Been there. Done that. Now what?

What international parks should I visit in 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Macaroni and Donkey

Been there. Done that. Now what?

Postby coasterBro » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:39 pm

EDIT: Since people are having trouble with understanding what I'm asking, here's the TL:DR version:

I've spent the last several years mixing credit whoring with meaningful theme park experiences and have now basically finished the US, Canada, Mexico, Japan, the UAE, and South Korea. I am trying to decide if it's worth it to me to keep exploring international destinations for my big vacations or if I'm too jaded to enjoy the coasters I might find over there.

I had some bad experiences with poorly-set expectations resulting in disappointment at some of the international parks I've visited. I would like to make sure I understand what rides actually are the top-tier rides that have a good chance to still wow someone who has ridden a crap-ton of coasters, and figure out what parks/coasters might be better skipped.

Destinations under consideration include the UK, Germany, Scandinavia, France, Spain, Italy, Poland, & Australia. None of these places has particularly jumped out at me as of yet, and I am looking for suggestions from people who have visited these places. I would prefer to not visit a park in 2019 that is already known to be adding a possible top-tier ride in 2020/2021 as there are plenty of other places to go for now.

I still intend to make the occasional weekend jaunt to a domestic park here or there but do not intend to make a multi-day/multi-park trip out of it as I have in the past. And when I am in whichever foreign locale, I will certainly find other non-coastering things to do to experience that country and their culture (as I have done in the past).

I've also considered trying to find a new hobby.

/EDIT
Last edited by coasterBro on Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:23 pm.
Current count: who cares

I know more about donkeys than women!

Re: Been there. Done that. Now what?

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:57 pm

Just take a trip to Disney and relax.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby JG-77 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:11 pm

Have you done Germany? It probably has the best coaster collection of any single European country, with GeForce, Karnan, Taron, as well as Europa Park which from what I hear is one of the best overall amusement parks in the world (even if the coasters themselves aren't top ten or anything).

Also have you considered China? The most coasters in any country in the world, including Mega-Lites, a gigantic Intamin hyper, a lot of really good looking B&M's nobody talks about, a lot of really cool parks nobody talks about, and a surprisingly diverse lineup of other assorted Intamins, Gravity Groups, GCI's S&S launchers, and some really cool looking new Vekoma's in the coming years (also more Intamins).
One thing to keep in mind about China though is that area-wise it's larger than the size of the continental US, so unfortunately you'd probably need multiple trips or crazy amounts of time if you wanted to hit all the highlights.

Finally, I've heard really good things about DC Rivals, which may put Australia on your radar.
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Honorarius » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:25 pm

Why go for new experiences you may or may not enjoy, when you can go re-experience some places you've already been??? Think back to some of your favorite trips, and go again...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:50 am

I find myself wanting to go back to the good parks again and again. I don't need a new "credit" to justify going back to a park I love. Holiday World had zero new "credits" when I revisited last year and we had a blast.

Novelty is overrated. There are a lot of places that will show you a good time if you go in with the right attitude.

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:37 am

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:I find myself wanting to go back to the good parks again and again. I don't need a new "credit" to justify going back to a park I love. Holiday World had zero new "credits" when I revisited last year and we had a blast.

Novelty is overrated. There are a lot of places that will show you a good time if you go in with the right attitude.

Probably the best quote to ever exist on TPR.
Bigger is not always better.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby coasterBro » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:31 am

Thanks for the responses. I have a mild form of OCD, so there was a certain pressure to "finish" the US that drove me a little the last couple of years. The rest of the world doesn't seem to have that same appeal (probably because of a combination of it just being so vast and also not seeming to have a ton of new coastering experiences).

Honorarius wrote:Why go for new experiences you may or may not enjoy, when you can go re-experience some places you've already been??? Think back to some of your favorite trips, and go again...

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:I find myself wanting to go back to the good parks again and again. I don't need a new "credit" to justify going back to a park I love. Holiday World had zero new "credits" when I revisited last year and we had a blast.

2018 was an insane year for me, but I also spent time at BGW, SDC, Knott's, DLR, BGT, SWO, & SFOG just re-riding favorites. Since I was just at a lot of these parks, I don't know that I want to spend a bunch of vacation time going right back.

