Golden Ticket Awards 2018

Steel Vengeance is best new ride
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Golden Ticket Awards 2018

Postby coasterbill » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:21 am

larrygator wrote:Best Shows - SFFT still gets legacy votes based on it's Fiesta Texas days

Holy sh*t, I just now looked at the "Best Shows" category and that may be the absolute worst part of this entire poll. Dollywood is a perfectly respectable #1 assuming we're talking about stage shows and not nighttime shows, but if we're NOT talking about nighttime shows then how the f*ck is Fiesta Texas #2?

We went to Fiesta Texas this year knowing about their reputation for good shows but we didn't see one because every show was some crappy singing and dancing show with Six Flags quality vocals. Maybe they used to have good shows but they don't now except for their nighttime show which is stunningly good for Six Flags but I mean... if we're doing this based on nighttime shows then you all know Happily Ever After exists right (and probably tons of other Disney shows around the world that are also better)?

Also, how is Busch Gardens Wiliamsburg #3? I've never seen a show at that park that didn't make me want to leave early. If you think Busch Gardens Williamsburg has better shows than any Disney park, any SeaWorld park or even any Universal park (and their shows aren't even that great) then you really need to put the crack pipe down.

I get that these awards are bullshit, but if you honestly say with a straight face that Busch Gardens Williamsburg has better shows than every DIsney, SeaWorld (branded) and Universal park on earth then you should have your voting privileges revoked. :lol:

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:41 am

coasterbill wrote:
larrygator wrote:Best Shows - SFFT still gets legacy votes based on it's Fiesta Texas days

Holy sh*t, I just now looked at the "Best Shows" category and that may be the absolute worst part of this entire poll. Dollywood is a perfectly respectable #1 assuming we're talking about stage shows and not nighttime shows, but if we're NOT talking about nighttime shows then how the f*ck is Fiesta Texas #2?

And even as much as I do like Dollywood's shows, once you've seen shows like Finding Nemo: The Musical or The Lion King at Walt Disney World, I'm sorry, but those are very hard to beat. Even the Frozen Sing-A-Long is by far more entertaining that most other amusement park "shows."

Postby coasterbill » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:10 am

robbalvey wrote:
coasterbill wrote:

And even as much as I do like Dollywood's shows, once you've seen shows like Finding Nemo: The Musical or The Lion King at Walt Disney World, I'm sorry, but those are very hard to beat. Even the Frozen Sing-A-Long is by far more entertaining that most other amusement park "shows."

Fair point. I actually came in with the intention of defending Dollywood but in doing so I checked today's show schedule and realized that there are only two I'd have any interest in seeing and one is a bird show that we've already seen.

All but one of our visits to Dollywood have been for Smoky Mountain Christmas where they put on some spectacular shows and our other visit was then they had "Mother Africa" which actually played on Broadway for awhile and it was awesome but it does seem like a less respectable pick when Disney runs their shows all year and Dollywood only has shows that are comparable for 2 months out of the year (and even then you could argue that Animal Kingdom is still better).

Ugh... you win. Maybe the people who voted just really, really, really like Bluegrass music? :lol:

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:11 am

bill_s wrote:[I'll take an educated guess and say I can't afford to dine at Epcot either and neither can many others. Does that make us all "frightening"? Even other than me? Sorry not liking your implication here.

Yes, actually. If you seriously cannot "afford to dine at Epcot," considering the fact that

TENS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE DINE AT EPCOT EVERY SINGLE DAY

then IMO you shouldn't have a right to vote in a poll where people are making decisions based on "expert opinions" ranking ALL the restaurants at parks around the world.

I mean, how credible would Gordon Ramsey be, let's say, if he wrote a book on the "best restaurants in the world" but didn't include some of the best restaurants in the world because he couldn't afford to eat there!

Do you see now how insanely STUPID that sounds???

It would be one thing if the award was "Best Amusement Park Food on a Budget" but that's not what it is. It is simply "BEST AMUSEMENT PARK FOOD" so that should take into account everything from the cheapest funnel cake to Monsieur Paul.

And that being said, Epcot has plenty of different options that are all FANTASTIC ranging from lower cost quick service to higher end dining. My original comment was mostly in jest pointing out just how insanely obnoxious and stupid the Golden Ticket Awards are. And your post is equally as obnoxious and ignorant. Perhaps maybe you should know what you are talking about before you post here again.

Like, seriously? You can't afford to eat at Seasons or the China Quick Service restaurant or any of the Food & Wine/Flower & Garden booths? Or getting some amazing Chicken Katsu Curry at the Japan quick serve? Or maybe the French bakery or get apps at Spice Road Table? You do realize those places are CHEAPER and absoultely higher quality and better value for money than most Six Flags or Cedar Fair offerings right?

bill_s wrote:And Disney itself is more like a manufacturer of a luxury product which doesn't get reviews because they don't provide review samples and don't need reviews because they also have a full waiting list..

