Long Beach Cyclone Racer Rebuild Inches Forward

Your help is needed to make this a reality
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Long Beach Cyclone Racer Rebuild Inches Forward

Postby XII » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:34 am

I'm very skeptical of these claims that the Long Beach Cyclone Racer coming back. I don't think that $70,000,000 is enough to build what is being proposed and I have literally heard nothing about this idea until just now. Plus, as already mentioned, I don't see this as being profitable. Though I would love to be wrong about this.
Just because yours is smaller doesn't make you less of a man. Unless we're talking about your brain.
http://www.incrediblecoasters.com

Postby coasterbill » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:43 am

bill_s wrote:
Despite its menacing appearance, Cyclone Racer would fall under the category family coaster. The ride was not so intense as to take away the thrill of the race. Shallow radius valleys provided strong G forces while wide long hilltops were designed to give the rider just a hint of weightlessness. Up until the 40’s there were no lap bars present in the trains.

Doesn't sound like a very good choice of coaster to build completely from scratch.

After watching the POV of it I'll admit that my first reaction was "Why don't you just drive up the coast and ride Grizzly at CGA?". The nostalgia for this ride is strong but I'm curious as to whether or not people are looking at it through rose colored glasses. In the excitement and intensity department this thing might be bested by the Santa Monica West Coaster.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:45 am

hillflyer wrote:Wow. What I've heard about this site is true. Full of cynical haters.

I don't get how you can be on here and be so eager to disapprove of everything that doesn't have to do with you.

Understand that the skepticism comes from the lack of solid business information regarding funding and any acknowledgement that the city is officially considering these "plans." The amusement industry's history is full of examples of wonderful concepts, projects and entire parks announced (some with ground broken or entire rides or structures manufactured) only to have plans fall through or never even take off.

F1-X in Dubai had entire coasters onsite and ready to assemble before it fell apart. Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom had started preliminary work for an announced broadway-style show venue that ended up being cancelled and that space reverted to its previous use as a parking lot. The DreamVision company sprung up out of nowhere with two supposed theme parks planned by some notable industry veterans and yet, the "plans" were announced without the knowledge or involvement of any city officials in either of the planned destinations--and those involved have been involved in lawsuits related to the fizzled plans.

Cynicism comes from historical precedent. Few here on these forums would want to see a project fail or a scenario in which a new coaster (classic or otherwise) doesn't get built... But it doesn't take much effort to recognize that in this challenging industry, there are more projects that have failed to launch or to stick than those that have managed to stay afloat (if they've been lucky enough to be built).

I'm sure this coaster would be fun to see built but given the information presented, it seems like a long shot. That isn't meant to be cynical, rather realistic. Additional facts and sources showing legitimate city-engagement and funding might change our minds, but even projects that have supposedly had funding lined up (Schlitterbahn Ft. Lauderdale, Six Flags New Orleans/Jazzland redevelopment, Paramount London, etc...) have ended up not happening. It isn't unreasonable to believe that this project isn't one that will become a reality based on what we know so far.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby hillflyer » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:12 am

So, I’m starting fresh and clarify the purpose of this original post:

I’m not soliciting ill-informed OPINIONS.

This post was simply reporting the latest stage of where the possibility (POSSIBILITY = may or may not happen and even I have my doubts I’ll admit). I have NOTHING to lose by at least trying.

Nobody’s trying to sell anything here. Not trying to scam anyone. But please explain to me, what harm it is to YOU, (financially, emotionally, physically) to at least give a wave to someone who’s spent two decades on every facet of this project when you have not lifted a finger?
Not one single bit of kudos to Larry for his brilliant recreations and efforts.

I do not understand nor can comprehend this type of attitude, but I can tell with some it's impulsive.

Perhaps some of you are more comfortable being on the “popular side” that has the odds, afraid to be wrong, afraid of your name being dragged in the mud. Afraid of being laughed at on social media if you take a chance and support something fun and crazy. If you don’t want have anything to do with it, than shut up.

What ever happened to the spirit of the coaster enthusiast?

“My support will come when there are investors.”

SHOULD BE THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

That’s like saying, “I’m not going to spend $10 on a movie ticket unless I know if I like the ending first.” Potential investors, and they do exist, are waiting for the City of Long Beach’s decision but would love to see support!

Nobody cares if you’re of the OPINION that this won’t happen. I’m very aware of the odds, but let the people INVOLVED in this process (the city of Long Beach and Larry) battle this out. It’s not your work, it’s not your dream.

Someone told me, “Look out, you put anything about bringing back history on that site (TPR) and they’ll attack you like wolves on a bleeding sheep”. It's so bad, even people that would like to say something positive are afraid to say anything for fear to be reprimanded or banned from this site for God’s sake.

So the questions I need answers to:

1) What harm it is to YOU, (financially, emotionally, physically) to at least give a wave to someone who’s spent two decades on every facet of this project when you have not lifted a finger?
2) How does bashing the whole concept help (‘because that’s all I know how to do” is not an answer).
Last edited by hillflyer on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:27 am.

Postby hillflyer » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:13 am

boldikus wrote:
hillflyer wrote:Wow. What I've heard about this site is true. Full of cynical haters.

Insults are certainly going to get you support around here. Great job.

gold.gif

Yup, we'll you have to admit, I was not made to feel welcome here myself right from the git go.

Postby coasterbill » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:23 am

hillflyer wrote:the spirit of the coaster enthusiast

Yeah I don't have that.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Mike240SX » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:25 am

hillflyer wrote:Nobody cares if you’re of the OPINION that this won’t happen. I’m very aware of the odds, but let the people INVOLOVED in this process (the city of Long Beach and Larry) battle this out. It’s not your work, it’s not your dream.

You're the one who posted asking people who are largely not residents of the jurisdiction in question to contact some city council and support this project, and then now you ask for those who have no stake to keep out of it. Which is it?

hillflyer wrote:{The rest of this post}

You post something on the internet, you open it up to all kinds of commentary - positive, negative, off-topic, in-between. Sorry you didn't get what you were looking for.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 133
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Postby hillflyer » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:28 am

Mike240SX wrote:
hillflyer wrote:Nobody cares if you’re of the OPINION that this won’t happen. I’m very aware of the odds, but let the people INVOLOVED in this process (the city of Long Beach and Larry) battle this out. It’s not your work, it’s not your dream.

You're the one who posted asking people who are largely not residents of the jurisdiction in question to contact some city council and support this project, and then now you ask for those who have no stake to keep out of it. Which is it?

hillflyer wrote:{The rest of this post}

You post something on the internet, you open it up to all kinds of commentary - positive, negative, off-topic, in-between. Sorry you didn't get what you were looking for.

People who inherently think negative should stay out of it. I need to remember the miracle I had a part in 30+ years ago, and all these SAME things I kept hearing about and reading in the papers and just ignore it.
Last edited by hillflyer on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:32 am.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Mike240SX » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:30 am

Realism =/= Negativity
-Mike
Total Coasters: 133
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Postby hillflyer » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:33 am

Mike240SX wrote:Realism =/= Negativity

So answer my questions then.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!