First trip to Cedar Point

Planning our first trip
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What's with the donkeys anyway?

Re: First trip to Cedar Point

Postby Trackmaster » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:09 am

jmb02 wrote:Hey guys, my wife and I are finally planning our first trip to Cedar Point and we have a lot of question...
First of all we are planning to stay at the cedar points express hotel. We have a three day park hopper purchased already, my questions are do you recommend purchasing a front of line pass? Is it worth it? Also about the food options, besides breakfast which is included, do you recommend the food pass? We are frequent flyers to Disneyland and Knott’s and the occasional Six Flags Magic Mountain trip. What kind of environment does the park have? Are there any night shows were should make time to see or is it more of a SFMM type? Also lines... obviously Steel Vengeance will have expected lines but what other rides should we aim for first?? Thank you in advance!

I think that if you're going to be at the park for three days, the Front of the Line Pass isn't going to be necessary. 36 hours at the park is plenty of time to ride everything and have re-rides. I'd only recommend the line-cutting add-ons if you have a limited amount of time at the park. And in regards to the atmosphere, I think that you'll be very satisfied. Its a rare park that has big national chain level thrill rides with a small mom and pop style charm and friendliness. You should also stop over to King's Island if you have a chance too. Also, checking out Six Flags Ohio's ruins can be a delightful and exhilarating experience as well. If you're a history buff and love excitement in your life.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:22 am

Trackmaster wrote:I think that if you're going to be at the park for three days, the Front of the Line Pass isn't going to be necessary.

PLEASE STOP TELLING PEOPLE THIS!!! THIS IS THE STUPIDEST WORST MOST HORRIBLE ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE SOMEONE GOING TO CEDAR POINT FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME!!!!!

I seriously don't understand why people would choose to wait HOURS IN LINE when they can also choose to NOT wait hours in line.

The stupidity behind this just boggles my mind.
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:24 am.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:29 am

I'm with Robb. Don't listen to anyone that tells you that you're "probably not going to need" a Fast Lane at Cedar Point of all places. I'm not saying buy it in advance, because weather, etc can be a factor in crowds but DEFINITELY budget for it. If you're going all the way to the roller coaster capital of the world do you want to stand in line the entire time? Eff that. Make sure you have some money for Fast Lane.

We spent an obscene amount of money for FL+ wristbands for 4 people over a 2 day memorial day weekend ($800+) and had a great time. Those who didn't have it were waiting in 30-120 minutes queues all weekend. Us? We rode everything we wanted to and the longest we waited was 30 minutes, the majority of the time it was 10 minutes or less. I regret nothing and would do the exact same thing when we go back.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:30 am

Trackmaster wrote:36 hours at the park is plenty of time to ride everything and have re-rides.

That is true in low season, but peak it certainly is not. Lines can get over an hour, and in those circumstances 36 hours is not enough time, nor would anyone want to spend their day in one hour-long line after another. Fastlane is worth it for that. Keep in mind too they got park hopper passes, so they plan on the waterpark at least one of those 3 days.
Last edited by ytterbiumanalyst on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:43 am.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby AtariAge » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:40 am

If the reason you're going to Cedar Point is to RIDE all the awesome roller coasters they have, and not to actually just stand around in line watching other people enjoying the great coasters, BUY THE DAMN FAST LANE PASS! Simple as that, no ifs, ands or buts. This is even more true if you you're not local and don't get to visit the park very often. And perhaps even more so on a year when the park is opening a monster new coaster that will certainly attract even larger crowds.

BUY THE FAST LANE PASSES!!!!!

If your budget allows, I'd even suggest getting the VIP tour. This is the best way to enjoy the park and get in as many rides as you can on your favorite attractions. It is expensive, but you'll get to ride everything you want multiple times, and choose exactly which seats you want for each ride. Do it if you can.

Postby bert425 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:49 am

agreed with Robb, Boldy, and several others. . get the FastLane+ (for at least one day).

in all honestly, the only ride that the FL+ was wasted on for me was the Ferris Wheel, because even with the FL+ line, loading/unloading took a good 20-25 minutes (and that was with a minimal line on it anyways). Not sure why some parks balance the wheel out this way, but yeah, took a long time for such a short line.

but wow was it worth it's cost just for ValRavn. . easily saved me 20-30 minutes every time I wanted to ride.
(and most of the other coasters, the merge is so close to the station, that it saves time on them too. . I think MF and Gatekeeper might be the only two where the merge point is 15-20 minutes from the station, but even that is a savings on time).

the park is so big, if you want to be able to take it at your own pace, FL+ is absolutely the way to go for your 1st visit.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:35 am