WHAT THE F**K ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!?!? Are you even aware that there are MORE DISNEY REVIEW SITES, Instagram feeds, Twitter feeds, blogs, etc, than ANY OTHER AMUSEMENT PARK or park chain in the world??? Like, have you ever looked at the Internet before??!?! Holy crap, I can't even believe someone would make such an ignorant statement. It blows my mind that i just read those words from one of our forum members. You guys are supposed to be better educated on theme parks if you're going post to Theme Park Review.

And what "waiting list???!" Honestly, DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT AT ALL!?!?!?

bill_s wrote:And even then, I'm sure voters in this contest wouldn't mind Epcot being put as #1 for best food if the "normal" list started at #2, but if the whole list became more about ranking the various Disney parks against one another it might not leave room for anyone else.

I don't even know how to respond to that clump of words. So basically what you just said is that the best food in amusement parks shouldn't be on the Amusement Today Awards because it's the best amusement park food.

THAT MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL!!!

I am seriously now dumber for having read your post.

Ugh, please do us all a huge, HUGE favor and get off our forum if you're going to make stupid posts.
Last edited by robbalvey on Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:24 am.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Comeagain? » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:17 pm

It could be run like the IAAPA brass ring awards, where most of the awards are broken up between several different ranges. Like Silverwood's magic show won Best Theatrical Production (annual attendance 250k-1 Million) in 2016, along with Legoland Malaysia (1M-3M), and Disneyland Paris (>3M).

Postby bert425 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:18 pm

agreed 100%

it's rare for us to bother with any shows at Fiesta these days, as they seem to be just recycling a lot of older ideas but not really updating or improving them. . . (or it's live music. . which is entertaining, although I wouldn't think those shows are good enough to win any "best of shows" awards).

As to the BGW shows, I enjoyed all the shows I saw on a recent visit there (Celtic Fyre, the Stomp!-like one, and the Festhouse one), and think the production values in Celtic Fyre are very good (at least the set is). . but yeah - no comparison to a Disney Show.

Disney should be wiping up the floor with the competition for "Best Show" category.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:54 pm

Comeagain? wrote:It could be run like the IAAPA brass ring awards, where most of the awards are broken up between several different ranges. Like Silverwood's magic show won Best Theatrical Production (annual attendance 250k-1 Million) in 2016, along with Legoland Malaysia (1M-3M), and Disneyland Paris (>3M).

I also feel like a separation between amusement parks and theme parks should be applied to basically any category for any "best of" awards outlet. While there is -some- cross-pollination between, for example, Knoebels and EPCOT in the "best / favorite park food" category, I do believe that they target very different demographics / clientele and should be treated as such. Now, granted, what constitutes an "amusement park" versus a "theme park" in this sense is another can of worms entirely.

I kind of like how the TEA does their Thea awards each year, they kind of vary the "best of" categories depending on the selection and judging of nominees.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:44 pm

I think we should get through just one "official" TPR Coaster Poll first! :lol: :lmao:

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby bill_s » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:55 am

robbalvey wrote:
bill_s wrote:And Disney itself is more like a manufacturer of a luxury product which doesn't get reviews because they don't provide review samples and don't need reviews because they also have a full waiting list..

WHAT THE F**K ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!?!? Are you even aware that there are MORE DISNEY REVIEW SITES, Instagram feeds, Twitter feeds, blogs, etc, than ANY OTHER AMUSEMENT PARK or park chain in the world??? Like, have you ever looked at the Internet before??!?! Holy crap, I can't even believe someone would make such an ignorant statement. It blows my mind that i just read those words from one of our forum members. You guys are supposed to be better educated on theme parks if you're going post to Theme Park Review.

And what "waiting list???!" Honestly, DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT AT ALL!?!?!?

That's exactly what I meant: Disney has plenty of advocates, which is analogous to a manufacturer selling something as fast as they can make them properly. You're misinterpreting me.

I agree my analogy doesn't add much except more words. What is significant is that analogies instantly spring to mind, or at least that everyone has seen plenty of polls and best-of lists with a focus and agenda and big flaws. These lists reveal much about those making them, which is the only reason they're of any use at all, they can be interpreted.

In further consideration, I think my analogy is also wrong. It's not a matter of advertising bucks, it's bias and preference. In ACE, if you're not big on wood coasters and funky little parks, you don't get to vote.

Also, believe me, I'm sorry for replying on this subject by now. Shouldn't have to be that way though.

Like, seriously? You can't afford to eat at Seasons or the China Quick Service restaurant or any of the Food & Wine/Flower & Garden booths? Or getting some amazing Chicken Katsu Curry at the Japan quick serve? Or maybe the French bakery or get apps at Spice Road Table? You do realize those places are CHEAPER and absoultely higher quality and better value for money than most Six Flags or Cedar Fair offerings right?

Good content. Actually, I can't afford to do much, but I would still read more about Disney being a good deal for those only slightly more affluent -- that's not really my impression from trip reviews I read here. I advocate that theme parks can be the best entertainment value for anyone with a local park.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby Dombot » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:19 am

1. Intimidator 305 2. Kumba 3. Twisted Timbers 4. Goliath (SFoG) 5. Mine Blower
6. Mako 7. Alpengeist 8. Twisted Cyclone 9. Montu 10. Mindbender

"If you trip me I will crumble and fall because I am a poorly structured building" ~Carson King

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!