Mini kings island and Kentucky kingdom photo trip report

A weekend visit to 2 theme parks.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Mini kings island and Kentucky kingdom photo trip report

Postby thrillrider » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:34 pm

Time for some kings island goodness!

No matter how many times we visit this park, we want to return as soon as we leave. Cp may have the bigger coasters, but we seem to have a more enjoyable time at kings island. It has a certain charm to it.

We were able to enjoy all of the coasters(and multiple rides on several of them), without fast lane. We were also able to do several spin and pikes as well. Our timing seemed to be off as far as the shows go, but we were able to check out blood drums and were not disappointed.
I took my last spin on firehawk, and honestly can say that it won't be missed by me. The xflight paint was peeking through the firehawk paint, and the ride was in ruff shape. I'm really curious to see what comes of this ride. They had flowers under the sign to pay respect.

The only bad experience we had at the park was with food operations(no surprise). We chose reds dinner, and wished we didn't. It took over 45 minutes for our food to arrive, and we were missing the chicken from my salad. After finding an employee that actually knew anything, I was told that they were out of chicken. I then asked for my dinning credit back(we have the meal plan on our passes) so I could go elsewhere, and was told that they couldn't credit it back. I got stuck eating a nasty, dry burger that I had to wait another 15 min for. Never again are we eating at this place.

Onto some pictures.....
20180928_230939.jpg
Welcome to Haunt at kings island.
20180928_234644.jpg
RIP Firehawk
20180928_235615.jpg
Pumpkin eater is a new fright zone this year.
20180929_213319.jpg
Front gate.
20180929_214809.jpg
So this is what has become of Banshee's gift shop.
20180929_234409.jpg
I love amusement parks at night.
20180930_000259.jpg
Blood drums is a great show.
20180930_003102.jpg
Kings island has a power tower as well.
20180930_114553.jpg
A few shots of the antique car construction.
20180930_130653.jpg
20180930_130639.jpg
20180930_155905.jpg
Vortex is not going anywhere
20180930_160136.jpg
But does need some new paint.
20180930_130825.jpg
20180930_135059.jpg
The same cant be said about this ride..
20180930_135104.jpg
Nice touch.
20180930_125953.jpg
Midlevel torture device.
20180930_130036.jpg
Just look at everybody blocking the sun from there eyes.
20180930_143759.jpg
The timbers that are mystic was running great.
20180930_142552.jpg
Diamondback doing its thing.
20180930_131848.jpg
Beautiful day, beautiful park.
20180930_135404.jpg
I still enjoy this ride, even with the midcourse bringing you to a stop.
20180930_152947.jpg
The waterpark is transformed into a family friendly Halloween activities zone.
20180930_160142.jpg
The beast was kicking A$$!
20180930_144022.jpg
The train is always a good way to get off your feet for a bit.
20180930_141332.jpg
That's it from kings island! Maybe I'll have a few more pictures soon.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby prozach626 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:03 am

Thrill... I say this with absolutely zero hostility, but I seem to read consistent complaints about food operations from you. Why in the world don't you try alternatives to eating shitty park food and waiting all day for food?

I'm telling you, Emily and I have nailed our formula of packing a cooler lunch and leaving for dinner. I know people say that taking a cooler on road trips over several days is a pain, but it's not. We bought about one bag of ice per day and drained the cooler once per day. That's also taking into account that we pack our cooler really healthy, so almost all of our food needs to be cooled.. Also, it seems to take way less time, or about the same, to leave for dinner. It might be cheaper as well if you get fast food, which is comparable to park food, if not better.

Nice TR. I agree with you in that I enjoy Kings Island in the summer way more than CP.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby dmh1079 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:16 am

I still almost got clocked in the head by a cell phone.

Glad you didn't get hit. Yikes. Nice TR!
Top Ten: El Toro, Steel Vengeance, Voyage, Intimidator305, Maverick, Iron Rattler, Millennium Force, Kumba, Top Thrill Dragster, Montu

Postby thrillrider » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:51 am

prozach626 wrote:Thrill... I say this with absolutely zero hostility, but I seem to read consistent complaints about food operations from you. Why in the world don't you try alternatives to eating shitty park food and waiting all day for food?

I'm telling you, Emily and I have nailed our formula of packing a cooler lunch and leaving for dinner. I know people say that taking a cooler on road trips over several days is a pain, but it's not. We bought about one bag of ice per day and drained the cooler once per day. That's also taking into account that we pack our cooler really healthy, so almost all of our food needs to be cooled.. Also, it seems to take way less time, or about the same, to leave for dinner. It might be cheaper as well if you get fast food, which is comparable to park food, if not better.

Nice TR. I agree with you in that I enjoy Kings Island in the summer way more than CP.

Its more about covinance. We have 3 kids, and we have the dinning plan. There really is no excuse why the food service is so bad at cedarfair parks. Kentucky kingdoms food lines moved at a decent pace, but the prices were outrageous. I can deal with and expect high prices at a theme park, but it's a little outrageous that a pulled pork sandwich and a side of fries cost $20. Even Disney has cheaper food prices. It takes more time to leave the park to get a meal(even in the car) with 3 kids, than to stand in the horrendous lines at kings island. Not to mention, I have a bad foot and it's a lot more walking to go all the way out to the car.
As far as food goes, we enjoy park food(for the most part), and only really eat that type of food while we are at the parks. At home, it's all about healthier options. =)

We also bring snacks like grapes, and orange slices for the kids.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby prozach626 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:13 pm

Gotcha. I figured it was along those lines. Just something to consider in the future in case your plans get worse. I guess without little ones slowing us down things happen a lot quicker and are more convenient.

Postby thrillrider » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:35 am

prozach626 wrote:Gotcha. I figured it was along those lines. Just something to consider in the future in case your plans get worse. I guess without little ones slowing us down things happen a lot quicker and are more convenient.

Other than the food situation, the park was a blast! Cant wait to revisit the Christmas event.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby thrillrider » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:36 pm

dmh1079 wrote:
I still almost got clocked in the head by a cell phone.

Glad you didn't get hit. Yikes. Nice TR!

Thanks.
Yea, some people will never learn. I hope it was a real expensive phone, and they didn't have insurance on it.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:58 pm

Nice report! That's a great use of the water park this time of year.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Disneyland & Scandia

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:38 pm

I didn't realize how much years of sun have dulled Firehawk's red paint job down to brown...

Thanks for sharing this great report! I really do have to get back to Kings Island eventually... The last time I went I was able to ride Son of Beast with a loop.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Postby thrillrider » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:21 pm

^ Vortex looks just as bad in spots.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!