I know you said your tickets are already purchased, but just for future reference, Cedar Point also offers ticket/Fast Lane+ bundles on select days as well at a very reasonable price. I don't know how I managed back when they had no system in place, to be honest. It's a must for me.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby CedarFlags » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:27 pm

jmb02 wrote:Hey guys, my wife and I are finally planning our first trip to Cedar Point and we have a lot of question...
First of all we are planning to stay at the cedar points express hotel. We have a three day park hopper purchased already, my questions are do you recommend purchasing a front of line pass? Is it worth it? Also about the food options, besides breakfast which is included, do you recommend the food pass? We are frequent flyers to Disneyland and Knott’s and the occasional Six Flags Magic Mountain trip. What kind of environment does the park have? Are there any night shows were should make time to see or is it more of a SFMM type? Also lines... obviously Steel Vengeance will have expected lines but what other rides should we aim for first?? Thank you in advance!

I made my first trip to CP a couple years ago...

1. Fastlane is great, but you can also get a lot of mileage out of the early entry from staying at the Express. One day of FL+ should be okay (unless you want to spend lots of time of Dragster or Steel Veng).

2. Can't speak much about food.

3. The vibe of the park is big time coasters, but with more of a clean and friendly atmosphere. I remember feeling like it was a hybrid of the good parts of both Magic Mountain and Knott's.

4. The live entertainment at the park has decreased in recent years (Valravn repleaced their big indoor theater, and the big outdoor theater was demolished last year), but the lineup on the website still seems promising.

This thread was super helpful when I was planning my trip... http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69766

From my experieince.... Use the Marina gate (explained in the above thread) it will save you so much time. Millenium Force is best from the front, but it needs a few hours to really warm up. A late afternoon ride will be drastically different than the morning. Iron Dragon was a snooze, skip it unless you want the credits, Ninja is way better. Dragster from the front is amazing, you can cut down your wait by using the early entry time to get to the queue right at 10am when Dragster opens.

Lastly... the park is MASSIVE. I was a crazy person and did it all in a day and I was worn out. 3 days is plenty of time to enjoy the park at a comfortable pace without walking in circles like I did.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:04 pm

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm done giving advice. I really hope you have a great visit. I will not be reading or responding to this thread any longer.
Last edited by robbalvey on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:10 pm.

Postby prozach626 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:38 pm

robbalvey wrote:I seriously don't understand why people would choose to wait HOURS IN LINE when they can also choose to NOT wait hours in line.

I don't understand why people spend so much time, preparation, and money on trips to their rare trips to parks such as Cedar Point and not spend the extra couple hundred dollars for fast lane over a couple days. It's not JUST about being able to ride as many rides as you want for me. It's about spending less time in some shitty switch back and using that time to grab a beer and enjoy the views from the more enjoyable areas of the park.

I don't make special trips to places like Cedar Point to spend hours of my day elbow to elbow with the general public while my biggest enjoyment is watching other smiling faces of riders as they go by. I know people say that a skip the line pass is a waste when lines are only even 15-20 minutes long, but I disagree. Other than merge points like MF, usually the shorter the regular line is the shorter the fast lane line will be. I enjoy skipping 20 minute wait by being on the ride in a couple minutes so much more than I enjoy skipping two hour lines by being on the ride in 20 minutes.

You also eliminate the factor of unpredictability. For example, despite everything else being 10-15 minutes you decide you want to walk to Maverick, only to realize that the line which was 20 minutes earlier is now spontaneously an hour. With your FL wrist band on hand, it makes no difference. Ride as you please.

I'm sure people talk crap all the time when Emily and I decide to get wrist bands for out of town parks where the max waits are only 10-20 minutes, but we pay for the convenience. When it's our trip where we invest our time, energy, and already a decent chunk of money, we want to maximize our total park experience. If that means paying a combined total of $200 extra, I'm fine with that and I don't think twice.

With the exception of people having kids and making it much more of a financial burden, I see a lot of posters saying they literally don't have the extra $100-$200 to spend and have depleted all of their money into the tickets, transportation, and food. This seems incredibly irresponsible for me and I think priorities need to be reexamined for these individuals. Surprisingly, these aren't just posts from the younger people on the boards.

Of course, this is different from those posters who have plenty of extra disposable income but decide to save the extra money. I can respectfully disagree with these people. Almost 50% of our household income goes to savings, market investments, and retirement, but there are just some things that are just worth the money to us. We always go for Skip the Line passes, which is one of the reasons I'm pissed that Hershey decided to not fulfill it's announcement of their Skip the Line Unlimited pass. It was one of the deciding factors to plan our trip when it was announced. If most parks didn't offer this option I probably wouldn't be interested in this hobby nearly as much.

So yeah... I vote get the FL+ online as soon as you can determine the weather isn't going to be a complete pile of sh**. Short of a monsoon, I say go for it.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!