Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Great Escape and Lake George
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby coasterbill » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:15 pm

Great report. I think there's also an anonymouscactus cameo in Gobbler Getaway. :lol:

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby hoppedup » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:43 pm

My first ride on Lightning Rod was at night. As we pulled into the station all I could think was, "What the hell just happened?"

The same thing happened with The Voyage and I rode it in broad daylight. Wish we could have gotten more rides. How does it do all that with one lift hill? Do the laws of physics cease to exist in Santa Claus, Indiana?
Parks: 20 | Coasters: 137 | Wood: 36 | Steel: 99 | Fiberglass: 2

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:51 am

coasterbill wrote:Great report. I think there's also an anonymouscactus cameo in Gobbler Getaway. :lol:

Thanks! I did see someone else with a TPR item on (forget if it was a shirt or a lanyard).

hoppedup wrote:My first ride on Lightning Rod was at night. As we pulled into the station all I could think was, "What the hell just happened?"

The same thing happened with The Voyage and I rode it in broad daylight. Wish we could have gotten more rides. How does it do all that with one lift hill? Do the laws of physics cease to exist in Santa Claus, Indiana?

My first ride on Outlaw Run was in complete darkness and I thought the same thing. The Voyage reminds me of Boulder Dash where it just picks up an insane amount of speed for the finale. It's so easy to miss during the Voyage that the entire first half goes uphill, which explains why the second half builds up so much speed.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Canobie Lake Park & Six Flags New England- Goliath Only

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:55 am

Great report! Voyage night rides.. so elusive. I haven't been to HW since 2014 but I still think highly of the Voyage after all my travels since then. Glad you had a great time!
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby anonymouscactus » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:38 am

We did the gobbler walkthrough together and didn't even know it, lol. I would have at least said hi!

There is never any way to explain the voyage experience in the dark, just no way. You just have to believe us when we say it's the most insane ride you'll ever be on.

Holiwood Nights is a blast and I will always recommend it to anyone for the unique experience you can't get at any other time.

Awesome report!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:00 am

PKI Jizzman wrote:Great report! Voyage night rides.. so elusive. I haven't been to HW since 2014 but I still think highly of the Voyage after all my travels since then. Glad you had a great time!

Thanks! It's impossible not to have a great time at HoliWood Nights.

anonymouscactus wrote:We did the gobbler walkthrough together and didn't even know it, lol. I would have at least said hi!

There is never any way to explain the voyage experience in the dark, just no way. You just have to believe us when we say it's the most insane ride you'll ever be on.

Holiwood Nights is a blast and I will always recommend it to anyone for the unique experience you can't get at any other time.

Awesome report!

Thanks! Maybe we'll run into each other again next year.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Canobie Lake Park & Six Flags New England- Goliath Only

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:00 am

I would've chosen the Gobbler Getaway tour, as well.

I think Holiday World's two best rides of any type are Wildebeest and Mammoth.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:56 am

cfc wrote:I would've chosen the Gobbler Getaway tour, as well.

I think Holiday World's two best rides of any type are Wildebeest and Mammoth.

I'll take Wildebeest and Mammoth over a lot of coasters, but I prefer Holiday World's big four coasters more.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:43 pm

Kentucky Kingdom

After two amazing days at Holiwood Nights, Kentucky Kingdom had a tough act to follow. But two top-notch coasters plus a brand spanking new wooden coaster made for a great day.

Once the park opened, I made a beeline for Kentucky Flyer. In retrospect, I probably should have started with Lightning Run since it was only running one train and had a consistent half hour wait later in the day, but hindsight is 20-20.

It felt like a scavenger hunt to find Kentucky Flyer's entrance. For those unaware, Kentucky Kingdom has one of the oddest layouts out there. You literally have to cross a road and pass through the water park to reach this coaster.

Deluge Closed.JPG
I had considered doing the water park, but Deluge being closed made it an easy skip.

Kentucky Flyer Return (Side).JPG
Even with Deluge closed, I still had a reason to enter the water park.

Kentucky Flyer Overview (Ground).JPG
What a great backdrop for Hurricane Bay.

I was the first public rider of the day on Kentucky Flyer. I was joined by a few stragglers from an early morning ERT session on Kentucky Flyer. I think I got 6 straight rides without leaving the station, split between the front and back.

