Reawakening of Bushkill Park - to re-open in 2019

Page 3: Update from November 24th visit
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Reawakening of Bushkill Park - to re-open in 2019

Postby larrygator » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:40 pm

Sorry for not posting in here for awhile. Structural work continues on the Fun House restoration, but there are delays moving full steam ahead. In the meantime, focus has shifted to bringing back the dark ride.

Last week I drove out to Bushkill Park to help John Cory and Chuck Burnham unload Chuck's dark ride parts that he brought down by U-haul from Connecticut. Many of the stunts and props were already unloaded and brought to Chuck's workshop before I arrived, so I got my hands dirty and did some heavy lifting unloading the truck.

We unloaded over 400 foot of track and 6 pretzel cars that last ran at Williams Grove in Dante's Inferno. There were plenty of other props stashed in the truck that we also unloaded. Since I was covered in dirt and grime most of the time I did not take a lot of photos.

The plan is for the dark ride to run on the footprint of the old Haunted Pretzel dark ride. The minimize the effects of future floods, the new version will be built higher off the ground with a flood channel underneath the structure. There is optimism that the Dark Ride could can operating over the summer, but limited resources at a small park and any type of delay causes deadlines to move.
20190407_144827.jpg
Did I really volunteer to help move this stuff, it looks like hard work?
20190407_144833.jpg
Those track pieces are heavier than they look.
20190407_151145.jpg
One of the pretzel cars that was saved from the 2004 flood. Before unloaded these 6 pretzel cars, Bushkill only had 2 dark ride vehicles on site.
20190407_154535.jpg
John and Chuck doing the heavy lifting of the one car without a chassis. Those elephant tusks looking things on the left hand side are the bumper from the pretzel cars and damn are those heavy.
20190407_154540.jpg
You need to turn start and stop the ride.
20190407_160233.jpg
One of the props
20190407_165819.jpg
and before we knew it (actually 3-4 hours later) the truck is empty.
20190407_163437.jpg
and the storage shed is full.
20190407_165850.jpg
Parts of an Eli Ferris Wheel that will be re-purposed.
20190407_170344.jpg
And just so we don't forget the fun house is still a work in progress.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:58 pm

^ Geez, I hope all you guys got your tetanus shots. :wink:

Just kidding, but still. Looks like a lot of rust, there.
BushkillPark.png
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby ScreaminNewEngland » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:18 pm

So awesome to see this!

How's the Whip and the scrambler looking? Are there any plans to restore them?
Yankee Cannonball <3

Postby larrygator » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:22 am

ScreaminNewEngland wrote:So awesome to see this!

How's the Whip and the scrambler looking? Are there any plans to restore them?

I know that they have the parts and plan to restore the whip. I'm not sure what other flat rides are in the works.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby ScreaminNewEngland » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:52 pm

^ Great to hear! Last time I heard they had the scrambler and whip still on property. It would be so cool to see those and the bumper cars return one day!

Is the Haunted Pretzel building under construction or are they waiting to finish the fun house first?
Yankee Cannonball <3

Postby larrygator » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:27 am

Construction of the Haunted Pretzel building will start soon, at the same time structural work continues on the Funhouse building,

Postby larrygator » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:57 am

It was a busy weekend at Bushkill Park. Volunteers were at the park, most of the volunteer work involves painting - fence pickets, ride platforms, benches, picnic tables. Trees were also recently planted for additional shade in the park

The Funhouse is cleaned out and prepping is being done for the installation of props and tricks, thanks to John Cory. Some tricks need to be cleaned up, others need to be fixed and lastly some need to be recreated.

Over on the Haunted Pretzel, a manager and operator of a major dark ride has been offering Chuck his assistance in any matters. Unfortunately, Chuck's electrician (Mike Raffensburger) passed away a few months ago. Mike was the electrician who installed the original Williams Grove rolling stock and modified the hot lane in 1985. Mike was excited about the chance to work on his old ride again and shared many stories with Chuck. One thing Chuck is planning is to incorporate Mike's idea to have rolling hills on the ride. Additional info on the pretzel plans will be revealed soon

During the current phase Chuck is working on the Haunted Pretzel plans, restoring props/tricks and facade of the Funhouse while also chipping in on the Whip.

John Cory continues to work on wiring and rebuilding the smaller rides along with major tasks within the Funhouse.

The park's historian. Kelly Feathers, also volunteers quite a bit at the park (she has been doing this for years) and is finishing up her book on the history of Bushkill Park. I will provide info on the book release and pre-ordering information when that is available.

The US has lost so many old trolley parks over the past 3 decades, it's nice to see one coming back.
Last edited by larrygator on Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:01 pm.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:16 pm

^ Thanks for the updates, Larry. And so sorry to read about Mike's passing. :sad:
But it's great to read that they're going to put one (or more) of his ideas into
the rebuild of the Haunted Pretzel. Very cool way to honor him.

And for anybody interested in this, like myself, there is a website the park has....

http://www.bushkillpark.com/ ~ although all they have now
is the Home Page of the site. So...Bookmark it for the Future!

:smile:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby TheDarkQueen » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:24 am

Hi Larry!! This is Stephenie. I met you at Wild Bills while on Chucks previous projects. My husband, Dave, and I are still right by Chucks side giving our support and input. He is working incredibly hard with all the current projects at Bushkill Park, with the help of his girlfriend, Colleen, and John. I wanted to throw out there that I helped broker a deal for Jeremy to purchase a skyfighter ride. So hopefully once they open, that will be something else for everyone to enjoy. The Dark Ride Artist is BACK!! He’s got the determination to complete this and has a great support system backing him up! Sorry we missed you when we got the uhaul out there.

Postby larrygator » Thu May 02, 2019 8:10 am

Stephenie - I know I missed meeting up with you and Dave, by after 15 minutes, a few Sunday's ago.
Last edited by larrygator on Wed May 08, 2019 8:01 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!