bert goes to Texas Theme Parks (mega thread)

8/2 SFFT visit. Riding the Joker for a Commercial shoot
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: bert goes to Texas Theme Parks (mega thread)

Postby bert425 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:31 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:I think they're the exact same. I have no issue getting the lap bar down, but I run into issues where to put my feet. On a few rides, I've had the bottom part of the lap bar staple my feet which isn't the most comfortable position.

you need to sit in front row, not back. Front gives you space to allow for crossing of legs a bit more than the 2nd row, where the bucket seats really lock you in.

but yeah, the bottom of the lap bar does have that "foam" that comes down on top of one's legs.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby JG-77 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:43 pm

^^Interesting, JJ has those side seatbelts too, though I've never seen anyone have an issue with them. Perhaps our seatbelts are longer or configured differently? Or perhaps I've just been blind, and there actually are walks of shame on JJ.
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 pm

Are there ever people at Six Flags America? :lol:
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Postby bert425 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:52 pm

JG-77 wrote:^^Interesting, JJ has those side seatbelts too, though I've never seen anyone have an issue with them. Perhaps our seatbelts are longer or configured differently? Or perhaps I've just been blind, and there actually are walks of shame on JJ.

I think the lap bar is slightly different, with JJ having a more modern one. . but yeah, very similar design.

Gives me an excuse to post one of my favorite pics from the TPR 2018 USA tour:

we were only in the park for a handful of hours, and the only ride with a line was the spinning mouse (Rajun Cajun?). . so the Flash Pass was worth it just to skip that long line.

had fun there, as it was a new park to me -- but wouldn't have gone out of my way to stop there if hand't been with the group :)
IMG_4969.JPG
Joker's Jinx front seat: pic courtesy of Robb's handheld camera
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby JG-77 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:19 pm

^That's actually an awesome photo :b
I wonder when that video will go up

Canobie Coaster wrote:Are there ever people at Six Flags America? :lol:

The dry park can get moderately busy during parts of the year (I actually had a handful of visits where almost all rides ran two trains!)

The waterpark, however...
HHcrowds.JPG
This is just one example of the insane crowds Hurricane Harbor can get. It's actually a fun waterpark when you're not in danger of getting trampled. Luckily that day I was only in HH to grab pics of the new Wahoo River

WR_Load1.JPG
Another photo showing the high crowds
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Postby bert425 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:00 am

JG-77 wrote:^That's actually an awesome photo :b
I wonder when that video will go up

Canobie Coaster wrote:Are there ever people at Six Flags America? :lol:

The dry park can get moderately busy during parts of the year (I actually had a handful of visits where almost all rides ran two trains!)

The waterpark, however...

umm. . that's not really crowded (at least not for the Texas parks I've been to). see a lot of space there in your pics :)
I tend not to do the Waterpark, but the one at Fiesta gets PACKED. The Texas shaped wave pool full to capacity.

go back in this thread to the Labor Day trip to SFOT to read how crowded it was that day?

or this pic from late December at Fiesta Tx. . that's the Superman Queue. .it almost NEVER has a line past the stairs up to the station (a 10-15 minute wait)..this day? most all the switchbacks were full.

I was surprised how dead SFA was on our stop there (other than the aforementioned mouse).. tho some of the folks did go to the water park and said it was busier than the dry side.
IMG_6288.JPG
this Superman queue was NUTS.. but I was there, and what else was i gonna do? so got in line and waited to ride it.

Postby bert425 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:01 pm

went back today, with the spouse.

more crowded than last time I was there, but not too slammed.

enjoyed the food, and the music.

and Pirates again which only had about a 10 minute wait - I think a LOT of folks don't know it's open!

While waiting for Pandemonium, which had about a 35 minute wait, as they are only cycling *FOUR* cars now (operators told me the 5th was out for repairs), we chatted with folks around us and mentioned we had just gotten off Pirates, and none of them knew what I was talking about. . .despite being right next door to the ride.

