Switch to full style
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Post a reply

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:55 am

Apparently they built the roof around this ride and you can tell when you ride it. The clearance at the top of the lift is very tight.

Yes I did visit the water park. Galaxyland was my top priority, but I will have a report for that. It was probably the best water park I've visited not named Blizzard Beach.

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:06 pm

Loved your reaction shot on Mindbender! It's much like ours was, waaaay back in 2001.

Glad to read you enjoyed the park. AND that glorious indoor waterpark!
Looking forward to your take on that, too.
Attachments
MindbenderCoasterBill_DavidOct.01alt.jpg
MindbenderCoasterBill_DavidOct.01alt.jpg (145.58 KiB) Viewed 1888 times

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:46 pm

I'm a little late to the party, but I enjoyed your Phoenix TRs. Desert Storm is such a weird coaster, but I think that's why I like it so much. I visit Phoenix about once a year and always make sure to stop by Castles 'N' Coasters when I'm there. Desert Storm and all the weird Disney knockoff murals around the park are worth a trip to this park. :lol:
I didn't even know Wildlife World was a thing; I'll have to check it out on my next trip.
JimmyBo wrote:Glad to see you "enjoyed" what little this Grand Canyon State has to offer in terms of Theme parks. If you ever make it back out here, be sure to check Schnepf Farms. It is only open occasionally but it has the best coaster in the state. It may not be very tall but it sure has some "OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL" airtime moments when you sit in the back.

Dang, dude! I've visited Queen Creek Olive Mill a few times and had no idea there was a coaster right across the street. I'll have to check it out on my next trip.

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:40 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:Loved your reaction shot on Mindbender! It's much like ours was, waaaay back in 2001.

Glad to read you enjoyed the park. AND that glorious indoor waterpark!
Looking forward to your take on that, too.

Thanks! That's a neat frame; the photo I got was only the photo.

joelwee wrote:I'm a little late to the party, but I enjoyed your Phoenix TRs. Desert Storm is such a weird coaster, but I think that's why I like it so much. I visit Phoenix about once a year and always make sure to stop by Castles 'N' Coasters when I'm there. Desert Storm and all the weird Disney knockoff murals around the park are worth a trip to this park. :lol:
I didn't even know Wildlife World was a thing; I'll have to check it out on my next trip.

Thanks! Desert Storm was definitely off and I agree that's part of why I really liked it. If it had OSTRs, I'd be singing a different tune.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:54 am

If you are into big thrills and coasters, well Mindbender is pretty much all you are going to like there. It is a pretty average indoor park with mostly family rides. As far as size? It's a small park, I believe the one at Mall of America is much bigger and it has more variety. I hate how they put that spinner coaster right thru Mindbender too! I thought it looked better without that in the way.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:07 am

I really liked Quirks in the Works and Space Shot as well but Mindbender was definitely the ride I kept going on.

I actually like how Galaxy Orbiter intertwines with Mindbender. It's neat seeing the track intertwine.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:20 pm

World Waterpark

I expected to like World Waterpark simply because indoor water parks are a novelty to me. But I did not expect to like World Waterpark as much as I did. It had an awesome collection of speed slides plus climate controlled water. I’m the type of person who visits water parks on the least ideal day (rainy, 65 degrees, etc) to avoid crowds, so 86 degree water was an absolute godsend.

Entrance.jpg
I felt like a shark out of water in 86 degree water, but it felt so right.
Entrance.jpg (221.64 KiB) Viewed 1539 times

This water park is the opposite of Splashin’ Safari. The only things this place has in common with Holiday World are friendly employees and free soda. While Splashin’ Safari consists entirely of tube slides, World Waterpark is almost entirely made up of body slides. Heck there were even 2-3 body slides with suspiciously oversized tubes that make me think they were once tube slides in another life.

My back wasn’t thrilled at the prospect of body slides only, but these are the smoothest body slides I’ve ever ridden. Even the extreme drop pod slides were smooth as glass. These slides were the real deal and not that garbage from SplashTacular (if you’ve ridden SFNE or SFA’s Bonzai Pipeline, it’s them).

So I guess I’ll start with Cyclone, the massive AquaLoop. I know there are taller water slides out there, but this thing looks colossal. The drop pod is mere feet from the roof. Even when the other slides built up queues, the drop pod slides were still walk ons. And it certainly isn’t because of their capacity.

