Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Islands of Adventure and the Hagrid's Line from Hell
Users viewing this topic: bert425 and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can I park my donkey here?

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby nynehalem » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:44 pm

I live about a mile from Oaks Park and regularly walk my dog by the park.

Screaming Eagle is being removed (its actually already gone) and replaced by a Zamperla Discovery Revolution.

I will try and take some pictures in the sporing once it goes vertical
Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 12.41.30 PM.png

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby nynehalem » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:47 pm

Actually, it looks like they're going to offer two different programs for the ride, once where it does a full rotation and a tamer version where it only swings 180 degrees.
Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 12.45.40 PM.png

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:20 pm

^ That's really cool they're offering two programs for AtmosFEAR- one where it inverts and one where it doesn't.

Kraang's Pandemonium at Nickelodeon Universe was also a Zamperla looping discovery and it was interesting that the operator shared they manually controlled the program with a lever. It will be interesting if it's a set program or controlled by the operator.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Halloween Horror Nights & Universal Studios Florida

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:37 pm

Wild Waves Theme Park

One of the risks of visiting a park towards the beginning or end of the season is short staffing. For as much flack as we give Six Flags, they’re usually pretty good at keeping rides open (albeit with the most bare bones crew imaginable). Unfortunately, short staffing was a major issue for this former Six Flags park.

I thought I was safe visiting Wild Waves on Labor Day weekend. Seeing nothing listed as closed on the ride board was extremely encouraging. That turned out to be laughable.

Park Entrance.JPG
Naive me actually believed nothing was closed.

I get that rides may be closed, but don’t lie. Half the dry rides were closed. Most of those rides had signs saying they were “temporarily closed” but there was no activity by them all afternoon. So either the park has the world’s worst maintenance or they knew they didn’t have enough staff to run things.

Gambler Closed.JPG

Scrambler Closed.JPG

Klondike Gold Rusher Closed.JPG
"Temporarily Closed" usually means it will reopen at some point during the day. I guess that means something else at Wild Waves. I could post pictures of a lot more "temporarily closed" rides, but you probably get the point.

Lumberjack Falls Closed.JPG
They jumped the gun a bit on this one.

Octopus Removed.JPG
I don't think I'll be getting on the invisible Octopus today.

Thankfully, the main draw was open in Timberhawk: Ride of Prey. S&S’s first wooden coaster is perched atop a hill, so it’s a bit of a hike to reach it. Once you sit down, you can catch your breath and let the ops do the work since this ride has a similar policy to RMCs where riders can’t lower their own lap bars.

Timberhawk is relatively tame with some weak airtime and laterals sprinkled throughout, but both the front and back have their standout moments. The back is defined by the great air on the first drop. And the front is defined by the strong floater on this sizable hill midway through the course.

I hardly hear anything about Timberhawk. I wasn’t sure if that was a good or bad thing. On the bright side, it’s pretty smooth outside of some shuffling on the turns. On the downside, it doesn’t hold its speed well. If all the hills were a few feet lower, this could have been so much better. 6 out of 10

Timberhawk Sign (Day).JPG
I can't believe Cedar Fair didn't come up with this name. It combines two of their favorite things- timbers and hawks.

Timberhawk First Drop.JPG
Now this drop was quite good.

Timberhawk Brake Run.JPG
And I liked how it ran alongside the woods.

Timberhawk Bunny Hill.JPG
But it really crawled through the layout.

After passing several rides sitting idle, I reached the Kiddie Coaster. I have to give the park credit. I didn’t see any closed kiddie rides, but they predictably had rotating ride operators. As for the coaster, it actually had some decent laterals and it was perfectly comfortable for an adult. 3 out of 10

Kiddie Coaster Rotating Op.JPG
Note the rotating op sign. This was found on all kiddie rides.

I then checked off the final operating coaster in Wild Thing. This coaster originally ran at Rocky Point in Rhode Island and because of the low crowds, the park was giving double rides.