Kentucky Flyer didn't quite have the frenetic pacing of Roar-O-Saurus or Oscar's Wacky Taxi. And it didn't have the stronger airtime of a Wooden Warrior or Twister. But that's not needed at this park considering Lightning Run and Storm Chaser exist.

The outward leg consisted of some floater air and weaker airtime pops. The second half is quite a bit wilder. The front has 6-7 consecutive pops of floater air, but the back has some borderline pops of ejector. There's also a pinch of banking to mix in some sneaky laterals too. And it's perfectly smooth too.

These junior Gravity Group coasters are perfect fits for any park. Their low overall height and low height requirement make them appealing for younger riders, but they pack in enough airtime to satisfy even the most well-traveled of coaster enthusiasts. 8 out of 10

Kentucky Flyer Drop (Front).JPG
I love the color scheme. That may be my biased Canobie self speaking since it's the same as the Yankee Cannonball.

Kentucky Flyer Return (Front).JPG
Every single hill gives some type of airtime.

On a whim I decided to ride the park's star flyer, Skycatcher. This is one of those rides I really wish allowed on-ride photography because the views of Kentucky Flyer were outstanding. Granted it would be hard to focus considering this ride is moderately forceful. 7 out of 10

So I got my photography fix on the Giant Wheel. This is no ordinary ferris wheel. This is a 150 foot behemoth. It only went around 3 times, but with a wheel this big, that was enough for a satisfying ride. 8 out of 10

Skycatcher (Aerial).JPG
Skycatcher gave some awesome views of Kentucky Flyer...and the Giant Wheel gave some awesome views of Skycatcher and Kentucky Flyer.

I have a confession to make. I actually enjoyed T3 in my 2016. Yes it was rough, but the restraints prevented all headbanging.

But I had an intervention. This ride sucks. It still has no headbanging. Instead it offers back banging. I felt like I had gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson by the time I hit the brake run. 2 out of 10

T3 Sidewinder (Side).JPG
I actually enjoyed T3 on my last visit, but now I see the light. This ride blows.

I deserved better. So I treated myself to a Storm Chaser marathon. I absolutely love the coaster's placement in the back of the park. It's secluded location means it's always a walk-on.

You start with some nice hangtime on the barrel roll, but then you go right into an ejector airtime buffet. That first camelback offers some El Toro-esque airtime.

The overbank is over in a breeze and that's followed by a fantastic turnaround with two crazy pops of air entering and exiting. After another quick overbank, comes another powerful airtime hill. It's not quite as good as the first camelback, but it's undoubtedly one of RMC's best airtime moments.

The finale is lunacy. You blow through a zero-G roll and then go through this double-up, double-down, trick track thingy. Whatever it is, it delivers some crazy airtime. Your thighs will be feeling it the next day. After one final turn, there's a violent pop of air into the brake run.

I heard some say that Storm Chaser was running a bit poorly in 2019. I'd like to know what those people are smoking. Storm Chaser was hauling just as much as it was in 2016 and 2018. There are bigger, faster, and longer RMCs, but this one may have the strongest airtime from start to finish. 10 out of 10

Storm Chaser Turnaround.JPG
Such a great ride!

Storm Chaser Airtime Hill (Ground).JPG
I can still feel the airtime here.

Storm Chaser Close-Up.JPG
Storm Chaser is like a bull that chugged a Four Loko.

Storm Chaser Zero-G (Front).JPG
Most barrel rolls give hangtime. This one just hauls straight through.

Since it was a rather hot day, I was excited to finally ride the park's infamous river rapids. The park claims the rapids are raging, but I think something else is if you ask me. ;)

Raging Rapids was a deceptively long ride. None of the rapids are absolute soakers, but there are a ton of them. Plus you also have a waterfall, some sprayers, some misters, and two tunnels. It was pretty clear this used to be a Blizzard River back in the day. 7 out of 10

Dick Rock (2019).JPG
I don't know why Six Flags didn't do more rock work. Nothing says family friendly like this beauty.

I then went from one woody to another. Thunder Run looks like Hurler. And in 2016, it rode like Hurler too. But with each visit, the park has retracked more and more of the ride. Now Thunder Run is quite smooth outside of the first turn.

