Been there. Done that. Now what?

What international parks should I visit in 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Re: Been there. Done that. Now what?

Postby kenban » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:44 am

Go and find something else to do with your time and money. I think you have been too obsessed with coasters and should take a break.

Go to Australia and SCUBA dive the Great Barrier Reef. Cruise ship to Alaska. River boat down one of the rivers in Europe to visit Christmas markets. Raft the Grand Canyon. Visit Japan in the spring and go to local festivals while the Cherry Blossom trees bloom. Take a safari in Africa. Spend a few days walking around Venice.

There is a huge world out there which does not involve roller coasters. If you are finding it that hard to find a park you want to visit find something else for 2019. The parks will still be there in 2020 or maybe you will find something else you enjoy even more.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby Invertalon » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:36 pm

Reminds me of a girl I work with... She literally heads on an international trip monthly, usually alone, just so her and her boyfriend can "tick" countries and see who visits the most (he travels a lot for work, so they don't really go on these trips together).

Yet when she comes back home, almost every trip she goes on sounds horrible in some fashion... Complaining of poor accommodations, her flights, that she was sick, her tours weren't any good, it wasn't as good as "insert other country here", the food wasn't good, too tourist/busy, the list goes on...

It's like, why travel then? If you can't find enjoyment in doing such things, change it up. Nothing worse than someone humble bragging about their endless travels to amazing locations around the world and hearing nothing but complaining about it.

So I have to agree with what others have said... It sounds like you "been there, done that", so just chill and wait until something tickles your fancy again and motivates you to go somewhere. Compound hobbies or something. I personally don't go crazy to visit parks anymore, so our trips more focus on other side hobbies as well... Breweries, Zoo's, natural landmarks/hiking, halloween 'stuff' (witch stuff in Salem, Mass for example, or New Orleans), etc... Makes the trips a bit more fulfilling.
-Steve

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby scooterdoug » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:54 pm

You seem to have made coasters your primary goal over the last several years, and now that isn't working for you any more (which isn't surprising). Perhaps make coasters secondary? The world is a fascinating place. I backpacked Europe after graduating college, before I became a full-blown coaster enthusiast. I didn't visit a single park, and it remains the best trip I have ever taken in my life. Instead of looking at the world solely through the lens of parks and coasters, see what else there is to do in a certain area, plan the trip around that, then see what intriguing coasters and parks are nearby. You mentioned Scandinavia and Great Britain. Those are both interesting places, with tons to see and do that have nothing to do with roller coasters. If you plan a trip to Scandinavia solely for Wildfire and Balder, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. However, if you plan the trip to see Scandinavia itself, and have a 2 or 3 amusement parks tucked in there, your trip would be so much more fulfilling.
To use the Scandinavia example again, the entire region is fascinating. The big cities (Stockholm, Copenhagen, Oslo, Bergen) are all delightful. You can spend days wandering each one and not be bored. There are culinary delights abound, and Norway has some of the most dramatic natural landscapes I have ever seen. If you go to see these things, but also make room for Wildfire and Lisberg, I think you'll have a much more well rounded and fulfilling trip.
So, that's my two cents. Like Robb said earlier, it pained me to read your first post. There is so much to see in this world, and limiting yourself to coasters and amusement parks is doing yourself a disservice. Pick a country or region that interests you, and visit, adding convenient coasters as a complement to your explorations. Or, let the coasters zero you in on a region, then see what else (non-coaster) the area has to offer. Just don't limit yourself to coasters.
Aikido: Why fight when you can flow?

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby coasterBro » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:43 pm

Lots of great feedback here. I do want to clarify a few things, because I didn't phrase some things well in my initial post:

First, a lot of my problem stems from having to slog through a bunch of parks/coasters where I knew I wasn't going to have fun simply because of my compulsion to finish the US. Now that I'm pretty much done with that, I would like to cut the credit whoring to a minimum. That means focusing on the coasters that are going to wow me and not spending a bunch of time at parks riding wacky worms or boomerangs or SLC's, etc. If a park's best coaster is a Eurofighter, I could probably find something better to do with my time (unless it's a really incredible Eurofighter). I want to prioritize cool, unique, historically-significant, and/or really fun coasters.