The initial plunge was incredible. It felt like a true freefall and I’m pretty sure my back wasn’t touching the slide. The loop followed. While the loop itself wasn’t thrilling, the downward bit afterwards sure was. To ensure riders complete the circuit, there’s a powerful water jet at the top that gives you a turbo boost for the final few turns. This may just be the best speed slide I’ve ridden. 10 out of 10

By comparison, the standard freefall drop pods seemed like child’s play. Sky Screamer offered an open and an enclosed slide. I preferred the open one for the visuals. It was still a rush, but I didn’t get the freefall sensation like I did on Cyclone. 8 out of 10

Overview.jpg
Pictures do not do these slides justice. They look massive indoors.
Overview.jpg (355.62 KiB) Viewed 1539 times

Corkscrew and Twister are the two body slides that I swear must have been tube slides at one point. The trough is wide enough to accommodate a sumo wrestler. Neither slide were particularly fast, but they awkwardly rocked riders back and forth because of their width. 6 out of 10

Blue Bullet actually felt like your normal body slide. It wasn’t overly forceful nor did it have any surprise drops, but it did hold its speed pretty well. 7 out of 10

Nessie.jpg
Nessie's Revenge (purple) was unfortunately closed. Is it just me, or does the profiling look a bit (for a lack of a better word) triangular almost like Magnum's bunny hills?
Nessie.jpg (292.71 KiB) Viewed 1539 times

The lone tube slide I rode was probably the park’s most unique ride in Slideboarding. The rafts are heavy. They’re only for one person, but they have some serious girth to them. If you thought carrying those clover tubes up a tower was the Seventh Circle of Hell, you clearly haven’t been on Slideboarding.

But the rafts are technological marvels. They turn an otherwise mundane slide into a game of Guitar Hero. You choose your song and during the descent, the trough is lined with colored lights. As you pass these lights, you need to select the same colored button on your raft. As an added bonus, it did have one very nice drop at the end.

It was a really neat slide with a ton of reridability. Now I did hear others complain that their raft didn’t work. Either that or they were trying to find a scapegoat for their zero. But for me, I had fully functional rafts on all three of my rides. 9 out of 10

I’ve ridden my fair share of toilet bowl slides, but usually they’re of the tube variety. The only body slide version I’ve ridden was at Whale’s Tale. It was undoubtedly more thrilling and way more fun, but it was pretty uncomfortable on my back. I was worried Tropical Typhoon would be the same.

I don’t know if this is a different manufacturer or just everything in Canada is better, but it was perfectly smooth. This allowed me to appreciate hurtling around the bowl like a top. And being the graceful human being that I am, I face planted into the water on my first ride. 9.5 out of 10

What was probably a comical visual for the employees quickly turned into a murder scene. The sheer force of the water gave me a nosebleed. Fortunately, the employees were super responsive and had some towels handy. It was an unfortunate way to end the day, but I wasn’t going to risk closing down another slide for clean-up.

Cyclone.jpg
The mall itself has plenty of viewing decks to showcase their neat water park.

Logistically there are two confusing aspects with the water park. For one, the park entrance forces you through the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo room. That part makes sense considering most patrons aren’t wearing a bikini around the mall. But the weird part is that you literally have to walk through the showers. Not around, but through. Picture a line of 20 or so people showering and guests awkwardly squeezing their way by.

Second, the slide tower is an absolute labyrinth. The main tower has a seemingly endless combination of staircases and many of the queues intersect. Unless you memorize the slide names prior to your visit, good luck. I knew I should have took a left at Albuquerque…

Twister.jpg
Finding the slide you want is like capturing the Golden Snitch. It can be done, but it's very hard.
Twister.jpg (296.83 KiB) Viewed 1539 times

Sun Runner.jpg
Or you could cheat and go ride this lonely slide off all by itself.
Sun Runner.jpg (307.25 KiB) Viewed 1539 times

On the day I visited, the World Waterpark had a sign out front they were closing 2 hours earlier than posted online. At first I thought it was because it was the offseason, but then I discovered it was because they were having a concert in the evening called SoundWave.

They transformed their wave pool into the coolest dance floor I’ve ever seen. While I didn’t attend, I did peer in from the mall’s viewing deck and it looked like one heck of a party with all the strobes and music. It was a neat concept and I could see this going over well at other water parks.

SoundWave.jpg
This is the best dance floor I've ever seen.
SoundWave.jpg (233.82 KiB) Viewed 1539 times

It may just be the best water park I’ve visited outside of Blizzard Beach. I really have to flip a coin whether or not I prefer it to Splashin’ Safari. I know this site is more about theme parks, but this water park should not be missed in a visit to the West Edmonton Mall provided you enjoy body slides.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:27 pm

Wow, World Waterpark seems like a really nice indoor waterpark, and it looks enormous. I would definitely love to visit Edmonton Mall at some point in the near future!

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:13 am

I think I might’ve gone to World Waterpark as a young child... I might be going back to Edmonton to visit family this summer and that means an excuse for me to ride my #5 coaster and visit this amazing looking waterpark. ;)

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:35 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:
It literally looks like the train is about to fall off. That's how abrupt the twists are.

Too Soon.
Post a reply
MY LATEST VIDEOS