For the most part, it was your typical Arrow loop + corkscrew model. The first drop had a nice pop of air, the loop was forceful, and thankfully the corkscrews weren’t too choppy. But it had one odd quirk.

After half the train leaves the station, the brakes engage bringing the train to a stop. After about 5 seconds, the brakes release and you continue towards the lift. Does it always do this? 5 out of 10

Wild Thing Loop.JPG
Wild Thing...

Wild Thing Overview.JPG
You make my ears ring (ok not really, but it rhymed).

The only non-coaster I rode was Brain Surge, the S&S double shot. It’s a bit unfortunate the ride is located at the bottom of the hill, but I’m guessing that was deliberate since the back of the park borders a residential neighborhood.

This one was pretty weak on the airtime, but the launch caught me off-guard. Usually these S&S towers come to a halt before launching. This one didn’t do that. 4 out of 10

Brain Drain (Far).JPG
If you ride this for the view, you're doing it wrong.

I finished the afternoon with a marathon of Timberhawk. Because of its location adjacent to the woods, I feel like Timberhawk would be a fantastic night ride. But the closest I came was a series of sunset rides to finish the day. Timberhawk did grow on me, but it’s still more of a family coaster.

Timberhawk Lift.JPG
So close to a night ride, but the sun just wouldn't go to sleep.

I have mixed feelings on Wild Waves. On one hand, it has a great ride lineup for a family park. But that assumes they're all open. The amount of closed rides and lack of transparency by the park was frustrating.

Whale Fountain.JPG
I didn't exactly have a whale of a time.

Water Slides 2.JPG
The water park seems to be the big draw at this park. Most people seemed to be there.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:49 am

^Bummer that so many of the park's attractions were closed... It looks like it is a decent regional park to visit when everything would actually be open.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby swfan1988 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:45 am

Its too bad about all the closed rides at Wild Waves, I've heard good things about Klondike Gold Rusher, but most everything else looks kinds ehh. Part of me feels like Wild Waves would really benefit from a Six Flags take over, (as much as it hurts to say) like Darien Lake.

Oh well, at least you have the best park in the northwest coming up, right? :b
I don't work for a theme park, but I wish I did!
Wooden Faves: 1. PHOENIX!!!! 2. Timber Terror 3. Timber Terror 4. Timber Terror...
Steel Faves: 1. Hersheypark's Wild Mouse :lol: 2. Corkscrew (at Silverwood) :lmao: 3. Everything Else!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:59 am

jedimaster1227 wrote:^Bummer that so many of the park's attractions were closed... It looks like it is a decent regional park to visit when everything would actually be open.

Yeah the ride lineup is quite good for a regional park catered to families. The only closed ride i intended to ride was the wild mouse, which from other reviews seems to barely run.

swfan1988 wrote:Its too bad about all the closed rides at Wild Waves, I've heard good things about Klondike Gold Rusher, but most everything else looks kinds ehh. Part of me feels like Wild Waves would really benefit from a Six Flags take over, (as much as it hurts to say) like Darien Lake.

Oh well, at least you have the best park in the northwest coming up, right? :b

This park's focus on families doesn't really match what Six Flags usually does, but it would give them a foothold in the northwest again. I've ridden a few of the Zamperla mice and the turns can be particularly aggressive on those (sometimes too aggressive).

Yes, the next report will be for a much better park. :)

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:45 am

Silverwood

Silverwood is easily one of the most annoying parks for enthusiasts to visit. Everyone who visits it has great things to say about it, but it’s in a remote park of Idaho hundreds of miles from any other park.

A work trip brought me “close” to Silverwood, so it seemed like the perfect time to visit. And when I say close, I mean that it was only a 5.5 hour drive away. :lol:

Park Sign.JPG
I finally visited one of my big bucket list parks.

IMG_0446.JPG

Mountains.JPG
Thankfully the drive was quite scenic.

Silverwood feels like a classic park. It oozes charm. However, it’s only 30 years old! In fact, the parks it reminds me most of are Lake Compounce and Kennywood. That comes with both the pros and cons. Just take a look at these parallels.