Fundamentally, coasters are my excuse to go travel somewhere. Coasters are not all I do when I get there. They make a good anchor to base a trip around, but they are not the be-all/end-all.

I have done a lot of cool non-coastering things in the places I've traveled to, and I intend to do the same on any future trips.

I'm not going to go to Scandinavia and only ride roller coasters. But I would like to know what roller coasters besides Wildfire & Balder are going to be noteworthy. Or if there are parks that I'd be better off skipping to do something else that day because none of the rides are all that special or interesting.

Britain could easily be two trips. But I'm just not very familiar with the coasters that are there. I've heard that Nemesis is awesome, and Smiler is obviously noteworthy for its inversion count, but what are the other major highlights? I feel like I've heard that a lot of the rides are shorter/more basic versions of things we have in the US because several were prototypes, but I don't know how those truly compare to what I've known and ridden.

A lot of my angst with the international coasters I've ridden has come from improper expectations. I was expecting to be blown away by the launches on Formula Rossa & Do-Dodonpa, and they were good but not incredible. Maybe they were just having bad days, but I probably had built them up to be unattainably amazing, hence a bit of a let-down. I had also heard about how amazing and insane Mega-Lites are, and maybe it was just having a bad day, but I didn't think Kawasemi lived up to that hype. Was it fun? Yes. Did it make me want to jump on a plane and go ride all the other Mega-Lites? No. Flying Dinosaur was every bit as crazy and intense as expected, but it's not a coaster I want to (or could) marathon. Steel Dragon 2000 was just as great as I had hoped. Cyclone at Toshimaen was a really pleasant surprise that came out of nowhere. Takabisha was way better than I expected, and I'm very excited they're building a clone in NJ. T-Express was an awesome surprise that blew me out of the water. I felt like I had always heard Blue Fire hyped up, but I was underwhelmed by its clone in Dubai. And so on and so forth. Proper expectations are important. And I know next to nothing about most international coasters. So I really want to know what the truly destination-worthy parks/coasters are.

I'd like to emphasize, though, that being underwhelmed by certain coasters (or not being interested enough in them to want to go back and ride them again) in no way reflects on my overall enjoyment of said trips. I would, however, like to plan my trips with more time spent at parks with coasters that are likely to be good and less time spent at parks where I'm just credit whoring and know going in that nothing is going to wow me. If anything, that is my biggest takeaway. I will find the other fun things to do that are non-coaster-related. But for now I still need the core of the trip to be coaster-related to plan around.

I intend to go back to Japan in ~2021 or so. I do not intend to go back to the UAE. I would like to go back to Korea at some point, but it isn't urgent. I would like to wait for the theme park industry in China to stabilize a bit before planning a trip there.

I do want to do a Scandinavia trip. And a Britain trip. And a Germany trip. And a France trip. And a Spain trip. And a Poland trip. And an Australia trip. And so on. But nothing is really jumping out to me at the moment for what to prioritize for next year. But I don't want to plan a 2019 trip through a region that has a major new coaster already known to be coming in 2020 or 2021 (yes, I know that could happen anywhere, but it's one thing to go somewhere and then have them build a new coaster, but it's another thing to plan a trip knowing that their new hotness will open right after your visit).

Hopefully that helps clarify a bit. Thanks for all your responses!
Last edited by coasterBro on Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:27 pm.
Current count: who cares

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:43 pm

coasterBro wrote:...a lot of my problem stems from having to slog through a bunch of parks/coasters where I knew I wasn't going to have fun simply because of my compulsion to finish the US...

