Hey Fatties! LISTEN UP!!!

Advice we always give about fitting on roller coasters.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Hey Fatties! LISTEN UP!!!

Postby robbalvey » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:35 pm

John Peck wrote:Valravn have one red belt in each row, Gatekeeper has the red belts in the 4th row. Raptor and Rougoru have the double seatbelt in row 4 and another row. I got on Valravn on Sunday, but had to walk off the Gatekeeper 4th row. I am able to just barely make any seat on Raptor and Rougoru.

Thanks for that. I didn't ride Gatekeeper on this last trip but I know I saw the double belts on Raptor and Rougarou. I rode Valravn a couple of times and I thought I saw them but honestly I might be confusing that for Griffon which I rode just a couple of days before and I know that had the double belts.

I can't speak for certain for the length of those belts but I know on Raptor, the normal seats are very snug on me and the big boy seat was not at all. I'm assuming there had to be at least another 2-3 inches on the Raptor belt.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby John Peck » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:48 pm

I think Griffon has the double belt on all three rows as well...

Raptor actually put the double seatbelts on for the first time in its history two or three years ago, so that was a nice surprise. The walk of shame is not fun... every eye staring at you... fortunately, I'm working at it. Occasionally I will try the test seat on the Intamins to see how close I'm getting, but those are too small for me.... i am shaped like a bowling pin, so I have very heavy legs and backside... I'm also 6 ft 1". so long legs can be an issue, too.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:29 pm

Everything Robb said in the thread is excellent advice that any heftier rider should take to heart. I managed to lose a little weight before our recent honeymoon, but I was still over 300lbs (6'0, broad frame / shoulders too), but out of five parks and 41 different roller coasters, there was only one that I wasn't able to ride (Colossus @ Thorpe Park, which I realized even if I lost a lot more weight it STILL would've been a stretch trying to fit on that thing), all from doing tricks and tips like the ones Robb listed. I always wear shorts, usually Under Armour gym shorts or cargo shorts with no belt, don't keep ANYTHING in my pockets, and will do the "sit all the way back, lower the shoulders, and exhale all the way" to get the last bit.

I can certainly empathize with people struggling to lose weight - it's definitely hard, especially when struggling with food cravings. However, at the end of the day, no one is responsible for myself and how I got to this weight but me. I absolutely hate when I see larger people behave so entitled and indignant when they ask questions like the ones discussed earlier in the thread. To be honest, I actually appreciate that manufacturers and parks have taken the unnecessary extra steps to be as accommodating as they are with providing seats with less-restrictive restraints. They don't have to do things like that, and if you're annoyed that you may need to sit in the middle of a train or have fewer options as a result, use it as motivation to take the weight off.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby CoasterAuditor » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:15 am

michaellynn4 wrote:I can certainly empathize with people struggling to lose weight - it's definitely hard, especially when struggling with food cravings.

Dude Pizza is the worst. I need to think "well the more I eat of this the longer it will take to ride Twisted Timbers" :lol:
I'm an accountant that's obsessed with roller coasters
Knoebels > Everywhere

1. El Toro 2. Intimidator 305 3. Phoenix 4. Millennium Force 5. New Texas Giant

118 Coasters
16 Parks

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby ripleybl » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:39 am

I logged 36,000+ steps and a little over 20 miles of walking this weekend at CP. An amusement park is a great way to get out and lose some weight if you hate going to the gym. Especially if you have a seasons pass to your local park. Just go to the park and have a nice steady walk to each ride and you can lose some weight that way. I lost 5lbs this weekend from my amusement park workout. I was 6'0 200lbs going into this past weekend and weighed myself yesterday morning and I was 195lbs. My height is still 6'0 though :lol:

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby redfoot12 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:45 am

As a rider of "exceptional size", I have taken that walk of shame many times.
Just to back up some of the things others have said, I had a bad experience opening weekend at KD this year, not only did I get denied on Twisted Timbers but I somehow didn't make it on I305. A friend from out of town was visiting the next weekend and I felt very cagey about meeting up with him and not being able to ride the two best rides in the park. I went anyway and was surprised to see that I was able to fit on both. I decided that my issue with not getting on I305 was primarily because of poor wardrobe choice and I got an excellent ride op for Twisted Timbers.
That said, I'm 6'2" and was weighing around 315-320 at the time. I went on a diet and exercise over the next few months and now don't even worry when I visit. I'm also pretty sure that without the weight loss I would have been denied on Wicked Cyclone last month.
I try to adhere to not taking my wallet, keys, and cell phone into parks.
I also know that my ideal weight for not getting denied any rides is around 260-265. If I'm above this I know I can't ride El Toro and SFA's Superman.
As mentioned, just serves as motivation!

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby JG-77 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:02 am

^Tip for SFA’s Superman since you mentioned it: The front row of each car has these black things in front of you that make it hard for some people’s legs to fit. If for whatever reason you have trouble getting into the seats with those things, then take the back row of the car, which doesn’t have them. Wish I had a picture to show what I’m talking about. My dad (~6ft, >300lb) couldn’t fit the seats with the black things but had zero problem in the ones without them. Idk if other Intamin rides have those as I’m not too well traveled.
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Lotologist492 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:41 pm

ripleybl wrote:I logged 36,000+ steps and a little over 20 miles of walking this weekend at CP. An amusement park is a great way to get out and lose some weight if you hate going to the gym. Especially if you have a seasons pass to your local park. Just go to the park and have a nice steady walk to each ride and you can lose some weight that way. I lost 5lbs this weekend from my amusement park workout. I was 6'0 200lbs going into this past weekend and weighed myself yesterday morning and I was 195lbs. My height is still 6'0 though :lol:

For a real theme park workout, try visiting a water park on a slow day. Carrying tubes up the steps over and over again and riding again and again with no wait is a real cardio workout!

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby Mr Stratosphere » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:52 pm

All of Robb's advise is terrific, and for The Stratosphere, X-Scream and Insanity in particular, I have a couple of pointers.
Follow all of Robb's advise, and if you are still having issues, cross your legs at the ankles, it gives you a bit more room for the restraints. Interactive Rides doesn't have too many of these seats and restraints out in the world, I can only think of X-Scream, Insanity and the one Tilt "Coaster" in the Philippines.

The ride attendants at Stratosphere are not allowed to push down the restraint on you, you have to do it by yourself, but in my experience in operating the rides, crossing your legs at the ankle gives you about an extra inch and a half in closing the restraints.

You're going to need a bigger Donkey

Postby Diamondbacker27 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:38 am

As a ride operator, I 100% agree with Robb. There's a ton of little things that prevent the restraints from engaging. PLEASE do not wear a fanny pack, I see probably close to 50 people everyday that wonder why their restraints aren't engaging and then I'll see that they have a fanny pack on. Also, make sure you're sitting all the way back, and that you're sitting up as straight as possible.
Wood-22
Steel- 84
Total- 106

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!