TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2nd victim dies from Ohio State Fair

I had no idea where to post but the Fireball accident at the Ohio State Fair in 2017 has claimed another victim. My local news is reporting it as we speak.

I know rides can be dangerous at a fair or amusement park but as a park visitor I have trust that the secured locks/restrains will work. I know when I was at Kings Island a few weeks ago there was a kid let on a ride that he was obviously to short to ride. I don't remember which rode but O was shocked they let him on.

https://www.10tv.com/article/teen-injured-ohio-state-fair-ride-accident-dies

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no idea where to post but the Fireball accident at the Ohio State Fair in 2017 has claimed another victim. My local news is reporting it as we speak.

I know rides can be dangerous at a fair or amusement park but as a park visitor I have trust that the secured locks/restrains will work. I know when I was at Kings Island a few weeks ago there was a kid let on a ride that he was obviously to short to ride. I don't remember which rode but O was shocked they let him on.

Unlike you, I have absolutely no faith and do not trust temporarily set-up fair rides in the United States.

Unlike you, I have absolutely no faith and do not trust temporarily set-up fair rides in the United States.

I'm kinda not sure how to feel about this, I don't want to be negative and ruin something I like so much for myself, but all I can think is how it came out that the ride operator literally painted over a crack in the ride's arm to hide it instead of fixing it. I'm sure, of course, most aren't like that, but unless there's a way for riders to know who's taking care of their rides and who are pulling this crap...well...shit.

This is just such a terrible tragedy.

As an avid carnival ride fan, I still won't shy away from them. These rides get inspected even more so than the permanent ones, and it really bugs me that something like this was either overlooked or ignored. The only thing good coming out of this awful situation is it will change the way inspections are done and the way rides are built.

Terrible news. I think what this accident taught us was that even with established rides and ride companies, if they're just sold to some crappy carny that isn't doing the maintenance required, anything can happen. I wonder what happened to some of the other injured. IIRC there were some gnarly leg injuries.

This is where I'm at. I think, however, that my aversion to fair/carnival/FEC rides also partly stems from the time I peed myself on one when I was like 3 (it was those little cars that go in a circle).

Germany is the only place I could see myself going to a carnival/fair type operation to do anything other than eat/drink, should I ever make it out for an Oktoberfest.

^Respected Carny is an oxymoron to most!

Agreed. Saying you're a respected carny is like saying you're the tallest dwarf. While I very rarely ride these types of attractions, I always pick and choose very carefully any ride I will board at any US carnival or fairground because I simply do not think that any of them are remotely "respectable" in any way.

^Respected Carny is an oxymoron to most!

Agreed. Saying you're a respected carny is like saying you're the tallest dwarf. While I very rarely ride these types of attractions, I always pick and choose very carefully any ride I will board at any US carnival or fairground because I simply do not think that any of them are remotely "respectable" in any way.

Would you say the same about Europe out of interest? I know its a lot more regulated here especially Germany and the Netherlands

News here reported it was unrelated to the ride accident.

That's complete crap!

She suffered a traumatic brain injury that left her in a near vegetative state and had been in a long term care facility. Her organs slowly stopped functioning over the year. 100% due to the accident! It's similar to when people are horribly injured, and die 20 years later due to that injury. Sure it may be an unrelated organ or system that failed, but it's DUE to the original accident.