Switch to full style
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Post a reply

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Fri May 03, 2019 9:17 am

Glad to see Paris Pirates get some love! Amongst the three resorts I've visited (WDW, DL, DLP), Pirates is definitely my favorite Disney attraction so far. There must be 200 moving AAs in that ride. And TWO drops!

Mon May 06, 2019 4:01 am

All the Pirates have loads of animatronics, but that second themed drop and the pacing is what stood out for me. I just know I need to get on Shanghai's version someday.

Mon May 06, 2019 8:11 am

Great report! We're heading to DLP for the first time this fall so I'm taking notes. :lol:

Mon May 06, 2019 9:17 am

Thanks and enjoy! Unfortunately there's no MaxPass or FastPass Plus, but it's possible to get a lot of FastPasses especially since the two parks aren't connected on the same network.

Tue May 07, 2019 5:13 am

Walt Disney Studios

Disneyland Paris is comprised of two parks. While the castle park is often praised for its beauty, Walt Disney Studios is usually the butt of jokes. Is it as bad as other reviews would make you think? Yes in the sense that it isn't a full-day park and no in the sense that it has some fantastic rides.

Entrance 1.jpg
This felt like a half-baked version of the Florida Studios.

Entrance 2.jpg
It may not be a movie studio, but it sort of looks like one.

Look no further than Slinky Dog Zigzag Spin :lol: Flats typically feel out of place at a Disney park, but not when they're an oversized wiener dog. Who cares about the giant magician's hat or the water tower...Slinky is the park's icon.

If you expect an unbiased review, you're deceiving youself. I can say that I prefer Slinky in coaster form, but I'll take Slinky in any form Disney will give him to me. I can also say this ride is more of a looker than a rider. 10 out of 10 for appearance. 5 out of 10 as a ride.

Slinky Selfie.jpg
We came to Paris just for this ride.

In all seriousness, the park's best attraction is the (still for now) Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. The ride's placement is bizarre. All other iterations of Disney's greatest thrill ride are located on the perimeters of their respective parks. Walt Disney Studio decided to plop their's smack dab in the center of the park. The front facade looks amazing as ever, but the backside is naked. It looks completely out-of-place in a Disney park.

The ride cycle is identical to California's old tower. And for me, that isn't a bad thing. The ride is perfection. The story is incredibly immersive and the drops deliver the goods. Every single drop gives that delightful stomach-dropping sensation and is paired with airtime. If that's not enough, the rapid ascent also provides sustained floater that craps all over an S&S tower.

Obviously I'll take Florida's tower over this one. And I'll probably take California and Tokyo's towers over this one as well. But that is more a testament to just how good the others are. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'll take any iteration of the Tower of Terror over most coasters. 10 out of 10

Tower of Terror Partners Statue.jpg
The Partners Statue does not look right in front of the Tower of Terror.

Armageddon Closed.jpg
It also looks weird to see the backside of the Tower and an Armageddon attraction. Walt Disney Studios is a weird park!

Upgraded Slinky.jpg
The Hollywood Tower Hotel is an equal opportunity employer.

One ride completely unique to Paris (for the time being) is Ratatouille. This ride has one of the best single rider lines I've ever seen. Because of the countless 6-seat vehicles, they need a ton of single riders. Even though the regular queue was 50-70 minutes all day, the single rider line was never more than 5 minutes.

The ride is a cross of Pooh's Hunny Hunt and Spiderman. While I (and many others) would prefer a ride comprised entirely of practical sets, I still really enjoyed Ratatouille. The screens are very well executed. The 3D animation is beautiful and up to par with Pixar's films. Plus the jumbo screens effectively make you feel the size of a rat. 8.5 out of 10

Ratatouille.jpg
I can't wait to see a similar ride at Epcot.

I also found it odd how the ride constantly fluctuated between English and French. Characters would say one sentence in English before saying the next in French. :lol:

As a movie studio park, they also try their hand at the Studio Tram Tour. I was too young to remember the old one in Florida, but I loved the one at Universal Studios Hollywood. That ride was incredible. The same cannot be said about the one at Walt Disney Studios.