But I do have a Sea World Platinum Pass, and I will make it down to BGT/SWO for a quick weekend jaunt here and there. I'm also sitting on a crap-ton of Southwest miles, so it's nothing to go pop up somewhere for a weekend if the mood strikes me, but I just don't have a burning desire to right back to most of the places I just went to this year.

xVicesAndVirtues wrote:Just take a trip to Disney and relax.

Oddly enough, my original thought for 2019 was to pick up a WDW AP and make several runs at the Parkeology Challenge (riding all the rides at the resort in a single day), but I don't know that I want to spend $950 for that (really the Gold pass is all I need, which would save me $300, but I'm not a Florida resident and don't particularly have any interest in trying to fake it to game the system).

JG-77 wrote:Have you done Germany? It probably has the best coaster collection of any single European country, with GeForce, Karnan, Taron, as well as Europa Park which from what I hear is one of the best overall amusement parks in the world (even if the coasters themselves aren't top ten or anything).

Also have you considered China? The most coasters in any country in the world, including Mega-Lites, a gigantic Intamin hyper, a lot of really good looking B&M's nobody talks about, a lot of really cool parks nobody talks about, and a surprisingly diverse lineup of other assorted Intamins, Gravity Groups, GCI's S&S launchers, and some really cool looking new Vekoma's in the coming years (also more Intamins).
One thing to keep in mind about China though is that area-wise it's larger than the size of the continental US, so unfortunately you'd probably need multiple trips or crazy amounts of time if you wanted to hit all the highlights.

Finally, I've heard really good things about DC Rivals, which may put Australia on your radar.

Germany is compelling. Not sure if it could be done in one go or would need two trips though. Anything major already announced (or rumored) for 2020/2021?

I get the appeal of China, but I'm in kind of a wait-and-see holding pattern for now. I think there's still a lot of stuff to be built, and I want to wait for things to settle down a bit before heading over there. When I do eventually go, I'm going to focus exclusively on the major parks w/ rides from reputable manufacturers. But even still, it could be several weeks over multiple trips because there's just so much.

Australia & South Africa are two oddball destinations I've had rolling around in the back of my head for if I saw a super cheap airfare deal, but South Africa is a hot mess so that's been shelved. For Australia, I'd need to come up with more stuff to do to round out that trip beyond just the couple of major parks.
Last edited by coasterBro on Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:24 pm.
Current count: who cares

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:52 am

It pains me to read stuff like this....

coasterBro wrote:So what's next? I have absolutely no idea.

I can't say I have any compelling drive to go to any parks in particular or a strong desire to go ride specific rides in particular.

There were a few other coasters in Japan that I did quite enjoy, but I could live without them.

Nothing in the UAE was very good

I'm unlikely to be wowed by much in Britain

I'm not really interested in going to China

I could also do a Scandinavia trip but I don't know what there would be compelling to me.

Any suggestions?

Find a new hobby.

If you're this jaded that you can travel all over the world and still be underwhelmed...

Find a new hobby.

Postby bert425 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:54 am

not sure I'll be any "help" here, as this is a weird post to me.

We bought Six Flags passes, and other than touring multiple parks with TPR on the 2018 USA tour, and a one day trip to Marineland in Canada, the only parks we go to are in Texas. (and even that's misleading, as we went to SFoT *once* this year, but have been to Fiesta Texas many times).

heck, was just back at Fiesta Texas on Wednesday for likely my 12th visit this year. and we only rode a handful of things.
there wasn't really anything "new" to get us to *want* to go back -- we just decide to drive down for the day, and go.

I just like to go to wander around, people watch, and enjoy the atmosphere.

so I guess my advice would just be to view any park as a "vacation" and relax and have fun.
treat it as a break from the real world, after all. . you're in an amusement park. . .and just revisit whatever you feel like.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:29 am

Yeah, anytime a hobby becomes this stressful then just walk away from it. You're over thinking and over doing it bro. Try finding people to enjoy going the parks with but the attitude you have shown (in one post) towards . . . good luck.

But to answer your initial question if you've reached the end of your enthusiasm I would say yes because you don't sound enthusiastic about going to the parks and just enjoying them for face value at all.
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!