I think this is the definition of a "credit whore." You weren't riding the coasters to enjoy them... You were riding them to get your coaster count as high as possible... And where has that gotten you in life?? (Not trying to sound rude) But it seems like you "forced" yourself to do something that doesn't really matter to 99.99% of people. Take a break from riding coasters and do other stuff. I don't really know what you are expecting from us? It's like you are "asking for advice," but it really just comes across as you bragging about everything you've done in life, and how many coasters you've been on... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You've clearly burned yourself out on parks/coasters and need something new to do. Try knitting. I hear it can be a great hobby.
Bigger is not always better.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby coasterBro » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:11 pm

DoinItForTheFame wrote:
coasterBro wrote:...a lot of my problem stems from having to slog through a bunch of parks/coasters where I knew I wasn't going to have fun simply because of my compulsion to finish the US...

I think this is the definition of a "credit whore." You weren't riding the coasters to enjoy them... You were riding them to get your coaster count as high as possible... And where has that gotten you in life?? (Not trying to sound rude) But it seems like you "forced" yourself to do something that doesn't really matter to 99.99% of people. Take a break from riding coasters and do other stuff. I don't really know what you are expecting from us? It's like you are "asking for advice," but it really just comes across as you bragging about everything you've done in life, and how many coasters you've been on... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You've clearly burned yourself out on parks/coasters and need something new to do. Try knitting. I hear it can be a great hobby.

You've obviously missed the part about the compulsion to "complete" the US and the part about specifically *not* wanting to credit whore any more when traveling overseas. There were lots of things I did enjoy, but I did not enjoy parks where I was only there to have visited the park and ride a bunch of mediocre coasters. I want to find places internationally where I'm not just there to have ridden the rides to check them off but will actually enjoy the cool/unique/awesome rides for what they are. My actual credit count at this point is largely meaningless except to establish context. The other stuff only came up because everyone kept telling me to do other things besides coasters, which I already do.

And picking up a new non-coaster related hobby is still an option on the table.
Current count: who cares

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby XII » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:33 pm

My biggest piece of advice is to not put off a trip because you're worried that they're going to get something new for 2020 or 2021. Parks are always gonna be adding something new. Sure, if it's a place you've been before, you can wait for a big announcement, but I highly recommend going to a really cool place you've never been before, even if they're gonna get something new next year.

For instance, Nagashima Spaland is getting Hakugei next year, but I don't regret not putting off Japan for a second to wait for it. Sure, it'll probably be really good. But it's just yet another thing to look forward to when coming back to Japan.

You've already listed 7 trip ideas that are all really good contenders. I highly suggest just picking one of them and doing that next year without worrying about if they're gonna get something for 2020 or 2021. Even if a park gets something new after you visit, just another reason to go back.
Last edited by XII on Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:18 pm.
Just because yours is smaller doesn't make you less of a man. Unless we're talking about your brain.
http://www.incrediblecoasters.com

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby AdventuresinAirtime » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:49 pm

Treating theme parks and rollercoasters like a checklist seems like a bizarre way to enjoy a hobby.
They are places and attractions literally designed and built for peoples enjoyment.

If you're not enjoying something, why do it? Coaster counting and "creds" are one of the worst parts of being part of theme park commnities to me. I just like to enjoy myself and ride cool stuff myself.

For example, in the last year i've been to Japan and California, I went to the major parks and theres lots of coasters and rides I missed - because they were kids rides or just boring clone coasters. No regrets!
Adventures in Airtime Theme Park Podcast:
www.adventuresinairtime.com

Adventures in Airtime on YouTube:

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby LiftThrill » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:51 pm

Sounds like you’re burned out from how much coaster stuff you did this year. Take a break and do other stuff, if you feel the need to come back to parks then go ahead and if you don’t then you don’t.
1. Fury 325 | 2. Millennium Force | 3. New Texas Giant | 4. Outlaw Run | 5. Maverick | 6. Twisted Cyclone | 7. Iron Rattler | 8. The Voyage | 9. Goliath (SFGAm) | 10. Time Traveler

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby mark549 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:04 pm

"First world problems."

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!