Even with the pirate characters still running about the boardwalk.

yeah. . they need to promote this better.

anyways, short TR up tomorrow with some pics. but overall? we had a really nice time, Pandemonium was the longest wait, and the food was delicious. (the Hurricane, while not bad, had what I'll refer to as "Applebee's Level Alcohol Content". . but hey, I got to keep the plastic glass) :)

till full pic report:
IMG_6613.JPG

Postby bert425 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:41 pm

Pics from our trip to Fiesta Texas yesterday.

not the usual, full report, from me - since was just there ~2 weeks ago for Mardi Gras, so just a few bullet points and the pics.

-- Spouse went with me this time, so didn't intend to ride anything "big" sticking to things he'd go on with me.
Park wasn't packed tho more crowded than it was when I went the other week. Most things had 15-30 minute lines (even Rattler was only 1/2 way up the ramps to the station, and Roadrunner was actually almost a walk on, and was back to running 2 trains) . . longest line was Wonder Woman which looked to be ~an hour.

-- we were there about 3 hours and rode 5 things: Carousel, Pirates of Deep Sea, WaveRunner (Scrambler. . which was running a super long, and intense program!), Pandemonium, and Roadrunner Express.
We would have ridden the train too, but it was closed. We also ate lunch at the Mardi Gras food stands, listened to the zydeco band in Rockville, and met/took pics with a bunch of park actors. and yes, I counted 10 separate stilt walkers, but also a few actors & photo ops that hadn't been out my prior visit.

(If I had been alone, yeah, I would have simply waited for the bigger coasters, but he was willing to go, so was happy just eating, walking, and riding a few things).

-- I noticed it several visits ago on Goliath, but it seems to have spread to queues thruout the park now: SFFT is "holding" the line prior to the Flash Pass merge. So, for example, Pirates appeared to have a good 40 minute wait, as the line was in the outdoor queue, but that was only because the Flash Pass operator was holding the line there. When he eventually allowed 30 or so people in the outside line to go, we found no line at all in the indoor portion of the queue, and walked right onto the ride.

We saw the same thing happen on Roadrunner Express too..LOOKED like there was a line, but really was a walk on, just being held at Flash Pass merge. Not a biggie, I guess they want to make the pass a better value. .but just mentioning it for awareness.

-- as noted in the post above, the Mardi Gras drinks were't super strong - a bit too sweet. . .but the alcohol content was bout "Applebee's Level" and got to keep the themed plastic glass. .so that was neat.

-- Six Flags no longer offers bottled water 2/$7 in the stores -- something they have done for *years*.
the water is now 2/$10, and they add tax, so was almost $11 for the two waters. No, they have no pricing signs up, so a bit of sticker shock when I went to get the water for our lunch.

-- on related note, the Bottled Water (and Sodas) from the machines are now $6 each. (so still cheaper to get at a store and get 2 at once).

-- they have fixed the camera on Bug's White Water Rapids. We didn't ride it, but saw other's pics when getting the professional pics loaded onto my card at the Photopass booth, and commented that the flume pics were now crystal clear (and the guy at the booth said they had fixed the camera last week).

-- Panda Express has been removed from the park (it was in Crackaxle area), and signs are up that a "new" restaurant will be in that location called "Chop Stix" - that will be on the dining plan.

on to the pics:
IMG_6572.JPG
first thing we see upon entering the central plaza? the baton twirler from the other week. .and she was still having a blast.

told her I posted a pic of her and that "Baton Twirler who DGaF is my hero". . she loved it and we posed for this pic.
IMG_6573.JPG
Then Nick posed with her partner.

we never did figure out why she was carrying the fake rifle. She wasn't twirling it or marching with it. . but it was so "odd". . we loved it.
IMG_6574.JPG
Don't think I've ever taken a picture of this clock in Spassburg. . . and it nicely has Batman and Scream behind it (and was clear enough was able to get a nice pic). . so here's my hubby and the clock!
IMG_6575.JPG
and then we met Lola and Bugs in Mardi Gras outfits.

no line for them, which was a surprise
IMG_6578.JPG
of course.

like we aren't gonna stop to ride this?? LOL
IMG_6580.JPG
IMG_6581.JPG
My lunch from the Mardi Gras food stands -- Jambalaya with corn bread.

it was good, but a bit dry. my solution was to ask for some "boom boom" sauce from the Boudin balls to be put on top (they were happy to do it when I asked), and it made what was 'good but dry" pretty dang amazing.

