecting the airtime to be OMFG intense based on the hype. I'll ride and enjoy a Mega-Lite anywhere I run into one, but I wouldn't necessarily plan a trip with one as the 'destination coaster'.

robbalvey wrote:If you're that level of jaded, just being honest here, not much is going to impress you, and if you're just looking to be BLOWN AWAY by every single ride, instead of just going and having a good time, then this hobby is probably outworn it's welcome for you.

I mean, I don't particularly find rides like B&M hypers to that exciting or do much of anything for me... but I'll still go and ride Apollo's Chariot for example, many times and have "FUN" on it. I'm not always looking to ride the world's #1 coaster every single ride I take. That's just not realistic.

I think what I really want is to make sure that any trip I plan has at least a coaster or two that *will* blow me away somewhere during the trip. Hopefully the bulk of the coasters will fall into the 'FUN' category, even if they aren't necessarily mind-blowing. And then not waste time credit whoring at parks whose best coaster is a wacky worm or a boomerang.
Current count: who cares

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:57 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:I find myself wanting to go back to the good parks again and again. I don't need a new "credit" to justify going back to a park I love. Holiday World had zero new "credits" when I revisited last year and we had a blast.

Novelty is overrated. There are a lot of places that will show you a good time if you go in with the right attitude.

Fantastic advice, and I agree 100%.

No offense, but 700 credits sounds exhausting. I don't even know what I would get out of reaching a tangible number like that or having to find the newest fix. You might just want to relax and enjoy yourself. I don't understand the point of this hobby if you can't re visit a park and appreciate it for what it has. For us, first visits aren't nearly as fun as revisits, because there are no goals the second time around.

Honestly man, it sounds like you've burned yourself out. Give it some time off before you hit another park, maybe?

Also... I still laugh at the term, "credits."

robbalvey wrote:It pains me to read stuff like this....

Find a new hobby.

If you're this jaded that you can travel all over the world and still be underwhelmed...

Find a new hobby.

I also read a little further and agree with Robb's post.

Why is the OP asking advice from people when he's ridden over 700 coasters, anyway? Most of us have only ridden a couple hundred, if that. I also can't help but detect a slight undertone of bragging here.

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:07 pm

As everyone else has said, I think you should change your completionist outlook to this hobby and perhaps take a step back to reflect on the things you have enjoyed so far. Go about it wanting to have fun, instead of needing to "check all of the boxes." There's nothing wrong with returning to a place you've already visited to re-experience things you really enjoy or may have previously missed.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby coasterBro » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:13 pm

So either I really sucked at explaining my issue in my posts or people are just not reading what I actually wrote/asked.

I am trying to move *away* from credit whoring and *towards* meaningful experiences at new places overseas. This is *not* in place of whatever domestic park I might want to go spend a day or two at for grins and giggles. This is trying to figure out a plan for my big vacation and soliciting advice/suggestions about international parks, primarily in Europe.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby steamedturtle » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:23 pm

prozach626 wrote:For us, first visits aren't nearly as fun as revisits, because there are no goals the second time around

Really good point. Whether you count your credits or not, I think most people feel a certain pressure on first visits. But second+ visits are so much more relaxing.

And to OP's point, I can relate to the extent that I still count and keep a log, and I have a desire to go to every park in the US with a ride worth riding. Sometimes I even want to go somewhere just to say I've been, if only to myself. But where I depart, is I always try to have fun and maintain a positive attitude. I try to enjoy every ride for what it is, and never expect too much from any ride.

Postby prozach626 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:32 pm

It's good that after reading more it's being clarified that you're trying to change the way you look at the parks. That said, I still think you would benefit most from taking a break for a few months until you really get that urge. My wife and I embrace the off season, because not only does it give us a chance to save more money..., but it also renews our appreciation that recharges from January - May.

If you have legitimate OCD, then it seems like your coaster count is a symptom of that. In all seriousness, maybe you should bring that up with your doctor. Try to find something to do that relaxes you more, without getting to wrapped up in it. For the love of God, though... not golf or fishing... You'll drive yourself insane. Maybe something where there are no tangible results. Fuck it. Just find someone to go to the beach with for a week and, if you must, count your drinks and how many times you get laid...

Sometimes I feel the need to get better and better at ice hockey. I get the compulsive need to do better, because I think I need to put up more points to have fun. I always think of ways I can change it up to do better in order to feel better about myself. When I get to that level, I hang up my skates for a while until I have such an urge to lace them up that I just enjoy being on the ice again. Sometimes, this takes months.

You may not think you need a break from it all and that very well may be the case. However, there's no way it won't help restore some appreciation. Give it a rest for a bit.

Good luck.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:38 pm

coasterBro wrote:So either I really sucked at explaining my issue in my posts or people are just not reading what I actually wrote/asked.

No, we all read it, but as I explained before, I just don't understand how you walked away from some of the rides that you did going "meh."

I mean, sure, Formula Rossa may not be the most OMFG amazing ride "overall" but HOLY CRAP that launch is seriously one of the most intense coaster moments I've experienced. Second only to DoDonpa.

But you said both of them were not that much better than other things you experienced.

I don't know what to tell you. I have NEVER experienced a launch like DoDonpa anywhere else. So if those two rides don't impress you... seriously...

Give up.

Throw in the towel.

Take up knitting a television.
938249b34f76f0f1c582062cb2627240.jpg
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:40 pm.

Postby prozach626 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:42 pm

Yeah, if you can't enjoy rides such as Robb mentioned, then I don't think you're going to get much enjoyment anywhere you go. I reiterate, hang em up for a while. You asked for advice. Listen to it.
Last edited by prozach626 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:45 pm.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby coasterBro » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:43 pm

prozach626 wrote:It's good that after reading more it's being clarified that you're trying to change the way you look at the parks. That said, I still think you would benefit most from taking a break for a few months until you really get that urge. My wife and I embrace the off season, because not only does it give us a chance to save more money..., but it also renews our appreciation that recharges from January - May.

If you have legitimate OCD, then it seems like your coaster count is a symptom of that. In all seriousness, maybe you should bring that up with your doctor. Try to find something to do that relaxes you more, without getting to wrapped up in it. For the love of God, though... not golf or fishing... You'll drive yourself insane. Maybe something where there are no tangible results. fudge it. Just find someone to go to the beach with for a week and, if you must, count your drinks and how many times you get laid...

Sometimes I feel the need to get better and better at ice hockey. I always think of ways I can change it up to do better in order to have more fun. When I get to that level, I hang up my skates for a while until I have such an urge to lace them up that I just enjoy being on the ice again.

You may not think you need a break from it all and that very well may be the case. However, there's no way it won't help restore some appreciation. Give it a rest for a bit.

Good luck.

Just to clarify: it was only *some* of the parks that I was going into with a creditwhoring mindset, and those were mostly the parks whose best ride was a wild mouse or a boomerang or some other fairly meaningless coaster. A significant number of the parks I visited this year were with the express intention of just having a good time (most of which I had been to before).

I tend to need a coastering fix every 5-6 weeks or so before I start getting antsy. Last weekend I was out in LA for work and spent some fun time at Knott's and DLR, and I'll be ringing in the new year at BGT. Beyond that, who knows.

I admittedly went a bit overboard in 2018, and I am *not* looking to repeat that in 2019. What I *am* looking to do is have some semblance of a plan (or at least a couple options) put together for where I might want to take my big vacation next year so I can keep my eyes peeled for good travel deals between now and then. This is for a trip that I likely won't take till the middle to end of the summer (if it's a place that has a big new-for-2019 ride), though it's possible it might make more sense for certain locales and deals to go at a different time.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!