Admittedly I only rode towards the front, but the outward leg had some great airtime. The straight track on the return run feels like filler, but when the ride is giving airtime, it does it well. 7 out of 10

Thunder Run Aerial.JPG
Before there was lightning, there was thunder.

Thunder Run Bunny Hill (Front).JPG
Lots of fresh wood. Clearly I'm not at Mt. Olympus.

Thunder Run Turn.JPG
Whoosh!

Lightning Run was running one train, so it held a consistent half hour wait all day. But it was well worth it. After all, the op reminded us that we were riding the "world's tallest Chance Hyper GT-X Coaster". I'm going out on a limb here and guessing the ride op was a coaster enthusiast. :lol:

The first drop had some serious yank and ejector air much like your traditional RMC drop. That's followed by an outstanding camelback loaded with ejector airtime.

The middle section of Lightning Run is a blitzkrieg of twists, turns, and little airtime hills. This section's airtime is actually reminiscent of Kentucky Flyer; it's of the quick pop variety.

But Lightning Run has a wild finish. After plunging back to the ground, there are four straight airtime hills with some powerful ejector pops. This reminded me of Steel Vengeance's finale. I always hit the brake run speechless.

I spent about half my visit queuing for Lightning Run. It was the only ride in the park with any appreciable wait, but I kept coming back for more. It's the definition of an airtime machine and it's insanely smooth too. 9.5 out of 10

Lightning Run Cresting.JPG
They say lightning doesn't strike twice...

Lightning Run 2nd Hill (Far).JPG
And sadly they're right. Why hasn't anyone else built one of these. They're awesome!

Lightning Run 2nd Hill (Close).JPG
So much airtime.

Lightning Run Airtime.JPG
I just love the paint scheme on this ride.

Lightning Run Bunny Hill (Side).JPG
I also love how comically oversized the front of the train is.

I didn't have time to hit many flats, but there was no way I'd skip Fearfall. I've ridden drop towers three times taller, but these Larson towers are still some of the most terrifying contraptions out there. Calling the drop intense is an understatement. 9 out of 10

Fearfall Overview.JPG
I heard more people screaming the lord's name from this drop tower than I did in church.

I've ridden a litany of Huss Enterprises, but I had only ridden one Zamperla Endeavor. And I have to be honest, I found the one at Six Flags Over Texas to be an uncomfortable experience. I remember the ride pinching my legs between the seat.

So with some trepidation, I decided to try Scream Extreme. And I'm glad I did. The ride was fast and forceful. But most importantly, there was no pinching this time. 7 out of 10

Scream Extreme Sign.JPG
I found it really cool they had t-shirts for this flat.

And on that note, I have to say that the gift shop next to the 4D theater is incredible. You have a large selection of merchandise for the park's current lineup. More impressively, you can also find relics from the past such as t-shirts for Chang and even some old flats. Very cool!

Retro Shirts.JPG
Sweet, I can finally pick up a shirt for SFNE's boomerang ;)

Unless you're gluten intolerant, you also need to get a pretzel at Twisted. I don't care if you're on a diet. Break it. You'll be glad you did. These pretzels are crack. Unlike most parks that just reheat some frozen Super Pretzels, Kentucky Kingdom bakes these beauties from scratch.

Twisted.JPG
These pretzels are legit.

I spent the last hour getting rerides on Kentucky Flyer and Storm Chaser. I could have easily spent a whole day at Kentucky Kingdom, but I needed to make it back to Cincinnati for my return flight home.

Since Holiwood Nights may now be an annual trip, Kentucky Kingdom may also be an annual thing as well. And that's fine by me. They really are an airtime haven for coaster enthusiasts. And the park just keeps growing with each visit.

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:12 pm

Your reports are great! I’m glad you had a great time at Holiwood Nights. I think I saw you in passing a couple times!

The only thing I have to disagree with you on is Kentucky Flyer being perfectly smooth. For such a new ride, I thought it tracked really poorly—similar to Mine Blower. I’m not sure if it’s a construction thing or a Timberliner thing, but even though I thought both coasters were super fun, they both bounced around enough to give me a little headache after a couple rides.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!