Tunnel.JPG
You park across the street and enter the park through a tunnel.

Park Entrance.JPG
You have traditional architecture.

Corkscrew ACE Classic.JPG
You have classic, historical attractions.

Roller Coaster Alley Sign.JPG
You have a lineup heavy on wooden coasters.

But you also have one train ops.

The latter was particularly troubling since I was visiting on Labor Day weekend. While Lake Compounce and Kennywood are known for running one train even on the busiest of days, they at least have second trains. Silverwood doesn’t even own second trains. In fact, their rides don’t even have transfer tracks.

But the real problem was the dispatch speed. This may be a hot take, but the dispatches at Mt. Olympus or Six Flags America are way faster. The culprit was a painstakingly slow seatbelt check done separately from the lap bar check.

I feel bad saying that since the staff of Silverwood was so nice, but it has to be said. Fortunately, I have nothing else but positives to say about this amazing park.

Ferris Wheel Queue.JPG
At least they're honest some lines move slowly.

My most anticipated attraction was Tremors and it did not disappoint. Tremors has one of the best layouts of any coaster I’ve ridden. It has four underground tunnels and combines elements of both an out-and-back and twister.

The first drop is phenomenal. Back row riders get a strong pop of air and you dive underneath the gift shop. You then fly over this bunny hill with amazing sustained floater air before diving underground yet again. Front row riders then get a powerful pop of air as you enter the ride’s helix.

And that helix is something special. The laterals are comparable to Legend’s famous double helix. This is followed by a middle section that has a few more airtime hills. It does feel a bit slow though. Really that’s the only weak spot on the ride.

Tremors picks it back up for the finale. You dive underground yet again. If you’re in the back, you get a great dose of laterals and airtime. That’s followed by a great bunny hill similar to the first one before you loop back into the station.

Tremors is basically an improved version of Legend. You have comparable laterals, but far more airtime. And it’s extremely well taken care of (the Topper Track probably helps in that regard). 9 out of 10

Tremors Drop 1.JPG
Tremors registers a solid 9 on the Richter scale.

Tremors Tunnel Drop.JPG
You dive underground not once, not twice, not thrice, but four times!

Tremors Tunnel.JPG
You even fly through the gift shop, which simulates an earthquake.

Tremors Artsy.JPG
Artsy.

Tremors Aerial.JPG
This layout is fantastic. It's a delightful mess of track.

I was really looking forward to Timber Terror. I heard this was an airtime machine. And my anticipation only mounted when I saw the buzz bars.

The outward leg was incredible. The first drop had some fantastic airtime, as did the following bunny hill and double up. And the far turn had some powerful laterals. But then the ride dies.

The return leg has plenty of speed, but for whatever reason there’s no more airtime. This is true in both the front and back. The first half is a 10, but the second half is a 5. 7.5 out of 10

Also, can we take a moment to appreciate that both these wooden coasters have a height requirement of just 42”? It’s like a west coast Knoebels.

Timber Terror Sign.JPG
A volcanic tree? That's awesome! I was bummed there wasn't a t-shirt with this logo.

Timber Terror Drop.JPG
Timberrrrrrrrrr

Timber Terror Bunny Hill 1.JPG
If only the return leg could match the airtime of the outward leg.

I then looked off in the distance and had a case of deja vu. Or maybe it was PTSD? I saw a familiar green structure. However, I told myself Aftershock has the original Vekoma trains instead of the Premier trains that ruined SFNE’s Goliath.

While it still had some headbanging, this tracks far better than the one at SFNE. That allowed me to appreciate the incredible drops and Gs on the inversions. 6 out of 10

Aftershock Loop.JPG
I miss the OG Vekoma trains.

Roller Coaster Alley is also home to Silverwood’s craziest flats. The most unique is SpinCycle. It may look like your average giant frisbee, but this ride is quite unique.