For one, it's not a real movie set. Two, the ride often doesn't try. The Catastrophe Canyon and London sets are fantastic, but the rest of the ride consists of some random props sitting alongside a road. Worse, half the ride is completely lacking anything to look at. They try to distract you with a video screen with some narration, but I saw right through it. If this is removed for the park's expansion, it's no great loss. 4 out of 10

Catastrophe Canyon.jpg
Catastrophe Canyon was cool as always.

Movie Props.jpg
These props were...just there.

This is a coaster site, so naturally I rode all three of them. RC Racer can be a bit of a tricky one since it doesn't offer Fastpass and it's capacity isn't too good. The single rider line is a crapshoot since they don't call for too many, but I lucked out after a rainstorm. I was shocked to see Disney forced riders to put loose articles in a bin rather than keeping them at their feet. Is this a first for Disney?

No loose articles makes sense since this coaster (I know this is objectionable to some) has some legit sustained floater. Plus it had a few launches with more kick than I expected. For obvious reasons, it has a short cycle but RC Racer did exactly as advertised. 6 out of 10

RC Racer Spike.jpg
To infinity and beyond.

Rock n' Roller Coaster was being a bit temperamental during my visit. I think I walked over to it three or four times before I was finally able to ride it. I was expecting a carbon copy of Florida's, but got something a little different. The coaster layout is identical. It has the same great launch and forceful sidewinder inversion.

But the story is completely different. Instead of taking a high speed limo through LA, on this one you ride the music. Yes the plot is a bit contrived, but the execution is done well. The coaster bit has a series of spotlights that temporarily blind riders and heighten the sense of speed. I think I may prefer this one to Florida's, but it's close. 7 out of 10

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Exterior.jpg
Note the ride is closed. It did that a lot during my visit.

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Station 1.jpg
The lighting was top notch on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.

The last coaster was easily the most frustrating ride at the resort to ride, Crush's Coaster. I used Extra Magic Hours on two separate days to be on one of the first few cars of the day. More specifically, you need to arrive early for Extra Magic Hours to ride it with no wait (See post in the park discussion thread- Here). Otherwise you'll have to wait at least an hour. That includes the single rider line as well.

The effort to ride Crush was worth it. Yes it's mostly just an off-the-shelf spinning mouse in a box, but Disney pulled it off well. There's a quick dark ride bit to set the tone and I know many will criticize Disney for skimping on theming during the coaster bit, but I thought it made the ride more thrilling. The ride was in almost total darkness, so it was extremely disorienting being spun and yanked about. 7 out of 10

Toon Studio.jpg
A studio inside a studio. Studio-ception?

Crush's Coaster Outdoor.jpg
This was a bear to get on, but it was worth the trouble.

Crush's Coaster Station 2.jpg
That seat is mine, mine, mine.

Walt Disney Studio is often considered Disney's runt of the litter. It's not a bad park persay; it just doesn't match the high standards of Disney's other parks. The park has some legit E ticket attractions, but the overall feel of the park just seems off. If you've been there, you probably know what I mean.

If you go for early entry, it's conceivable you could do the entire park in 1-1.5 hours. Fortunately reinforcements are on the way. As of now, Walt Disney Studios isn't a place I could spend a whole day at, but I kept popping over for another ride on Tower of Terror since this one never seems to have a line.

Tue May 07, 2019 7:35 am

such a great report from Disneyland Paris.

never been (yet) to the parks outside the US, and had no idea this Hyperspace Mountain has inversions! (is it like Rock N Roller Coaster crossed with Space Mountain?).

if I ever get to France, this park is on my list, tho it's not my "bucket list" Disney (that would be Tokyo DisneySea).

thanks for the great pics & report, and glad you had a good time!