i was impressed.
IMG_6582.JPG
Nick doesn't like spicy food, but they have these Roast Beef Sliders on the Mardi Gras menu too, and they were really good too (I had a bite). the Zapps chips (only in Voodoo flavor) come with any of the sandwich options (Cajun chicken po-boy, cajun shrimp po-boy, or the roast beef)
IMG_6583.JPG
My Hurricane. . a bit too sweet, but it did have some alcohol in it.
IMG_6584.JPG
and I liked the mardi gras theming on the "glass" I got to keep.

it was ~$10.50
IMG_6585.JPG
some characters that hadn't been out the other week.

"King" turned my hat that way just before the picture was taken, so I posed appropriately douchey :)
IMG_6588.JPG
and a new Photo Op set up
IMG_6592.JPG
the throne is back out too!
IMG_6594.JPG
got a nice pic of heading into Fiesta Bay Boardwalk. . can't see Wave Runner, but behind the palm trees is the Pirates of the Deep See, and the park's Ferris Wheel.
IMG_6595.JPG
in line for Pirates of the Deep Sea, showing some of the outdoor queue theming.
we didn't know this was really the only part of the queue that had a wait. we were on the ride less than 10 minutes from this as indoor queue was empty.
IMG_6596.JPG
a rare pic I took of Poltergeist -- it actually has the train in it (LOL).

from the wave runner queue.
IMG_6597.JPG
IMG_6598.JPG
Nick thought he was photobombing - he didn't realize I was waiting for him to lean in to take the pic.

that's why the weird face he's making. . LOL
IMG_6599.JPG
More characters out. . we snagged a pic with them while listening to the zydeco band on the stage directly behind us.
IMG_6601.JPG
a better view of the Whirlygig chassis sitting on the ground near Batman
IMG_6602.JPG
which was operating this visit! (tho I didn't ride, as I had told Nick I was fin just riding smaller things WITH him this visit)
IMG_6603.JPG
the fish in the Koi pond near Batman/Whirlygig are getting really big!
IMG_6604.JPG
no real progress on the update to "Gotham City Crime Wave" since my last visit. looks like really nothing has moved.
IMG_6605.JPG
tho some better signage has gone up on the fencing over where Twister used to be, and where Joker is going to go)
IMG_6606.JPG
holding camera up over the fencing -- no real progress from this side.
IMG_6607.JPG
but from the far end looking over, some of the machinery seems to be in place.. so maybe they are about to start working on it.
IMG_6608.JPG
Didn't ride this trip, but did notice this bright, shiny sign. With a much younger Superman on it.

not sure if they got a new sign, or just cleaned the old one :)
IMG_6609.JPG
buh bye Panda Express. . . I guess the employees won't be spending the day telling folks they aren't on the dining plan any longer.
IMG_6610.JPG
how very Six Flags. . . heading out in the afternoon, what do I spot across the parking lot while walking to the car?

the giant ornament from Holiday in the Park. Just hanging out off to the side of the parking lot. . . LOL. . guess they didn't have the proper screwdriver to dismantle? :P
33ea1b227e2e44c19911190657d153ce.jpg
official pic from Park Photographer. . but I'll point out that I had to ask him to come over to here to take the picture (and then several folks lined up to get a similar pic).

you'd think the official photogs would hang out here?
41715b7c7ebc4afe98f10bd359d74652.jpg
because we sat in the front row of the back train, we had a fantastic ride (the smoothest I think I've ever had on Roadrunner).

but it made it impossible to get both of us in the photo frame! kept cutting Nick off, unless I made us bigger (too big for the train) and moved over.

but eh. . it's cute I guess
41715b7c7ebc4afe98f10bd359d74652-1.jpg
tho the original pic is much better :)

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby jlp94 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:48 pm

Nice report! Too bad about the construction, hoping that starts soon.

Postby bert425 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:07 am

jlp94 wrote:Nice report! Too bad about the construction, hoping that starts soon.

thanks, tho wasn't really expecting much/anything to be done since i was there just about 2 weeks ago.

what was interesting is how quickly they pulled down the Panda Express signage to start change over to the Six Flags branded restaurant. . it was up and operational just the other week!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!