For one, it inverts. But the more unique thing is that the swing is slow and controlled. This takes away all the airtime; however, you get an insane amount of hangtime. Further, you’re still spinning at a decent clip while you’re getting that hangtime.

I loved SpinCycle since its sensations were so different. Honestly, it reminded me more of those old Evolution rides than your traditional frisbee. 9 out of 10

SpinCycle Swinging (Far).JPG

SpinCycle Inverted.JPG
If Prince Desmond stood under SpinCycle, maybe he would've had enough cash to move the Big Dipper...but still no plan.

SpinCycle (Night 2).JPG
SpinCycle was an attention whore at night.

Next door is Panic Plunge, one of those amazing Larson towers. Per usual, the drop was absolutely gut-wrenching. And since Silverwood is surrounded by mountains, the view made this one extra special. 10 out of 10

Panice Plunge  Top (Far).JPG
Silverwood is in such a scenic location.

Panic Plunge Base.JPG
Those people are trying to understand what just happened.

I then made a lap of the remaining coasters, starting with the historical Corkscrew. This was the first modern coaster to invert and it rode accordingly. It was pretty jostly and had a vibration that was uncharacteristic for an Arrow. 3 out of 10

Corkscrew Entrance.JPG
Corkscrew? More like Corkscrewed.

Tiny Toot is one of the most embarrassing coasters you’ll find anywhere. For one, it’s powered. Two, it doesn’t really have a drop. But of course this single adult rode it all by his lonesome. :lol: 1 out of 10

Tiny Toot Station.JPG
Usually I have no shame. This time I had a little.

I felt much less dirty riding Krazy Koaster. Maybe it was because SBF spinners are usually pretty fun or maybe it was because the park had a sprayer at the entrance. Yes you’re reading that right. You get wet boarding this ride.

Now I said SBF spinners are usually fun. That assumes they spin of course. I got excited when the operator manually started spinning us before she dispatched the train, but we hardly spun the rest of the way. 2 out of 10

Krazy Koaster Lift.JPG
Krazy Koaster is so crazy that it's spelled with a k.

I did want to try the park’s revered train; however, it was incredibly popular. Like the Dollywood Express, this steam engine only leaves at the top of the hour. Maybe it was just the day I visited, but you couldn’t just walk up and ride it. The train would often hit capacity and people would wait for the next one.

I did take a ride on the park’s Ferris Wheel, carefully timing my ride with sunset. I figured it’d be gorgeous overlooking the mountains. The sky was beautiful, but the Ferris Wheel couldn’t quite clear the trees around it so the mountains were a bit obstructed. But the coasters were perfectly clear.

Ferris Wheel (Night).JPG

Sunset.JPG
The sky was quite beautiful. I just wish the wheel went a bit higher so I could get an unobstructed view of the mountains.

Roller Coaster Alley Aerial.JPG
But the coasters were even more beautiful.

As darkness fell across the park, I made my way over to Tremors. I always suspected it would be an incredible night ride. This is why I chose to visit on a busy Saturday since the park was open late. And my patience was rewarded.

Tremors ran like a bat-out-of-hell. Almost the entire layout was pitch black. Remember how the middle section felt slow earlier? My night rides cured that. Tremors was flat out fantastic.

I contemplated trying Timber Terror at night, but I couldn’t pull myself away from Tremors. I spent the last 2 hours on Tremors, waiting about 30-40 minutes each time.

Tremors Drop (Night).JPG
This is about all the light you get on Tremors.

I have a soft spot for traditional parks and wooden coasters. So of course I loved Silverwood! Tremors alone is worth the trip to Idaho, but Silverwood has so much more. It’s an incredibly warm and inviting place. Just beware of the one train ops on busier days.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:56 am

Another great report and a welcome addition after having not seen many Silverwood reports in a while! Thanks for sharing!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:05 am

Thanks! I'm a fan of CCIs, so Silverwood was always on my radar. I'm glad to have gotten the chance to visit, especially for Tremors.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!