Tue May 07, 2019 7:41 am

Thanks! Comparing any park to Tokyo Disneyland is an unfair comparison. I actually prefer Tokyo's castle park to DisneySea but both are exceptional.

Saying Hyperspace Mountain is a cross of those two rides is a pretty fair comparison except it doesn't track as well as Rock n Roller Coaster. I absolutely loved it though because of the vest restraints and intensity.

Wed May 08, 2019 6:16 pm

Disney Village

Since I stayed onsite, I spent quite a bit of time at Disney Village, the Paris equivalent of Disney Springs / Downtown Disney. It's comparable in size to Downtown Disney in California and thankfully everything stays open after the parks close unlike a certain park in England (cough: Alton Towers: cough).

Balloon.jpg
Disney Village and the hotels are situated around a lake.

Mickey Shrub.jpg

My first day at Disneyland Paris coincided with the release of Avengers Endgame. Fortunately I found a single English showtime at the Gaumont Theater in Disney Village (in IMAX no less). It pained me leave the park a half hour early, but I was ecstatic to see the film spoiler free.

A quick spoiler free review- The movie is excellent. There's a reason it is breaking all sorts of box office records. The preceding 20 something films built up to Endgame and it absolutely delivered. Is it perfect? No. But it does everything it needs to, includes plenty of fan service, and has some spectacular action sequences.

My lone gripe with the theater was the popcorn. I was looking forward to feasting on a gigantic bucket of buttery popcorn, but apparently in France they prefer to put sugar on their popcorn. :cry: Oh well, it saved me $10 that went to my Disney souvenir fund.

Gaumont Cinemas (Night).jpg
Avengers Assemble!

Speaking of souvenirs, there were several Disney stores in Disney Village. For the most part, the souvenirs overlapped with each other but there was a good chunk of merchandise exclusive to the Paris resort. I was unable to find a Disneyland Paris hoodie with Donald or Daisy for my family, but I did find a nice blanket.

And for myself, I found a lovely Chip n Dale bowl.

Disney Store.jpg

Chip n Dale Bowl.jpg
Disneyland Paris, take my money.

For food, I tried two places. The first was Earl of Sandwich. This was my first experience with the chain and while I thought my steak and cheese was just ok, I thought the prices were extremely fair considering the location. Plus the service was very fast.

I also tried the (generically named) Steakhouse. The service was excellent and the steak was quite good. It had a bit more of a charred taste to it than I like, but it was very juicy.

Steakhouse Interior.jpg
I love how everyone was wearing Mickey ears and t-shirts in such a fancy restaurant.

Slinky and Steak.jpg
The dog was begging for scraps.

As you may have surmised, I did choose to stay onsite at Hotel Cheyenne for three nights. Even though Cheyenne is the resort’s budget hotel, I thought it was quite nice. The Wild West theme was well executed and the service was exactly what you’d expect from Disney.

It was a 15-20 minute walk from the parks, but the walk was quite scenic. It ran past a stream and took you through Disney Village. It was a nice way to start the day and sure beat the walk in California when I pass all the trashy hotels and Denny's. :lol:

Hotel Cheyenne.jpg
The hotel nailed the wild west ghost town theme.

Teepees.jpg
Unfortunately guests were not allowed to sleep in the teepees.

Hotel Cheyenne Room.jpg
My accommodations for three nights.

Thu May 09, 2019 4:52 am

You probably already mentioned it multiple times, but the amount of trip reports you pump through is impressive. Where do you find the time!? :lmao:

How is Disneyland Paris currently holding up (cast member and operational wise) to the other Disney parks? It has now been in the hands of The Company for over a year now. Noticed any changes?

Thu May 09, 2019 5:18 am

^ Most of these are written at the airport or on the plane. Usually I've already seen the "new releases" on the plane's entertainment system.

In terms of operations, everyone was efficient and helpful. The only difference I noted was that a lot of employees weren't as outgoing or smiling like the US or Tokyo parks.
Post a reply
MY LATEST VIDEOS